PDA

View Full Version : So which one?

foreverducky
16-04-2009, 06:20 PM
So, I have sold my camera that my ex bought (just wanted it out of my house), even though it was a fabulous camera. And with that, I have decided to purchase an entry level dslr.

With my budget I am looking at these two.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1239904995&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000KJQ1DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1239905768&sr=1-1

So which would be better?

Britchick
16-04-2009, 06:25 PM
apart from the fact that i am a canon fan i would say the first one as it has an image stabilized kit lens. Not sure that the Nikon does

foreverducky
16-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I am also a Canon fan. Was looking for something with stabilization. :yes:

josh.p.
16-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I've only ever heard brill things about canon!

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Well, I'm definitely going with the Canon XS. Even found it $60 cheaper. :bouncing:

I'm so excited, this will be my first dslr. :bounce2:

josh.p.
17-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, I'm definitely going with the Canon XS. Even found it $60 cheaper. :bouncing:

I'm so excited, this will be my first dslr. :bounce2:

:thumbsup: WOO-HOOO! :awesome:

Look on;
www.retailmenot.com for any vouchers you can find too :thumbsup:

PsychoAlice
17-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Billie you are gonna love the Rebel...it is a great camera!

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Josh and PA, I am so thrilled!:excitedbed:

Britchick
17-04-2009, 06:10 PM
coolio!!!

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 08:09 PM
uh-oh...was doing some research and I kept reading about the dreaded error 99...anyone had problems like this with their canons. It seems that it's a problem with all their dslrs. :unsure:

Maybe I should look at the Nikon d60 once again. I don't want to spend all that money and have problems.

keith
17-04-2009, 08:17 PM
uh-oh...was doing some research and I kept reading about the dreaded error 99...anyone had problems like this with their canons. It seems that it's a problem with all their dslrs. :unsure:

Maybe I should look at the Nikon d60 once again. I don't want to spend all that money and have problems.

funnily, or not really :/, that is a classic canon error which indicates a lens communication failure talking to the camera. It DOES happen fairly frequently with canon and the usual fix is to switch off/on or at the extreme, turn off, remove lens, put it back on, turn on.

Occasionally it just doesnt go away and then you have to send it to canon to fix.

You'll now get a load of people saying they've never had it :lol: which is totally understandable. It seems to happen to most people after a certain amount of time and until then you only see it once in a blue moon. After a certain time, you keep seeing it and it gets more and more frequent.

It's across the range and I've even had it on top of the range 1ds bodies.

It's hard to advise because some people never seem to progress beyond the occasional err99 state whereas others get it on every body they ever buy.

You kinda have to remember that all makes have some problems and imagine how many posts you'd see if all the millions of canon owners had the error versus how many you actually see. It's common enough to be all over the net but not universal if that makes some sense :/

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 08:21 PM
So...hmmm. I'm still a little worried. What do you know about the D60 Keith?

keith
17-04-2009, 08:26 PM
So...hmmm. I'm still a little worried. What do you know about the D60 Keith?

I can't convince you to look at the D90 can I?

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 08:30 PM
A little out of my price range, that's why I'm checking out the D60. :D

keith
17-04-2009, 08:40 PM
A little out of my price range, that's why I'm checking out the D60. :D

ok sure right.......

The D60 is a really solidly built, unit. It's miles ahead of the D40/D40x in terms of dynamic range and right out of the camera the colours are really great. It's one of those cameras where you feel you really can just take a photo and immediately print it or put it on the web.

The 18-55 kit lens comes with VR which is Nikon's version of the Canon IS system and it's a better performing lens in my experience than the one that comes with the canon.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending it at all

The only thing I'd say is, please please try and visit a shop that has both a canon and a nikon. Any camera model really, just so you can hold each and try the menus out. See how they feel when you take a photo.

Some people really love the way one or the other works/feel

Finally, DW who has a canon 400d which I bought her a few years ago, says she has never had an err99 and loves the canons. so there we go, I can't win can I :lol:

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh sheesh...I've always been a canon girl. I just read that I would have to buy specific Nikon lens as there is no autofocus in the camera, but in the lens. So, lens would cost more.

keith
17-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh sheesh...I've always been a canon girl. I just read that I would have to buy specific Nikon lens as there is no autofocus in the camera, but in the lens. So, lens would cost more.

Well there are two places an autofocus motor can be. The OLD way was in the camera. The camera would turn the lens to focus but the new way, for all SLRs is for the autofocus motor to be built into the lenses.

All new canon lenses have the motor in the lens too so it's nothing to worry about it just means that you couldnt autofocus with a very old lens that didn't have a motor in it.

In other words, you wouldnt need to buy special lenses, all the new nikon lenses have their own motors

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 08:55 PM
That's good. I have been reading that the D40 is very similar to the D60, but slightly cheaper. With saving extra money I could get an additional lens, if I wanted.

keith
17-04-2009, 09:03 PM
That's good. I have been reading that the D40 is very similar to the D60, but slightly cheaper. With saving extra money I could get an additional lens, if I wanted.

yeah sure, well I think that's a good strategy to be honest. You'll be gaining more buying another lens than you'd be losing in terms of features

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Okay...so I'm going to go with the D40 after much hair pulling.

Sorry Britchick...I'm going to the other side and getting the Nikon instead. :D

Thanks for all the help guys! :yes:

keith
17-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Okay...so I'm going to go with the D40 after much hair pulling.

Sorry Britchick...I'm going to the other side and getting the Nikon instead. :D

Thanks for all the help guys! :yes:

same advice on lenses though whichever make you go for, the bargain lens is always the 50mm f1.8, the 85mm 1.8 better for portraits but you have to get a bit further back to get the frame (it provides a better more flattering portrait effect though)

foreverducky
17-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Good to know! :D

foreverducky
18-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh my goodness, I was able to find the 55-200mm lens with vibration reduction in a kit for basically $120!!! I am going to return the camera kit I ordered from Amazon, as it only came with the normal...I found another kit for $549 for the camera, the normal lens and the 55-200mm lens. :D What a deal!

keith
18-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Wow that DOES sound good :yes:

josh.p.
18-04-2009, 11:09 PM
:awesome: deal FD!

foreverducky
18-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys! It was too good to pass up. While I love Amazon, they didn't have this kind of deal. That lens is normally $230 or more and I will have paid the 120.

keith
18-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys! It was too good to pass up. While I love Amazon, they didn't have this kind of deal. That lens is normally $230 or more and I will have paid the 120.

yeah it's a useful lens, very handy range

Britchick
19-04-2009, 09:57 AM
you got a really good deal there FD, don't blame you one bit - i've taken almost 5000 pictures in less than a year and have never had the error thingie- i'm worried now coz it's almost out of warranty:unsure:

foreverducky
19-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought it was a really good deal too! It seems those errors start early, don't fret! I am impressed....5000 photos!

keith
19-04-2009, 12:21 PM
you got a really good deal there FD, don't blame you one bit - i've taken almost 5000 pictures in less than a year and have never had the error thingie- i'm worried now coz it's almost out of warranty:unsure:

Not *everyone* gets it Brit, most of us think that it's a manufacturing tolerances problem. In other words, the lenses get made to a certain standard allowing the contacts to be this far out but no further, the bodies get made the same way and most of the time that's ok but sometimes you get a body and a lens which are on the outside of the tolerances and the combination is flaky.

The build quality has definitely decreased over the years though.

disneymom
19-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Im confused which one did you get in the end ? I'm looking too :yes: I've heard that the Nikons have a much better flash system but may be more expensive

catrancher
19-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Congratulations FD! Wonderful deal!

Now, a recommendation and a caution.

First the recommendation. If you're looking for a book beyond the rather obtuse users manual that Nikon supplies, let me heartily recommend Thom Hogan's (http://www.bythom.com/d40guide.htm) book. Does a far better job of explaining all the bells and whistles than the standard owners manual does.

Second, a caution. Whenever you change lens on a DSLR, try to keep the lens opening on the body pointed down while you do it. And do it as quickly as you possibly can. This will help mitigate the possibility of dust, dirt or other foreign matter getting into the camera and onto the sensor. If the sensor gets dirty or scratched, it's an expensive and major undertaking to get it fixed. Has to go back to the manufacturer to do it. :thumbsdown: This is true for all brands. Just something to be aware of with a DSLR.

Tom (:macwave:... still mostly harmless)

foreverducky
19-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I got the Nikon D40 with 2 lenses. One lens is the standard and the extra lens was 55-200mm lens. :D

What I have found is that with some of the Nikon cameras you have to buy the lens with auto focus in the lens as the camera does not have motor inside of it. So when it comes to the lens you have purchase AF-S and AF-I lens (if you want autofocus). :D

I got such a deal and like I said I got spooked about the error 99 thing. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but I didn't want to take the chance. The problem of heuristics, huh. ;)

foreverducky
19-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks Tom! I ended up purchasing this book: Nikon D40/D40x Digital Field Guide. I figured that I would need more than just the manual. And thank you for telling me to point the camera down, I definitely will now that I have been informed. :yes: