PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! That wind is wicked tonight!

Taja
27-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Sounds more like thunder than wind. It's really whipping around! :eek: Haven't had a really bad wind storm like this in years. The one that took out my ocotillo last summer was more gusts than sustained winds.

Some areas in the valley have lost power, but we haven't had any issues yet. I'm moving through the house with a flashlight and my cell phone--just in case! :lol: I've called a number of people to be sure they're okay--although I'm not sure I could do anything other than call 911 if they weren't. My little car probably would be airborne if I tried to drive! Fortunately, everyone is fine at this point. :thumbsup:

The high wind advisory is supposed to end around 11:00 p.m.--but it was supposed to end around 7:00 p.m. Mother Nature just isn't cooperating tonight! :rolleyes:

Be interesting to see what I have to fish out of the pool tomorrow and if the shed and gate are still standing. :sigh:

Isafari
27-03-2009, 06:32 AM
And I though the winds were bad here!!! Sounds terrible Taja...stay safe and keep in touch :hug2:

Deb
27-03-2009, 06:54 AM
And I though the winds were bad here!!! Sounds terrible Taja...stay safe and keep in touch :hug2:

Was just thinking the same Isafari! It's been non-stop here really for days, and too bad to even walk the dog most of the time, but not as bad as that! Hope things are ok Taja, and that it passes very soon without mishap :hug2:

Taja
27-03-2009, 01:05 PM
The wind stopped about 10:30 last night. Went from whipping wildly to completely calm in about five minutes! :rolleyes:

I'll be able to go out and assess the mess in 20 minutes or so. The sky is just beginning to lighten a bit--not enough to wander outside safely, though.

foreverducky
27-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe another car will have landed in your drive way and you wont need to be worried about your little one. ;)

Watchinherskip
27-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey Taja, hope things aren't too bad there. Wicked weather across the nation eh? Looks like one of the Horsemen of the Appoclypse is starting to gallop. Floods in North Dakota, blizzards in the high plains, your wind, tornado damage in the south....eeks.

Taja
28-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey, don't pick on my little car, FD! I love it! :lol:

Very little damage. Had to do a temporary repair on the gate yesterday morning. It's the same age as the house and showing said age, but it isn't in the budget for three more years. :shrug: So I'll make some nicer repairs on it in the next few days.

The pool looked--and still does look--more like a mud hole than a swimming pool. :rolleyes: I skimmed and brushed it and threw some extra chemicals in to combat anything nasty that might in it. The patio and atrium are filled with debris--they seem to draw it like a magnet. The yard is full of debris, too, but it's more scattered. My bulk-trash pile survived nicely. Probably lost a bit from the edges, but the bulk of it was secured pretty well. :thumbsup:

I worked until about 9 this morning, then went outside to work on the clean-up. My back is screaming from picking up debris in the yard--haven't even started on anything else yet. I'm going back out shortly to clean the pool and filter a couple of times--which will just scratch the surface. Hope to manage three or four more cleanings tomorrow--before the next wind storm blows in! :mental:

Not at all what I had planned to do this weekend! :rolleyes: