PDA

View Full Version : Travellers checks

mainecoon lover
09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I have been reading else were that travellers cheques are not widely accepted anymore, does anyone know if this is true.

Taja
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
As far as I know, they are still accepted nearly everywhere.

The issuers prefer that you purchase a card--they're more profitable for them. They charge to issue them, charge for you to use them and charge even more if the balance exceeds a predetermined period. :rolleyes:

Isafari
09-04-2009, 10:00 PM
We had no problems anywhere we went at the beginning of the year Michelle.

mumof2
09-04-2009, 10:07 PM
i have no idea on your question Michelle but it'd feel kind of weird going to Florida without travellers cheques, remembering to get them has always been a part of the trip!

mainecoon lover
10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
As far as I know, they are still accepted nearly everywhere.

The issuers prefer that you purchase a card--they're more profitable for them. They charge to issue them, charge for you to use them and charge even more if the balance exceeds a predetermined period. :rolleyes:

This is my feelings on them as well. Thanks all. Travellers checks for me as usual then :thumbsup: I agree mumof2 i would feel weird with out the as well.

Slowhand
11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Oddly enough I always used to take travellers cheques with us but nowadays I tend to take a small amount of cash [say $500 or so] and then use my cc if ever I need cash from an ATM or to pay for any purchases or meals.
It`s one less hassle to think about before I leave the UK!

Britchick
11-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Oddly enough I always used to take travellers cheques with us but nowadays I tend to take a small amount of cash [say $500 or so] and then use my cc if ever I need cash from an ATM or to pay for any purchases or meals.

i tend to do the same, although we will probably take $1000 split between us for insurance purposes- our CC through sainsburys has always had exellent exchange rates and we withdraw cash at Bank of America because they have a good rate with Barclays.

keith
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Yep this is exactly what we do, making sure to use a credit rather than a debit card in case of fraud

Britchick
11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Yep this is exactly what we do, making sure to use a credit rather than a debit card in case of fraud

tbh Keith i tend to use CC for everything apart from withdrawing cash now for this very reason - upside is you can collect points/rewards of your choice:thumbsup:

Taja
11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
If you plan to use a CC, be sure to check exchange rates/fees before you leave for WDW. The US credit card companies are becoming quite nasty about fees and more fees lately. As in, if they can find a way to charge a fee, they do! :rolleyes: