PDA

View Full Version : Heroes come home....

Ursula
12-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Tomorrow we are going to the town to welcome our troops back from a 6 month stint. All the more voices the better to drown out the protesters :thumbsdown: I was lucky enough to be able to speak to some troops last week and I went and bought a support for heroes wrist band and was able to thank them personally for all they are doing and it was an honour.

Tinker
12-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I think you are wonderful, Helly . :hug2: Protestors ? Screw Them ! Can I say that :unsure: I always thank a soldier for serving and keeping us safe , no matter where I see them .

Johnie
12-03-2009, 01:29 AM
You know a person can be against a war all they want but it's not fair to treat the soldiers badly. They are doing their job. I'm glad you will go support them.

Tink
12-03-2009, 02:15 AM
If we learned anything from the Vietnam Era (my Da was involved in that war) it's that we can protest the war, but never deny the sacrifice that the troops are making.

Society was wrong then, to take it out on the military personnel. :( I'm very happy to see we seem to have learned that lesson well.

I am completely opposed to our presence in Iraq. I am completely supportive of every "soldier" who goes there in the line of duty to her/his country.

Thank you Helly. :hug2:

Claire
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Thank you Helly for doing this. Please take my support with you and be my voice as well tomorrow as I can't make it to any such occasion. :hug1:

catrancher
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I was in the service during the Viet Nam era and can tell you from personal experience what it's like to be spit on in an airport. :thumbsdown:

To all of you who are giving of your time and effort to go out and thank the troops for their service, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... a veteran, and proud of it!)

mumof2
12-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Tom :hug2:

i can understand protesting against the war, but not in the face of the men and women who have just arrived home safely after putting their lives at risk.

MystikPiglit
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
All the more voices the better to drown out the protesters :thumbsdown: .

Please shout a 'hurrah' on my behalf too. :thumbsup:

Tom.:hug2:

Tink
12-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Tom, that is exactly what I'm talking about. :hug2: Thank you for your service to us, during the Vietnam War. It's a poorly understood war. Many do not realize that quite often one tour of Vietnam lasted longer for the service person than did WWII overall. :(

Johnie
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Tom :hug2:

i can understand protesting against the war, but not in the face of the men and women who have just arrived home safely after putting their lives at risk.

:hug2: to you. Thank you for serving your country and protecting our freedom.

Ursula
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Well I got there in plenty of time me and DH and Dad... We got our picnic chairs out to wait ready. It was a bit chilly and blustery but not too bad, it could have been worse it could have been raining hard. Suddenly we could hear in the distance a marching band... there were lots of people lining the high street and a police presence was felt. The atmosphere was light and nothing sinister in the air. There was a lone Muslim woman standing by waiting with us, which was unusual.

Suddenly the band came nearer and then the troops were marching towards us... We stood up and everyone started clapping, as the troops got level to me I couldn't contain myself anymore... I started yelling as loud as I could THANK YOU! THANK YOU! SO PROUD OF YOU, THANK YOU EVERYBODY, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO..... I got a few smiles from them as they proudly marched on by and then they were gone..... I was the only gobby one there..... but oh well it felt really darn good! It was an honour to be able to welcome them home.

Tink
12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I would have been yelling right along with you Helly! And most likely blubbing like a fool. It's the uniforms. There is something that undoes me anytime I see a group in uniform (well, with the exception of the boy scouts :lol: ). Or fly overs. :eek: Instant tears.

You KNOW that it made their day to have so many people there and to have you showing how very happy you were for them! :yes:

Ursula
12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I hope so because I really was the ONLY gobby one there.... but I didn't let that put me off, I don't embarrass easily... too bliddy confident for me own good. Other bystanders turned to look at me but they were grinning at me... so I carried on and would have done so anyway. I did think.. oh gawd was I being disrespectful? But it's too late now it's done.

MystikPiglit
12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I was the only gobby one there..... but oh well it felt really darn good! It was an honour to be able to welcome them home.

Well done you!!! And thanks for doing it. :hug2:

There is something that undoes me anytime I see a group in uniform (well, with the exception of the boy scouts :lol: ). Or fly overs. :eek: Instant tears.

Me too. I had to stop going to the Rememberance Day parades because I couldn't stop crying. :sigh:

mumof2
12-03-2009, 02:44 PM
awwww Helly :hug2:

Tink
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Helly, I think the returning troops need a bit more of your brand of "welcome home!" It's good to know that someone cared enough to be moved to shout!!! :9:

Disrespect? Of course not! It's a joyous event!

Heck, my grandfather told me that the streets of Paris (and other cities/areas) in France erupted at the liberation. The French were running and shouting and kissing the soldiers... exuberance has it's time and place!!!

Now, had you charged the line and flung yourself into the arms of that tall handsome one there, wrapping yourself around him like a cloak, that might have been just a touch too overboard... :wink: :lol:

Britchick
12-03-2009, 05:53 PM
was it the Royal Anglicans Helly? my friend's son was marching, he marched in Stamford too. I can't believe the protesters they have made me so mad, i totally agree with free speech but going to a welcome home parade and making signs saying 'baby killers' is totally out of order imo. The other point of course is that if i stood and protested outside a mosque with a banner saying 'terrorist' i would be in jail quicker that you can say osama bin laden. There is no equity.

anyway well done Helly, I know that the soldiers and their families get great strength from people appreciating what they do whether they believe in the cause or not. :hug2:

Tink
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Ulitimately, the "cause" is that our children, our spouses, our parents, our other relatives, our friends, our neighbors, and people we don't know have put their lives on the line. Period. That is the "cause."

Anyone who has the courage to do that has my complete and utter respect.

uscwest
12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I was in the service during the Viet Nam era and can tell you from personal experience what it's like to be spit on in an airport. :thumbsdown:

To all of you who are giving of your time and effort to go out and thank the troops for their service, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... a veteran, and proud of it!)I am also a Vietnam Era Vet, USAF. I have to admit that I was always treated with respect when I was in uniform. I served in the USAFE Honor Guard and we did a funeral for a military vet in France and they couldn't have been nicer to us.

Tink
12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
You are, John? I guess I didn't know that! :hug2: Thank you! :hug2:

Ursula
12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
was it the Royal Anglicans Helly? my friend's son was marching, he marched in Stamford too. I can't believe the protesters they have made me so mad, i totally agree with free speech but going to a welcome home parade and making signs saying 'baby killers' is totally out of order imo. The other point of course is that if i stood and protested outside a mosque with a banner saying 'terrorist' i would be in jail quicker that you can say osama bin laden. There is no equity.

anyway well done Helly, I know that the soldiers and their families get great strength from people appreciating what they do whether they believe in the cause or not. :hug2:

They were called "The Poachers" If that means anything to you?

Britchick
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
They were called "The Poachers" If that means anything to you?

same thing hun :yes: just watched it on the news- were you on? lol

Ursula
12-03-2009, 07:35 PM
No lol..... guess I was too much of an embarrassment lol. I looked out though for us. n If your friends son was there today ask him if he saw a mad mare yelling out THANK YOU lol....

Britchick
12-03-2009, 07:40 PM
No lol..... guess I was too much of an embarrassment lol. I looked out though for us. n If your friends son was there today ask him if he saw a mad mare yelling out THANK YOU lol....

i will, he looks so young bless him- i will ask her if it's ok to post a photo of them both

Ursula
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
i will, he looks so young bless him- i will ask her if it's ok to post a photo of them both

If he was there he couldn't have failed to hear me lol. I was right at the end near the top of the hilly bit :D

Britchick
12-03-2009, 08:16 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff216/charliesangel2007/n1033386414_334501_7275112.jpg

isn't he young? and doesn't she look proud!

Tink
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I think she looks hysterically grateful that he's home alive.

And yes, he's too young. :( Thank him for me, ok? :yes:

mumof2
12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I think she looks hysterically grateful that he's home alive.

And yes, he's too young. :( Thank him for me, ok? :yes:

:yes: just what i was thinking Tink, i swear I don't know what I'd do if any of my children (or my brothers and sisters children) chose to join the Army....:sorry:

That picture just makes me want to hug them both and say 'thank goodness he's home safely' - how on earth did she cope.....:hug2:

Mari
12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
You know a person can be against a war all they want but it's not fair to treat the soldiers badly. They are doing their job. I'm glad you will go support them.

I totally agree

Ursula
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
OMG he is just a baby bless him :( It's all wrong :(

Ursula
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Did he hear me yelling?

Britchick
13-03-2009, 06:22 PM
no! maybe you're not as loud as you think (what am i thinking :unsure::tongue:)