PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Wall-E

Dawn
07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
This appears to have passed me by completely.
:oops:

What is it?

And would it be ok for Steven?

ieuanr
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi Dawn

Well we seem to have been waiting for this movie for ages. The were cardboard models of Wall-E in the cinema when we went to Florida at the start of the year. My six year has been nagging me ever since.

It opens 18th July I believe. It looks suitable for a five year old although it does involve mushy issues like robots falling in love.

Dawn
07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh god! Well as long as there's no robot snogging I might take him.

That's one day of the summer break taken care of then. 5 weeks and 6 days left to sort.

Beccaberry
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I took Baleigh and the Grandparents to see this last night...Andrew opted to go see Hancock with Will Smith instead (go figure).

It was a good movie. Baleigh really enjoyed Wall E and the other robots and their were some *really* humourous and touching moments.

Having said that, I'd have to say that in my opinion, Steven might well get bored. I saw several younger 'lets in the theatre (ages 3-6) who seemed to get quite restless during the "bulk" of the show. I think that the lack of actual conversation (meaning human interaction; actual spoken word) can be a challenge for younger children to grasp. The beeps, body language and inuendo is brilliant but I think it may sort of be lost on a younger audience.

Fortunately, near the end, it has some really great action scenes and the human involvement picks up, so it ends on a great note...for any age; but I still think it's more geared for children a bit older, say 7 and up and adults.

I will say that I think it can certainly be a "teachable moment" movie. There are loads of great "green" ideologies...about caring for the Earth and caring for ourselves; so I can't say that I'd rule out taking Steven altogether....I'd probably just make sure I had lots of popcorn to occupy him in the beginning of the show....and be sure to throw out your garbage afterwards :wink:

Tink
07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
I've not seen it yet, but do want to! A young woman that I was training (she's from Newcastle by the way!) has just been and she loved it.

I do think though, that becca has it hit on the head. My trainee said that it was rather adult (in that it might be over younger children's heads in many parts) which is why she liked it.

On the other hand, Steven has always been advanced for his age, so he'll most likely be fine!

Dawn
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Hmmm, he's not really one for sitting still if it won't hold his attention.

Figment
07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
We loved this movie...it is rather depressing though for adults...that seems to go over the heads of the kids though. Jordan wasn't bothered much (he's 11 now)

There was a very small boy sitting behind us and it was his first trip to the theatre ever. (Mom and Dad were both making a huge fuss, taking pictures, telling him what to expect, etc.) I think he was easily 5 or less and he was an angel....never made any fuss at all. His mom said he loved robots.

luvthemouse
07-10-2008, 12:53 AM
I have to say that Jackson LOVED the movie!! Honestly, he was never bored once. I really is a great movie. Chris is already checking out the toys...for Jack's birthday, or Christmas, so he claims...I *know* he's just checking them out for himself..lol

BevW
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
The DGDs and I just got back from seeing this! And they LOVED it! Caitie (6) and Brianna (4) laughed and laughed. Before the movie was even over Bria taps me on the shoulder and says "NANA when the movie is over can we buy it!"

Dawn
07-10-2008, 05:56 AM
OK Daddy got some free cinema tickets so Wall-E it is. :D

Tink
07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
OOOOH! That is the BEST way to see a film! Free!!! :9: Let us know how the boy likes it! :yes:

Beccaberry
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Free is ALWAYS good...Enjoy the movie!!!

Dawn
07-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Of course I'll have to pay out for Kung Fu Panda now. :(

Stupid school holidays and all their movie releases.

Tink
07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, but at least you don't have to purchase tickets for both shows. :yes:

Beccaberry
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
If I were you, I'd consider Kung Fu Panda the freebie and pay for Wall-E...symantics I know, but at least you can hang on to your dignity.

Dawn
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
:laugh:

Adrian says Wall-E is the freebie and as the freebie tickets are his...
I'll just get extra large popcorn to get me through. :D

Johnie
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
If I were you, I'd consider Kung Fu Panda the freebie and pay for Wall-E...symantics I know, but at least you can hang on to your dignity.

You didn't like Kung Fu Panda? Dana and Andrew raved about it. I went to see Hancock instead :lol: should have left during the middle.

Beccaberry
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
You didn't like Kung Fu Panda? Dana and Andrew raved about it. I went to see Hancock instead :lol: should have left during the middle.

Andrew concurs w/ your review of Hancock.

Kung Fu Panda had some funny parts. Dustin Hoffman's character Shifu was fantastic; and it had a great "message"...in fact my dad preached on it the next day in church which was great....

Johnie
07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Glad to know I am not alone in my thinking :p

hayleyneeyore
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE SO BAD!!

luvthemouse
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
There is something about the was Wall-E looks that reminds me of Johnny 5...anybody remember Short Circuit?

Johnie
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
:lol: i said the same thing!!

luvthemouse
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
It's got to be the eyes...

Beccaberry
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Does he remind anyone else of the Short Circuit Robot from the 80's movie?