PDA

View Full Version : Idle question #98...groups in uniforms

Tink
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I was just wondering...

What, if anything, moves you to instant tears (or the overwhelming feeling that you are going to well up)?

I used to think it was a connection to funerals, the uniformed group thing as that was my first experience with the reaction. But I've come to learn it's more than that.

I was driving along 75 one time when a huge contingent of police cars and motorcycles (in the northbound lane) passed. I had to pull over.

When there are fly overs for sports events, or for any symbolic presentation, it happens...

So, is there something in your life that moves you to tear almost without fail?

mumof2
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
new babies!

good news,

bad news,

when i've spent ages cooking something and then i drop it......

Ursula
12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Seeing rows and rows of headstones in a military graveyard. Seeing MacMillan nurses, they helped my Mum when she was dying of cancer and were a blessing to us to have them in the home. Funeral cars... I always make the sign of the cross. And ambulances flashing in a hurry, although I don't know who's inside I start praying for them, then if they suddenly pull over I hold my breath and pray harder than ever :(

MystikPiglit
12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Hearing 'Amazing Grace' on bagpipes. Instant blubbing every time. It was played at my Father's funeral.
Once when we were on a coach trip in the Highlands we alighted from the coach and there was a piper there playing it. I burst into tears.... very embarassing..... :sigh:

Tink
12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh my gosh, MystikPiglit, that would do me in too. :yes: Pipes are incredibly moving. :yes: I tend to get "wiggly" (my response to knowing that I'm going to well up) at Scotland the Brave too...

MystikPiglit
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I tend to get "wiggly" (my response to knowing that I'm going to well up) at Scotland the Brave too...

Yep, that would do it too.

mumof2
12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
i *adore* Amazing Grace, yes - i hadn't thought of that. that's one that moves me...

Dawn
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM
This is going to make me sound like a real sap but...

When you're driving along a busy road and you hear a siren and there's an ambulance coming. All the cars pull over to let the ambulance through. That sight always fills me up.

uscwest
12-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I live in Virginia and it is rare to see traffic stop for a funeral. However, I have attended a couple in Indiana and almost everyone in both directions stops and lets the funeral procession go by. This is very touching.

mumof2
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
i stop if i can for funeral processions.

I'll never forget at my Nanny's we were all travelling together then we had to stop at the roundabout and not one B***er would let us go to catch up with the rest of the procession.....it was in London, why would we expect anything else?!

I just stopped for one at a roundabout the other day, i was only going round it slowly anyway so i let them out it front of me.

Rosie0610
12-03-2009, 05:40 PM
This is a hard one for me- I cry over commercials!

Even though I know it's fake, I'll cry when someone dies on a tv show or movie. I cry when watching A Baby Story on TLC. I cry when seeing other people cry.

I'm an emotional person I guess.

One odd thing is my gut nervous reaction when something bad happens (DH hurts himself doing something dumb) is to giggle. It's very embarrassing sometimes.

Claire
12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Any kind of suffering will do it for me. Tomorrow night I will be a mess watching Comic Relief. Puffy eyed and sniffing in between laughing like an idiot.

Also, I've avoided it as best I can so far but on the lunchtime news today they showed a clip of Jade Goody's wedding. Next thing I knew I was balling like a baby.

Britchick
12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
i'm pretty blubby at times about small things but what gets me is soldiers being reunited with their families

foreverducky
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Any military songs make me tear up. I even tear up at the lowering of the flag at disney.

Rosie0610
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
i'm pretty blubby at times about small things but what gets me is soldiers being reunited with their families

Oh, yes me too! My DH just tells me to turn off the news!

Johnie
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I always pull over for funeral processions. I was taught it is the respectful thing to do. I was also told to turn on my headlights too. But so many cars now have automatic running day lights. I think it is much more common practice in smaller localities than in bigger cities.

Amazing Grace always makes me cry. Many gospel songs do as well. I am frequently moved to tears when I hear people sing in person.

Soliders reuniting with families makes me tear up.

I'm a big sap and cry easily at many things.

PsychoAlice
13-03-2009, 12:22 AM
When I am overwhelmed by anything and I have to ask for help for anything...so i guess me having to break my pride make me cry every freaking time

Johnie
13-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Apparently lots of tv shows make me cry as well

PsychoAlice
13-03-2009, 04:13 AM
oh god...every episode of secret life of the american teenager...im a blubbering idiot

Beccaberry
14-03-2009, 02:02 AM
The Castle

The "changing of the guard" at Arlington National Cemetery

My dad in his uniform

The breaking, frail sound of my grandfather's voice these days

The poem that Jon wrote/read to me the night we were engaged

PsychoAlice
14-03-2009, 05:49 AM
I now have another one...the entire movie of "Taking Chance"

Taja
14-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I guess I'm consistently inconsistent. :shrug:

Things I expect to make me cry may or may not, and others completely broadside me! I'm more emotional than I used to be, but more in private than public. But that was the way I was raised. It's okay to laugh, have fun or even be a bit sad in public, but serious emotions are reserved for private.

I believe I am my parents! Not necessarily a bad thing, but not something I expected to happen to the extent it has! :D

Beccaberry
16-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Another one for me...as witnessed yet *again* when it shuffled on my ipod yesterday at the gym. The music video for "If Everyone Cared" by Nickelback....do you know how ridiculous I look all teary eyed on the ELLIPTICAL!? :mental:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bEUE-wMQBv8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bEUE-wMQBv8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PsychoAlice
16-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Feel the burn Becca..feel the burn lol

Beccaberry
16-03-2009, 12:56 PM
LOL!!! :laugh:

Indeed, PA...and I believe the "burn" was the sting of sweat mingling with my tears and dripping into my eyes!!

Tink
16-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Is this where I confess that the lead singer for Nickelback needs to be doing heavy metal? :sorry: His voice grates on my ears when he tries to do ballads. :sigh:

I remember the peace marches in North Ireland. :yes: I remember the Mother who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and have often wondered what became of her.

Beccaberry
16-03-2009, 01:06 PM
So shall I send back your "Chad Kroeger - All Ballads All The Time" CD I bought you for your birthday, then? :wink:

Tink
16-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Ummmm... geez. :sigh: I guess you'd better. :sigh:

Must admit when the clips of the march were shown in the video...instant welling up. :sigh: What a mush I am becoming with age.

We bought Seth Nicholas a Guitar Hero Air Band "thingy." Who knew that is was some sort of "hot toy" that adults were into too? :lol: (We looked it up on youtube to show him how it was supposed to be "played with" and to introduce him to the concept of airband... but anyway). One of the songs on the thing is Smoke on the Water...

We heard him in the bathroom when he was washing his hands... "dahhhhhhh dahhhh dah dah...!" LOL. Who would have though two old women would be teaching a five year old about head banging, and air bands to the tune of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Boston! :laugh: Tears though...too cute.

Deb
16-03-2009, 01:43 PM
That's too funny about Seth and the Air Band thing Tink!!! :D

I well up every time I hear the Last Post played on bugles, usually on Remembrance Sunday. It's so poignant and contains so much meaning in the reason it's played.

MystikPiglit
16-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Who would have though two old women would be teaching a five year old about head banging, and air bands to the tune of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Boston! :laugh: .

:applaudit: Real music. :D

Johnie
17-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Ummmm... geez. :sigh: I guess you'd better. :sigh:

Must admit when the clips of the march were shown in the video...instant welling up. :sigh: What a mush I am becoming with age.

We bought Seth Nicholas a Guitar Hero Air Band "thingy." Who knew that is was some sort of "hot toy" that adults were into too? :lol: (We looked it up on youtube to show him how it was supposed to be "played with" and to introduce him to the concept of airband... but anyway). One of the songs on the thing is Smoke on the Water...

We heard him in the bathroom when he was washing his hands... "dahhhhhhh dahhhh dah dah...!" LOL. Who would have though two old women would be teaching a five year old about head banging, and air bands to the tune of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Boston! :laugh: Tears though...too cute.

:tongue: that is too cute! So are ya'll jamming out with Seth?

Tink
17-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Yepper. :D It's amazing how funny it is to watch a little kid who has no clue... :lol:

Youtube is a real bonus though. Found a live version of Deep Purple doing Smoke on the Water. (Although Seth insists on saying Smoke in the water...)! LOL. Found Boston, and Black Sabbath doing Iron Man, and the Kinks. He watches them very intently and has already recognized that he "needs more hair" to be a headbanger! :lol:

Johnie
17-03-2009, 02:08 AM
:tongue: he is a smart little man. Tell him that most of these rockers now have short hair.