PDA

View Full Version : I was at the gym yesterday when...

Beccaberry
05-03-2009, 06:08 PM
...a man walked up to the elliptical beside mine.

I glanced in his direction and then proceeded to do a double take.

It is at this time that I came to a very decisive conclusion.

If you believe you can work out AND drink steaming hot Dunkin Donuts coffee at the same time, you may need to reconsider your workout regime.

Britchick
05-03-2009, 06:09 PM
...a man walked up to the elliptical beside mine.

I glanced in his direction and then proceeded to do a double take.

It is at this time that I came to a very decisive conclusion.

If you believe you can work out AND drink steaming hot Dunkin Donuts coffee at the same time, you may need to reconsider your workout regime.

:ROFL1: at least he didn't have the donut too! I had someone say to her friend after she'd been on the treadmill for some time that she was going out for a ciggie- why bother going to the gym? sheesh

lisaw
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I wonder how many doughnuts he had eaten before getting to the gym! :laugh:

Beccaberry
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I filed this under another decisive conclusion I made years ago...

I have no need to belong to a gym where it is common practice for miniscule twentysomethings to wander about on the gym floor offering pizza samples.

mumof2
05-03-2009, 06:24 PM
:laugh:

Britchick
05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I filed this under another decisive conclusion I made years ago...

I have no need to belong to a gym where it is common practice for miniscule twentysomethings to wander about on the gym floor offering pizza samples.

:unsure:

Beccaberry
05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
I kid you not.

It was ridiculous.

Tink
05-03-2009, 06:28 PM
One way to insure that members needed to keep going to the gym. :rolleyes2:

Rosie0610
05-03-2009, 07:34 PM
That is nuts! I've seen that at my gym before too but not while on the machines. Mostly people just walking around chit-chatting!

Mari
05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
hahahahahahaha

Johnie
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
hmmm I knew there was a reason I didn't like the gym.

foreverducky
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
That's insane. Sadly, I've drank my diet coke while on the elliptical.

I don't like gyms, first for all the germs floating around. And secondly, I tend to get too competitive while on a machine next to someone. :)

Btw, it was so nice here that I got to exercise outside. :D

Beccaberry
06-03-2009, 01:17 AM
I have two kids, therefore I like the gym. :wink:

It's the quietest hour and a half of my day :D

Johnie
06-03-2009, 01:19 AM
:tongue: a good way to get some peace and quiet.

I just wish there was a fat people gym :yes: The toned and muscular people intimidate me.

Beccaberry
06-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I know what you mean, Johnie.

Last week I decided to add strength training to my workouts. I did a bit of research, chatted with a trainer friend of mine and was *pumped*. I walked over to the weight equipment and I immediately panicked. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move, I couldn't even remember my name. I felt completely out of control and I suddenly felt like everyone was staring at me. I somehow managed to flee to the women's bathroom and hid for about twenty minutes before retreating to the safety and anonymity of the elliptical once more.

I don't know why I was so intimidated. The machines are unfamiliar, sure...but I'm not typically bothered by new experiences. In the end, after thinking about it...and of course analyzing it for ages...there was something disconcerting about being on the machines or on the floor with the bands and the balls...something akin to "making a spectacle of myself." On the elliptical, I can be anonymous, one of 45 other people pedaling away...I get lost in my music and quite forget where I am. But on the floor...on the machines...well there I would be...on display...for everyone to see...and everyone to judge. I felt unworthy, as if people would say, "Seriously? You're working out? With a ball? You're gonna need a lot more than a ball." or "Don't bust the bands fatty." And the machines themselves...I just felt like I was in the way of the "real" people who wanted to use the machines.

Back on the elliptical I watched all the "real" people exercise...and then I got mad :D *I* wanted to be down there, too! Two days later I tried again...this time a bit more determined...I haven't looked back since :D

And the "muscles" they're quite nice actually, and ALWAYS willing to hand out a bit of free advice :D

Johnie
06-03-2009, 01:30 AM
:hug2: good for you for getting out there! I know exactly what you are talking about.

Beccaberry
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I may have trumped the elliptilizing coffee drinker. I walked into the gym yesterday to find a woman on the elliptical (probably mid sixties) in full make-up, every hair in place (HAD to be Aquanet) with her very GINORMOUS purse hanging from her shoulder.

Locker? Party of one!

Still not convinced she won't come off of it lopsided...

Taja
08-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I've seen a lot of women with perfect make-up, workout gear and accessories in a gym. But a purse? That's a new one for me! :lol: