View Full Version : Moon and Saturn with my new camera

04-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Having some major issues with the technology as its not a straightforward piece of kit at all - clearly designed for people who understand different codecs and debayer matrixes ( I am unfortunately not amongst them).

The 'seeing' was rubbish last nigh in other words there was high cloud and the atmosphere was very 'wobbly' but I did manage to get closer into the moon that I have done before - never the less this camera is capable of so so so much more than this and I am actually quite grumpy about it :( - it is hardly an ' out of the box camera'

right to orientate you on the moon this was an old pic I took

Top middle of the picture is a tiny flat surfaced crater called Plato which looks lovely through a scope and next to it is a little 'scar' called the Vallis alpes that has a little crack running through it that is just a mile accross - never been able to see this before the best I had ever managed before last night was this one

Hope you can compare the lower pic with the once at the top to compare the 2 and orientate

This was the same 2 areas from last night

1st Plato

And the Alpine Valley

I really hope it is going o bet better

A very quick Saturn as well - not good as it is now very small and as the rings are edge on its actually pretty feint

04-05-2009, 10:54 AM

That's the Saturn view I had too. :D

04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
oh for goodness sake, that's just ridiculously awesome Chris! :hug2:

04-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Wow! These pictures take my breathe away!

04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
oh for goodness sake, that's just ridiculously awesome Chris! :hug2:

The last photo literally made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

04-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Think I have finally sussed the debayer matrix to bring out the colour n the planet

04-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Well *now* you're just showing off.

04-05-2009, 01:52 PM
You are very kind but I KNOW it can do so so much better than that :sigh:

04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Understandable :hug2: To you, you see something on which you can improve...but to us...well to us...you've given us the stars, my friend.

I even use your photos in my classroom during our Solar System Theme, and when my students found out I actually KNEW the person who took these photos? Well it took on a whole new dimension for them.

Of course one of my students DID ask if you were an alien, because he couldn't understand HOW it was possible to get shots that close otherwise...but that's beside the point.

Thank you for sharing :hug2:

04-05-2009, 02:03 PM
All ze time a learning

04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Pls tell me you cant get photographs like that from your back garden?

04-05-2009, 02:05 PM

04-05-2009, 02:10 PM
:applaudit: Wonderful. Thank you.

but to us...well to us...you've given us the stars, my friend.

Excellently put! :thumbsup:

04-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Indeed from the back garden - there will be more and better to come - there had better be at least :D

04-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Great piccies Chris! :yes:

Don't know if you've ever mentioned it but exactly what camera have you got? Curiosity has gotten the better of me! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:.. I think my debayer matrix is broken... I HATE it when that happens!)

04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
wow absolutely stunning photos chris, cant wait til you get them right if your grumpy now :wink:

04-05-2009, 03:02 PM
:LOL: it's a special astronomy camera that takes avis tom. I'll get there then you'll see what I'm blithering on about

04-05-2009, 03:04 PM
well id get that bloke avis tom to get his finger out :lol:

04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
avis tom

I've been called a lot of things in my life but I've never been called "avis"! :mental:

Wonder if that's good or bad???? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... no, not the Harry Potter spell!)

04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Feel so cheated, can't see them from work mate, but will def. have a look tonight. I just know they are awesome though.

14-05-2009, 12:55 PM
WOW. :thud:

14-05-2009, 01:03 PM
chris have you got any further on from the pix from the other week?

15-05-2009, 07:05 AM
No the ones I posted are the best I'm going to get from those films - TBH Saturn is way past its best at the moment and it was more an exercise in trying to get the camera to 1. connect to the computer and save the files where I wanted and 2. upload properly into the procssing software.

The atmospheric conditions were not fabuous either and there were taken through high cloud so they were never going to be what I was going to be 100% happy with but I am learning all the time and it is a steep old learning curve.

Noone has been able to take truely stunning pics of Saturn this year as it is low in the sky and therefore subject to a lot of turbulence in the atmosphere, that and the fact it is dim as the rings are edge on.

I am hoping , really hoping for some really , really good Jupiter pictures later in the year and possibly some lunar and solar stuff from this particular camera before then.

As I said its not a poit and shoot jobbie and looks liek it has been cobbled together in a a lab so its not a case of click - there is an excellent photo

The last Saturn one will be the last one I take this year and is coparable with what most guys are getting - at least it is a document of nearly closed rings.

Effectively the camera takes films in RAW mode and trying to get that to look nice and proper ain't the easiest of jobs but as you can see it does give me images a LOT further in than I have gone before

15-05-2009, 09:18 AM
cool thanks for that chris.....i know i speak for everyone on the site who is interested....all the pix you have taken so far are totally amazing and thx for sharing them, doesnt matter if they are planets or stars , whatever they are truly awesome.

wish i had some money to start getting into this...first a decentish scope me thinks :) birthday coming up soon too :fingers:

15-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Well thats very kind of you Mick thanks

15-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Well thats very kind of you Mick thanks

your welcome me ol mukker....looking forward to the rest in the future :)

i will have to tap you for some info on a decentish scope, is there one for star and planetary gazing that would do the job, that could also have a 400d attached to?

15-05-2009, 10:14 AM
As I am now able to do things frmo a modding perspective I think I shall get my house in order and start a new thread witha few stickies

15-05-2009, 10:23 AM
cook go for it my son lol