PDA

View Full Version : Scary stuff!!

josh.p.
08-04-2009, 02:44 AM
As some of you know... Mum and Dad went away this morning (Tuesday AM), and Myself and Jade are in charge of the house (obviously our relatives are all coming round during the day)

Anyway, my friend was staying over tonight, so he stayed in my bedroom at the front of the house, and I was in the back bedroom (Mum and Dads)

About 2AM, Jade and my friend (Ryan) knocked on the door saying there is a fire a few doors down from us. I got Niamh's crib, put it in the back bedroom (which has the smallest, tightest window) and then went around double checking all of the windows where locked. Jade phoned my aunty (aunty midwife who delivered Niamh) and asked if we should evacuate or stay put. We where going to put a damp blanket on her car seat and drive upto my Aunties house, but there was so much smoke outside we decided we where better inside. The fire is awful- the fire brigade is still out there now assessing the damage to the house down the road. Thankfully we didn't have to evacuate the house but it was very scary. Jade and Ryan heard a big smash and then people shouting- apparently someone noticed it was on fire and smashed a window.

I had to go into the back-garden to get the tortoises out of the shed as it was pluming with smoke that wasn't in OUR backgarden yet- but we knew that it would be soon, so I had to lock the conservatory door behind me so none of the smoke would get into the house. Their bedding would be flammable, but the Torts are now safley in a box in my bedroom. When I was out in the garden in the enclosure and the fire was awful and was spreading along their gutter too. There where firemen in the back garden of the house that was on fire and I could see the window- it was pluming out of the window- it was really horrible and like something off the telly.

There is no smoke in the house but it does stink!! The house ajoined to the one that was on-fire looks pretty badly damaged too- but luckily the lady who lives there is divorced and her children where at their dad's house.

A police officer knocked on our door to ask us if we where okay and get a statement from us, the lady who was in the house is elderly and is now in hospital :sorry: I don't know her extremely well but we do know her daughter and grandson, the police officer sounded very grim when he said she was in hospital :unsure:

Sorry if I have just rambled for a page and a half... but I am really shaken at the moment and I need to get it off my chest. My room stinks of smoke, as Do Jade's and Niamh's rooms, so myself and Ryan are asleep in the front room, and Jade is in the backbedroom. I've got the baby monitor next to my pillow so I can hear if any of them cough or anything.

Fire engine still running outside with a big huge stadium-type light to look into the house that is burnt out. :sorry:

Tink
08-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Ah no, Josh! That is a seriously frightening experience. :( I must say though that I am very glad you are there with your sister!

Try to get some rest. :hug2:

Deb
08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Oh Josh!!! :hug2:How horrible!

I do hope you're all starting to feel a little less shaken this morning. it sounds to me like you did all the right things, and seems like you kept a cool head on you, well done you :yes:

I do hope the old lady is ok :(

Have another :hug2:

xxx

Dawn
08-04-2009, 07:16 AM
:hug2: for you Josh.

You showed yourself to be a very mature young man the way you dealt with all that.

Hope everyone is ok.

Isafari
08-04-2009, 08:32 AM
How upsetting and frightenening that must have been for you all :hug2:
House fires are absolutely terrible, soul destroying things to have to go through. I'll be thinking of the old lady and willing her to pull through this.

Dizneyblonde
08-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Oh no Josh how horrible.

Thinking of you all today :hug2:

josh.p.
08-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Didn't get to sleep till 5:00am this morning- it's 10:00 now and I've just got up to put the torts back in their sheds, I couldn't sleep much at all :sorry:

That post I made last night is non-sense in some parts- I was very shaky. It really was horrible because we where scared of fumes/smoke affecting Niamh and ourselves. The road was literally filled with smoke from it, the garden did get loads of smoke in it as I was on my way back to the house and my PJ's stink :thumbsdown:. There are two police officers outside the burnt house who have been there all night (or perhaps they switched to give the other two rest or something? :unsure:)

I know this must sound like I am being mellowdramatic as the fire wasn't even in our house, but it was really nerve-wracking as you hear all these things about smoke/lung damage and carbon monoxide or whatever it's called. Thank-god that the lady next door's kids where at their dads!!! :yes:

mumof2
08-04-2009, 09:50 AM
oh my goodness Josh, you poor things.

You did REALLY well there, well done to you for keeping your wits about you in a frightening time. Thank goodness you're all ok, and I hope the poor lady pulls through :hug2:

Tink
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Ach and you are going to have another stressful day due to lack of sleep. :hug2: :( Smoke from fires is very overwhelming. My Da used to be a volunteer fire captain and when he'd come home from fighting a fire he smelled horrible. :(

Seriously though, you've done all you can to protect yourselves, your torts and your home. Being sure that all the doors and windows were closed as tightly as they could be, bringing the torts in and all the other safety measures you took were the right things to do.

Keep the baby (and yourselves) indoors out of the lingering smoke as much as you can today. Hopefully, you'll have some help from the weather and a good breeze will come along to move the smoke away.

Not sure how you feel about it but you could ask the police on duty if they'd like a drink (coffee if you have it or something else?) or a sandwich? They might really appreciate it!

The good fortune in all this is that no one was injured, eh?

Try to get a nap today if you can! :hug2:

Ursula
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
If your house is smokey luvvie the firemen have machines that blow smoke out of houses XXXXXX That was very scary for you Josh XXXXXXXX Hope everyone is all ok X BIG HUGS honey XXXXXXXXXXXX

josh.p.
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone :hug2: I have just offered to make Coffee for them but they said no, I don't think they are actually allowed to accept it :unsure: The amount of police that are in the road- even starbucks doesn't have enough coffee for them!!!

It has been classed as Arson :( :sad: Jade did hear screaming and shouting but assumed it was because there where people in the house... now they are thinking that perhaps it was the argument before the fire was started. It is so sad- The lady who lives there is in hospital now and there are forensics team swarming the street. It's been blocked off except for residents. Jade has had to take Niamh to the doctors today for her 6 week check-up, luckily it was a windy night and all the smoke has gone. :yes:

The firemen are coming to check our smoke alarms and said they'll install a free one in Jade's room for us too. :thumbsup: It's scary at the minute knowing it was arson :(

mumof2
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Not sure how you feel about it but you could ask the police on duty if they'd like a drink (coffee if you have it or something else?) or a sandwich? They might really appreciate it!

that's a good idea Tink, they do have to stand around for hours on end sometimes with no refreshments - it did cross my mind but for some reason I didn't write it....:unsure:

Josh, i would just like to say again how amazing you were for keeping your wits about you and doing everything you possibly could to protect your family and your torts. I'm sure your Mum and Dad will be extremely proud of you......:hug2:

edited to add: sorry, you posted before me! Arson? On an old lady's house - oh my goodness. Hopefully Jade will mention the smoke and the docs will give Niamh a check over to make sure she's ok.

Tink
08-04-2009, 11:13 AM
That is just dreadful. :( And terrifying. :(

josh.p.
08-04-2009, 11:25 AM
that's a good idea Tink, they do have to stand around for hours on end sometimes with no refreshments - it did cross my mind but for some reason I didn't write it....:unsure:

Josh, i would just like to say again how amazing you were for keeping your wits about you and doing everything you possibly could to protect your family and your torts. I'm sure your Mum and Dad will be extremely proud of you......:hug2:

edited to add: sorry, you posted before me! Arson? On an old lady's house - oh my goodness. Hopefully Jade will mention the smoke and the docs will give Niamh a check over to make sure she's ok.
She has given it a mention and the doctors listened to her chest and probably some other stuff, and said she is A-OK! It is so scary thinking the poor lady was a victim of arson :(

We heard her daughter screaming "My mum is in the bedroom!!!"- her daughter is about 20+ and has a son, thank-god he wasn't in the house!! He often stays there at weekends and sometimes in the holidays too.

I am just so glad that she is alive and will hopefully get better soon. :sorry:

Tink
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Geez. How truly awful for that family. :(

So good to know little Niamh is perfectly fine! :yes:

uscwest
08-04-2009, 11:38 AM
OMG, how awful for that family, as well as yours. Do you live in a row house Josh? Glad to hear that all are safe though and quick thinking on your part.

josh.p.
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
OMG, how awful for that family, as well as yours. Do you live in a row house Josh? Glad to hear that all are safe though and quick thinking on your part.

They are all semi-detached. The house was 3 doors down from me :(

josh.p.
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/04/08/wirral-arson-attack-woman-71-rescued-100252-23341921/

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/04/08/woman-70-suffers-severe-burns-after-house-fire-in-claughton-wirral-100252-23340451/

:sorry: At least they have caught the @%@$^ they think did it :yes:

Britchick
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Josh, i think as Dawn said you handled that like a very mature young Man. Arson is terrible, i think unfortunately it is increasing. Glad you're all ok :hug2:

Rosie0610
08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Thankfully you are all safe Josh! I hope your neighbor pulls through. From reading the article you posted it sounds like they were able to get the lady out so quickly because the neighbors had already called the authorities due to the yelling.

Hopefully the rest of your week will be calmer!

lisaw
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
That terrible Josh, glad you are all OK and the lady from the house is doing OK. :hug2:

mainecoon lover
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh no Josh how awful for you all and the poor old lady. You certainly shown what a mature thoughtful young man you are.

uscwest
09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I wonder why on earth someone would firebomb an elderly woman's home? There are some sick people out there.

foreverducky
09-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh goodness Josh. I'm so sorry I missed this post. :hug2: How very scary! And like others have said, I'm so thrilled that you were able to pull it together and do what you had to do at the time.

josh.p.
09-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I wonder why on earth someone would firebomb an elderly woman's home? There are some sick people out there.
I know I'm not exactly a police officer... but she is very *very* elderly, and she is always spoiling her gran children with fancy stuff. I think she might have a bit of money and someone wanted insurance/inheritance money :unsure:
I really do hope that isn't the case, but that is what seems the most obvious. It's been a scary few months around here. It's always been quiet around here and in the last 6 months there has been a stabbing and an Arson attack. :sorry: The stabbing was a family feud so not a random-attack, and apparently the arson has been planned too. :unsure: There are still 6 police officers in the road- two plain clothed ones who have been outside all night, and four in a forensics van. Scary times!! We haven't told Mum the full extent of it- she would be a bag of nerves, and we are probably safer than we ever have been with all these police officers around!

mumof2
09-04-2009, 09:26 PM
good grief Josh, events like this are shocking and frightening for everyone :hug2:thank goodness they've arrested somebody already.

I'm sure it'll all go away in time and your neighbourhood will get back to normal....

have you heard any further news on the lady involved?

Taja
09-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Goodness! You handled everything so well, Josh!

I do hope the woman who was hospitalized recovers quickly. Fire has to be one of the more terrifying, uncontrollable things in our lives!

josh.p.
09-04-2009, 10:16 PM
good grief Josh, events like this are shocking and frightening for everyone :hug2:thank goodness they've arrested somebody already.

I'm sure it'll all go away in time and your neighbourhood will get back to normal....

have you heard any further news on the lady involved?
She has severe burns apparently :sorry: Latest news reports have said the person responsible is her Son.. another said her Grandson. She is 71, and the gran/son is 25, so we suspect one has got it wrong and it was actually her granson :sorry: I hope they are wrong though how terrible is that.

mumof2
09-04-2009, 10:22 PM
She has severe burns apparently :sorry: Latest news reports have said the person responsible is her Son.. another said her Grandson. She is 71, and the gran/son is 25, so we suspect one has got it wrong and it was actually her granson :sorry: I hope they are wrong though how terrible is that.

Her Grandson? oh no, that's just the worst news :sad:

i hope she'll be strong enough to get through this. :hug2:

josh.p.
09-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Her Grandson? oh no, that's just the worst news :sad:

i hope she'll be strong enough to get through this. :hug2:
I know :( It is horrible looking up at her window all burnt out. The police are still in there, there are two police cars in the road at all times, too. :sorry:

mumof2
09-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I know :( It is horrible looking up at her window all burnt out. The police are still in there, there are two police cars in the road at all times, too. :sorry:

:hug2: