PDA

View Full Version : Ta Da it is official!

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:15 PM
DD Alex has reached a milestone. She has made her decision. Some of you remember the college tours we were taking right after Easter. She toured Radford and really liked it. Since then she toured Longwood University in Farmville, VA.

We got there Friday evening. Got there in the late afternoon around 5 ish. Parked in front of the campus and went into Ruffner Hall. Beatifully restored building. Big rotunda with paintings, and the statue Joanie on the Stoney...Patron saint Joan of Arc on a rock. Legend has it if you rub her (well worn) hands you will be a part of the university. Alex rubbed them!:thumbsup:

Spring fest week was going on, lots of rock bands playing on the quad all weekend. Alex even heard of some of them Schwayze? Never heard of them. Had dinner at a tavern across from the Rotunda building. Saw a bunch of ten minute, student produced plays, walked around campus, then turned in. DD wasn't sold on it Friday.

Saturday morning is the orientation. Lots of families there. While milling about before entering the auditorium, the president of the college came over to talk with us, spent a lot of time with us. Nice lady. She went on the tour with art majors (photograhy) and fell in love with the place. I could see she made up her mind then and there. My daughter will be a Longwood Lancer!

Now I am starting to begin to realize that we (DW and I) will be empty nesters soon...:unsure:

walls closing in......hard....to....breathe.....room.......spinn ing.

Mari
22-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Well. congratulations on her choosing!!

I bet it will be hard to let her go though...

mumof2
22-04-2009, 06:20 PM
awww Dan, i know you're going to miss Alex so much but I'm pleased she was able made her decision easily. :hug2:

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I am glad...she was undeclared as to a major until she met the faculty of the art department. They spoke her language. They were great. Good thing is Longwood is only 3 hours away while Radford was more like 5 and a half hours away.

I am very pleased with her choice. Longwood was the one I was rooting for.

Tink
22-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I had leaky eyes by the end of your opening post. :hug2: Tough stuff, Da. :hug2:

What an incredible journey she is about to embark upon. All the very best to her! :pdust:

Johnie
22-04-2009, 06:29 PM
:hug2: to you dad. I feel your pain.

Congrats to Alex!! Awesome!!! Longwood is a very good school and she will be fine.

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I had leaky eyes by the end of your opening post. :hug2: Tough stuff, Da. :hug2:

What an incredible journey she is about to embark upon. All the very best to her! :pdust:
I know Tink, be careful of what you wish for!:sorry: We have been so busy with all the college selection preparation and information, that is seems like a lot of the stuff that was keeping my mind off the real outcome has been removed by her decision. I guess before when she had several options it was more vague and removed.. so, guess I will have to get used to it. I am so proud of her, and so happy for her future. Now we get to go shopping for dorm stuff! Oh joy, rapture.

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:33 PM
:hug2: to you dad. I feel your pain.

Congrats to Alex!! Awesome!!! Longwood is a very good school and she will be fine.

I know Johnie...reading your posts too has touched me too..when did our little girls grow up????

Johnie
22-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Very recently is seems :unsure:

Tink
22-04-2009, 06:35 PM
LOL! Do I detect just the teensiest bit of sarcasm there, 'Skip with regard to the fast approaching shopping expedition? :D

A toaster oven is more versatile than a microwave. :D However, the quickness of the microwave usually wins out over the toaster oven. You could, get stackers. :D :D

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Tink, there are a lot of restrictions to what they can bring. Some colleges worse than others. Guess it has to to with energy usage and fire prevention. I don't think toaster oven are allowed.

I was really referring to the drapes, carpet, bed spread shopping...errrr:surrender: Just going to hand over my Disney Visa Card...shop till you drop Alex!
BTW..thanks for the kind thoughts Tink!!!!

Rosie0610
22-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Congrat's to your DD!! How great that she had some really good options to choose from. Enjoy the time you have together throughout the summer!

We'll be here for you in the fall to keep you company... :hug2:

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks Rosie, I may need it. I will be a basket case in the fall.

What will be the worst is that the university doesn't want you to visit until parent's weekend...that will be a tough one. I know I will drive DW Sally crazy. Want to take a ride? Where? Oh, I don't know...we'll just sort of drive for three hours and see where we end up!

DW:nono:

Ok...email then

uscwest
22-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Huge congratulations to your DD 'skip. I know you and the Mrs. have to be relieved that she has made her decision. Hey, she could be all the way out west at USC. LOL

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:53 PM
You are right John! Have to count my blessings. Hey aren't we supposed to be enemies...I took some classes at Berkely.:taunt:

catrancher
22-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Now I am starting to begin to realize that we (DW and I) will be empty nesters soon...:unsure:

Oh... cool... Disney Cruise time! :mickeybounce:

Seriously, congratulations to all of you! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... I remember writing tuition checks!)

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 06:55 PM
She would KILL us if we went without her!!:yes:

Oh yeah, tuition....

walls.....closing....in......room.....spinning.... ....must....write.......checks:point:

catrancher
22-04-2009, 07:00 PM
She would KILL us if we went without her!!:yes:

Well... don't tell her.

Instead, tell her you were at the uhhh.... wait.... lemme think... oh yeah, the grocery store.

That's it; you were at the grocery store. :unsure:

For a week. :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... gotta be a way to make this work)

Watchinherskip
22-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Well... don't tell her.

Instead, tell her you were at the uhhh.... wait.... lemme think... oh yeah, the grocery store.

That's it; you were at the grocery store. :unsure:

For a week. :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... gotta be a way to make this work)
I like the way you think!!!!!!!:wave:

foreverducky
23-04-2009, 01:11 AM
That's exciting news Dan! You know, no matter how far she moves away or how old she gets, she'll always be your little girl. :hug2:

Two suggestions for dorm stuff.
1. The beds are usually those odd shaped twins, so check with the school on the size before you buy sheets.
2. A plastic small basket with different areas to put stuff is great for taking to the showers. They usually have them in loads of colors around the time they sell dorm stuff. They are lifesavers, as they will hold all need bathroom supplies. Just pick up and go.

Deb
23-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Dan, that's great news! It sounds like exactly the right place for her! Your pride for her shines through, and you sound like the kind of Dad we'd all like :hug2:

Now, about this empty nesting thing...this is an opportunity for you and DW too...a new chapter, even though you'll miss her like crazy :yes: Lots of opportunities for doing lovely new things!

Skywatcher
23-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Sorry I missed this Dan. Congratulations to you all my friend, intersting but wonderful times await you all I'm sure.

uscwest
23-04-2009, 11:33 AM
You are right John! Have to count my blessings. Hey aren't we supposed to be enemies...I took some classes at Berkely.:taunt:
Nah, now if you went to UCLA, we might have a problem. :taunt:

MystikPiglit
23-04-2009, 01:08 PM
walls closing in......hard....to....breathe.....room.......spinn ing.

Awww, bless you. :hug2:
You'll have to do something to take your mind off it in the early days. Like planning trips to WDW. :D
I hope she has an enjoyable and successful time. :thumbsup:

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 03:23 PM
That's exciting news Dan! You know, no matter how far she moves away or how old she gets, she'll always be your little girl. :hug2:

Two suggestions for dorm stuff.
1. The beds are usually those odd shaped twins, so check with the school on the size before you buy sheets.
2. A plastic small basket with different areas to put stuff is great for taking to the showers. They usually have them in loads of colors around the time they sell dorm stuff. They are lifesavers, as they will hold all need bathroom supplies. Just pick up and go.

Gosh thanks Billie, she sure will be my little girl, same girl in my mind's eye that my screen name captures. Great ideas there Billie, I know you know all about that dorm living. Been a long time since I had to deal with the dorms. I think dinosaurs ruled the earth then. Longwood is all suite dorms, bathroom adjoins her room, she will have to share it with 3 other girls. DW had a little bucket back in the day. We went to the same college.

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Dan, that's great news! It sounds like exactly the right place for her! Your pride for her shines through, and you sound like the kind of Dad we'd all like :hug2:

Now, about this empty nesting thing...this is an opportunity for you and DW too...a new chapter, even though you'll miss her like crazy :yes: Lots of opportunities for doing lovely new things!

Thank you so much Deb.:hug2: She is a really good kid for sure. And I will miss her terribly, but heck only a few hours away and you are so right about some opportunites to take with DW and I. :yes: Not sure if I am brave enough to take any Disney trips without her though:tongue: that would break her heart.

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Aw Chris, thanks mate, time flies my friend. Enjoy them while you can. Before you know it....they are off on their own.

Diane, Thank you too. There will be a new chapter to be written. If I seem sullen it is because it is just dawning on me. I wouldn't have it any other way. :yes:

Johnie
23-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Thank you so much Deb.:hug2: She is a really good kid for sure. And I will miss her terribly, but heck only a few hours away and you are so right about some opportunites to take with DW and I. :yes: Not sure if I am brave enough to take any Disney trips without her though:tongue: that would break her heart.

Alysia is going to be heartbroken. We're going in Aug and Oct without her. She didn't want to miss the first week of school so we may change the Aug dates to accomodate that. However, Oct is always midterms so a no go for her then too. I told her being an adult isn't all it's cracked up to be :thumbsdown:

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I know Johnie, I think we could go anywhere but Disney without her. She is as big a Disney Freak as I am. How many teens have like every Disney song on her Ipod and plays them more than any other music?

I guess maybe next Thanksgiving we may go with her. Have to see how much we have earned on our Disney Visa.:yes:

Alysia seems to be cut from the same cloth. Our visits to WDW are woven into the fabric of our family.

lisaw
23-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Glad Alex has chosen Dan - sounds like she has made an excellent choice :yes:

MystikPiglit
23-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I know Johnie, I think we could go anywhere but Disney without her. She is as big a Disney Freak as I am. How many teens have like every Disney song on her Ipod and plays them more than any other music? .

In that case, if she joins us here you can 'see' her every day. :thumbsup:

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 04:36 PM
For sure, she is pshyched! Being an art major, they are required to get a mac book. She is very thrilled with the built in camera and all. She claims that way we can use the cams to see each other. Isn't technology cool?:wiggle:

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Glad Alex has chosen Dan - sounds like she has made an excellent choice :yes:

Thanks Lisa, we like to think so. If any of you want to see a very progressive university, check it out:
www.longwood.edu (http://www.longwood.edu)

They have a lot of little movies made by the students showing life at the school. :thumbsup:

MystikPiglit
23-04-2009, 04:57 PM
She claims that way we can use the cams to see each other. Isn't technology cool?:wiggle:

:thumbsup: That will be reassuring for you. :hug2:

Hey, I know what could keep you busy.... gathering tips for my 2011/12 trip to VA. :D

Tink
23-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Nice website, 'Skip. :yes: Thanks for sharing it. The students there seem to be very passionate, and isn't that just great!? :yes:

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Hey, I know what could keep you busy.... gathering tips for my 2011/12 trip to VA. :D

Of course Diane, I would love to help you plan. One bit of advice...use our state park system whenever and wherever you can. They are first class.

Watchinherskip
23-04-2009, 05:44 PM
It is a cool website. Nothing boring or stodgy about it. This university has received a lot of accolades for the way they go about educating the kids. Thanks for looking at the site there Tink.:thumbsup:

MystikPiglit
24-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Of course Diane, I would love to help you plan. One bit of advice...use our state park system whenever and wherever you can. They are first class.

My first tip, thank you. I'll save that for next year's planner. :thumbsup:

uscwest
24-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Diane, Virginia is a beautiful state with a LOT of history. Did you know that 8 US Presidents were born in Virginia. George Washington's home, Mount Vernon is just a few miles from where we live here in Northern Virginia. And of course we are also just a few miles from Washington D.C. How long will you be here? 'Cause there is LOTS to do and see.

MystikPiglit
26-04-2009, 02:49 PM
How long will you be here? 'Cause there is LOTS to do and see.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: Hopefully it will be for 2 weeks, but we won't know for sure until next year.

Watchinherskip
27-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Well Diane, I would love to show you around Norfolk...not yours but ours..hehe.:tongue:

MystikPiglit
27-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Well Diane, I would love to show you around Norfolk...not yours but ours..hehe.:tongue:

:lol:

That's a deal. :wave:

Johnie
27-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Diane, Virginia is a beautiful state with a LOT of history. Did you know that 8 US Presidents were born in Virginia. George Washington's home, Mount Vernon is just a few miles from where we live here in Northern Virginia. And of course we are also just a few miles from Washington D.C. How long will you be here? 'Cause there is LOTS to do and see.

I knew that! :tongue: I had to do a yearlong project on Virginia in the 4th grade.

ukwdwnut
27-04-2009, 06:16 PM
awwww man :hug2: to you and your lady wife dan. i know how you feel my dd left home for her 1st job when she was 18, 200mls away she came back 4 yrs later all grown up

Watchinherskip
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
For sure Mick. Thought about it yesterday. I was setting up our orientation date and looking through the correspondence from Longwood. Low and behold it mentioned the New Lancer Days - Aug 20 - 23 at the college. They have a lot for the new students to do to get ready for the new year. And I see it there in black and white.

Students living on even floors - drop off from 9 AM to 12 PM
Students living on odd floors - drop off from 1 PM to 4 PM

And I found myself getting sort of blubbery, hoping she is on an odd floor to get a few more hours with her.

I guess they have some sort of send off for the parents. The kids gather en masse and have some sort of goodbye session with all the parents.

Man I have to keep it together. I don't want her to be uspset. Anyhow we have until August.:sorry:

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
its hard isnt it dan, got it all over again as mikey is off to uni in sept, but its different this time as im not at home

Watchinherskip
06-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I snapped a picture of her beside "Joanie on the Pony". St. Joan of Arc is the patron saint of Longwood University. There are two statues of her on campus. The other one is called "Joanie on the Stoney". The latter is in the rotunda of Ruffner Hall. This one used to be in the hall but was placed in the walkway collumnade after Ruffner Hall nearly burned to the ground in 2003 (occured during renovations). It is totally restored now and is quite an impressive building.

DD is excited but doesn't want to think about next term too much. She doesn't want to wish her life away and wants to take in every minute of her senior year and summers. She has a great head on her shoulder....must take after her mom.:point:

Taja
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Congratulations to Alex!

And don't think of it as an empty nest--just an underutilized one for the next three or four years! ;)

A thought for dorm shopping: If Alex will be sharing a bedroom, allocate the money for the spread and drapes, but don't buy in advance. When she meets her roommate, they can dicuss their thoughts and budgets and buy coordinating items. Possibly. It really depends.

Kristin attended a boarding school for high school and took everything with her, but when she attended university she purchased sheets (2 sets) in advance but waited to buy the spread until she met her roommates. Yeah. Plural--three of them in one room. It was an old building, a bit austere, no suites. They decided on neutral quilts/bedspreads with punches of their favourite colours for accessories. It worked well. :)

And the beds were extra-long twins. Not sure if they still use those--she graduated about 12 years ago.

Watchinherskip
06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Great advice Taja! I will leave all the decorating to DW and DD, I am just the beast of burden!:yes:

The school sent under a separate mailing a supplier of dorm linens to purchase...they look nice with school colors and all, but pricey. I think Alex with get her assignment in July. That will give her time to shop and plan with her new roomie.

One cool thing they do now is to loft the beds. Think of it as a bunk bed without the bottom bed, you can put your desk in there and open up the room a bit.

Deb
06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Dan, that photo of DD with Joanie is lovely. Alex is so pretty :yes:

Every time you talk about her going away I just want to give you a big hug! :hug2:

Watchinherskip
06-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Dan, that photo of DD with Joanie is lovely. Alex is so pretty :yes:

Every time you talk about her going away I just want to give you a big hug! :hug2:

Thanks, know what? Just about everytime I think about it, I could use a hug.:unsure:

foreverducky
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Dan :hug2: When my dad dropped me off at college (my very first semester, so many years ago)....he cried. It's hard seeing a tough Marine cry.

Watchinherskip
06-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh boy I am in trouble aren't I Billie, not a Marine and don't even play one on TV.

foreverducky
06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Yep, just accept it now. :D