PDA

View Full Version : Clothing vent

Johnie
08-03-2009, 02:33 AM
argh!!!

What is up with the clothes this season????

Seriously? Everything seems to be a tunic or empire waist design. Ok, ummmmm...that makes almost everyone (myself included) look like they are pregnant! That is NOT a look I am trying to achieve.

What happened to solid colored tops? The patterns are everywhere and ugly.

Then of all the horrors, I was told that shoulder pads and stirrup pants are coming back :sorry: :thumbsdown:

foreverducky
08-03-2009, 02:57 AM
i personally love empire waist shirt, but I have to say I really do dislike the tunics and the horrible prints are now currently popular.

And yes, I am staying away from shoulder pads. Didn't like them then, don't like them now.....and please, stirr up pants makes everyone look bad.

Mari
08-03-2009, 03:55 AM
I TOTALLY agree...
you have to be 6ft tall and weigh less than 120 pounds to look "ok" in big bright patterns and tunics....

SHOULDER PADS??? ... SERIOUSLY?????

PsychoAlice
08-03-2009, 04:03 AM
I am not getting my curling iron back out for big hair....

Tinker
08-03-2009, 04:18 AM
the styles are horrible . Johnie, Fashion Bug has had some variety .

Britchick
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
they reckon if you wore the style the first time round you are too old to wear it the second!

Dizneyblonde
08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
That's me out then!

mumof2
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
That's me out then!

and me!

lisaw
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
they reckon if you wore the style the first time round you are too old to wear it the second!

Thank goodness for that! I lived in stirrup pants with pixie boots and little fluffy socks with a big baggy top over - not a look I want to repeat and those where the days when i was slim enough to wear pretty little dresses :rolleyes:

foreverducky
08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes, I remember wearing the stir-up pants with the biggest shirt ever, with some plastic do-da attached to the side that squeezed the bottom of the shirt.

Tink
08-03-2009, 01:40 PM
:lol: I remember that look! The big plastic belt buckle sort of thing that you fed an edge of the shirt through and pulled it to gather to the side. Or, simply tied a knot in it!

I was one of those people who cut shoulder pads out of everything (where possible, some were between the lining and the outer construction, so those remained). I never liked the linebacker look. :D

One of the many reasons I wear my "uniform" of pleated front trousers (with or without cuffs) and long or short sleeved oxford style shirts. I may or many not use a blazer/jacket (Florida doesn't give you many opportunities) and that's about it.

I hate clothes that are too tight, made of manmade fabric, so thin they are see through, without pockets... It's miserable trying to find clothes. :sigh:

SleepinCatz
08-03-2009, 01:57 PM
If you are my size the horror gets worse....Fluffeh ladies should NEVER wear horizontal stripes...and yet...there they are! Or worse...*shudder* HUGE floral or pasiley prints! What do they think? that's going to make us magically look a size 5? Give me a break ppl.....did you know the average size buyer for Lane Bryant is a 5? MY SHOES ARE BIGGER THAN THAT!!!! Please Dear Lord in heaven...send us designers, buyers and shop owners that celebrate the fluffeh ones!!!!

Tink
08-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh my gosh, Lane Bryant is the worst! :eek: I used to try and shop there for work clothes and would get so disgusted. :( I actually spoke to some of the women working there and asked if they ever carried anything that didn't cling or wasn't cut down to the nipples.

Ugh. Don't get me started on that place! :argue::stormmad::madflames:

SleepinCatz
08-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I find these days I like Catherines and Romans....They do have some beautiful stuff at reasonable prices :)

Tink
08-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I never bought anything from either place, but must say I did see many things I liked. The Romans place never had what I wanted in stock. :unsure: Plus, neither of those places have much in the way of natural fibre. :sigh:

Right now I'm ok with the "uniform" but it didn't work at all when I was a woman of substance. :eek: Tucked in oxford style shirts and pleated front trousers do NOT work on a short, very fluffy person! :eek: :lol: I'm not where I need to be, but I am ok in that look now.

I prefer to think of it as my "classic Maine" look. :D (No flannel allowed, thank you very much)! LOL! :wink:

BevW
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I need to find a Clearwater Creek place. Sometimes they have awesome sales and some really CUTE clothes that don't look too old. I was in Target the other day and almost gagged...I'm trying to find a SIMPLE cute sundress, and all they had was UGLY. I can do ugly all by myself thank you very much...I don't need help there....I want CUTE!

Shoulder pads need to die and stay dead. I'm with you Tink..cut those nasty things off...I have shoulders, I don't need enhancement. :lol: I don't want to look like Ahnold.

Johnie
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I can't stand Lane Bryant either. All they sell are hootchy mama clothes.

I've had luck with Catherines and some of the online places.

I cut the shoulder pads out too! I have broad enough shoulders on my own.

Oh PA, I am WAITNG for the day big hair comes back! That is a style I can rock with ease :tongue:

Johnie
08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
If you are my size the horror gets worse....Fluffeh ladies should NEVER wear horizontal stripes...and yet...there they are! Or worse...*shudder* HUGE floral or pasiley prints! What do they think? that's going to make us magically look a size 5? Give me a break ppl.....did you know the average size buyer for Lane Bryant is a 5? MY SHOES ARE BIGGER THAN THAT!!!! Please Dear Lord in heaven...send us designers, buyers and shop owners that celebrate the fluffeh ones!!!!

Oh you know that reminds me of my other pet peeve. I get all of these plus size clothes catalogs in the mail. Do any of the models have fat on them? Oh goodness no! They are all thin. I'm sure they are called plus size in the twisted fashion world. They are skinny in the normal world!!

PsychoAlice
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
I can too Johnie..but i dont wanna!

Taja
09-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Good thing I can design and sew my own clothing! :lol:

Short and fluffy is not good for the styles and prints currently available. I've worn all of them at least once and will pass on them a second time. And that includes stirrup pants. I think this is their fourth incarnation in my lifetime--and I've avoided the things every time! :rolleyes:

Shoulder pads? I like thin ones that just provide a clean line in jackets--not the linebacker or soldier style. But I have relatively narrow shoulders. And no shoulder pads in blouses/shirts, please! :nono: