PDA

View Full Version : I phones are cool

Skywatcher
03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
This is my first post from my lovely new iPhone . I love it so much I want to keep stroking it. The Internet on here is awesome :D

keith
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
This is my first post from my lovely new iPhone . I love it so much I want to keep stroking it. The Internet on here is awesome :D

Arent they just the best ? :D

Johnie
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Be very careful with your toys :nono: you can't get it replaced if you break it.

keith
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Be very careful with your toys :nono: you can't get it replaced if you break it.

We can in the UK :yes: iphone insurance is available at point of purchase

Skywatcher
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
The only thing I would say is the instructions could have been better. I needed google to work out how to put in the sim card :lol:

Johnie
WHAT???? Oh that is soooooo not right.

Mari
:)

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I love mine... and for someone so technologically challengued (me, not you Chris) its sooooooooooo easy to use!

Im glad you are enjoying yours!

foreverducky
03-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I would love to have one. :D
Congratulations on your new toy.

Skywatcher
03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Lisa is encouraging this carpe diem mentality. :D it's great I can keep you all in my pocket now :lol:

foreverducky
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Hope it smells good in there. It might get hot with all of us there. :lol:

Mari
03-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Lisa is encouraging this carpe diem mentality. :D it's great I can keep you all in my pocket now :lol:

hahahahaha

just make sure you check ALL those pockets before sending your trousers to the wash... Im not too good inside washing machines!

Dizneyblonde
03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
It'll be so good when you get used to it too and don't send the same message to people twice :wink2:

Skywatcher
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM
:dozey: ho ho

PsychoAlice
04-03-2009, 12:40 AM
I really must invest on the international texting plan....

josh.p.
04-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Okay... Chris... are you trying to make me jelous on purpose? first that brilliant trip to Disney and now the iPhone... :sigh:

Just kidding :D I am glad you like it! I am just a teensy bit jelous but not LOADS

Dorothy
04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
My son has an iphone and I love playing with it, except one time I touched the wrong thing and well sort of made it freak out :eek3:

He doesn't let me play with it much anymore :sigh:

PsychoAlice
04-03-2009, 01:12 AM
You didnt teach him to share Dorothy!

Wendy
04-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I want one, but because you can only get it on O2 I doubt I will ever have one :sigh: We get an awful signal on O2 where we live :sigh:

lozzy
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I total agree, I love my I Phone, best phone i've ever had, I got mine last October and it's been fab.
My son has the I Touch and thats a pretty cool to, he loves all the Apps on it.

Disneybumble
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I want one are you trying to make me cry. I hopefully will be getting a NOKIA 5800 if they come back in stock tomorrow. Is that one any good Keith.

keith
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I want one are you trying to make me cry. I hopefully will be getting a NOKIA 5800 if they come back in stock tomorrow. Is that one any good Keith.

oooo very impressed !!!

yeah I really like it. It's like a nokia version of the iphone (kinda) and it can do MMS which the iphone can't do properly so yeah, be interested to see what you think of it

catrancher
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
<center>:apple:

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:</center>

Tom (:macwave:)

PsychoAlice
04-03-2009, 02:32 PM
and iPhones are cool but Ill stick with my Fuze..I like having a real keyboard and not just all touch screen

Claire
04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I want one, but because you can only get it on O2 I doubt I will ever have one :sigh: We get an awful signal on O2 where we live :sigh:

Snap! I have to make do with a itouch instead.

josh.p.
04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Get one and get it unlocked ;) :yes:

Britchick
04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
i want to know when they'll invent a phone that you can have 2 sims in i get annoyed carrying around a work and personal mobile, surely it can't be that hard.

keith
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
i want to know when they'll invent a phone that you can have 2 sims in i get annoyed carrying around a work and personal mobile, surely it can't be that hard.

two comments :lol:

1. Orange already do "two lines" on a single sim so you can have a work and a home number on the same phone and they can be paid separately etc. Really nice solution though must check that the phone supports it AND convince orange to do it (they DO but the first line sales muppets dont usually know)

2. You can get little sim swap holders so you can easily switch between sims but its not as nice as 1

Mari
04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
You didnt teach him to share Dorothy!

hahahahaha

Britchick
04-03-2009, 08:23 PM
two comments :lol:

1. Orange already do "two lines" on a single sim so you can have a work and a home number on the same phone and they can be paid separately etc. Really nice solution though must check that the phone supports it AND convince orange to do it (they DO but the first line sales muppets dont usually know)

2. You can get little sim swap holders so you can easily switch between sims but its not as nice as 1

we're stuck with vodafone at work and that isn't going to change because of the size of the contract. They supply our vpns too.

i'll have a look into the other one. thanks Keith

Wendy
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Get one and get it unlocked ;) :yes:

I thought about that :lol:

josh.p.
04-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Well... you can get me one and get it unlocked... and then I'll let you know whether it is worth buying one for yourself ;) <runs for="" the="" hills=""> :evil: (runs for hills)
</runs>

Ursula
04-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Do you remember those phones where you put your finger in the hole and turned the dial?

PsychoAlice
04-03-2009, 11:43 PM
:yes:

Disneybumble
05-03-2009, 07:28 AM
What about a trim phone.

Dawn
05-03-2009, 07:53 AM
I remember phones that made phone calls. :unsure:

Chris does your iphone have gps thingies on it?

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 07:56 AM
yep at the stronke of a button it shows where you are on google earth or a map, you can then put in any other address and it will show you how to walk, drive get the bus or train to that other destinationa all with times of the services. yuo can also search for any services you require and it will drop pins into the map.

it is awesome

i think it also makes phone calls :unsure:

Dawn
05-03-2009, 07:58 AM
So you can use an iphone for caching?

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm sure you can - haven't fiddled with it properly yet - uploaded a cool app last night that turns it into a lightsabre though

Claire
05-03-2009, 08:04 AM
There's something on the Geocache website about an app for the iphone as I recall.

Dawn
05-03-2009, 08:18 AM
I must have one. :mental:

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
:evil: indeed

Ursula
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm sure you can - haven't fiddled with it properly yet - uploaded a cool app last night that turns it into a lightsabre though

Oh for crying out loud....

Britchick
05-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Jon's got that one too :yes: have you tried the one to get the beer to the end of the bar without spilling?

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
indeed :lol:

cool astronomy apps as well

Britchick
05-03-2009, 12:23 PM
indeed :lol:

cool astronomy apps as well

which one? is there one i can have for my touch?

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 12:38 PM
there are loads - search for , astronomy, planets and moon - I have moonmap lite and there are ones with all the constellations

frankly I am gobsmacked by all the apps - I love the spirit level one

Claire
05-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I love Tweetie!

Tink
05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Knowing nothing about iPhones... when you download all those many apps to your phone, does it slow it down at all? :unsure: If so, in what way?

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 12:53 PM
no the phone is 16gb and these apps are usualy just a few kb or mg and only operate when you click on them - much like a pc

Tink
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Ah. How is it at multi tasking? I ask because the pocket PC (from Verizon) that I use for work does not multi task well. It ends up needing to have the battery removed, etc. when it gets too overloaded (receiving emails, making calls, at the same time...).

Skywatcher
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
it seems pretty good , can open several webpages at once as well

Tink
05-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Hmmmmm...Herself is looking for a more elaborate phone... we didn't like the Blackberry. But here for an iPhone I think we need to switch to AT&T. :unsure: We had terrible trouble with them as a carrier in the past. That's why we switched to Verizon. :sigh:

catrancher
05-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Ah. How is it at multi tasking?

The iPhone isn't really designed for multi tasking per se. While it gives that appearance, it isn't really doing it. According to Apple's iPhone developer center, the iPhone applications are designed for fast launch and short use. From a users perspective, this means that the application launches every time you touch it's icon on the home screen. You then use that application to do whatever and when you're done, return to the home screen. Returning to the home screen terminates the application that's currently running. However, it does maintain the applications state so that when you launch the application the next time, it resumes right where you left off before.

Also, the applications are quite tightly integrated. If you receive an email with a link to a web page in it, clicking on that link will launch the Safari web browser instantly.

The net result of all this is that applications running on the iPhone give a user experience very similar to what you'd have on a PocketPC without the growing application overhead.

I know this is probably more information than you require but, hey, you asked! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... and yes, you can have my iPhone when you pry my cold, dead fingers off it!)

keith
05-03-2009, 02:49 PM
indeed this is true and is, (covers Tom's ears), a shortcoming on the iphone even if it's cleverly worked around :yes:

The actual working memory on an iphone is about 128Meg, still easily large enough for one app or heck a few apps, but not as capacious as the 16GB would have one believe. The 16GB flash is more like a hard disk which stores the apps.

Apple have done all sorts to stop people wanting to multitask. I got a bit fed up of them telling me why I shouldnt need to do it but the fact is that sometimes it's really useful to have an app running in the background whilst you do something else.

The most obvious example being Instant chat. You may want to chat on msn to someone then go look something up in your diary/contacts and come back to them without signing in again. Equally you may want to leave your MSN running and do other stuff then be alerted when someone messages you.

apple WERE going to address that specific need but have since got far less enthusiastic about their proposed solution (one man's solution, another man's hack etc.)

Soooooooooooooooo my thought is stand by for the next revision of the iphone to have more memory and multitasking. I think they're going to retreat on this one.

should be remembered in all this that Apple code executes at a more privileged level in the iphone and CAN stay in the background ;)

:geekon:

Taja
05-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you remember those phones where you put your finger in the hole and turned the dial?

Rotary phones. Had one until I moved to Arizona in 1978! :lol: Still have a traditional push-button phone that looks like a rotary--just has buttons instead of a dial. It's a great back-up if there's a storm and power goes out--it works without electricity. :thumbsup:

What about a trim phone.

Yep! Leu still has a wall-mounted one in her kitchen. It was installed when they bought the house around 1973 and it's outlasted every other telephone they've ever had--and it's used a lot! :D

Hmmmmm...Herself is looking for a more elaborate phone... we didn't like the Blackberry. But here for an iPhone I think we need to switch to AT&T. :unsure: We had terrible trouble with them as a carrier in the past. That's why we switched to Verizon. :sigh:

Tink, I recently read an article indicating there may be some law suits in the US regarding extended exclusive rights to phones in the US. I don't think we'll see anything soon, but many cell phone users are up in arms because they can't--or won't--use the carriers with manufacturer exclusive contracts and they are locked out of the market.

Best guess is we'll eventually see limited exclusive rights--probably 6 months to a year. But that also is likely to increase the cost of the phones--or length of contracts. Trade-offs.

catrancher
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
indeed this is true and is, (covers Tom's ears), a shortcoming on the iphone even if it's cleverly worked around :yes:

No need to cover my ears, Keith. You're absolutely correct. However, as you say, the workaround is clever... it works well... and, in my case anyway, satisfies my "multi processing" needs. From my perspective, we need to remember that these are, in actuality, phones. If you want a multi-core, fully threaded, processor to do a fast Fourier transform, a cell phone is probably not what you need. :tongue:

Soooooooooooooooo my thought is stand by for the next revision of the iphone to have more memory and multitasking. I think they're going to retreat on this one.

Or perhaps the next rev of the iPhone OS (Mac OS X). I've got the original iPhone and I've noticed that with each succeeding software rev, capabilities grow. For instance, the address book app was integrated with the phone app in the original software revs. I hated that. The latest revision has broken the address book app out into a separate entity. To the applause of the user community. Apple occasionally seems to actually listen.

Tom (:macwave:... yes, tis true, a fanatic)

keith
05-03-2009, 03:39 PM
NFrom my perspective, we need to remember that these are, in actuality, phones. If you want a multi-core, fully threaded, processor to do a fast Fourier transform, a cell phone is probably not what you need. :tongue:

GASP! :lol:

if my phone can't do ffts whilst playing tetris, making a call and being a light sabre, honestly, what use is it ;)

Or perhaps the next rev of the iPhone OS (Mac OS X). I've got the original iPhone and I've noticed that with each succeeding software rev, capabilities grow. For instance, the address book app was integrated with the phone app in the original software revs. I hated that. The latest revision has broken the address book app out into a separate entity. To the applause of the user community. Apple occasionally seems to actually listen.

In fairness, they have indeed continued to improve it :yes: and I think if they do come out with multitasking on the user level, it probably will be present in upgrades for existing phones. Probably more memory in the next revs to take more advantage but yep, it's my hope we're not left out in the single tasking cold

Now if I could only get them to listen to me about the macosx GUI

Dawn
05-03-2009, 03:41 PM
And how much will this iphone cost me?

catrancher
05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Now if I could only get them to listen to me about the macosx GUI

You got something against the Terminal? :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... grep, awk, sed, whoami?)

Ursula
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Millions it sounds like....

keith
05-03-2009, 03:45 PM
You got something against the Terminal? :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... grep, awk, sed, whoami?)

:taunt: the most wonderful thing was when I brought macosx, the original one, home for the first time. First thing I did was find the terminal and smiled :D

Absolutely love that it's unix with a fancy front end... BUT I do wish they'd sort out my niggles with the front end. I really want to fix the dock

keith
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Millions it sounds like....

or as my wife says when I ask how much a new gadget will run me "one divorce and associated costs" :unsure:

Ursula
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't even think I should be in here... it's like one of those rooms full of mirrors... you want to get out but can.t :(

keith
05-03-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't even think I should be in here... it's like one of those rooms full of mirrors... you want to get out but can.t :(

don't you want to :geekon: with us all? :unsure:

Ursula
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
No certainly not... sniffs.... commoners...

keith
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
No certainly not... sniffs.... commoners...

Would you rather be :purses:

catrancher
05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I really want to fix the dock

Fix how???? :questionmark:

Have you seen some of the goodies that people have made to make the dock sit up and bark like a doggie (metaphorically speaking)?

Like Overflow or MoofMenu.

Tom (just trying to help... :macwave:)

keith
05-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Fix how???? :questionmark:

Have you seen some of the goodies that people have made to make the dock sit up and bark like a doggie (metaphorically speaking)?

Like Overflow or MoofMenu.

Tom (just trying to help... :macwave:)

I shall have to PM you with my objections to the DOCK to save the good people here from shouting at me about being even more geeky than normal but I have fundamental disagreements on the usability of the thing, the right hand document side especially! :yes:

I reckon a month with the macosx dev team with Steve Jobs out of the way and I'd have it "fixed" ;)

Dawn
05-03-2009, 04:05 PM
No one has told me how much yet. Are you all protecting me? :unsure:

catrancher
05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
I shall have to PM you with my objections to the DOCK to save the good people here from shouting at me about being even more geeky than normal but I have fundamental disagreements on the usability of the thing, the right hand document side especially! :yes:

I reckon a month with the macosx dev team with Steve Jobs out of the way and I'd have it "fixed" ;)

Please do send me a PM about it. Maybe... just maybe... we can do something about it (after all xcode and IB are also your friends). :wink:

Tom (always looking for opportunities... :macwave:)

catrancher
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
No one has told me how much yet.

I'll tell you what I used to tell my customers when I was in computer sales.

"How much ya got?" :laugh2:

Seriously, I have no idea what they run in the UK. Here in the US, I just got a new 3G one for my wife last Christmas. I think it was $199 for the phone with a 2 year AT&T contract. Your price and mileage may vary.

Debbie2
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Would you rather be :purses:

FINALLY...something in this thread I can relate to and understand. I love that smilie :thumbsup:

Britchick
05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
No one has told me how much yet. Are you all protecting me? :unsure:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphoneindex?cm_re=consumerarea-_-leftbox-_-iPhone3GPayMOnthly

Dawn
05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
*sob*

I can't carpe that much diem. Apparently we have to feed the boy.

Johnie
05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll tell you what I used to tell my customers when I was in computer sales.

"How much ya got?" :laugh2:

Seriously, I have no idea what they run in the UK. Here in the US, I just got a new 3G one for my wife last Christmas. I think it was $199 for the phone with a 2 year AT&T contract. Your price and mileage may vary.

Wow that is a good deal. I have AT&T and it is a lot more than that every time I look.

josh.p.
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
*sob*

I can't carpe that much diem. Apparently we have to feed the boy.
Yeh, but if you get an iPhone he will be too distracted with the lightsaber to even *notice* he is hungry :evil:

Skywatcher
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
the lightsabre is awesome i have matthew on there with his own lightsabe colour and a photo of him next to it - he nearly feinted