PDA

View Full Version : Next version of iphone firmware previewed

keith
17-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Not officially available till summer but will be a free update for existing iphones (woohoo!) and loads of new things like mms, copy/paste etc.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/17/iphone_3_0_100_new_features_for_users_1000_new_api s_for_devs.html

josh.p.
17-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Oooh... do you know if the features will come to the iPod touch?

keith
17-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Oooh... do you know if the features will come to the iPod touch?

yep for $9.95 :yes:

josh.p.
17-03-2009, 11:49 PM
grrrrr! knew there would be some fee involved for us measly touch users.

keith
18-03-2009, 12:25 AM
grrrrr! knew there would be some fee involved for us measly touch users.

yeah I find it a bit weird. They always say that US General Accounting Practice means they have to charge for new features but it's introducing new features for the iphone too and they're giving it free.

ANYWAY, at least they're allowing upgrades rather than making everyone buy a whole new unit which some companies would do I guess

Skywatcher
18-03-2009, 07:57 AM
:thumbsup:

josh.p.
18-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I suppose you are right there. I love the way apple do that.... they introduced Genius in a free update and the 2.0 update was only about 5.

I would bet that creative, microsoft, sony etc would release it as a whole new device that was about 50 (if not moe) dearer!

Skywatcher
18-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Calm yourself young padawan, that way the dark side lies

josh.p.
19-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Calm yourself young padawan, that way the dark side lies
You haven't been home-testing a new medicine have you Chris? :unsure:

Skywatcher
20-03-2009, 08:51 AM
:mental:

Britchick
12-04-2009, 02:07 PM
can someone tell me what the difference is between the 3g and normal iphone please :unsure:

keith
12-04-2009, 02:15 PM
can someone tell me what the difference is between the 3g and normal iphone please :unsure:

well this is going to sound annoyingly smug, but the difference is.... 3g! :taunt:

ok more usefully, the main difference is 3G in other words, faster data access in theory* so web pages take less time to load and so on

*3G speeds only for indication, your experience my vary, 3G not available everywhere, 3G speeds may actually be slower than 2G at times, 3G will consume so much battery power your iphone may need charging much more frequently. etc etc etc etc :)

There are other differences such as with the newer firmware in it, the newer 3G phones will support MMS whereas the old one wont and so on

(I really am going to need to sell my 1st gen iphone soon)

josh.p.
12-04-2009, 02:59 PM
The ones on eBay are holding their prices quite well at the minute... I'd sell quickly!

keith
12-04-2009, 03:01 PM
The ones on eBay are holding their prices quite well at the minute... I'd sell quickly!

yeah I know I totally need to

catrancher
12-04-2009, 04:02 PM

Not moi!

I'm quite happy with my old, dated, 1st generation, 2G iPhone, thank you very much! :taunt:

Bought my DW a 3G one and so far, I haven't been terribly impressed with the differences. Sure, when it's on the 3G network, the data transfer speeds are better but not so much so that I feel the need to upgrade. At least not enough to offset the increased cost. :thumbsdown:

Maybe someday, but not now.

Tom (:macwave:... marching boldly forward into the 70's)

keith
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Bought my DW a 3G one and so far, I haven't been terribly impressed with the differences. Sure, when it's on the 3G network, the data transfer speeds are better but not so much so that I feel the need to upgrade. At least not enough to offset the increased cost. :thumbsdown:

I admit I've turned off 3G on my shiny new 3G version. The battery life is more than twice as good with 3G turned off!

So I agree, there's nothing at all wrong with the "old" version :yes:

josh.p.
12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Do you think there is any chance in the 2g version becoming obsolete soon? As in... new features not being available on it?

I could probably twist my dads arm into buying me a 2g if it where the right price.. but not really worth it if it was going to become obsolete soon.

keith
12-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Do you think there is any chance in the 2g version becoming obsolete soon? As in... new features not being available on it?

I could probably twist my dads arm into buying me a 2g if it where the right price.. but not really worth it if it was going to become obsolete soon.

Well yes in that it's already happening. Version 3 of the firmware will be available for the 2g and 3g devices, but certain features like MMS will only work on 3g (although that sounds worse than it is, everything major works on both).

You have to consider what obsolete means. Will it still be a cool device? yep. Will it make/receive phone calls? yep. Texts? yep. Web/email? yep.

Might a new device do even more? yep but that won't make the 2g one any less useless or cool

josh.p.
12-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Well yes in that it's already happening. Version 3 of the firmware will be available for the 2g and 3g devices, but certain features like MMS will only work on 3g (although that sounds worse than it is, everything major works on both).

You have to consider what obsolete means. Will it still be a cool device? yep. Will it make/receive phone calls? yep. Texts? yep. Web/email? yep.

Might a new device do even more? yep but that won't make the 2g one any less useless or cool
:unsure: Think I might hold out to see what the new model (if it comes out) brings and what the new firmware is like. Might get a better bargain then, too.

I do use MMS quite alot

keith
12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
:unsure: Think I might hold out to see what the new model (if it comes out) brings and what the new firmware is like. Might get a better bargain then, too.

I do use MMS quite alot

yeah the only thing I'd say is that I used to use mms a lot before getting an iphone. It's as easy on an iphone to send a photo in an email as it is to send an MMS on other phones. It's also free v mms charges ;)

So you find people send photos in email instead of mms

If someone sends you an mss, you click and read it on a web page

josh.p.
12-04-2009, 04:58 PM
yeah the only thing I'd say is that I used to use mms a lot before getting an iphone. It's as easy on an iphone to send a photo in an email as it is to send an MMS on other phones. It's also free v mms charges ;)

So you find people send photos in email instead of mms

If someone sends you an mss, you click and read it on a web page
So techincally... you can receive MMS, only it's on a webpage?:unsure:

keith
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
So techincally... you can receive MMS, only it's on a webpage?:unsure:

Correct! if someone sends you an mms, you get a text which says "you have an mms click here" you click the link with your finger and the browser pops up to show you the mms

josh.p.
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Correct! if someone sends you an mms, you get a text which says "you have an mms click here" you click the link with your finger and the browser pops up to show you the mms
That brings the 2g iPhone back into play :unsure:

keith
12-04-2009, 05:08 PM
That brings the 2nd gen iPod back into play :unsure:

It's a great device, if you can get one cheaply enough go for it. It's the only phone I've stuck with (and believe me, I've tried hundreds)

josh.p.
12-04-2009, 06:02 PM
It's a great device, if you can get one cheaply enough go for it. It's the only phone I've stuck with (and believe me, I've tried hundreds)
I am the same as you with phones. Always switching and changing. With a bit of tinkering you can get them to record video now, too... Decisions decisions :unsure: If you are serious about selling your 2g... could you PM me with a price? :unsure:

Britchick
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
thank you, didn't know what 3g was :unsure:

I think i'll settle for a 2g old type then :thumbsup:

catrancher
12-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I think i'll settle for a 2g old type then :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... living in his 2G world)

Britchick
13-04-2009, 10:11 AM
can you actually the 2g anymore?

also when it says unlimited wifi- is that only in certain zones or can i mobile internet whereever and whenever? thanks

catrancher
13-04-2009, 10:29 AM
can you actually the 2g anymore?

also when it says unlimited wifi- is that only in certain zones or can i mobile internet whereever and whenever? thanks

You'd probably have to get the 2G model off eBay now. The current 3G model is all that's being sold by either Apple or the carriers anymore.

As far as unlimited wifi is concerned, that's always the case. The iPhone will use any wifi network in range that it can connect to (if you've got the appropriate credentials to access the wifi network). If there's no wifi, it will use the cellular network for it's internet connection. With the AT&T rate plan here in the states, the cellular internet connectivity is covered under a single monthly data charge.

The wifi is always free assuming there's a wifi network around that I can connect to.

Hope this isn't too confusing. :questionmark:

I'm not really awake yet. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... yes Virginia, it's still early here!)

Britchick
13-04-2009, 12:11 PM
thanks Tom :hug2: so is the bit when we go through the mobile channels covered in the UK?

what about buying an Iphone in the US - will it work over here?

keith
13-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Pretty much as Tom described it over in the UK too.

If you have an O2 iphone contract you get unlimited "over the air" data so if you're not in range of a wifi connection, you can still browse the web free. If you have another type of contract then it's whatever data tariff you've bought with that.

A phone from the US would work if it was fully unlocked, otherwise it would be locked to at&t.

catrancher
13-04-2009, 12:21 PM
thanks Tom :hug2: so is the bit when we go through the mobile channels covered in the UK?

what about buying an Iphone in the US - will it work over here?

O2 is the carrier for the iPhone in the UK. It appears that the data portion (wifi or cellular) is included in their monthly plans. See this page (http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly).

As far as buying one in the US is concerned, I'm not sure. I would think it would as long as you had the SIM card for your local carrier. But then that starts to get complicated with what the carriers will or won't allow. Your best bet would probably be to check with O2 and see what they say. Anything I'd say would be speculation at best, especially when it comes to the plans in the UK.

Tom (:macwave:... who is by no means, a cellular expert)

catrancher
13-04-2009, 12:24 PM
A phone from the US would work if it was fully unlocked, otherwise it would be locked to at&t.

Ohh... yeah! Forgot that bit. What Keith said! :yes:

Other than that, pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain (me). :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... runs and hides!)

Britchick
13-04-2009, 12:28 PM
exellent thank you guys, my finger is poised :unsure: just not sure which to go with :hug2:

josh.p.
13-04-2009, 03:12 PM
exellent thank you guys, my finger is poised :unsure: just not sure which to go with :hug2:
You could always buy both and give me one to try :taunt::taunt::taunt:

Britchick
13-04-2009, 03:17 PM
i already have one teenager to support thanks Josh!!! who incidently is going buy it Mum, you deserve it you should buy it- reason ? he wants my touch!

keith
13-04-2009, 03:18 PM
someone could buy my nice boxed, perfect 2g iphone of course :taunt:

Britchick
13-04-2009, 03:21 PM
someone could buy my nice boxed, perfect 2g iphone of course :taunt:

yeah but then i wouldn't get unlimited access! although i can take out a very cheap bt broadband contract- pm me how much you're selling it for- is is 16 or 8gb?

keith
13-04-2009, 03:23 PM
yeah but then i wouldn't get unlimited access! although i can take out a very cheap bt broadband contract- pm me how much you're selling it for- is is 16 or 8gb?

The 2g ones were 4gb or 8gb, this is 8gb (the 3g ones were 8 and 16)

Now hang on about bt broadband, that's not cell accessible (unless you know something I dont which is entirely possible) so only useful for wifi whilst youre at home. If you want unlimited access when you're out and about, you need an unlimited gprs data plan which is what you get when you sign an o2 iphone contract.

Britchick
13-04-2009, 03:26 PM
i have my current mobile phone contract with BT - i thought it was the same as O2

this

http://www.broadband.bt.com/ppc/index.aspx?gclid=COutu5-V7pkCFeZL5QodqXa3RA

keith
13-04-2009, 03:29 PM
i have my current mobile phone contract with BT - i thought it was the same as O2

this

http://www.broadband.bt.com/ppc/index.aspx?gclid=COutu5-V7pkCFeZL5QodqXa3RA

But that's broadband you see albeit with some free wifi all of which is different from GPRS/3G on the move data with your cell phone

Britchick
13-04-2009, 03:40 PM
it's my mobile phone too :unsure: I'm confused :surrender:

keith
13-04-2009, 03:43 PM
it's my mobile phone too :unsure: I'm confused :surrender:

sure well nothing on that page says unlimited GPRS/3g/mobile data which would be the ideal for the iphone

I mean you may have it! but there just wasnt anything on that page

Britchick
13-04-2009, 03:47 PM
it's ok- just crunched some numbers and think i will get an 18m contract - how come if i was going to spend that much on shoes it would be a problem but because it's technology there's no problem :lol:

keith
13-04-2009, 03:48 PM
it's ok- just crunched some numbers and think i will get an 18m contract - how come if i was going to spend that much on shoes it would be a problem but because it's technology there's no problem :lol:

cos it's technology! bargain at ANY price :wiggle:

Britchick
13-04-2009, 03:51 PM
i need to get him into photography!!

catrancher
13-04-2009, 03:56 PM
i need to get him into photography!!

Digital photography! That way, it's still technology! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... technology... we likes it me precioussssss!)

keith
13-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Digital photography! That way, it's still technology! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... technology... we likes it me precioussssss!)

I have a terrible and incurable Leica habit which would take the budget of a large country to feed :( photography really can get expensive :lol:

Britchick
13-04-2009, 04:39 PM
next time i want a new lens i shall show Jon them and then mine won't seem so expensive :tongue:

Britchick
14-04-2009, 06:21 PM
if you buy from carphone warehouse through quidco they are giving 45 back on an iphone contract!!!

i don't know whether to get a 4 or 8 gb:unsure:

catrancher
14-04-2009, 06:43 PM

More is always better! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... highly in favor of more!)

Britchick
14-04-2009, 06:45 PM
so they say :tongue:

i can't see me wanting anymore than 1200 songs or 4 movies

catrancher
14-04-2009, 06:51 PM
i can't see me wanting anymore than 1200 songs or 4 movies

and/or.... numerous applications, podcasts, mail messages, notes, photos, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. :yes:

Like I said, more is better!

Tom (:macwave:... pushing this "more" thing)

Britchick
14-04-2009, 06:53 PM
ok!!! coz you know i'm going to have all the aps don't you :yes: :lol:

josh.p.
14-04-2009, 06:55 PM
8gb!

catrancher
14-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Mines an 8GB. :yes:

I have:

808 songs
19 videos
1357 photos
8 non-apple supplied applications

and only 1.7GB available. Wouldn't take much more to fill 'er up! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... iPhone inventory for fun and profit!)

Britchick
14-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Mines an 8GB. :yes:

I have:

808 songs
19 videos
1357 photos
8 non-apple supplied applications

and only 1.7GB available. Wouldn't take much more to fill 'er up! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... iPhone inventory for fun and profit!)

whoah! i'm impressed, well worth the extra then!

keith
14-04-2009, 07:34 PM
if you buy from carphone warehouse through quidco they are giving 45 back on an iphone contract!!!

I think it's only 8 or 16 now?

Most people would say get the 16. Even if you don't use it all, it's useful to have there and they'll be more sought after come resale time

Britchick
14-04-2009, 07:39 PM
yeah i knew that :unsure::taunt: all this talk of GB makes my head hurt and i've had a bad day :yes:

so i should be fine with an 8gb then but cherry on the top 16gb:unsure:

realistically Keith with a teenager and 10 year in the house do you think i'm ever going to be selling it? :lol:

Jax1970
15-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Can I jump in on this thread and ask what happens when you are in the US with a UK O2 iPhone contract? Do you get charged for using it?

Always wanted an iPhone. Really thinking about it now, looks like a great gadget. But I don't understand anything about this sort of thing. Please help?

Britchick
15-04-2009, 01:27 PM
you can use it but it costs you more, it costs 4 texts to send 1 if you see what i mean, all the prices can be found online- or they have bolt ons for people specifically who travel a lot- for instance you can buy data to use over there. YOu will need to notify them before you go though, and if you haven't had the contract long sometimes they will make you pay a deposit.

keith
15-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Can I jump in on this thread and ask what happens when you are in the US with a UK O2 iPhone contract? Do you get charged for using it?

Always wanted an iPhone. Really thinking about it now, looks like a great gadget. But I don't understand anything about this sort of thing. Please help?

Fully recommend the iphone, really great device.

In terms of US with O2, as Britchick says it all works but costs more basically.

The calls cost multiple pounds and don't forget, you pay to RECEIVE calls over there too so even if someone calls you, it'll get expensive quickly.

Some people set voicemail and there's a trick here. If you set divert to voicemail BEFORE you leave the UK, it's cheap/free. If you set it once you're in the states, you'll pay for the call to get to the states and back to your voicemail so again, expensive.

Texts are probably the most useful way to use it abroad since they don't cost that much and you don't pay to receive on o2.

The easiest way to go bankrupt though is to leave the data connection live. that's a small fortune per Megabyte. Fortunately the Iphone knows when it's roaming abroad and defaults to turning the data connection off.

Britchick
15-04-2009, 04:17 PM
The easiest way to go bankrupt though is to leave the data connection live. that's a small fortune per Megabyte. Fortunately the Iphone knows when it's roaming abroad and defaults to turning the data connection off.

that is sooooooooo clever!!

catrancher
15-04-2009, 04:35 PM
that is sooooooooo clever!!

<center>http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPhone.jpg</center>

Jax1970
17-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys - so can I use GPS over there - or is that chargeable too? I just think it would be really cool to walk roond the parks one day watching myself move on the GPS! Sad, I know, but it would make me happy!

I am so close to buying one of these - and that 45 Quidco offer is very tempting.
Have you ordered yours yet Britchick?

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 09:48 AM
<center>http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPhone.jpg</center>
:drool:

keith
17-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys - so can I use GPS over there - or is that chargeable too? I just think it would be really cool to walk roond the parks one day watching myself move on the GPS! Sad, I know, but it would make me happy!

You can use GPS but if you were to pull down any maps over GPRS/3G you'd be back to paying a lot of money for the data access

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I thought, in all honestly I would use 1 or 2 apps and just use the iphone as a normal phone but I am never off it - The maps are amazing ( we were in town the other day and I needed a photographic shop - tapped it in and plop 5 pins dropped into the map and told me how to walk there), the internet connectivity through 3G is much faster than when I was on dialup and I think equates to the very first days of broadband - we were driving to an animal place the other day and Lisa said 'ooh I hope its open as its before easter' So I open up their website and get the opening details - its one of those gadgets that you can't see the point of before you have one and then when you get one you can't see how you did without it.

I utterly love my Iphone :D

It has some great astronomy apps as well :yes:

keith
17-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Story of me buying the iphone :)

Our company manages email for people basically. We get people and businesses away from awful @hotmail.com,yahoo etc addresses and onto their own proper names john@smith.com etc. So when new email capable phones come out, we have to make sure we work with them.

Now I have hundreds of phones, I hoard them :lol: and whenever a new one came out, I was first in line. I was known for having a different phone every week (sometimes more than one a week ;) how's that for sad.

Anyway! fast forward to the iphone announcement. We all watched it and everyone was all enthusiastic apart from me. I liked a proper keyboard and couldnt ever imagine a phone with no MMS, no keyboard and it looked a bit big too!

I ended up at the trafford centre to buy one for work for us to test in a HUGE queue of people on the first night of sale. SIGH. Again, they were all so excited and I just wasn't, at all.

Got the thing home that evening and started trying to make sure all our email services worked with it and I think it was about 4am before I realised the time! I was completely sold on it.

Instead of one, or more, new phones a week, I've used an iphone and only an iphone, from the night it came out in the UK till today.

It's an absolutely superb device

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I think Chris and Keith have got it one :yes: I remember saying to Keith that I didn't like the iPod touch.. I thought the functions where good but it just wasn't practical. I went to NYC and I was going to buy myself a time-capsule..... until I noticed the iPod touch! Bought it as a 'carpe-diem' thing and fell in love!!! :yes: Can't wait to get my hands on the iPhone :wiggle:

Britchick
17-04-2009, 06:06 PM
i ordered a 16gb black one!!!

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 06:12 PM
:evil:

one less of them one more of us- congrats Brit you will adore it :D

Britchick
17-04-2009, 06:16 PM
:yes:off to see which aps i want

any suggestions?

catrancher
17-04-2009, 06:30 PM

any suggestions?

Too many available to offer much in the way of suggestions. However, I rather like this Sudoko (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=283851119).
This Mahjong game (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285490012&mt=8).
And of course, Shazam (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284993459&mt=8) which has been a lifesaver for me at times! Especially when I can't quite remember the name of that tune!

Tom (:macwave:... still trying to be useful)

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 07:09 PM
With a 16 GB you can have hundreds - planets is cool :D

Jax1970
17-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I went into the o2 store today - didn't come home with an iPhone.:thumbsdown:

But, when I go back tomorrow I'll be getting an 8Gb black one, with a business use contract! Not sure how that happened, but he asked me what I did for a living, I said I was a manager, aand he didn't care what of, just suggested the business package. So, 24 month contract, with a replacement iPhone after 12 months!:happybounce:

Someone tell me I'm doing the right thing?????

Tink
18-04-2009, 11:43 AM
CARPE DIEM!!! :D

Jax1970
18-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I did! Thanks for the advice - 8Gb iPhone sitting pretty alongside keyboard on the desk!

Skywatcher
18-04-2009, 05:52 PM
:thumbsup:

Claire
18-04-2009, 09:09 PM

any suggestions?

Tweetdeck is awesome but don't waste your money on Pocket God unless you have the same mentality as a 6 year old boy who likes flicking people into volcanos.

keith
18-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Tweetdeck is awesome but don't waste your money on Pocket God unless you have the same mentality as a 6 year old boy who likes flicking people into volcanos.

agreed tweetdeck is great both on the iphone and the mac :yes:

Britchick
18-04-2009, 09:28 PM

:unsure: sounds good to me after the week i've had at work!! :tongue:

Claire
18-04-2009, 09:29 PM
agreed tweetdeck is great both on the iphone and the mac :yes:

Actually you've made me check! It is tweetdeck I have on my Mac but it's actually Tweetie I have on the itouch.

keith
18-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Actually you've made me check! It is tweetdeck I have on my Mac but it's actually Tweetie I have on the itouch.

ah yeah, Tweetie is coming out for the mac too but I dont THINK it's available yet

josh.p.
18-04-2009, 11:25 PM
I think we need an iPhone owners social group on the forums LOL... I will have to wait until Monday to join though :D

Britchick
19-04-2009, 09:58 AM
i probably won't get mine till tuesday as citylink will take back to the depot- unless they let Daniel sign for it :unsure:

Jax1970
19-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I have to wait 3 or 4 days for my iPhone contract to kick in. It's killing me! I have the most wonderful gadget, but a lot of the functionality doesn't work yet (or would cost me a fortune to use on the current contract)!

I'm going to start a new thread for iPhone Apps recommendations - hope this is okay?

Tink
19-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Of course it is! Starting a thread is always ok. :yes: :D

Claire
19-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I have to wait until July. :sigh:

Britchick
19-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I have to wait until July. :sigh:

it will pass in no time- my countdown to my holiday is July 15th- so not long:hug2: