PDA

View Full Version : High school homework.

lozzy
21-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Who thinks the homework children get from high school is pointless.
My son is doing 1 of the 5 lots of homework he has. he has got to make a collage using pictures of italy, he really isn't enjoying it and I really don't see the point.
Who else thinks their childrens homework is pointless?

keith
21-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Well I don't have children but I certainly always regarded my own homework as utterly pointless.

Britchick
21-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Who thinks the homework children get from high school is pointless.
My son is doing 1 of the 5 lots of homework he has. he has got to make a collage using pictures of italy, he really isn't enjoying it and I really don't see the point.
Who else thinks their childrens homework is pointless?

how old is he Lozzy? my daughter would love doing that but yeah i think pretty pointless myself

lozzy
21-03-2009, 08:31 PM
how old is he Lozzy? my daughter would love doing that but yeah i think pretty pointless myself

He is 12.

josh.p.
21-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Surely the teacher would have had a reason for doing it. Which class is it for?

foreverducky
21-03-2009, 09:08 PM
My cousin who is 10 is doing things that I never had to do growing up. He has so much homework, but I personally think it's a good thing. He has tons of science projects, which I never had.

Maybe it's due to me being in school...well....forever, I just think we can not educate our children enough. I am saddened by how many children are not desiring to read. I love reading and it truly is a pleasure to be able to read...that being said, I soooo don't want to be reading The Emotional Brain for class right now.

I had to do a poster for a class last semester and I was so thrilled that I got to break out the glue and construction paper. I quite enjoyed my presentation on Sexuality in Older Adults. :)

mumof2
21-03-2009, 10:15 PM
My DS14 doesn't seem to be getting very much at all, so much so that I'm beginning to think I'll ask the school why they're NOT giving it to him!

Dawn
22-03-2009, 06:55 AM
What class is that for?

There's a few reasons for doing that. Art is obvious, geography - places in Italy, history - Italy is full of it. It's all done for a reason - ask the teacher if you're unsure.

Britchick
22-03-2009, 11:41 AM
My DS14 doesn't seem to be getting very much at all, so much so that I'm beginning to think I'll ask the school why they're NOT giving it to him!

Daniel isn't either, we shall see, progress grades come out Wednesday :evil:

mumof2
22-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Daniel isn't either, we shall see, progress grades come out Wednesday :evil:

we had Jamies last week, they were either good or excellent (phew!) ~ just one subject that he needs to pull his socks up a bit in :nono:

Taja
23-03-2009, 02:44 PM
School children today seem to have far more homework than we did. Leu thinks that Lexie (5th grade) has more homework than she did in high school! I know we didn't have nearly as much as comparable grades do now. Most of mine was done before leaving school for the day. Projects were a bit of a bear, as I was a perfectionist. Other kids would cut pictures out of magazines and slap them on a piece of paper; I had to create original artwork within the text of the project. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with foreverducky that we need to do more to keep our students engaged in schoolwork. There are so many distractions these days--and most are more fun then the traditional learning through repetition that schools follow. :sigh: Despite the quantity of homework, more children seem to be slipping through the cracks these days. :( Or it's more reported than it used to be--not sure which.

lozzy
23-03-2009, 05:45 PM
My son handed in his collage homework today and his teacher was really pleased.
He did the Rialto bridge using all different picture of Italy.

lozzy
23-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Surely the teacher would have had a reason for doing it. Which class is it for?

Junior mod, which is history/geography and R.E in one lesson.