PDA

View Full Version : Job-hunting

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 04:21 PM
I have been looking for a part-time job for ages and I have had no success! No-where seems to be taking on and it is soo frustrating!!

I have had experience, I have good grades, and I still cannot find a job. It is soo annoying as I want to start saving for a car but it's just not possible with no income.

I have applied to a few places and only 1 of them actually has a current position.

Damn recession! It's really REALLY annoying :argue::furious:

Skywatcher
23-03-2009, 04:31 PM
You should go for a graphics design job mate :yes:

or maybe you could ask Keith to pay you for your modding duties ;)

I'm afraid I know so many people who are snaffling up all the part time jobs to pay their mortgages during the recession - the chap who delivers the papers round our road is in his 50's :sigh:

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 04:48 PM
You should go for a graphics design job mate :yes:
Believe me... if I thought I was good enough I would have left college and started doing free-lance work.

Skywatcher
23-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Believe me... your work is very very impressive

Don't leave college though - not because its not good work its really is but leaving is not a great idea for all sorts of reasons.

College girls being one :mental:

foreverducky
23-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I feel your frustration josh. I am also looking for a position (part-time).

catrancher
23-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Ahhh... young Skywalker!

good enough

Good enough... you are! Confident... you are not!

left college

Left college... do not!

Tom (:macwave:... if the force be so strong in me, why is it complete sentences I can't make?)

Taja
23-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Yep! Recession is affecting everyone right now. Locally, every position has at least 200 applicants--sometimes more!

When I started university, it was impossible to find a part-time job. A bit like being in the entertainment industry these days--you can't get a job without joining the union and having an agent, but you can't get a job or hire an agent without joining the union! In other words, they wouldn't hire anyone without 10 years experience, but no one would hire so you could gain experience! :mental:

Chris has a good idea with freelance graphics or any other specialties you may have tucked away. You would be working from home, so your overhead would be low. You could charge a fair price for your services and come in under established competition.

Make a portfolio of sample work and develop a brief presentation. Research local businesses to get an idea of what their needs might be, call and try to schedule appointments. That's the part I really dislike--I'm horrible at it! Sometimes it's easier to go in during slower times of the day and chat a bit--perhaps without the portfolio, then mention you would love to do... You get the idea!

That's how I started designing and fabricating jewelry. Needed money, people liked what they saw, I provided a good product at a good price--and I had a good career for a number of years! :)

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Believe me... your work is very very impressive
Thank-you :) Seriously, compared to the stuff I see regularly... mine may aswell be made in paint!

Don't leave college though - not because its not good work its really is but leaving is not a great idea for all sorts of reasons.

College girls being one :mental:
The only way I'd leave college is if I got an graphics apprenticeship, or similar, which they don't do :(

College girls like the non-college lads who have cars... why else would I be so keen to drive?! :wiggle:

Claire
23-03-2009, 04:55 PM
It's a shame you don't live locally to me Josh. I know of 3 places crying out for staff at the moment. One is an independent coffee shop and 2 are at 2 local Starbucks.

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Ahhh... young Skywalker!

Good enough... you are! Confident... you are not!

Left college... do not!

Tom (:macwave:... if the force be so strong in me, why is it complete sentences I can't make?)

http://dogslol.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/yoda6.jpg

foreverducky
23-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Ahhh, now the picture is so clear....you want a job, which will lead to a car which will ultimately lead you to your real goal.....a chick. :D

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 04:57 PM
It's a shame you don't live locally to me Josh. I know of 3 places crying out for staff at the moment. One is an independent coffee shop and 2 are at 2 local Starbucks.
I have applied at Cafe Nero and Costa Coffee. There aren't any going at the starbucks in liverpool either.

You have to be 18 to work at PC world which is annoying as I know abtou 10x more than anyone in there anyway!!! Monkey's could be trained to do a better job!

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Ahhh, now the picture is so clear....you want a job, which will lead to a car which will ultimately lead you to your real goal.....a chick. :D
LOL... are boys *really* that predictable?

Dawn
23-03-2009, 05:08 PM
LOL... are boys *really* that predictable?

Yes. Yes they are. :lol:

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes. Yes they are. :lol:
At least we don't moan about oppression :taunt:

uscwest
23-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I have a friend here in the US who is working for a Pizza Delivery place. He is lucky to be getting 13-20 hours/week. No whoda thunk that pizza delivery would be hit that hard by the economy?

foreverducky
23-03-2009, 05:18 PM
psst...psst...here's a secret....we are too.

Britchick
23-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank-you :) Seriously, compared to the stuff I see regularly... mine may aswell be made in paint!

College girls like the non-college lads who have cars... why else would I be so keen to drive?! :wiggle:

1. don't put yourself down and
2. the girl you're looking for won't care what you drive or don't drive hun she will love you for you.

:hug2:

Disneybumble
23-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Josh having spent two hours today at our local job-centre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think little Britain "Computer says no". Oh it was painful but anyways they had a section for under 18 jobs. Worth a try.

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Josh having spent two hours today at our local job-centre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think little Britain "Computer says no". Oh it was painful but anyways they had a section for under 18 jobs. Worth a try.
I think I will go sometime this week. Thanks Siobhan :thumbsup:

mumof2
23-03-2009, 09:15 PM
well if you're only in it to get a girl....

cut out the middleman, go straight for the girl - then there's no need to find a job to save the money to buy the car to get the girl :thumbsup:

oh! oh! i know - better still, find a girl that's into cutting her carbon footprint and likes to ride a bike or walk everywhere :yes:

makes sense to me! :unsure:

josh.p.
23-03-2009, 10:03 PM
well if you're only in it to get a girl....

cut out the middleman, go straight for the girl - then there's no need to find a job to save the money to buy the car to get the girl :thumbsup:

oh! oh! i know - better still, find a girl that's into cutting her carbon footprint and likes to ride a bike or walk everywhere :yes:

makes sense to me! :unsure:
LOL, I'm only kidding about doing it to pick up girls LOL. I just need money for my driving lessons and for other stuff too, since I wanna start saving for a car

Skywatcher
24-03-2009, 07:52 AM
What he means is - 'You cant snuggle on the back of a bike ;) '

Dawn
24-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Can't snuggle in the back of a Vauxhall Viva either - vinyl seats are slippery. :lol:

foreverducky
24-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Let's be honest, snuggling in any vehicle is
1. difficult and uncomfortable.
2. dangerous (if still driving)

:D

Skywatcher
24-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Vinyl seats are practical :D

its easier in an automatic

foreverducky
24-03-2009, 08:24 AM
:laughhard:

Tink
24-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Ahem. That will do, Skywalker. The boy will learn his own way through those sorts of issues, thanks. :nono:

Ummm Josh? Date a girl with a car. Sheesh.

One of the things I did for income at uni was to be a tutor. Can you do that? I went through the Office of Academic Support and they assigned students to me. I kept track of my hours and they paid an hourly wage. Another thing that was available was selling your (had to be excellent) notes to the Office for use by other students.

I learned what I was tutoring, and taking great notes was a natural for me. Can you look into something like that?

Skywatcher
24-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Become a spammer - there seems to be a lot of work out there for that at least :rolleyes:

MystikPiglit
24-03-2009, 01:46 PM

You always come up with the perfect solution to any problem. :wink: :lol:

mumof2
24-03-2009, 01:53 PM

Tink that's the one obvious solution isn't it - and oh dear, none of us even thought about it... :worship:

josh.p.
24-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Vinyl seats are practical :D

its easier in an automatic
:ROFL:

Ahem. That will do, Skywalker. The boy will learn his own way through those sorts of issues, thanks. :nono:

One of the things I did for income at uni was to be a tutor. Can you do that? I went through the Office of Academic Support and they assigned students to me. I kept track of my hours and they paid an hourly wage. Another thing that was available was selling your (had to be excellent) notes to the Office for use by other students.

I learned what I was tutoring, and taking great notes was a natural for me. Can you look into something like that?
I don't think we can do that sort of thing here. Tutoring is usually done by ex-teachers etc.. It's a great idea though :hug2:

Become a spammer - there seems to be a lot of work out there for that at least :rolleyes:
Hmmm....

CHEAP NOKIA 8500'S, IPHONES, AND MACBOOKS ALL FOR UNDER $99

was that good enough?! :unsure: where do I get my payment from? :unsure:

Skywatcher
24-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Finger hovers over ban button :evil:

Disneybumble
24-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Josh l will pay you to sit Liam GCSE's in May. PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE

Britchick
24-03-2009, 06:25 PM
my first boyfriend had a brown mini and that wasn't too small for snuggling:yes::tongue:

josh.p.
24-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Josh l will pay you to sit Liam GCSE's in May. PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE
Great stuff :thumbsup: He can have my results if he wants, I have the certificates in my bedroom cupboard

my first boyfriend had a brown mini and that wasn't too small for snuggling:yes::tongue:
I bet it was too small for anything else though :point:

Britchick
24-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Great stuff :thumbsup: He can have my results if he wants, I have the certificates in my bedroom cupboard

I bet it was too small for anything else though :point:

if i was a norty girl i would say where there's a will there's a way but of course i'm not and i'll just say :jawdrop:

Skywatcher
24-03-2009, 08:01 PM
A brown mini? Hmm nice

Britchick
24-03-2009, 08:07 PM
it's ok, he then upgraded it to a 'classy' union jack mini, we're talking 1988 here :yes:

kazzaqld
25-03-2009, 03:17 AM
My DH has never learned to drive so some girls don't mind non-driving guys! :)

She will like you for you Josh! :yes:

I'm sure you will find something if you keep at it! :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
25-03-2009, 07:54 AM
You could start a 'Pimp my Tortoise' service :yes:

Britchick
25-03-2009, 05:45 PM

that reminds me of an old joke

josh.p.
25-03-2009, 06:34 PM