PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

Dawn
27-04-2009, 05:09 PM
The European Union's health commissioner Andorra Vassiliou met EU foreign ministers on the subject and advised people to reassess their travel plans.

"They should avoid travelling to Mexico or the United States of America unless it is very urgent for them," she said.

I don't remember being told to over-panic in my work briefing. :mental:

Britchick
27-04-2009, 05:18 PM
what did i predict :unsure: i've only got 10 weeks to go

where is helly going :mental:

Disneybumble
27-04-2009, 05:18 PM
:jawdrop:
What are we NOT being told.

Mari
27-04-2009, 05:24 PM
The thing is.. NO ONE knows who serious it is, and how serious it could get... so they are trying to contain it...

I dont see how they can do that though..... at least here, people are still going to work, stuck in closed spaces the whole day with air conditioning, and traveling in crowded public transportation... stupid if you ask me

Dawn
27-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Barbados.

Apparently there's confirmed cases in Spain now

Britchick
27-04-2009, 05:25 PM
we have 2 confirmed cases in Scotland and 25 cases being investigated at the moment.

josh.p.
27-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Brit, it's okay, disney IS classed as urgent ;)

Dawn
27-04-2009, 05:34 PM
But avoid the Mexico pavilion. :D

Ursula
27-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Lol@Dawn.

I not going to Mexico.... Don't think Barbados has been affected yet? Not going to panic yet :(

Johnie
27-04-2009, 05:52 PM
This is the info I received this morning...seriously

There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy.

· Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.

· If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.

· Put your used tissue in the wastebasket.

· Clean your hands after coughing or sneezing.

· Wash with soap and water or clean with alcohol-based hand cleaner. When soap and water are not available, alcohol-based disposable hand wipes or gel sanitizers may be used. You can find them in most supermarkets and drugstores. If using gel, rub your hands until the gel is dry. The gel doesn't need water to work; the alcohol in it kills the germs on your hands.

foreverducky
27-04-2009, 06:36 PM
These kinds of things always freak me out and bring out my OCD even worse. :sigh:

mumof2
27-04-2009, 07:31 PM
ok so i saw on the news confirmed cases in Scotland and Spain, and suspected cases in France - it's getting close.

josh.p.
27-04-2009, 08:49 PM
:( I really do hope college isn't cancelled. Exams are looming!

kazzaqld
27-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Possible cases in Queensland! :unsure: And we are going INTO winter not out of it.

I usually get whatever's going around at this time of year - I had to cancel going to parent-teacher night last because I was ill. :unsure:

Not panicking yet - but a little concerned shall we say. :sorry:

Tink
27-04-2009, 09:27 PM
We are having flu problems in the US? (She asks sheepishly... I guess I'd better lift my head up once in awhile. I knew about Mexico...

foreverducky
27-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes Tink Yes :mental:

I may go hide under rock until its' over.

Tink
27-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Oh geez. :( Is it as bad as Mexico? :eek: I'm headed into a community tomorrow! I surely don't want to walk right into the thick of things. :sorry:

Can't imagine having the flu while being stuck in a hotel room, alone. :(

(Which by the way this is a fabulous suite! :yes: Directly on the intercoastal with the ocean view just beyond). I am just agog at the incredible yachts and boats on the intercoastal. :yes:

foreverducky
27-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Just read a news article that says there are 42 reported cases in the US.

foreverducky
27-04-2009, 11:34 PM
There are cases in Ohio, Kansas, Texas, NY, and CA

Tink
28-04-2009, 12:11 AM
:( :( :(
Scary stuff. :( 1918 scary. :(

Mari
28-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Extremelly scary....

apparently its the first time the pig virus has mutated and been able to be passed to humans...

whats ever more scary.. people who usually dont get sick from regular flue are the ones whoe are getting the sickest... men in the 20-40 age group ...

Tink
28-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Oh geez, don't tell me that! I *never* get sick. :eek: :mental:

I did finally see a news report on the "epidemic" here in this country. NY, and CA, along with TX and a couple of other states are the ones most affected with it right now. :sigh:

Dawn
28-04-2009, 07:03 AM
So...

Why are we panicking so much about this flu outbreak?

Is it just another flu epidemic where the vulnerable groups are most at risk?

Or is it a particularly virulent strain that puts the "healthy adult" group at risk too?

The Foreign Office is advising only essential travel to Mexico now.

Skywatcher
28-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Please try and keep calm people

ieuanr
28-04-2009, 10:11 AM
The infected people in Scotland are reported to be recovering. It appears that people outside Mexico are not developing life threatening symptoms.

Some experts on the radio predict it will burn itself out in a few weeks.

Nothing to panic over.

Skywatcher
28-04-2009, 10:21 AM
indeed there is evidence that the virus is attenuating - I reallly REALLY wish there was more sensible control over the media

Tink
28-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Doc and Ieuan. It's good to know that some of what we are hearing on the news is sensationalized.

So, in rational terms, is this something more virulent, or is it a flu outbreak similar to other years when loads of people got the flu (and survived). :unsure:

Skywatcher
28-04-2009, 11:18 AM
What people forget time and time again is that newspapers are there to sell newspapers and newsagencies are there to get people to watch them - they are NOT there for the benefit of mankind.

So far the 2 people in this country have a mild case of flu and that is all -

a few years back we were all going to die from avian flu

Then SARS

before that it was BSE.

I am awaiting my first

I just opened a packet of doritos and now my nose is running ...

Tink
28-04-2009, 11:28 AM
So, let me see if I have this right Doc. You eat Doritos for lunch? :nono: You know better than that! Where's the protien? Where are the complex carbs from leafy greens? Doritos are nasty chemically laden icky things.

Now, if they'd have been Fritos... :D :D

Skywatcher
28-04-2009, 12:35 PM
:lol: no I meant one of my patients coming in and wondering idf they can catch Mexican pig flu from eating doritos :D

Slowhand
28-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I wonder if DCL will take Cozumel out of the itinerary for our cruise in a few weeks time? :unsure:

Dawn
28-04-2009, 03:26 PM
It will just anchor out at sea and hand out binoculars. :D

MystikPiglit
28-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Why are we panicking so much about this flu outbreak?

That's what I was wondering. Haven't less people died than from a normal flu outbreak?:unsure:

I am awaiting my first

I just opened a packet of doritos and now my nose is running ...

:laugh:

I know people like that. Poor doctors.......

mumof2
28-04-2009, 05:58 PM
can we get it from Frazzles as well Doc? :unsure:

seriously though, i hear there are maybe 9 suspected cases in Winchester - i now it's not like next door but i do have cause for concern regarding my Mum who has a variety of breathing/lung conditions......

AND she seems to have a cold at the moment which strangely she doesn't usually get - no she doesn't do it by halves my Mum, it's normally straight onto the the pnuemonia...tut!

Mari
28-04-2009, 07:04 PM
:lol: no I meant one of my patients coming in and wondering idf they can catch Mexican pig flu from eating doritos :D

as an expert on the subject I would have to say it depends on the type of doritos... Diablo doritos seem to bring on flue symptoms after ingesting 2 while regular doritos seeem to not provoke any
symptoms if the bag is shared

foreverducky
28-04-2009, 07:20 PM
There is now a case in Indiana. :mental:

I want to head for the hills. Please tell me when it's all over. :hide:
Maybe I'll be safe if I just stay in here ---> :chores026:

PsychoAlice
28-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey all, this came direct to me today from a relative who is a scientist with Monsanto in St. Louis.

Human Swine Influenza Health Alert

April 26, 2009 6pm

What is going on?

Human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in the U.S. in San Diego County and Imperial County, California as well as in San Antonio, Texas. Internationally, human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have been identified in Mexico.

International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
See: World Health Organization

As of April 26th, 2009 4:00 p.m. ET

Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the infection and whether additional people have been infected with similar swine influenza viruses.

Monsanto Disaster Preparedness Team is working closely with the Monsanto leadership as well as Mexico and US sites . They are also following developments provided by the CDC and WHO findings and recommendations.

What can be done?

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people. There are many things you can to do preventing getting and spreading influenza:

There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.

Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
If you get sick, CDC and Monsanto recommend that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

General Swine Influenza Information

Review this carefully, updates will be provided as necessary. If you have questions after reading this please contact your health care provider. Monsanto has also established a hot line to help you obtain Monsanto specific messages regarding Swine flu and work

1-800- 325-1110 or 1-314-694-2341

Or the number established in your country for this purpose

How do you know you have swine Flu?

Clinically you can only diagnose influenza but not which specific influenza you could have. The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. In the past, severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal flu, swine flu may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

Is this disease transmitted from person to person?

Based on recent CDC and WHO data is appears to be transmitted from person to person. Through contact with a person with swine flu. Human-to-human spread of swine flu has been documented also and is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu. Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.

How long can an infected person spread swine flu to others?
People with swine influenza virus infection should be considered potentially contagious as long as they are symptomatic and possible for up to 7 days following illness onset. Children, especially younger children, might potentially be contagious for longer periods.

It is Monsanto’s strong advice to stay home if you have influenza. Communicate with your supervisor via telephone to provide needed information

What can I do to protect myself from getting sick?
There is no vaccine available right now to protect against swine flu. There are everyday actions that can help prevent the spread of germs that cause respiratory illnesses like influenza. Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are
also effective.
If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

What should I do if I get sick?
If you live in an area where cases of Swine Flu have been reported (example Mexico City, San Diego County or Imperial County California or Guadalupe County, Texas, ) and become ill with influenza-like symptoms, including fever, body aches, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, or vomiting or diarrhea, you may want to contact your health care provider, particularly if you are worried about your symptoms. Your health care provider will determine whether influenza testing or treatment is needed.

If you are sick, you should stay home and avoid contact with other people as much as possible to keep from spreading your illness to others.

If you become ill and experience any of the following warning signs, seek emergency medical care.

In children emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

· Fast breathing or trouble breathing

· Bluish skin color

· Not drinking enough fluids

· Not waking up or not interacting

· Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held

· Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

· Fever with a rash

In adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

· Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath

· Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen

· Sudden dizziness

· Confusion

· Severe or persistent vomiting

Is the virus responsive to treatment?

Initial reliable data shows that the virus responds to treatment with oseltamivir and zanamivir. It is resistant to amantadines. If you develop symptoms it is important to contact your health care provided as soon as you can.

What should I do if coming back from a country where cases of swine flu have been detected?

Travelers from other world areas preparing to leave locations where swine flu is a problem, such as Mexico City, should evaluate their time in the country to determine the possibility of contracting the flu and whether they are symptomatic at this time. If feeling ill, please contact your health care provider as soon as possible, do not return to work for at least seven days, and please get clearance from ESH before doing so. If not symptomatic, please return to your home but remain away from the workplace for seven days to determine if you may have been exposed to the flu.

Can I get swine influenza from eating or preparing pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not spread by food. You cannot get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork products is safe.

·Links to non-federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organizations or their programs by CDC or the federal government, and none should be inferred. CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organization Web pages found at these links.

Other sources of Information

Swine Flu and You
What is swine flu? Are there human infections with swine flu in the U.S.? …

Swine Flu Video Podcast
Dr. Joe Bresee, with the CDC Influenza Division, describes swine flu - its signs and symptoms, how it's transmitted, medicines to treat it, steps people can take to protect themselves from it, and what people should do if they become ill.

Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu)
How does swine flu spread? Can people catch swine flu from eating pork? …

Swine Influenza in Pigs and People
Brochure

Information in Spanish
Datos importantes sobre la influenza porcina…

Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Biosafety Guidelines for Laboratory Workers Apr 24, 2009
This guidance is for laboratory workers who may be processing or performing diagnostic testing on clinical specimens from patients with suspected swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection, or performing viral isolation.

Interim Guidance for Infection Control for Care of Patients with Confirmed or Suspected Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection in a Healthcare Setting Apr 24, 2009

Interim Guidance on Case Definitions for Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Human Case Investigations Apr 24, 2009
This document provides interim guidance for state and local health departments conducting investigations of human cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus. The following case definitions are for the purpose of investigations of suspected, probable, and confirmed cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection.

Travel Notices

Outbreak Notice: Swine Influenza in the United States
April 25, 2009 12 p.m. ET

Travel Health Precaution: Swine Influenza and Severe Cases of Respiratory Illness in Mexico
April 25, 2009 12 p.m. ET

Transcripts

Unedited Transcript of CDC Briefing on Public Health Investigation of Human Cases of Swine Influenza
April 24, 2009 2:30 p.m. ET

CDC Briefing on Public Health Investigation of Human Cases of Swine Influenza
April 23, 2009 press briefing…

Reports & Publications

Update: Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Infections --- California and Texas, April 2009
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) April 24, 2009 / Vol. 58 / Dispatch;1-3

Swine Influenza A (H1N1) Infection in Two Children – Southern California, March—April 2009
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) April 21, 2009 / Vol. 58 / Dispatch

Related Links

WHO - Influenza-Like Illness in the United States and Mexico

Past Updates

Tink
29-04-2009, 01:41 AM
OK Doc. You're off the hook for eating a lunch of Doritos. :yes: Miss Mari, you'll stop with those icky things now too please. :nono: :D

Never did like Doritos. Now that I know they cause flu, I feel a strange sense of justice. :laugh: Ahem.

Dawn
29-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Can I watch Speedy Gonzalez cartoons? :unsure:

Fed up with the over reaction now - The Sun says 40% of us are doomed to get swine flu. :slap:

Skywatcher
29-04-2009, 07:05 AM
:rolleyes:

I know yet how many millions have AIDS and Malaria?

it is serious but it is being dealt with properly by the authorities - there have been no deaths outside of Mexico so far, the media really needs a :slap:

mumof2
29-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Can I watch Speedy Gonzalez cartoons? :unsure:

Fed up with the over reaction now - The Sun says 40% of us are doomed to get swine flu. :slap:

DOOMED.....? :shocked:

Tink
29-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Please, please don't get me started on AIDS, ok? It won't be pretty and it could go on for ages. :(

We need to keep our own sens of judgment intact and not be lead like herds of cattle (or swine?) by the media which really does not have the best interest of the public at heart. (Or in mind).

foreverducky
29-04-2009, 11:18 AM
We now have a death in the US. A child who was from Texas and 23 months old. Just read it on the news. :(

mumof2
29-04-2009, 11:23 AM
We now have a death in the US. A child who was from Texas and 23 months old. Just read it on the news. :(

oh no :(

Wendy
29-04-2009, 12:14 PM
It seems to be the usual press over reaction :rolleyes008:

It's all over the local radio that a girl in Paignton has a mild case and they have closed the whole school down for a week. I feel like ringing them up and telling them to stop trying to make people panic. With a Bank Holiday weekend coming up that's all the area needs, people will be cancelling their trips :sigh:

I wonder how much the government are wasting buying all these masks, there are much better things they could spend the tax payer's money in :rolleyes008:

PsychoAlice
29-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Fantastic...everyone can cancel their trips...except me...Savannah and I will have the parks to ourselves...

Johnie
29-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh honey, I will be there too! I'm not scared of this. Really...unless you have a compromised immune system and you take normal safety measures, you should be fine.

Doomed? Oh good grief, are they trying to create pandemonium? :nono:

disneymom
29-04-2009, 01:34 PM
;)

MystikPiglit
29-04-2009, 01:57 PM
What can be done?

You better not go to work, Doc. :wink:

Oh my goodness, disneymom! :lol:

Skywatcher
29-04-2009, 02:42 PM
You better not go to work, Doc. :wink:

When we do get an epidemic , and I mean when cos it will happen one day then I do fear for my family as we will all be expected to turn up for work

MystikPiglit
29-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I do fear for my family as we will all be expected to turn up for work

:hug2:At least you will know how to be best prepared.