PDA

View Full Version : Tips

mainecoon lover
19-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Lets start a tips thread. You know like for when you have spilt something etc. I will start.

1 -If you spill milk sprinkle the area with baking soda and leave over night. In the morning the smell will be gone.

2- To get rid of the smell of cat urine/spray dilute some bilogical washing powder/liquid in warm water. Wash the area. This will remover the smell instantly.

3- Dropped your mobile in water. Fill a jar full of rice and pop your phone in it. The rice will draw the water out of the phone.

4- Chewing gum in your hair. Rub in some olive oil, this will help you remove the gum.

5- How to stretch shoes - Use a hairdryer on them for about 20-30 seconds until they are thoroughly warmed up, then put them on and they should stretch and mould to your feet.

6 - How to get rid of baby sick smells on clothes - A good tip for baby sick on your clothes when you are out visiting and the smell is unbearable, take a little medicine bottle of bicarbonate of soda mixed in water. When the baby sick is on you shoulder or skirt, just put the mixture on your clothing and the smell will disappear

7 - How to make a candle fit a too-small candlestick - To make a candle fit a candlestick, hold the end in very hot water and it will be soft enough to be jammed in tight.

8 - How to make your own body scrub - Granulated sugar mixed with your body wash or shampoo makes an amazingly cheap and effective body scrub.

mumof2
19-03-2009, 07:54 PM
if you drop an egg on the floor and it cracks, sprinkle some salt on the spillage and leave it to solidify. This will enable you to clear it up more easily.

Britchick
19-03-2009, 07:58 PM
never eat yellow snow :thumbsup: :tongue: sorry couldn't resist

mumof2
19-03-2009, 08:01 PM
never eat yellow snow :thumbsup: :tongue: sorry couldn't resist

or brown snowballs

Kate
19-03-2009, 08:28 PM
or brown snowballs

Oh nooo - thats just grim haha!

I couldve done with the cat wee one a week or so ago!

josh.p.
19-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Thread stuck :D Now where is that olive oil....

Ursula
19-03-2009, 11:30 PM
When you squeeze a tube of hand cream or face foundation cream to the end and it's empty... cut the tube in half and you will be amazed at the amount of cream left inside that you were just about to put in the bin.

When rolling pastry instead of using flour to roll out on, place sheets of cling film on the work surface place ball of pastry on and then place sheets of cling film over the pastry ball and start rolling. You will have to lift up the top layers of cling film as you roll out, but you will have no more cracked edges and less mess to clear up.

Scratches in your antique pine furniture... place a used teabag on the scratches and the teabag juices will colour the scratches back to normal again. You won't even know you had a scratch.

Tink
20-03-2009, 01:06 AM
We swear by club soda for lifting red wine spills out of carpets. You have to do it right away though, no waiting. It works for other red drinks too like juice, etc. But again, must be right away.

Ketchup makes a great copper cleaner if you've run out of the regular stuff. :yes:

PsychoAlice
20-03-2009, 03:23 AM
6 - How to get rid of baby sick smells on clothes - Dont have a baby

LOl sorry count resist..I love babies I really do but after they hit 3 I wanna trade 1 in on 6 14 year olds...

Ursula
20-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Always keep a can of cola for burnt pans.... Been on the internet again and forgot about those peas cooking?... don't worry.. throw peas out and then pour the cola into the burnt pan and gently warm up the liquid in the pan then let it sit and cool. Once cooled it will be extremely easy to clean the burnt bits off the pan, no elbow grease needed.

mumof2
20-03-2009, 10:53 AM
ahhh so that's how i can clean my burnt to a cinder carrot pan then!

I *always* forget the carrots when they're cooking......:unsure:

mainecoon lover
21-03-2009, 12:02 PM
To get more juice out of lemons,lime and oranges for baking put them in the microwave for 20 seconds.

To rippen a mango wrap it in newspaper and pop it in the oven on a low setting for 20 minutes.

Britchick
21-03-2009, 01:00 PM
To get more juice out of lemons,lime and oranges for baking put them in the microwave for 20 seconds.

i can confirm that this works :thumbsup:

Ursula
21-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I love the egg spillage tip. It's a real pain getting broken egg up off the floor.

foreverducky
21-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I love the egg spillage tip. It's a real pain getting broken egg up off the floor.

Yep, could have used this tip about 2 weeks ago. It seemed that I was just spreading the egg around.

mumof2
22-03-2009, 12:49 PM
i tend to put a fair amount of salt on the egg then just leave it in situ until it's solid enough to wipe up. :thumbsup:

Ursula
22-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Or get a dog... lol... that would take care of it.

mumof2
22-03-2009, 03:41 PM
:unsure: do dogs insides like raw eggs - yuk

Britchick
22-03-2009, 04:41 PM
there's not much my dog doesn't like! never have to sweep kitchen floor because of food scraps

mumof2
22-03-2009, 05:28 PM
so this would be a tip then....?

don't want to hoover ever again?

get a dog :thumbsup:

Ursula
22-03-2009, 09:38 PM
yeppers lol!

MirandaWrights
19-07-2011, 08:28 PM
to get ride of a headache rub ice on the hands

Sam
17-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Always keep a can of cola for burnt pans.... Been on the internet again and forgot about those peas cooking?... don't worry.. throw peas out and then pour the cola into the burnt pan and gently warm up the liquid in the pan then let it sit and cool. Once cooled it will be extremely easy to clean the burnt bits off the pan, no elbow grease needed.

Got another one for burnt pans, you can also do this for grill pans, baking trays, oven shelves and barbecue grills. Soak them with washing powder. For the big shelves and trays I put them in the bath over night for the pans I put a bit of water and powder in the bottom and leave for a couple of hours. I do have to say this works with our non stick pans, not sure how it'll work on old pans.
For getting wax off a table cloth or off my daughter's T shirt, (don't ask), scrape off as much as you can then put a piece of grease proof paper over the wax then rub over with a warm iron.
For blood on clothes try soaking in cold water with salt. Favourite of my nan's (god rest her sole) which she learnt when she worked in service in a big house.