PDA

View Full Version : For you Windows XP users

catrancher
21-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Ran across this (http://www.hyperdesk.com/product_details.php?p=8) on the web and thought of you. Don't know much about it since I'm primarily a Mac user but it looked pretty cool.

Especially if you're a Disney fan! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... trying to look out for you Windows users!)

Slowhand
21-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for thinking of us poor mortals Tom. :lol:

catrancher
21-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for thinking of us poor mortals Tom. :lol:

I do try to be understanding, Terry. Hope springs eternal and all that!

Tom (:macwave:... evangelizing again)

Dorothy
21-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Since my computer geek son is not home could someone explain to me in very very simple terms exactly what this does so that I can understand.

Hex
21-03-2009, 04:45 PM
If your computer uses Windows XP, you can buy this software ($14.95 according to that site), and once it is installed it turns your computer into a complete Disney-overloaded crazy thing :)

Say goodbye to the normal blue + green windows start bar - hello to the insane yellow, orange, and purple disneyfied start bar. A lot of the normal Windows Icons are replaced with Disney-themed one as well.

All your programs will also have their windows styled using a disney-style orange + blue theme, replacing the normal XP blue borders and title bars on your programs...

For a serious Disney-fan this may be the equivalent of an extreme sugar-high... :lol:

... beware the sugar-crash... may find you turning into an "it's a small world" doll... unable to do anything but sing that song...

catrancher
21-03-2009, 04:56 PM
What Hex said! :yes:

And yes, I bought it for my Windows XP installation (shhh... don't tell Josh, Keith or anyone else). :laugh2:
In my defense however, my Windows installation is running via Parallels desktop on my Mac. :taunt:

You get the theme and a number of different desktop pictures, icons, and things. Couple of pictures attached. What your desktop can look like and what the Start menu ends up looking like.

Tom (:macwave:... still like my Mac better, but this desktop is kinda cool)

foreverducky
21-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Oooooooooo, that is soooooo cooool! :D (attempts to wipe drool off of chin)

Hex
21-03-2009, 05:04 PM
arggghhhh... my eyes... my brain... my sanity... melllttttiiiiinnnnnggggggggggggggggggg.....

:biggrin::lol::biggrin:

Just had a quick look around their support forums... the company who make that software are still working on a Vista version at the moment, but it looks like they will have one in the next few months...

... please don't tell Dawn :rolleyes:

catrancher
21-03-2009, 05:12 PM
arggghhhh... my eyes... my brain... my sanity... melllttttiiiiinnnnnggggggggggggggggggg.....

Quick, go hide in your bunker under the patio! :sos:

... please don't tell Dawn :rolleyes:

Why not? ::questionmark: It'll go nicely with her volcano! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... runs and hides!)

josh.p.
21-03-2009, 09:23 PM

:biggrin::lol::biggrin:

Hey... it's better than the linux GUI (Josh is running and ducking very VERY quickly)

Dorothy
21-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys, now all I have to do is get the computer geek son to let me put this on my computer. Yes, I do have to beg him since for some reason he thinks that if I try to do too much with my PC that I will break it (can you imagine that) :rolleyes3:

lozzy
21-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I have just brought this and it will not install to my systerm. I get an error message saying
the operation system is not adequate for running hyperdesk disney it's a magical world.
Does anyone know why this is happening. I have windows vista installed.
:unsure:

keith
21-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I have just brought this and it will not install to my systerm. I get an error message saying
the operation system is not adequate for running hyperdesk disney it's a magical world.
Does anyone know why this is happening. I have windows vista installed.
:unsure:

Well I dont know for sure but I suspect it's as Hex/Catrancher said, it's a theme meant for XP not vista :(

catrancher
21-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Well I dont know for sure but I suspect it's as Hex/Catrancher said, it's a theme meant for XP not vista :(

That's correct Keith. As both Hex and I said, this runs on Windows XP only. They don't have a version for Vista yet.

Tom (:macwave:... sorry.... :sorry:)

Hex
21-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey... it's better than the linux GUI (Josh is running and ducking very VERY quickly)

* pours apple-sauce into josh's mac... to make it extra appley, obviously... watches the pretty multi-coloured smoke rise from the shiny aluminium carcass *

:lol:

While i do like Linux, it is true that the desktop experience is not quite as polished as some others at the moment... certainly not out-of-the-box. I am currently using Ubuntu, which is one of the most well known and common distributions currently available... it probably the one that most people will try for the first time. Unfortunatly the default Gnome desktop environment used by Ubuntu is rather plain and does not really give the 'wow' factor that one would hope... which sadly can put people off.

Of the 2 major desktop environments for Linux (Gnome and KDE) KDE is definatley a superiour experience and has a more modern look and feel, aproaching Vista (and i assume Mac OSX)...

If you want a look... I have taken screenshots of my machine running KDE, Gnome, and another desktop environment named Enlightenment (not as well known as the other 2)

http://www.net-artz.co.uk/stuff/hex/screenshots/

Warning for those on dialup/slow connections: the images are about 1.6 MB so it's probably best to avoid accessing them unless you want to wait :)

There are quite a number of alternative desktop environments/window managers for Linux, some of which are good/promissing, and others are not worth bothering with unless you need something that works on a very old computer.

That said, I would happily go with a MacBook Pro, if money were no issue :biggrin:

Hex
21-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys, now all I have to do is get the computer geek son to let me put this on my computer. Yes, I do have to beg him since for some reason he thinks that if I try to do too much with my PC that I will break it (can you imagine that) :rolleyes3:

would "If you don't fix my computer, you don't get dinner/clean clothes/embarrassing photos *not* shown to current or future girlfriends/..." work? :biggrin:

josh.p.
21-03-2009, 11:40 PM
* pours apple-sauce into josh's mac... to make it extra appley, obviously... watches the pretty multi-coloured smoke rise from the shiny aluminium carcass *

:lol:
You can threaten me, my family, my friends, but DON'T threaten my iMac!!!! :slap::slap::slap::slap: :taunt:

While i do like Linux, it is true that the desktop experience is not quite as polished as some others at the moment... certainly not out-of-the-box. I am currently using Ubuntu, which is one of the most well known and common distributions currently available... it probably the one that most people will try for the first time. Unfortunatly the default Gnome desktop environment used by Ubuntu is rather plain and does not really give the 'wow' factor that one would hope... which sadly can put people off.

Of the 2 major desktop environments for Linux (Gnome and KDE) KDE is definatley a superiour experience and has a more modern look and feel, aproaching Vista (and i assume Mac OSX)...

If you want a look... I have taken screenshots of my machine running KDE, Gnome, and another desktop environment named Enlightenment (not as well known as the other 2)

http://www.net-artz.co.uk/stuff/hex/screenshots/

Warning for those on dialup/slow connections: the images are about 1.6 MB so it's probably best to avoid accessing them unless you want to wait :)

There are quite a number of alternative desktop environments/window managers for Linux, some of which are good/promissing, and others are not worth bothering with unless you need something that works on a very old computer.

That said, I would happily go with a MacBook Pro, if money were no issue :biggrin:
The depicted one is a little better... but to me it is pretty obvious that it is a user-created skin. It has that sort of finish to it... sorry!

Hex
21-03-2009, 11:53 PM
You can threaten me, my family, my friends, but DON'T threaten my iMac!!!! :slap::slap::slap::slap: :taunt:

The depicted one is a little better... but to me it is pretty obvious that it is a user-created skin. It has that sort of finish to it... sorry!

"I love the smell of apple-sauce in the mornin'!" :biggrin:

Supprisingly, KDE in it's current incarnation really does have the vista-like style... older versions of KDE were more akin to windows 2000 style. I only downloaded KDE this afternoon...

Having reverted it to it's default theme settings, this is what you get out-of-the-box: http://www.net-artz.co.uk/stuff/hex/screenshots/kde_desktop2.png

But you are correct, it may be leaning towards Vista, but it is not quite as polished and flashy...

on the other hand, the price is right :)

keith
22-03-2009, 12:18 AM
It's a lot better than it was and to be honest, I got on for very many years with early versions of Xwindows and felt very lucky to have it since before then I'd just had an hpux, sunos,vms or god help me, pdp10/11 console :lol:

catrancher
22-03-2009, 11:54 AM
pdp10/11 console :lol:

A long time ago...

In a galaxy far, far, away...

Keith had a PDP 10/11...

Wow, ancient history! Almost as ancient as me! :laugh2:

Shall we talk about Multics now? :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... who, in 1982, saw the first computer he worked on as an exhibit in the Boston Computer Museum)

keith
22-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Tom (:macwave:... who, in 1982, saw the first computer he worked on as an exhibit in the Boston Computer Museum)

I would absolutely love to see the Museum one day :yes: although I suspect I'd start feeling very old

catrancher
22-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I suspect I'd start feeling very old

I guarantee it!

When I went, I was looking at an exhibit of the SAGE console that was used by NORAD years ago. I turned around and there, in the corner, was an IBM 1401 in all it's glory. The first stored program computer I ever programmed for. Ahhh... the smell of SPS I and II, Autocoder, and stale coffee in the morning while the card punch sings it's merry song... I'll never forget it! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... is it time for my medications?)

Dorothy
22-03-2009, 05:27 PM
would "If you don't fix my computer, you don't get dinner/clean clothes/embarrassing photos *not* shown to current or future girlfriends/..." work? :biggrin:

Hmm....I do have some nice naked baby pictures of him and his GF hasn't seen those yet :evil:

daveann
22-03-2009, 06:09 PM
thats fantastic shame i am on vista my netbook is xp though :)

tom i love your little anecdotes at the end they always make me smile........ sorry to mention it here but been meaning to mention it for a while :)

catrancher
22-03-2009, 10:46 PM
i love your little anecdotes at the end they always make me smile........ sorry to mention it here but been meaning to mention it for a while :)

Thanks for that! I'm glad you find them enjoyable. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... who's happy when he makes other people smile!)

MystikPiglit
23-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Oooh... I like that! Thanks for the link, Tom. Although there's no way DH will put it on my laptop. :lol:

(By the way Tom, did you get your Secrets name from the EDS ad? :D )

catrancher
23-03-2009, 03:31 PM
(By the way Tom, did you get your Secrets name from the EDS ad? :D )

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1SmgLtg1Izw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1SmgLtg1Izw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Actually, no. My Secrets handle (and numerous other web sites) originally came from the old ALF tv show that we had here in the states back in the late 80's. Since I owned a cat at that time, one of my co-workers dubbed me with one of the tag lines from the tv series as a nickname. It kinda stuck!

If you're not familiar with ALF, his picture is attached. BTW... the ALF moniker/acronym stood for "Alien Life Form".

Unlike Bolton which we all know is a palindrome of Notlob. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... hmmm.... my meds seem to be wearing off!)

MystikPiglit
23-03-2009, 03:35 PM
If you're not familiar with ALF, his picture is attached.

I used to watch ALF. I'm very old. :D

:lol: That is still a line we use at home.

:laugh:

lozzy
24-03-2009, 10:05 AM
<CENTER></EMBED></CENTER>

Actually, no. My Secrets handle (and numerous other web sites) originally came from the old ALF tv show that we had here in the states back in the late 80's. Since I owned a cat at that time, one of my co-workers dubbed me with one of the tag lines from the tv series as a nickname. It kinda stuck!

If you're not familiar with ALF, his picture is attached. BTW... the ALF moniker/acronym stood for "Alien Life Form".

I used to watch ALF and I loved it, what happened to good television.

catrancher
24-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I used to watch ALF and I loved it, what happened to good television.

It died.... :lipwobble:

Fortunately, some of it has gone onto DVD heaven.

Or perhaps Youtube! :yes:

2B1QxOmbMZ0

My DW got me a set of the first season of ALF on DVD this past Christmas! What fun!

Here kitty, kitty, kitty! :happydance:

Tom (:macwave:... full episodes are even available on hulu (http://www.hulu.com)!)