PDA

View Full Version : walking half marathon

Britchick
07-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I have been asked today to do a night time half marathon locally. How much training do you reckon you need to do for it? or could i just continue with my gym regime hoping i m fit enough?

mumof2
07-04-2009, 05:03 PM
i'd start walking if i was you Britchick, i found pounding the pavements completely different to the treadmill. Gym people may tell you different but as I'm not one of them that's just my opinion!

Good luck to you, i used to enjoy my daily walks - must start again, must start again!

lisaw
07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Definitely do some pavement walking :yes: When I walk with my friend we do 5 miles a night 2-3 nights a week and when we were doing it regularly I feel I could have done the half marathon (walking) we looked at doing it.

Is it the Playtex moonwalk (or half moon)? If so that was what we looked at doing and they have a training regime on their website :yes:

Disneybumble
07-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Whatever Julie you go girl. Walking will be hard but build it up over the weeks before.

Britchick
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Definitely do some pavement walking :yes: When I walk with my friend we do 5 miles a night 2-3 nights a week and when we were doing it regularly I feel I could have done the half marathon (walking) we looked at doing it.

Is it the Playtex moonwalk (or half moon)? If so that was what we looked at doing and they have a training regime on their website :yes:

no it's a local one through woods :unsure: it's 24th June- will go and have a look at regime

thanks

mumof2
07-04-2009, 06:22 PM
through the woods at midnight - yikes! :unsure:

is there a pavement type path then or is it a mud path? perhaps you should do your training in the woods then, but not on your own and definately NOT in the middle of the night!

Britchick
07-04-2009, 06:32 PM
through the woods at midnight - yikes! :unsure:

is there a pavement type path then or is it a mud path? perhaps you should do your training in the woods then, but not on your own and definately NOT in the middle of the night!

:lol:

i think this is just what i need to kick me into action and get me into that bikini!! Dan says he'll walk with me on the weekend. Caitlin one of the days in the week.

mumof2
07-04-2009, 06:39 PM
it really is good for you. I used to walk for 30-40 minutes every morning after i'd dropped the boys at school and really enjoyed it, and sometimes did the same in the afternoons before i collected them again.

i used to spot a person in the distance and make myself walk fast enough to overtake them, then do the same again and again - sometimes i felt like i could walk for hours.

when my youngest was at the first school about 2 minutes walk from me i used to walk far enough in the opposite direction that it'd take me 1/2 to get there!

Go for it love, it'll make you feel so good!

That's it I'm going to start again too - thanks for posting that question! :thumbsup:

Britchick
07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
this is the schedule M, i have only got 10 weeks so will just carry on till 10 weeks.

EZ HALF MARATHON TRAINING SCHEDULE

Prerequisite for this training plan: walking a minimum of 3 to 6 months, a base mileage of at least 15 miles per week, and the ability to easily walk 3 to 4 miles several times a week.

Monday and Friday - Rest Day - No workout
Tuesday and Thursday - Walk at a comfortable, but determined trainining pace for the designated mileage.
Wednesday - Crosstraining - Participate in an easy crosstraining activity for 30 - 45 minutes.
Saturday - Distance day - Walk for the designated mileage at a comfortable pace. Beginning with week 6 alternate weeks are shorter walks done at a slightly faster pace. Try to do weeks 10 and 12 at your goal "race" pace* .
Sunday - Recovery - Walk at a comfortable pace or participate in easy crosstraining for 30 minutes.

Notes:
Warmup and cool down time is included in the prescribed time each day. Stretching will require additional time. We also recommend that all walkers include strength training in their training routine. A few exercises two or three days a week is a good start. To compliment this schedule strength training can be done on Tuesday, and Thursday or Friday.

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1 Rest Day 3 miles CT 3 miles Rest Day 4 miles EZ or CT
2 Rest Day 3 miles CT 3 miles Rest Day 5 miles EZ or CT
3 Rest Day 3 miles CT 3 miles Rest Day 6 miles EZ or CT
4 Rest Day 3 miles CT 3 miles Rest Day 7 miles EZ or CT
5 Rest Day 3 miles CT 3 miles Rest Day 8 miles EZ or CT
6 Rest Day 3 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 6 miles EZ or CT
7 Rest Day 3 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 9 miles EZ or CT
8 Rest Day 4 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 6 miles EZ or CT
9 Rest Day 4 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 11 miles EZ or CT
10 Rest Day 4 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 8 miles * EZ or CT
11 Rest Day 4 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 13 miles EZ or CT
12 Rest Day 4 miles CT 4 miles Rest Day 8 miles * EZ or CT
13 Rest Day 3 miles CT 3 miles Rest Day 6 miles EZ or CT
14 Rest Day 2 miles 2 miles Rest Day 20 minutes Half Marathon Rest Day

mumof2
07-04-2009, 06:49 PM
blimey :unsure:

Britchick
07-04-2009, 06:57 PM
blimey :unsure:

but i should lose a few pounds right?

mumof2
07-04-2009, 09:10 PM
but i should lose a few pounds right?

oh yes. I'm sure you will! :yes:

and don't forget to swing those arms girl!

foreverducky
07-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Good luck with it! I will be interested to hear how it goes....now get training. :D

foreverducky
07-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes! Arms up and at that 90 degree angle. :D

Tink
08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Do you have to maintain a certain speed? For the WDW marathon (checked into the 1/2 marathon, walking) you have to maintain a 15 minute mile.

uscwest
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
When I was living in Germany I belonged to the Stuttgart American Wandering Club. We would do Volksmarches almost every Saturday and some Sundays. They varied from 10 to 20 KM. Sometimes we would do two in one day. They eventually started sponsoring Marathon walks as part of the volksmarch. I didn't think the first one I did would EVER end but finally after almost 8 hours it did. They more I did however, the shorter time it took. And you certainly couldn't beat the taste of a nice cold German beer when it was over.

Good luck Julie.

Britchick
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
don't think there is a time stipulation Tink :unsure:

thanks John and FD :hug2:

Britchick
12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
training has well and truly started, did 3 miles yesterday- no effort at all - crosstraining today.

Isafari
12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
good work Julie :yes:

foreverducky
12-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Good job! I hope you hear the Rocky theme as you walk. :D

Britchick
12-04-2009, 07:22 PM
i just did a 100 mile round car trip and i could hardly get out the car this end, think i may have over done it- rest day tomorrow :yes: