PDA

View Full Version : Hurray -Really Good News

Watchinherskip
20-03-2009, 03:40 PM
DD Alex has been a bit down in the dumps after being rejected for her "reach" school, Christopher Newport University (they had a 500% increase in applications over the past two years. Ave GPA was over 3.7 and SAT of over 1120). She has been waiting to hear from the other schools Longwood (my hope), Radford (pretty much a lock) and Old Dominion University (also pretty much a lock). The one I worried about most was Longwood University. Nice school, great reputation, and tougher to get in than the others. Well yesterday I came home to find a fat envelope from LU. As anyone will tell you skinny envelope means thanks but no thanks.

DW couldn't help but text her to come right home after tennis practice. I wanted it to be a total surprise. She figured out that some good news arrived, she didn't know which one. Needles to say when she saw it was Longwood, she was thrilled. Se smiled like the cheshire cat. We went out to celebrate. She wanted to bring a friend out with us for dinner. We had a nice meal at Olive Garden. I must admit I was probably more excited than Alex.

We are supposed to hear from Radford today. Wish us luck.

MystikPiglit
20-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Good luck!! :fingers:

Dawn
20-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Oooh bit fat envelopes are good.

Skywatcher
20-03-2009, 04:01 PM
:mental:

Sooo happy for you my friend I know this means a lot to you

:dance:

josh.p.
20-03-2009, 04:03 PM
yay!!! yipee!

mumof2
20-03-2009, 04:34 PM
woo hoo! :wiggle:

foreverducky
20-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I so understand all those feelings! :hug2:

Good luck and I hope she gets what she desires.

Watchinherskip
20-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you all. Chris you are so spot on. I was a nervous wreck second guessing everything. Did we give her the right direction on her essay prompts, did we pick the right schools, what effect did the economy have on the competition, so on and so on. I admit that the first thing on my mind on the way home from work was GET THE MAIL!

The big pressure is over now, what ever other offers she gets is all gravy. Billie, you would know about those letters eh? Never gets easier does it?

So then last night I flop into bed and I am like, ok, I can relax for a bit. Wrong, I start the think of all the inevetible truth, this is the first major step to sending her on her way, to becoming empty nesters, so I worry so much I can't sleep. I am a piece of work.:tongue:

Skywatcher
20-03-2009, 05:24 PM
From one neurotic to another , I feel your pain :D

Dawn
20-03-2009, 05:29 PM
From one neurotic to another , I feel your pain :D

Be you and me in a few years doing the secondary school thing. :unsure:

Skywatcher
20-03-2009, 05:34 PM
we were looking at them yesterday :eek:

Dawn
20-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I've already checked out the local grammar school. :lol:

Watchinherskip
20-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Friends, let me tell you, the time flies bye in the blink of the eye! Really. Savor your days with the young ones!

Tink
21-03-2009, 02:24 AM
'Skip, sounds like things are coming together. :yes: I know it will be one of the harder things you have to do, the college/uni send off. :hug2:

Good luck to all of you!

foreverducky
21-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes, being the student never gets easier. Filling out apps, going to interviews, etc....never gets easier. Also, it's hard not to take the rejections personally.

uscwest
23-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Congrats to your DD on being accepted at Longwood. Has she heard from Radford or ODU yet?

Taja
23-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Woohoo! Congratulations to Alex! :) And Mom and Dad! :wink:

:fingers: for good news from the other universities. :)

Watchinherskip
23-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Well Friday came (3/20) and went without the Radford response. I read on their website that they would by that date. I think they may have just sent it out then, so I am confident that it will come today!:thumbsup:

DD is still elated, but has caught the flu!:thumbsdown:

She is home from school today. I think she will be there to pick up the mail. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks all for the good wishes. Keep em coming!

Skywatcher
23-03-2009, 03:49 PM
:fingers:

Rosie0610
23-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Excellent news so far Watchinherskip! :fingers: for the rest!

Watchinherskip
26-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Well to get you all up to speed, DD Alex got her packet from Radford University yesterday. YEAH:thumbsup:. She is just getting over the flu and tried to get psyched up, but felt terrible. I know she was happy. A dad always knows. Smiled a huge smile and then went prone on the couch.

She went back to school today. We are very pleased and know how we will be spending a good portion of spring break. First over nighter to Radford (about 5 hours west of Ptown) on Sunday night and Friday of the same week we are off to visit Longwood in beautiful Farm Vegas (that's what the kids call it...actually Farmville):yes: That is about 3 hours west of Ptown.

One more school to go...Old Dominion!

Deb
26-03-2009, 01:46 PM
That's brilliant news 'Skip! And I'm guesing a huge relief for you, Dad! Well done to Alex.

I hope Alex feels better soon...but at least she can't get overexcited about it :D

Taja
26-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Woohoo! :D

Old Dominion needs to get in gear! You still have mid-week of spring break open! :lol:

Skywatcher
26-03-2009, 02:03 PM
:mental: :dance: :mental:

:)

Watchinherskip
26-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Woohoo! :D

Old Dominion needs to get in gear! You still have mid-week of spring break open! :lol:

So true Taja! Well if ODU does get on the ball we might pencil them in. It is a really heady time for parents with graduating seniors out there. Lots to think about. I made the mistake of typing in Radford University on Youtube.....I heard it was a big party school but had no idea about Quadfest! Alex is a good kid and not too worried but would hate for her to be around all that partying!:nono:

Johnie
29-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Congrats to Alex! Big envelopes are always good news :yes:

I thought she wanted to go to VCU? :unsure:

Longwood is a good school. Radford is THE party school in the state. ODU had a good rep and is very close to you.

Beccaberry
30-03-2009, 03:39 AM
:WOW: Congratulations on all the fat envelopes!!!

:hug2: to you, dad :D

Watchinherskip
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey Johnie, they change their minds so fast don't they. She was first interested in VCU for photography. Not sure if she was afraid she wouldn't get accepted into the school of arts..really competative, but she didn't even apply.

Dad is hoping for Longwood. Closer to home, great reputation, established internship program for ALL majors. Opens doors for them in job search.

Radford has the rep for a party school, think my undergrad did too!:unsure:

Search Radford on youtube and man what a scarey scene! But the proof is in the pudding so to speak. US News and World reporsts has Longwood at #9 school in the Southeast and Radford at #11 ranked schools (masters level universities) in the Southeast. JMU was #1. Mary Washington something like #3. They were the only VA schools on the top 20 list. Other schools don't compete at this level though so UVA,VT, W&M, and the like are highly rated but not in competition for the same students.

Yup Becca, still waiting on a big packet from ODU! Don't know what they are waiting for! They extended their March 15 deadline. As far as I know they are still accepting applications.:surrender:Not sure what that means for ODU.:unsure:

Johnie
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
:tongue: they will always find a way to party if that's what they want.

My sister went to Mary Washington and absolutely loved it. My sister dreamed of going to U of Kentucky but never even applied. I never understood that.

I did a combo of the local community college, VCU (where I changed majors a billion times) and then finished up with Bluefield College to get my BS.

Good luck to her whatever she decides to do!

Watchinherskip
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks Johnie, hard to believe that our little girl is growing up and going to be empty nesters next year:sorry: