PDA

View Full Version : Herself's Secret Recipes

Tink
01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
OK! Here we go! Finally! I've told so many of you about some of Herself's recipes and now I'm actually going to post them here for you!

First is the yummy cookie recipe that I raved about at Christmas. I have the recipe from our Shellyamc too, that she said I could share, and the bobotie recipe that we got directly from Boma.

If there are other recipes that we've talked about and I said I'd post please tell me!

Ok! Here we go!

Tink
01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Herself's Triple Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

(Herself would like to make it perfectly clear she did not create this recipe)!

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar (light brown was used)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (be sure to use an excellent quality vanilla)
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (used Ghirardelli's)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (used fresh)

2 ounces milk chocolate and white choclate, chopped (for drizzling)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.

Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely. (Tink would like you to know that the cookies at this point are incredibly delicious...cooled just enough to not burn, they are divine... :D ).

Stir chopped milk chocolate in top of double boiler until melted and smooth (same with white chocolate in second double boiler). Using small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies in zigzag pattern. Let stand until milk chocolate sets, about 1 hour. Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature. (HAH!!! They will NOT last 2 days. You will be lucky if they last 2 hours)!

Yeild: About 30

Johnie
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
mmmm I am going to get a cavity between this and mumof2's cupcake threads!!

Tink
01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Shellyamc's Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Additional granulated suar
1 3/4 cups (10 oz. package) Hershey's chocolate Kisses

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

In large bowl, beat shortening and peanut butter until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to peanut butter mixture, beating until well blended; shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on un-greased cookie sheet.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately place 1 Kiss on top of each cookie, pressing down lightly. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Tink
01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge's Boma

Meat Bobotie

2 pounds ground lamb, beef or a mixure of both
1/2 pounds onion, large dice
1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
1/16 loaf white bread
1/16 gallon heavy cream
1/16 pound sugar
1/4 ounce cinnamon (adjust as needed )
1/8 pound almond or pumpkin seeds, sliced
1/16 pound seedless raisins
1/16 pound golden raisins
1/8 ounce curry powder (adjust as needed)
1/8 teaspoon berebere spice mix

Topping
1/16 gallon Easy Eggs
1/16 gallon heavy cream or milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oil and caramelize the onions. Reduce heat and add dry spices. Mix well. De-glaze with rice wine vinegar. Add meat and continue to cook until meat is cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

When the meat is done drain 90% of the fat off. Then tear the bread into small pieces and add it as well as the cream to the meat mixture.

Add the sugar and mix well. Add a little bit of water if the mix looks too dry. Then add the raisins and almonds. Re-season and cool.

In a small container, place the bobotie mixture and top with the egg custard mix. Bake in the oven at 325 degrees F until golden brown and cooked through. (approx 35 min.).

Servings: 10

This is exactly the way the recipe came to us. I have added only salt and pepper to taste. Since it came from a professional kitchen, I am guessing that they didn't think it would be necessary to tell someone to salt and pepper the recipe. :unsure:

We don't use the bread, or the sugar. We do add more cinnamon and berebere.

If you would like a recipe for berebere I can provide one, but google will turn up several decent ones. It's simply a mix of spices (Ethiopian in origin).

We use only lamb.

We use regular eggs (1/16 gallon equals 8 oz. which is 6 or 4 eggs depending upon size)

Tink
01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Tink's Holiday Eggnog

Depending upon size of serving, can serve up to 25

Beat until very thick and lemon colored:
6 egg yolks
2 cups of sugar

Slowly stir in:
1 pint bourbon
1 cup Jamaica rum
1 cup brandy

Blend in:
3 pints heavy cream
1 pint whole milk

Beat until rounded peaks are formed:
6 egg whites

Gently fold egg white into egg yolk mixture. Pour into punch bowl, cover and chill in refrigerator.

Before service lightly sprinkle each portion with freshly grated nutmeg.

I vary the proportions of the alcohol. I'm not a huge fan of rum, so don't want to taste it. I have left it out and increased the other two accordingly.

Obviously it's not for children. However, you can leave out the alcohol.

Use pasturized eggs if you have any health concerns what so ever.

Beccaberry
02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Tink's Holiday Eggnog

Depending upon size of serving, can serve up to 25

Unless you're serving Becca...in which case, mix two batches :wink:

Tink
02-03-2009, 12:28 AM
:wink: :D :D

Beccaberry
02-03-2009, 12:50 AM
The way to Becca's heart and all that :D

Johnie
02-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Becca, I think we should make those cookies in a couple of weeks. We can take them to Disney with us.

Beccaberry
02-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Not *THAT* is a very good idea.

Johnie
02-03-2009, 12:56 AM
YUm, YUM, YUM. Or better yet, we can get Jon to make them and have them ready when we get back from the city :tongue:

Beccaberry
02-03-2009, 12:58 AM
OOOH even better!

mainecoon lover
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
These all sound yummy

Disneybumble
02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm they sound delish Tink. I shall make some at the weekend.

Tink
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Let me tell you, those cookies warm, are deadly. You will not be able to stop eating them. :sigh: I ate four right smack off the bat without blinking an eye. :( THEN, she went and drizzled the chocolate on! :eek: That makes them totally irresistible.

I'm telling you as a friend, mind. :D You will gobble them! :D :D

Beccaberry
02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
So what I need to do then, is bake and run?

Tink
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
:yes: It's the counter point of the cranberry. The tartness of it sets off the chocolate like you wouldn't believe! :yes: I am SO glad she will only make them at Christmas. :D

But then...I'm not much for birthday cake... :D :D birthday cookies on the other hand... :D :D :D

mumof2
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
oooooh, yummy yummy!

:hug2: Thank you Tink and Herself! The choccy cranberry oatmeal cookies sound deeee-lish! :yes:

Tink
02-03-2009, 03:34 PM
You know? If you made the white chocolate drizzle purple, along with the red of the cranberries you'd have wedding colors, eh? :D :D :wink:

Herself kept them in an airtight container with a slice of fresh white bread to keep them soft. :yes:

MystikPiglit
02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Hm..I'm sure you'd mentioned another meal a little while ago that I wanted the recipe for but I've lost the thread.... I'll have to go on a search..... :unsure:

MystikPiglit
02-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Found it!! :wiggle:

Herself makes this wicked cherry and chipotle pepper sauce for pork tenderloin...

Could I have the recipe for that sauce please? :-)

Dawn
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
No ribs recipe? :unsure:

If I make all those cookies I'll end up weighing 500lbs. :lol:

Tink
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Ooooh, I'd forgotten about the chipotle cherry sauce! I'll run the recipe to ground.

I'm not sure about those ribs, Dawn. That might really come under the heading of "secret!" :lol: I will say she uses both charcoal and gas grills to cook them. :yes: It's an event, that's for certain.

Dawn
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll just come visit and get them cooked for me then. :D

Tink
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Now that's a sensible thing. She made them one time for our Seabee relative. She left him near the grill when she came indoors. When she went back out he'd started breaking off ribs and devouring them. :lol: We all had a great laugh. He said he'd never eaten so much, nor anything so good ever.

I know I brag about her cooking too much, but it is delicious. :sorry:

MystikPiglit
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Ooooh, I'd forgotten about the chipotle cherry sauce! I'll run the recipe to ground..

Thank you.:wiggle:

Johnie
02-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Herself kept them in an airtight container with a slice of fresh white bread to keep them soft. :yes:

I have never heard this. Great tip!

Tink
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
She does it with all her soft cookies. Always has. :yes:

Britchick
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
thanks Tink :hug2: is there a substitute for berbere spice mix do you think?

Tink
02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
You could leave it out. :yes: It's not difficult to make though Brit and you can use it for loads of other things, too. Doro Wat in particular. :yes:

MystikPiglit
20-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Ahem........:prettyplease:

Ooooh, I'd forgotten about the chipotle cherry sauce! I'll run the recipe to ground..

Or is it soooo secret that you can't find it? :sherlock:

Tink
21-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Oooooh! Keep after me Mystik!!! I've a memory like a sieve! I'll try to remember to round it up for you tomorrow (been gone most of the week).

Britchick
21-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Tink i forgot to tell you we made the bobotie and it was a 'huge' hit :thumbsup:

Tink
21-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh good!!! I know you said you were going to. :yes: Did you use the bread or leave it out?

It's wicked yummy stuff, innit? :D :D

Britchick
21-03-2009, 01:15 PM
we put bread in, you wouldnt have known though. i think next time i may make it a little spicier and put some dried apricots in instead of the raisins:yes:

Tink
21-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Spices are funny things, aren't they? Sometimes we seem to add quite a bit more, and other times we don't need as much. I know some of it has to do with the freshness of the spices. We've gone to whole spices for the most part and grind them as needed.

I think apricots sound divine! That's the beauty of something like bobotie, you can change it up to suit your preferences, quite easily! :yes:

Tink
21-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Raspberry Chipotle Glaze
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, small dice
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped
2 pints fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring until sort and slightly caramelized (4 minutes). Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 1 minute. Add the chipotles and cook, stirring continuously for 1 minute. Add the raspberries and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened and reduce by half, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer, pressing on the solids with a back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.

I know Herself has replaced the fresh raspberries and sugar with raspberry preserves when fresh raspberries were not available.

This is another one of those "adjust to suit your taste" recipes.

It's usually served over pork (garlic roasted pork loin is wonderful with this sauce). :yes:

Tink
21-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I can't seem to locate the one with the cherries, so I'll ask Herself where it is hidden. :yes:

Hope the above recipe is ok in the meantime. :yes:

Tink
21-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Aha! Found it! I was confusing the two recipes. The chipotles are in the one with raspberries, and there are no chipotles with the cherries. Both are equally delicious on pork (we use the one below as a sauce for pork loin medallions that have been sauteed, but it would work well for roasted pork loin, pork chops, etc.). :yes:

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
Salt and pepper to taste
Saute shallots in the olive oil until they begin to soften, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cherries and cook until the liquid is reduced by half about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Dorothy
21-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Could and herself invite me to dinner please :wiggle:

MystikPiglit
23-03-2009, 01:20 PM
:wave:Thanks for the recipes Tink and Herself. :hug2: They sound excellent.
I'll check out my local deli for chipotles. :thumbsup: