PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of converting to Mac - joining the darkside - how easy will it be?

Skywatcher
16-04-2009, 04:47 PM
:unsure:

Ok the laptop is beginning to show signs of weakness :mad: the weakpoint from my experience anyway is the link to the screen and this is beginning to show signs of the dreaded flicker - also the hard drive is small and the USB ports are simply not up to what I need for my astro stuff - according to the boards I'm on there Acer USB's do drop out sometimes and I cant afford for that to happen even for a millisecond

Having spent a frustrating weeked to say the least trying to sort out something on my MILs laptop using Vista in anger for the frst time I was ready to throw the ****** thing against the wall - it is the single clunkiest most paranoid least user friendly piece of garbage I have ever used and finding a good laptop with XP on is getting increasingly hard

Which brings me onto MACs - I have been massively impressed not only with the ergonomics but the bulletproofness (:unsure:) of my iPhone and my ipod , and I am pretty late to owning one of them I can tell you.

I am , I'm afraid a microsoft boy through and through and used to have fun tinkering with windows 3.1 using my autoexec.bat and config.sys boot discs with confidence and have kind of 'grown' with them. I am comfortable with them and know where I stand, but I'm just not sure I could live with vista :(

How easy is it to be up and running with a macbook or macbook pro quickly - I'm afraid I love to tinker with all the settings on the computer and the Macs just look kind of alien to me ( daft I know) so for othersthat made the switch is it instinctive and easy?

catrancher
16-04-2009, 05:00 PM
How easy is it to be up and running with a macbook or macbook pro quickly - I'm afraid I love to tinker with all the settings on the computer and the Macs just look kind of alien to me ( daft I know) so for othersthat made the switch is it instinctive and easy?

Trivial! :yes:

The good folks in the Apple stores will even help you by transferring your files from your Windows PC to your shiny, new Mac.

As far as the actual system setup is concerned, the first time you bring up your new Mac, there's a "wizard" kind of thing that runs that let's you setup the pertinent goodies (time zone, network, user accounts, etc). Subsequently, all these things are available to you via the "System Preferences" application. Kinda like the Windows Control Panel concept.

Here's the Apple web page with all the particulars about switching (http://www.apple.com/uk/support/switch101/).

Beyond, that; once you've switched, you can still setup your machine with a Windows partition either through Bootcamp (supplied with the machine, dual boot) or one of the VM's like Parallels Desktop or VMWare. Assuming you still want to torture yourself with Windows! :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... Hello.... I'm a Mac! :apple:)

Skywatcher
16-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Ok thanks for that. Presumably it would be pretty easy to look at things like power managements of the USB ports? Also do macs use FireWire tech? Sorry for the stupid q's

catrancher
16-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Certainly not stupid! Legitimate questions.

Power management of USB devices on a Mac has been, for me, a non-issue. When the Mac goes into sleep mode, it does the all the USB standards specified stuff. It notifies the devices that power is going to die, it gets back acknowledgements, then it terminates power. Any issues with USB power management that I've seen have always been device driver related and usually a rather poor implementation of the USB standards. Most USB things on a Mac just work. When the Mac wakes, it sends USB wakeup signals rather than just turning the power back on.

Regarding Firewire ports. If you're talking about the Macbook Pro, the answer is yes. They have a single Firewire 800 port. The 15" Macbook Pro has two USB 2.0 ports also. The 17" model has 3 USB 2.0 ports.

Tom (:macwave:... trying to be helpful!)

Dawn
16-04-2009, 05:49 PM
:mental:

Dawn (fearing losing another to the dark side :lipwobble: )

Skywatcher
16-04-2009, 05:58 PM
So presumably you can set these things to never power off and go into sleep mode :unsure: only for what I need it for I may leave the computer running for hours on end unattended - I'm sure there are ways to do it.

Only 2 usb ports :unsure: that seems kind of stingy that only leaves one once the mouse is added

catrancher
16-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Dawn (fearing losing another to the dark side :lipwobble: )

<center>
Look into my eyes!
Look deep into my eyes!

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/jobs.jpg

Mwahahaha
</center>

catrancher
16-04-2009, 06:15 PM
So presumably you can set these things to never power off and go into sleep mode :unsure: only for what I need it for I may leave the computer running for hours on end unattended - I'm sure there are ways to do it.

Oh sure! The System Preferences that I mentioned earlier has an "Energy Saver" configuration application in it. Through that, you can tell the machine exactly what to do when it's either plugged in or on battery. Things like how long to wait to put the computer to sleep (if at all), or the displays, or specify things like wake on LAN. That kind of stuff.

Only 2 usb ports :unsure: that seems kind of stingy that only leaves one once the mouse is added

That's on the 15" model. On the 17" there's 3. All a matter of real estate space around the edge of the machine.

Tom (:macwave:... think :apple: :yes:)

josh.p.
16-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Yay!! We have more recruits :evil:

Seriously- you will NOT miss windows! If you do, there is also parallels so that you can run windows in a seperate little 'window'.

Don't worry about the two USB ports. If you buy an apple keyboard and mouse, then the keyboard has two more USB ports for you to use so it acts like a 'hub' :yes:

The iLife suite is brilliant for your disney photos and videos etc.

I *promise* you will get used to the interface of a mac- the control panel is in some ways similar to Windows- only improved! You have all the options for different sections from the 'system preferences' panel.

Also..... if you have an external HD then you will be able to take advantage of 'time machine' which is just stunning!

If you go to your local apple store and speak to them they will be able to transfer EVERYTHING over to your new computer for you- at the genius bar! :yes:

Skywatcher
16-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Hmm interesting there is one near my folks in Southampton.

Not sure why I would get a keyboard though if I was getting a laptop :unsure:

Do the macbooks /pro have the same slot type thing I have on my current one for an additional card? Just looking for ways to increase the USB ports, I was kind of hoping to do away with my powered hub.

catrancher
16-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Do the macbooks /pro have the same slot type thing I have on my current one for an additional card? Just looking for ways to increase the USB ports, I was kind of hoping to do away with my powered hub.

Sure do. Express Card/34 slot on the Macbook Pro's. Here's a link to the Apple page with the specs for the 15" and 17" Macbook Pro. (http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/specs.html)

Keep in mind also that they have built in 802.11n networking, gigabit ethernet, and Bluetooth. Lot's of connectivity options.

Tom (:macwave:... veni, vidi, codi)

josh.p.
16-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Hmm interesting there is one near my folks in Southampton.

Not sure why I would get a keyboard though if I was getting a laptop :unsure:

LOL- I thought you had said you wanted to plug a keyboard in but I just re-read and you said a mouse :rotfl:

Unfortunatley there is no PCMCIA slot on the macbook :sorry: Do you definatley want a laptop?

josh.p.
16-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Sure do. Express Card/34 slot on the Macbook Pro's. Here's a link to the Apple page with the specs for the 15" and 17" Macbook Pro. (http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/specs.html)

Keep in mind also that they have built in 802.11n networking, gigabit ethernet, and Bluetooth. Lot's of connectivity options.

Tom (:macwave:... veni, vidi, codi)
Oops! Didn't realise the pros had an express card slot!

Skywatcher
16-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Yep I need it to take outside at night to work with the telescope.

josh.p.
16-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Yep I need it to take outside at night to work with the telescope.
Ahhh... I see! The USB things is the only real gripe I have with Macbooks tbh :yes:

Skywatcher
16-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Yep I need ideally 3 at the very least.

I can never get on with the touch pad things they have and alwaysneed a mouse

catrancher
16-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, you could always use a Bluetooth wireless mouse. That would leave you with all 3 USB ports.

Also, if you're going to be using it at night in the dark, you'll love the backlit keyboard. :yes:
Has an ambient light sensor. You set how bright you want it to be. It's fantastic for use in the dark.

Tom (:macwave:... who's in the dark himself)

keith
16-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Also, if you're going to be using it at night in the dark, you'll love the backlit keyboard. :yes:
Has an ambient light sensor. You set how bright you want it to be. It's fantastic for use in the dark.

oh I forgot about that, that's the BEST bit!

josh.p.
16-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I lovelovelove the back-lit keyboard on the pro's!!! The bluetooth mouse would be ideal Chris!

catrancher
17-04-2009, 10:30 AM
oh I forgot about that, that's the BEST bit!

Wondered where you were? :questionmark:

Thought I was gonna have to convince Chris all by myself! :whistle:

Tom (:macwave:... I want YOU... for the Apple army!)

keith
17-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Wondered where you were? :questionmark:

Thought I was gonna have to convince Chris all by myself! :whistle:

Well I potentially have a vested interest in that I'm selling a macbook pro so I'm having to try and hold back :lol:

Tink
17-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Not that I can add a single intelligent techno-geek thing to this thread, but I'll tell you that I have a Think Pad lenovo for work and I hate it. The only good thing about it is that there is no stinking vista to deal with.

I love Mac. :yes: It's fast, it's sexy, it's efficient and it's powerful. Play with them, get the feel of them and choose the one you like the best. We love the airbook, simply because it is so darn beautiful, but the Macbook pro is really a wonderful machine. :yes:

We shall be happy to welcome you into the arms of the Mac lovers here. :yes: It is an exclusive club now, mind! No drooling, sipping tea over the keyboard, or white out on the screen is allowed! :D

Good luck to you Chris. Once you go Mac, you'll wonder why you waited and you'll NEVER go back to the clunkers again. :hug2:

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Believe it or not the backlit keyboard may be very important as I will use it in pitch darkness and the second you use a torch on the keyboard bang goes 20 minutes dark adaption.

It looks fro my :geekon: other sites that 2-3 bits of software simply won't work on the OS of the mac and need to be run within a windows frame - but it looks doable - :unsure: does that mean I have to pay to buy windows as well then :unsure: ( or might it come installed on a previously owned mac :wink: :lol:)

The pro looks the best bit as I run a LOT of stuff at once from the lappy and 2 USB's will not cut it - if I can buy a card with 2 slots on then the no. of interfaces will then be 5 USB slots and a firewire which will be great as an external bus is a chaper soloution but its more plugs sockets and wires which , frankly I could do without.

I want to lick the macbook air as it is just gorgeous , but would be utterly useless for my needs

Tink
17-04-2009, 10:48 AM
:sigh: Isn't that the way? Well, you could have an airbook just to carry around and look sexy, yes? (The airbook I mean)!

keith
17-04-2009, 10:49 AM
It looks fro my :geekon: other sites that 2-3 bits of software simply won't work on the OS of the mac and need to be run within a windows frame - but it looks doable - :unsure: does that mean I have to pay to buy windows as well then :unsure: ( or might it come installed on a previously owned mac :wink: :lol:)

I do believe it could possibly .. cough cough

I want to lick the macbook air as it is just gorgeous , but would be utterly useless for my needs

We keep saying the same in work :( we all want a macbook air but we can't give up our macbook pros for one because the power, ports, drives just aren't there.

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Its design over function, which is out of character presumably there is a fairly large dribble guard though :unsure:

OK it looks like my mind is being made up for me

Carpe Diem is not only the only philosophy for life I genuinely believe its going to solve the credit crunch as well :lol:

catrancher
17-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Carpe Diem is not only the only philosophy for life I genuinely believe its going to solve the credit crunch as well :lol:

Oh joy! Welcome to the fold, brother!

I'll forward the instructions for the super secret handshake later.

Now, we just gotta finish working on Terry! :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... Apple certified evangelizing type person!)

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Its design over function, which is out of character presumably there is a fairly large dribble guard though :unsure:

I think the airbook is a mix of both. It is fashionable- but it is SOOO functional aswell... If you imagine being an international business person who needs e-mails etc, how much easier would it be to have a macbook air instead of lugging around a 'fatter' laptop :yes: It definatley has a target market there :yes: Just perhaps the secrets lot aren't in that 'target market' :unsure: Another recruit :evil:

P.S ..... the mac-rumours forum has a great area called 'switchers' and there is loads of interesting reads about switching to a mac :yes:

keith
17-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I think the airbook is a mix of both. It is fashionable- but it is SOOO functional aswell... If you imagine being an international business person who needs e-mails etc, how much easier would it be to have a macbook air instead of lugging around a 'fatter' laptop :yes:

The problem is that it doesn't even have an ethernet port :( I mean you can add a usb one but they're looking forward to a time where EVERYWHERE has wifi and unfortunately it doesn't right now.

So even if you're using it to travel around, you find you have to add some adapters and wotsits to be able to use it in all the places you want to.

I still want one :lol: but for the price, the compromises are just too great for me

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 01:24 PM
The problem is that it doesn't even have an ethernet port :( I mean you can add a usb one but they're looking forward to a time where EVERYWHERE has wifi and unfortunately it doesn't right now.

So even if you're using it to travel around, you find you have to add some adapters and wotsits to be able to use it in all the places you want to.

I still want one :lol: but for the price, the compromises are just too great for me
Ahh! That is the major down-fall then IMO. I think within a few years the whole contry will be wifi accesible! I mean... I went to spain and our hotel had free wifi... in a beach-type resort... why would anyone use it there?

keith
17-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Ahh! That is the major down-fall then IMO. I think within a few years the whole contry will be wifi accesible! I mean... I went to spain and our hotel had free wifi... in a beach-type resort... why would anyone use it there?

on your iphone? ;)

I agree, everywhere will and indeed should be wifi accessible but for the sake of a cheap little component and a bit of space for the port, they're jumping the gun by removing it on this version of the airbook (as they were a bit too early removing the floppy drive, the modem etc.)

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah josh once the iPhone is within your mits you will be watching out for wifi spots ;)
So on a totally unrelsted topic I sincerely hope your upgrade goes through smoothly Keith and more importantly quickly :D.

keith
17-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah josh once the iPhone is within your mits you will be watching out for wifi spots ;)
So on a totally unrelsted topic I sincerely hope your upgrade goes through smoothly Keith and more importantly quickly :D.

so noted sir :D

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:02 PM

so, hows it going? :unsure:

:wink: :lol:

I am cursing myself to a year of cloudy skies

keith
17-04-2009, 02:04 PM

so, hows it going? :unsure:

:wink: :lol:

I am cursing myself to a year of cloudy skies

:laugh:

You'll just press the "clear sky" function button on the macbook pro and the clouds will part

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 02:05 PM
on your iphone? ;)

I agree, everywhere will and indeed should be wifi accessible but for the sake of a cheap little component and a bit of space for the port, they're jumping the gun by removing it on this version of the airbook (as they were a bit too early removing the floppy drive, the modem etc.)
LOL- I was being sarcastic... I spent the whole holiday sunbathing and downloading apps at the same time. The wifi was really slow in both our room and the pool area- it was best used in reception (which was actually across the road) :yes: We did drink in a few bars that had a wifi zone too :yes:

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:12 PM
You'll just press the "clear sky" function button on the macbook pro and the clouds will part

Gasp - thats the dream :jawdrop: :laugh:

Truely I am a Mac convert

Ooo another daft question - what is the conversion like for word documents and powerpoint presentations :unsure: presumably I would just have to run office through the windows bit

Ooo and daft question no 2 - is it possible to run a programme in windows wils simultaneously running one on the mac os :unsure:

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:12 PM
LOL- I was being sarcastic...

:dozey: Kids today tsk :rolleyes: :wink:

keith
17-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Ooo another daft question - what is the conversion like for word documents and powerpoint presentations :unsure: presumably I would just have to run office through the windows bit

Well there isn't any conversion needed if you a) run MS office 08 for mac :) or b) run the windows version in the bubble

Ooo and daft question no 2 - is it possible to run a programme in windows wils simultaneously running one on the mac os :unsure:

oh HECK yeah, wait till you see it. A screenshot is really needed but it's NOTHING like you'd imagine. Basically you have your mac deskop and on it are mac apps, and windows apps just sitting there running as if the machine understood both. You just click back and forth as you would and thats that

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:18 PM
:jawdrop:

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Seriously :jawdrop:

catrancher
17-04-2009, 02:19 PM
It looks fro my :geekon: other sites that 2-3 bits of software simply won't work on the OS of the mac and need to be run within a windows frame - but it looks doable - :unsure:

Don't know if it's applicable in your case or not Chris, but keep in mind that all Macs come with numerous tools either pre-installed or freely available for you to install. Some of these are:

The complete software development tools (XCode, Interface Builder, etc.)
Various scripting languages (Perl, Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.)
Web server (Apache pre-installed).
Data Base engines (MySql, SqLite, etc).

So, if any of your applications are open source type things, it's not beyond the realm of possibility to port them to the Mac. :yes:

If your geek :geekon: is up to it!

Beyond that, here's an interesting site about Macs in Astronomy! (http://www.primordial-light.com/macastronomer.html)

Hope this helps! If not, just tell me to shut up and sit down. I follow instructions well.

Tom (:macwave:... attempting to ease the transition!)

catrancher
17-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Seriously :jawdrop:

Yep, seriously. What Keith said. Screen shot coming up as soon as my Parallels Windows XP partition boots up.

Tom (:macwave:... one by one!)

keith
17-04-2009, 02:26 PM
:)

catrancher
17-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Ahhh.... beat me to it!

Tom (:macwave:... getting slower as I age!)

keith
17-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Ahhh.... beat me to it!

Tom (:macwave:... getting slower as I age!)

well it's only an advert from the vmware site, not a true Tom-Parallels shot :) I think we still need one of those :D

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:31 PM
ooooo explody thing :D

I am sure I willneed quite bit of help to get going but I am seriously excited about this now - I will probably be too precious about it to take it out into the garden now :lol:

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Cheers for the link Tom but if it works with windows then I will not need to settle for anything other than the software I am used to :thumbsup:

catrancher
17-04-2009, 02:34 PM
well it's only an advert from the vmware site, not a true Tom-Parallels shot :) I think we still need one of those :D

Ok, when Windows gets around to actually starting again (updates in progress), I'll do that.

In the meantime, why not tell him about Spaces and Expose???? That oughta get his juices flowing! :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... corrupting the world, one user at a time!)

keith
17-04-2009, 02:35 PM
ooooo explody thing :D

I am sure I willneed quite bit of help to get going but I am seriously excited about this now - I will probably be too precious about it to take it out into the garden now :lol:

:lol: there's a certain amount of pride about the looks of the things I must admit. Back 5 or 6 years ago I had a minor, but impressively venomous, spat at a new york airport security scanner with a jobsworth who wanted me to remove the coat I'd carefully laid out in the tray so my powerbook, as they were then, didn't get scratched :lol:

keith
17-04-2009, 02:36 PM
In the meantime, why not tell him about Spaces and Expose???? That oughta get his juices flowing! :laugh2:

no one's mentioned Spaces and Expose yet? omg! GASP!

:lol:

catrancher
17-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Ok, here's a screen shot of my Mac desktop with Parallels running my Windows XP installation. Sorry about the obnoxious Windows XP desktop theme. I just like Mickey! :yes:

And on the subject of Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, don't forget that the iWork suite from Apple will import all of those formats. Quite a bit cheaper than springing for the Mac version of Office.

Tom (:macwave:... sorry about the loud desktop theme!)

keith
17-04-2009, 02:48 PM
And on the subject of Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, don't forget that the iWork suite from Apple will import all of those formats. Quite a bit cheaper than springing for the Mac version of Office.

....and in my opinion, iWork is what office SHOULD have been. It's a delight to use, I almost look forward to "creating" things in it unlike dreading calling up word/excel/powerpoint

catrancher
17-04-2009, 02:54 PM
....and in my opinion, iWork is what office SHOULD have been. It's a delight to use, I almost look forward to "creating" things in it unlike dreading calling up word/excel/powerpoint

<center>Absolutely!</center>

catrancher
17-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, Expose first. Expose gives you the capability of reducing all the windows you've got open and cluttering up your view to miniaturized versions all shown on a single screen. You can click on any of the miniature views to bring that particular window to the front. See the attached image for a view of what it looks like. This capability can be accessed via a function key, key stroke sequence, or mouse click combination. I've got mine set to a mouse click combination.

Don't know if this is really clear or not. If not, Keith, please chime in and help.

Tom (:macwave:... now, on to Spaces)

catrancher
17-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Spaces is like a bunch of virtual desktops. You decide how many. My system is set to 4 rows and 4 columns. You can move between desktop environments either off a menu, via keystrokes/function keys or mouse button combinations.

The attached picture shows my 4 rows and 4 columns of Spaces. I put a single window into each Space so you could get an idea of how it works.

You may want to take a look at the Mac OS X guided tour (http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/guidedtour/). They can probably show better what this stuff looks like and how it works.

Tom (:macwave:... I'll shut up now!)

keith
17-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Great shots Tom :yes:

I love spaces, really helps keep different tasks separate so I can concentrate on something and have full space available to it

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Jesus.... you lot have been mac-preaching..... without ME?! :jawdrop:

No-one has mentioned time machine yet.....

You just make back-ups to an external HD... browse to the necessary folder and hit the time machine button and you get this bad-boy......
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/Picture4.png
And you literally just drag your cursor up the time-line and you see a version of every 'state' that file was in... with the ability to grab it and use it :yes:

Or dashboard......

A simple 'push' on your mighty mouse brings up this....

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/Picture3.png

You can install all sorts of widgets- I'll bet there are some astronomy ones. I have; a weather chart, translator, currency convertor, calculator, calendar, film-reviews, google and much more on mine!

Thirdly... STACKS!

You can create a 'stack' which is a folder that you want quick access to.
A quick click on the stack in your dock and voila....
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/Picture2.png
Quick and easy access to your files! I use the applications folder but you can use any normal folder you want.

Has anyone told you how easy it is to install things? :unsure: You download your widget/program/whatever, and then double click the disk-image. This pops open (much like unzipping a file in windows) and then you can use the application from there, or drag it to the applications folder and... wow! It's installed!!!!

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 03:30 PM
This is all really very impressive

I am the most hopeless shopper in the world I am hardly a tough act to convince am I :lol: you must have seen me coming.

Now is there a way to easily suck all the stuff I have off my current laptop onto my new machine when he sells it to me :D

catrancher
17-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Now is there a way to easily suck all the stuff I have off my current laptop onto my new machine when he sells it to me :D

Yep! Right here! (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518)

Tom (:macwave:... endeavouring to serve)

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 03:49 PM
:thumbsup:

:excited:

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 03:54 PM
This is all really very impressive

I am the most hopeless shopper in the world I am hardly a tough act to convince am I :lol: you must have seen me coming.

Keith... when are you upgrading then?! :rotfl:

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 03:56 PM
P.S.... Dawn is going to puke when she sees this thread!

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 03:59 PM

er...... why??

keith
17-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Keith... when are you upgrading then?! :rotfl:

I have the apple store pages up in front of me now and drooling is occurring

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 04:05 PM

er...... why??
Have you not noticed her hatred of all things apple?! :unsure:

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I have the apple store pages up in front of me now and drooling is occurring
I bet you'll be in the apple store on Monday :yes:

keith
17-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I bet you'll be in the apple store on Monday :yes:

hmmmm Monday.. hmmm Trafford Centre... hmmm apple store... hmmmm

catrancher
17-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Have you not noticed her hatred of all things apple?! :unsure:

Hmmm... thought we mesmerized her with this post (http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124582&postcount=7).

Tom (:macwave:... once again, pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain)

Skywatcher
17-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Is it sad that I am actually excited :unsure:

Claire
17-04-2009, 09:58 PM
All this Mac chat. I can feel a trip to West Quay in my waters!

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 11:36 PM

Is it sad that I am actually excited :unsure:
NO. Do not for ONE second feel sad!!! Us mac geeks are the coolest geeks around :apple::macwave::geekon:

Tink
18-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Even we semi-geeks (geek wannabe? :unsure: ) are the coolest around! LOLOLOL.

PsychoAlice
18-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I dont know if anyone has told you this..and I havent read the 47 pages of this thread..but if you are getting a desktop..buy a new mouse and dont use the one it comes with..you will drive yourself batty with on one clicker instead of 2

(clicker? you know what i am talking about...right? I just lost geek points on that didnt i?)

Tink
18-04-2009, 12:42 PM
He's talking about a lappie. And I like the single click mouse. :D

PsychoAlice
18-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I want to throw my mothers out window when I am at her house...oye!

keith
18-04-2009, 12:45 PM
It used to drive me mad but the new ones on the laptops are truly great in fact, after using it, other mice seem old and slow.

You can right click on them now by just tapping the pad with two fingers instead of one and it's surprising how well it all works

PsychoAlice
18-04-2009, 12:56 PM
My mother has a new one...laptop and desktop

I still wanna throw her mouse out the window

No I am not bashing Mac's

Everything I learned about computers started with a Mac...I just prefer windows based platform..im not into photography or graphics or starting my own rock band so i really do not have a need for a Mac...

josh.p.
18-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I dont know if anyone has told you this..and I havent read the 47 pages of this thread..but if you are getting a desktop..buy a new mouse and dont use the one it comes with..you will drive yourself batty with on one clicker instead of 2

(clicker? you know what i am talking about...right? I just lost geek points on that didnt i?)
Seriously? you must be the only personw ho hates having one 'clicker' I really can't tell the difference, and whilst there is only one physical button... technically there are two!

Hex
18-04-2009, 02:23 PM
For us Sussex, UK members:

I was in the Churchill Square shopping centre in Brighton this morning, and I noticed that one of the shops that closed down recently has been boarded up for refitting and the boards are all painted black... with a large white Apple logo in the middle... looks like Apple may be commin' to town! :biggrin:

josh.p.
18-04-2009, 02:58 PM
For us Sussex, UK members:

I was in the Churchill Square shopping centre in Brighton this morning, and I noticed that one of the shops that closed down recently has been boarded up for refitting and the boards are all painted black... with a large white Apple logo in the middle... looks like Apple may be commin' to town! :biggrin:
YAY!!! One more town converted :P

Skywatcher
18-04-2009, 05:46 PM
:D well that will be useful if 'negotiations' break down ;) :lol:

Dawn
19-04-2009, 07:20 AM
:giveup:

keith
19-04-2009, 07:28 AM
:taunt:

josh.p.
19-04-2009, 09:33 AM
:giveup:

Okay... your iMac has been dispatched.... you should be recieving it in 2-3 business days :thumbsup: :point:

Tink
19-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Quick! Someone wave a Mac under Dawn's nose! She needs reviving! :yes: :D :D

catrancher
19-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Here ya go!

This will make Dawn feel all better! :laugh2:

<center><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0LuzAGwlbVk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0LuzAGwlbVk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></center>

Tom (:macwave:... :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:)

Tink
19-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I LOVE the Apple commercials! :lol:

Dawn
19-04-2009, 04:31 PM
:dozey:

Skywatcher
19-04-2009, 04:33 PM
muggle

:D

josh.p.
19-04-2009, 04:41 PM
muggle

:D
:rotfl:

Skywatcher
20-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Well I quizzed Dawn yesterday and she couldn't come up with any sort of coherent excuse other than she had trouble turning one on once :rolleyes:

:wink:

catrancher
20-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Well I quizzed Dawn yesterday and she couldn't come up with any sort of coherent excuse other than she had trouble turning one on once :rolleyes:

:wink:

I can understand that. That "ON" button can be sneaky at times! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... runs and hides)

josh.p.
20-04-2009, 06:31 PM
when I got my iMac it took me about a week to get used to the positioning of the power button!

Tink
20-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Yep! LOL! That gets everyone!! It's our evil way... when someone asks if they can use our Mac to check their email we smile and say sure...then start timing them.

One person actually found it!!! :lol: Most give up before 60 seconds and come back down admitting that they can't turn it on. :spring:

Evil, I tell you. We're evil.

Dawn
20-04-2009, 06:38 PM
:dozey:

Tink
20-04-2009, 06:39 PM
:D :D :D Hiya' Dawnie. :D :D :D

Skywatcher
20-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I would like to point out I have had to forcibly restrain myself from posting any coments regarding the above comments as I would have to ban myself - thank you

josh.p.
20-04-2009, 07:39 PM
The thing is I had drooled over them for so long I knew exactly where it was!

Tink
20-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Doc? :unsure: :confused:

Skywatcher
22-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Here's the Apple web page with all the particulars about switching (http://www.apple.com/uk/support/switch101/).

I have to say this is an excellent tutorial :yes:

catrancher
22-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I have to say this is an excellent tutorial :yes:

Glad you found it useful, Chris!

You might also be interested in their video tutorials. They can be found here (http://www.apple.com/uk/findouthow/mac/). :lovemyputer:

Tom (:macwave:... closer it came, step by step)

Skywatcher
22-04-2009, 10:51 AM
oh its very close now ;)

josh.p.
22-04-2009, 11:18 AM
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Skywatcher
22-04-2009, 12:44 PM
;) patience

josh.p.
22-04-2009, 01:44 PM
patience isn't in my vocab!

Skywatcher
22-04-2009, 01:50 PM
It will happen as soon as it is physically able to ' negotiations ' are going well ;)

luvthemansion
23-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Ive just been to pcworld to look at the macs and they look lush but theyd dead expensive :cry1:

Tink
23-04-2009, 02:53 PM
No argument there. Macs are costly machines. :yes:

josh.p.
23-04-2009, 05:10 PM
They are sooo worth it though! They have a much longer life than windows computers in general, and they also hold their value for much much longer!