PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a volcano

Dawn
16-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I have this hole in my garden. Before I fill it with concrete and move the greenhouse there I want to do something with it. Following a tour round the year 3 science fair last week and a discussion with their teachers I have decided I want to build a volcano. :evil:

OK I need some help with the erupting fluid. Not having a ready supply of magma I need to create it myself. The obvious way would be to pour vinegar over bicarb but I was hoping for something a bit more spectacular.

I was going for sulphur and ammonium dichromate - Adrian is quivering behind the sofa at this point - but had to ditch that as the dichromate stuff is a known carcinogen.

Then I thought of thermite. You can't buy thermite but you can buy the ingredients to make thermite. (Adrian now under the table in the foetal position) But thermite just burns and would probably melt through the bottom of the hole rather than erupt upwards.

So.....

Does anyone have any other suggestions? A history degree is a bit useless for volcano building projects. :sorry:

Britchick
16-03-2009, 06:53 PM
i don't know but can we have some magnesium strips, i like them:yes:

just going to get my goggles....:exit:

Dawn
16-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Are they the pretty purple ones?

Ursula
16-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Ooh you have to have potassium.

catrancher
16-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Strange as it may sound, salt peter and sugar mixed together used to work quite well for some of us in younger days. However, do stand clear as you light it since it does "erupt" rather spectacularly. Here's what it looks like:

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0wPvuB06nA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0wPvuB06nA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Tom (:macwave:... who disavows any knowledge of your action!)

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:05 PM
i remember them being white but there maybe purple ones :unsure:

can we stick potassium permanganate (sp?) down worm holes?

purllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :beg:

Claire
16-03-2009, 07:07 PM
What's wrong with knitting as a hobby?

Ursula
OMG! How cool is that Tom?... I may have found my soulmate!

Dawn
:mental: :mental: :mental:

Where can I get some of that salt peter stuff?

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Strange as it may sound, salt peter and sugar mixed together used to work quite well for some of us in younger days. However, do stand clear as you light it since it does "erupt" rather spectacularly. Here's what it looks like:

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0wPvuB06nA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0wPvuB06nA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Tom (:macwave:... who disavows any knowledge of your action!)

you the man Tom!!!!! that Dawn but bigger :yes:

Dawn
16-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Can't go too much bigger though - risk taking out the neighbour's chickens. :eek:

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Can't go too much bigger though - risk taking out the neighbour's chickens. :eek:

we'll move them temporarily while we complete our experiment :evil:

Ursula
16-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I say go for it... sod the chooks!

Hex
16-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Why am I hiding under the sofa you ask?

Dawn is dangerous enough with basic tools... I found her hammering a large screw into a wooden fence post at the weekend with a club hammer, because she found the hammer first before a screwdriver... she was hanging a bird feeder.

She should not be allowed near explosives or other chemicals... she is a danger to herself, let alone anyone within a 2-mile radius :rolleyes:

Don't feed the crazy person, please... :lol:

ok... the sofa is not safe enough... I am going to my bunker under the patio now :)

Dawn
16-03-2009, 07:14 PM
:evil:

Salt peter = potassium nitrate = easily available garden fertilizer.

And sugar.

What proportions Tom?

Isafari
16-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I say go for it... sod the chooks!

:eek3::toetap:

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:16 PM
oh good grief all this talk of chemicals an ferterlisers may have MI5 onto us :unsure: but if Rupert Penry Jones turnes up i'll keep him busy :tongue:

catrancher
16-03-2009, 07:18 PM
I am going to my bunker under the patio now :)

My dear Hex,

Please forgive my contribution to the delinquency of a ... (fill in the blank)

Enclosed is a gift certificate for an inordinately large fire extinguisher. Please use it in good health! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... I think I'll take my pills now and have a lie down)

Hex
16-03-2009, 07:19 PM
You know, the authorities are known keep track of certain products that contain ingredients that can be extracted and used for "other purposes"...

Place an unusual order for a large quantity of nitrogen based fertilizer and a few other choice substances and electronics, and you may get a visit from some serious people in dark suits...

catrancher
16-03-2009, 07:20 PM
What proportions Tom?

I have no idea. I've suddenly forgotten how to speak English!

:lalala:

Tom (:macwave:... cuts his losses and runs)

Hex
16-03-2009, 07:20 PM
My dear Hex,

Please forgive my contribution to the delinquency of a ... (fill in the blank)

Enclosed is a gift certificate for an inordinately large fire extinguisher. Please use it in good health! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... I think I'll take my pills now and have a lie down)
:)

Dawn
16-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Don't worry, I just joined an amateur pyrotechnics forum. :rotfl:

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Don't worry, I just joined an amateur pyrotechnics forum. :rotfl:

:exit:

Ursula
16-03-2009, 07:25 PM
It's fun being a delinquent... I've been on other forums where people are just breathtakingly vile and nasty to others... give me delinquency any day.

Dawn
16-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I think I might do a series of tiny eruptions to see what works best then build a big one.

If I do it in the front garden it could become a tourist attraction. :lol:

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I think I might do a series of tiny eruptions to see what works best then build a big one.

If I do it in the front garden it could become a tourist attraction. :lol:

and then you could have one big one and lots of little ones round the side :yes:

Dizneyblonde
16-03-2009, 07:42 PM
According to Brit's other crush Richard Hammond a mint in a bottle of coke is pretty spectacular too.

Britchick
16-03-2009, 07:47 PM
According to Brit's other crush Richard Hammond a mint in a bottle of coke is pretty spectacular too.

:lol: gone off him now :yes:

Ursula
16-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Yep a soft chewy mint put into the lid of the bottle and placed back on bottle....

Dawn
16-03-2009, 07:50 PM
3 volcanoes now. :evil:

josh.p.
16-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Don't worry Adrian, just get steven to play his new piano REALLY loud and you might not hear it *too* much. :evil:

Dawn... I suggest you do a volcano AND a mentos and diet coke SPECTACULAR!

Of course this needs to be filmed :nod:

Ursula
16-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Rushes round to Dawns house.... sounds like serious fun going on there!

Deb
17-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I have just read through this thread.

That's all.

:eek3:

Skywatcher
17-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Personally I would go to the local boat shop and buy a flare :D

Dawn
17-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Well I did also think about fireworks but there's a lack of lava flow with those. :lol:

Wonder what I could do with jelly... :unsure:

Skywatcher
17-03-2009, 07:48 AM
but but but the flares are red and sparks are coool plus you will get a satisfying amount of smoke poring out of the top - how abourt sitting the flare in avat of red jelly :D

Dawn
17-03-2009, 07:56 AM
But flares would also attract the attention of the local Lifeboat. We're 2 minutes from the sea remember. :nono:

Skywatcher
17-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Hmm, ok a combination of red frothy vinegar/baking powder and sparklers then

Dawn
17-03-2009, 08:03 AM
With some mashed up orange jelly.

Now, how do I scale that up. :lol:

Britchick
17-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Now, how do I scale that up. :lol:

a big bowl?

Taja
17-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Hmmmmm...

Somewhere...there is a book--booklet, actually--of activities for adults to do with children and I believe there is a volcano recipe in it. I bought it for Leu's DS and DDIL when their children were younger--then discovered her DDIL's idea of doing things with her children was to send them off to a play group while she shopped! :nono:

I'll look for it tonight, but I might not find it until the next snow fall--next winter. :rolleyes: