PDA

View Full Version : Brothers

lozzy
30-03-2009, 08:41 AM
:hug2:My brother went on his holidays on Saturday to Katmandu, he is climbing to 2nd base camp on Everest.
Well I asked him to text me to say he has arrived safely and guess what still no contact. I'm hoping it is just as a result of poor phone signals there and that nothing has happened.
He is away for 3 weeks so it's a long time to wait hoping he arrives home safely. I have just resulted to emailing the company he has gone with to see if they can just let me know he arrived and all is well.

I can't help but worry, It isn't helped by the fact I had a dream going back before he was even going to Everest. The dream was about him climbing somewhere he gets stuck and can't get help, I didn't really think much about it at the time. I couldn't believe it when a few weeks later he told me what he was doing. I have never told him about the dream.

I know deep down he is o.k but I will still spend the next 3 weeks worried if I don't hear from him.

Plus this wouldn't be the first dream I have had that involved a family member being in trouble. Going back to 2005 I had a dream about my parents being hurt in a hotel bombing, well their went to Jordan in 2005. 9/11/2005 (my Dad's 50th birthday) was the date when 3 bombers attacked the hotels in Jordan and guess what my parents were in the Radisson sas in Jordan which was one of the attacked hotels. Thank god they were both O.K but that spooked me a little.
Sorry to rant on a bit but I need to talk to someone.

I'll update if I hear from him.:thumbsup:

mumof2
30-03-2009, 09:39 AM
oh gosh lozzy, how worrying for you. :hug2:

i'm sure all is well though - it's probably either due to the phone signal or the fact that brothers just don't remember when they're asked to do something important!

I won't say don't worry 'cos i know you will, so i'll send lots of hugs your way instead :hug2::hug2::hug2:

lozzy
30-03-2009, 09:41 AM
oh gosh lozzy, how worrying for you. :hug2:

i'm sure all is well though - it's probably either due to the phone signal or the fact that brothers just don't remember when they're asked to do something important!

I won't say don't worry 'cos i know you will, so i'll send lots of hugs your way instead :hug2::hug2::hug2:

Thank you, yeah Brother has a tendancy not to phone when asked.

Deb
30-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Oh Lozzy, how awful. Like Mumof2 said, I won't tell you not to worry, you will and so would I. I know you won't rest till you hear from him, but I hope that's soon so you can breathe a sigh of relief :hug2:

mumof2
30-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Thank you, yeah Brother has a tendancy not to phone when asked.

they're all the same I'm sure!

i swear there's some part missing, you know ~ the bit that says "oh i remember she asked me to call/do this that or the other and she'll worry/ be upset if i don't" :slap:

let us know when you hear, and in the meantime we're here to worry with you :hug2:

kazzaqld
30-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I never had brothers but I've made up for it with brothers-in-law and they can be just as bad!

Hope you make contact soon Lozzy - I'm sure everything is fine! :hug2:

uscwest
30-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I certainly hope that it is nothing worse than a bad phone signal. Hope you hear from him soon Lozzy. :hug2::hug2::hug2:

josh.p.
30-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Take it from an actual brother- we never EVER remember to phone, or we won't charge our mobiles enough before going :yes: Then when we *do* get credit/signal/charged battery, we feel too embarrased to phone because we know we'll be upto our eyeballs in trouble :point:

It must be very worrying but, and I know this will be hard, try not to think about the worst :yes: He will be fine. :hug2:

uscwest
30-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I was just reading an article that indicated that they are having problems getting permissions to do climbs right at the moment and that they hope to have it sorted out by 1 April. So perhaps he hasn't actually started yet.

lozzy
30-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I have just spoken to his best mate, He seems to think he wouldn't get a phone signal and knowing my brother he wouldn't know the dialing code for the U.K

lozzy
31-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Had a reply from the trek gropu my brother has gone with and they said evryone who should be on the trip has arrived so that must mean to arrived safely, just hasn't managed to get a phone signal to contact home.
thank you everyone for your kind thought.

mumof2
31-03-2009, 01:25 PM
aww that's good news lozzy. I'm sure he'll be fine but that won't stop you counting the days 'til he arrives home safely will it?! :hug2:

lozzy
02-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Re: Brothers (new problem)

My parents got home yesterday from they holiday and the answer phone was full of messages from my brothers baank. He forgot to tell them he was going on holiday, He has tried to use his card and the bank have stopped it. My dad phoned them to explain and for security reason my brother has to phone them.
I emailed the treking company last night asking them to contact him, I have given them the phone number he needs to ring so they can unlock his card. What makes it worse is he didn't take any money with him just his card. OMG I am so going to shot him when he gets home.

mumof2
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
oh for goodness sake.....!

good job the bank are on the ball - but not so good for your brother!

Tink
06-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Goodness, Lozzy! Just now catching up with this thread. I hope things are working out ok for your brother! :eek: Sheesh, not a good thing having the card shut down.

I think I have to agree with you, perhaps not shooting him but a good old slap might be in order when he gets home! After a huge hug, of course! :D

lozzy
07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I got a text from him, (at last) he is having a really great time the place is amazing is what he said. He had to use someone elses phone so his can't be working over there.
When he gets back I'll try and nab some photos and post.

Tink
07-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh, I'm just glad he was able to contact you and let you know everything is all right with him. :yes: I know you must be relieved!

It would be great to see some photos when he returns! :yes: (But you KNEW I'd say that)! :D :D

Thanks for letting us know he is ok!

mumof2
07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
oh well that's a huge relief lozzy ~ see all that time you were worrying and he was having a great time! :hug2:

Watchinherskip
07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
So glad that things are going well for him. I know it must be quite a relief to you and your family. I am wishing for a successful trek and for your brother to come back with great stories to tell.

lozzy
17-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I can't believe my brother is coming home tomorrow, 3 weeks has gone really quick. once I get some pic's I'll post.

Tink
17-04-2009, 10:29 AM
It has gone quickly, but in some ways you must be a little relieved to know that he's on his way home, safely. :yes: After some of the things that happened, and with the unrest in the world, it will be good for you to have him back where he belongs! :yes:

lozzy
18-04-2009, 09:33 AM
He arrived home at 7AM this morning, very tired. all fingers and toes in place but a little frost bitten. He had an amazing time, he was unwell for 2 days but still managed o.k he has lost 5kgs in weight.
Oh and he never did get any money he had to lend of people on the trip, good job he had some good people with him, just needs to get them paid back now.
Sounds like he is planning his next trip, god my nerves can't take it, not sure if that means the round the world trip is on hold or he will do more when he comes home from that.
He is coming over tomorrow with all the photos.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::b ounce:

Isafari
18-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Yay, home safe and sound. He's going to have some amazing photos .....and stories to match.

Tink
18-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Well when he comes over give him the biggest hug! Then a good firm shake for scaring the life out of all of us, ok? Sheesh! Brothers!

Seriously, it is a nice relief to know he's home and all is well. It is really wonderful that there were decent people there to help him with the money bit. He'll get it back to them and perhaps will be able to help someone else as he was helped (one day) eh? :yes:

Around the world trip? Surely not in a balloon! :eek: :wink:

lozzy
21-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Well when he comes over give him the biggest hug! Then a good firm shake for scaring the life out of all of us, ok? Sheesh! Brothers!

Seriously, it is a nice relief to know he's home and all is well. It is really wonderful that there were decent people there to help him with the money bit. He'll get it back to them and perhaps will be able to help someone else as he was helped (one day) eh? :yes:

Around the world trip? Surely not in a balloon! :eek: :wink:

No hot air ballons just lots of planes. :worship:

lozzy
21-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Saw my brother on Sunday, he had an amazing time lots of great stories to tell, some sad ones about how the companies treat the local guildes. Everyone on the trip has been asked by the trek guide if they would write a letter highlighting how fab the local guides are and how bad they thought the treatment they recieved was.

If anyone would like to see a few of his shots from the trip visit the well known social network site and look up shane windsor. for those who aren't on the site don't worry my brother is getting a web site together over the next few weeks and I'll post the site address when it's up and running.

Thank you everyone for your advice, might need you all again if he goes around the world.

Tink
21-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the update Lozzy. :yes: Will wait for him to post to his own website! Looking forward to seeing the photos.

I hope they are successful in getting some changes made with regard to the treatment of the local guides and sherpas. :( I worked with a woman in the very late 90's who used to go there for the mountain climbing experience, yearly. She always had terrible stories to tell of the treatment of the guides and sherpas. :( So, it's seems things haven't changed much in ten or so years. :(

mumof2
21-04-2009, 04:59 PM
oh he's home! phew! :hug2: can't wait to see the photos.

it's so awful though that the local guides are treated in this manner, let's face it - where would these companies be without them? :nono:

lozzy
23-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the update Lozzy. :yes: Will wait for him to post to his own website! Looking forward to seeing the photos.

I hope they are successful in getting some changes made with regard to the treatment of the local guides and sherpas. :( I worked with a woman in the very late 90's who used to go there for the mountain climbing experience, yearly. She always had terrible stories to tell of the treatment of the guides and sherpas. :( So, it's seems things haven't changed much in ten or so years. :(

No changes by the sounds of it, he was telling me he was told that many sherpas died when the Olympic was being carried there, I find it really hard to understand why people can't treat others with the respect they deserve.

I will let you know when his site is up and running.

Tink
23-04-2009, 01:19 PM
That is just so unbelievably sad. :(

Looking forward to visiting his site! :yes: