PDA

View Full Version : Over-ripe bananas...yuk

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know how to stop bananas from ripening too quickly? :unsure:
I only bought some on Tuesday and they're too ripe already. :sigh:

Johnie
01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I wish I knew. I buy them green and then they are practically rotten the next day.

lisaw
01-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Darkish cupboard away from other fruit/veg, I hate over ripe bananas!

Skywatcher
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Bananas even the smell of them make me gag they are the one thing I won't eat.

I suppose your only other option is to use a straw though :shrug:

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Darkish cupboard away from other fruit/veg, I hate over ripe bananas!

They are in a dark cupboard, but maybe too close to the veg... :unsure:

I suppose your only other option is to use a straw though :shrug:

:lol:

I'll have to make banana bread with them.... delicious, but doesn't help the diet! :rolleyes:

lisaw
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
They are in a dark cupboard, but maybe too close to the veg... :unsure:

:lol:

I'll have to make banana bread with them.... delicious, but doesn't help the diet! :rolleyes:

Other fruit/veg oxidises (or some other technical term :lol:) the bananas and ripens them. :yes:

You can send the banana bread this way if you don't want to eat it :lol:

mumof2
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
well i'd like to know how to stop them from turning black before i've even got them home from the shops! :thumbsdown:

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Other fruit/veg oxidises (or some other technical term :lol:) the bananas and ripens them. :yes:

I thought they were far enough away... I'll try a completely different cupboard and see if that works. :unsure:

You can send the banana bread this way if you don't want to eat it :lol:

Oh I want to eat it... that's the problem. :lol:

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
well i'd like to know how to stop them from turning black before i've even got them home from the shops! :thumbsdown:

Drive faster! :lol:

Dizneyblonde
01-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm with the doc on this one.

Can't stand bananas.The texture,taste, everything!

I wouldn't know the difference between an under and over ripe one as i avoid buying them!

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I love them, when they are exactly right... just left under-ripe and not soft... about 5 minutes in a bananas life. :lol:

Dawn
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Mmmmmmmmm, banana bread. :drool:

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Just popped it in the oven. :D

Johnie
01-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I love bananas the best when the skin is still green and they are firm and cold.

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I love bananas the best when the skin is still green and they are firm and cold.

I buy them like that if I go to the store, but unfortunately when they come in a delivery you don't get to choose. Still, the banana bread is smelling good now. :D

Isafari
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
We had some ripe bananas at school this morning and realised we weren't going to sell them before the school closed for a long weekend so we made Banoffee muffins.....they went like a shot :yes:

MystikPiglit
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
we made Banoffee muffins.....they went like a shot :yes:

Sounds lovely. Recipe please? :D

Figment
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I read some where not too long ago, that you should separate the bananas from each other to help them last longer.

PsychoAlice
02-05-2009, 02:32 AM
I want a banana and one of those crossaint breakfast sandwiches at WDW now...thanks..

Mari
02-05-2009, 03:41 AM
yuck!
I hate over ripped bananas

I buy only 3 or 4 at a time and put them in the fridge.....

PsychoAlice
02-05-2009, 03:59 AM
The fridge makes them rippen (ripen?) faster

Ursula
02-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Ooh I love them as they are going mushy... full of flavour that way. Hate them when they are hard like bliddy bullets and tasteless. Holds out basket for all ripe bananas pleasy.

Kate
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
If you put them near oranges you can practically see them ripen - bleurgh!
Dont buy them very often anymore, fed up of throwing them away, and theres only so much banana custard you can eat!

ukwdwnut
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know how to stop bananas from ripening too quickly? :unsure:
I only bought some on Tuesday and they're too ripe already. :sigh:

ermmm eat them quicker...i know :slap:

Dawn
02-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Done a bit of research on this :geekon: and apparently the way to slow down the ripening process is to hang your bananas so they get lots of air around them.

Apples are the worst things for speeding up ripening.

Separate bananas ripen faster than bananas in a bunch.

So one of those banana hanging doohickeys seems the answer. Or get MrPiglet to screw a hook into the wall somewhere.

MystikPiglit
04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Ooh I love them as they are going mushy... .

:blech: Send your yukky bananas there folks... :D

Done a bit of research on this :geekon: and apparently the way to slow down the ripening process is to hang your bananas so they get lots of air around them.
So one of those banana hanging doohickeys seems the answer. Or get MrPiglet to screw a hook into the wall somewhere.

Thanks for doing the research. :thumbsup: I used to hang them on a hook...didn't make much difference. :shrug:

But the banana bread was delicious. :D