View Full Version : DH is on a bank holiday day out to Brighton

mumof2
04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
and what a lovely day he's had.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8032579.stm

luckily that wasn't his van, i checked! he's still not home yet. :thumbsdown:

Dawn
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM
What exactly is going on in Brighton today? Even the navy have a vessel just off the pier watching.

mumof2
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
this (http://www.smashedo.org.uk/) group

*apparently* their aim is to protest against arms, war, etc.....their protests are quite a regular occurence, the bigger protest always end up in a fight. As my DS14 summed it up earlier...."i thought they were against war"

In my opinion, there will be members of the goup who are there to truly protest and stand up for their beliefs. Fa play to them, i believe in standing up for what you think is right or wrong. But as with all demos and protests there are those who are there purely for the confrontation.

Hre's a link to the local newspaper, (http://www.theargus.co.uk/) their a various links there which are interesting to read.

mumof2
04-05-2009, 06:16 PM
do you know what makes me really angry though, all those people, some with children, who will have gone to Brighton for a bank Holiday day out only to be confronted by masked protesters rampaging through the streets....:nono:

mumof2
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
here's (http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4340279.Liveblog__Brighton_Smash_EDO_protest/) a live blog

daveann
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
saw it on the news it looked nasty things just get so heated these days :(

ukjay
04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
this (http://www.smashedo.org.uk/) group

*apparently* their aim is to protest against arms, war, etc.....their protests are quite a regular occurence, the bigger protest always end up in a fight. As my DS14 summed it up earlier...."i thought they were against war"

In my opinion, there will be members of the goup who are there to truly protest and stand up for their beliefs. Fa play to them, i believe in standing up for what you think is right or wrong. But as with all demos and protests there are those who are there purely for the confrontation.

Hre's a link to the local newspaper, (http://www.theargus.co.uk/) their a various links there which are interesting to read.

:evil: You can't spell very well

daveann
04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
do you know what makes me really angry though, all those people, some with children, who will have gone to Brighton for a bank Holiday day out only to be confronted by masked protesters rampaging through the streets....:nono:
when football holiganism was in its hay day and i was a child we went to the seaside when there local team was playing and i remember my dad pushing me into a doorway and being terrified as the events were going on around me and its never left me the vivid memories of police on horses trying to contain the trouble

mumof2
04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
:evil: You can't spell very well

yes, thank you son :slap:

when football holiganism was in its hay day and i was a child we went to the seaside when there local team was playing and i remember my dad pushing me into a doorway and being terrified as the events were going on around me and its never left me the vivid memories of police on horses trying to contain the trouble

the horses terrified me on a protest i went to as an adult, as a child it must be so much worse......

mumof2
04-05-2009, 09:22 PM
still not home yet, i'm getting too tired to wait up so i'll be going to bed soon!

lozzy
04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
We live just in front of the EDO factory and every bloody thursday their protest, it drives me mad. I can't believe these people are aloud to get away with this.

mumof2
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
We live just in front of the EDO factory and every bloody thursday their protest, it drives me mad. I can't believe these people are aloud to get away with this.

yeah i was thinking of you.....yesterday was so bad, i don't think they did themselves any favours.

They have a 'noise' protest every week don't they - it's ridiculous. When will they realise those tactics aren't actually changing anything?

lozzy
05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
yeah i was thinking of you.....yesterday was so bad, i don't think they did themselves any favours.

They have a 'noise' protest every week don't they - it's ridiculous. When will they realise those tactics aren't actually changing anything?

I think they have been doing it for a few years now. and guess what they haven;t made any different. A few weeks back I was woken up to the sound of smashing glass and it turned out the smash EDO group had broken in to the factory and broken windows and computer.

mumof2
05-05-2009, 10:04 AM
as i said before, i agree with making your voice heard whether you are for or against something......but vandalism and confrontation, what does that do?

Does it help your fight against what you believe is wrong - no.

Does it win you supporters - no.

Prancing around on the roof of a kiosk on Brighton Pier, kicking and damaging the cars of ordinary and innocent people just trying to drive past, throwing bricks at the window of McDonalds when there are young children inside, trying to turn over a police van and vandalising it when there is (possibly) a person inside just trying to do their job and protect all the innocent people going about their business......i could go on, it makes me really angry.

Tink
05-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Your DH is ok, Mairead? :( It's scary stuff. Protests that have any element of violence in them always scare me.

I've been a part of peaceful, silent candlelight vigil style protests, and the like, but never something that turned or included violence. What's the point of that then? Nothing get's changed, and often people are hurt.

Hope all is well. :yes:

(And Mister UKJay, mind your Mum! Spelling is as spelling does. If it conveys the meaning, that's what matters. This isn't a school paper here! :D :hug2: )

lozzy
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Your DH is ok, Mairead? :( It's scary stuff. Protests that have any element of violence in them always scare me.

I've been a part of peaceful, silent candlelight vigil style protests, and the like, but never something that turned or included violence. What's the point of that then? Nothing get's changed, and often people are hurt.

(And Mister UKJay, mind your Mum! Spelling is as spelling does. If it conveys the meaning, that's what matters. This isn't a school paper here! :D :hug2: )

Totally agree, I think these people set out to start trouble, they arrived of the train with face masks on, well that says it all really. why find your face if your not going to start trouble.
They all need putting on an island and leaving there for distrubing the peace. No room in the prisions so that will be the next best thing. LOL

mumof2
05-05-2009, 11:04 AM

oh yes he's fine thank you Tink, he was tired after a long day but fine.

My spelling was atrocious though wasn't it! i'd typed and retyped and missed bits out here and there! He did tell me he was going to tick me off for my spelling....cheeky wotsit!

mumof2
05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Totally agree, I think these people set out to start trouble, they arrived of the train with face masks on, well that says it all really. why find your face if your not going to start trouble.
They all need putting on an island and leaving there for distrubing the peace. No room in the prisions so that will be the next best thing. LOL

well that's interesting. When DH got home i showed him some of the videos and photos of the day. He told me how the police have to have their warrant numbers visible yet these people go around in face masks so as not to be identified.

Also, the group of officers he was in were told not to draw their batons.....WHAT?! I mean if things got bad for them surely they would have been allowed to. I know there were batons being used as I saw them in the pictures.

Some of the videos that people had filmed from their homes made interesting watching - people goading the police....then they go and complain about exessive force used to disperse them. I think the police were being very careful though from what I understand, after the events in London.

lozzy
05-05-2009, 11:19 AM
well that's interesting. When DH got home i showed him some of the videos and photos of the day. He told me how the police have to have their warrant numbers visible yet these people go around in face masks so as not to be identified.

Also, the group of officers he was in were told not to draw their batons.....WHAT?! I mean if things got bad for them surely they would have been allowed to. I know there were batons being used as I saw them in the pictures.

Some of the videos that people had filmed from their homes made interesting watching - people goading the police....then they go and complain about exessive force used to disperse them. I think the police were being very careful though from what I understand, after the events in London.

I really fell sorry for the police, they get bad press if they don't act on something and bad press if they do. We all know that some officers acted out of line in london but look what they were up against.

Tink
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Facial coverings does come across as sinister in that sort of setting, don't they? :(

He is a cheeky sweetie our UKJay! :D :D Kiddos just love the opportunity to "correct" parents, don't they? :yes: :D :D

lozzy
05-05-2009, 11:23 AM
He is a cheeky sweetie our UKJay! :D :D Kiddos just love the opportunity to "correct" parents, don't they? :yes: :D :D

My eldest son is always tell me I can't spell and takes the pee if I say something wrong, I say z when it should be s and s when it should be z, he thinks that is really funny.

mumof2
05-05-2009, 11:25 AM
i just wanted to add that you can see i am obviously not on the side of the violent protesters on this one, the people that went there and remained peaceful - i respect their views, but not the violent ones.

I too have been on protest marches but the most memorable one for me was the Poll Tax Protest in London many moons ago! I think I have posted elsewhere what a great day it was......until the agitators started, then it just got plain scary and the message thousands of people were trying to get across was completely lost.

We literally had to run, some people practically for their lives, as a police van was driven at speed towards the huge crowd we were in, we were all in danger of being ploughed into.

At the time I thought it was outrageous but when i looked back and thought about it I could see the police just had to try and disperse the crowds. They had no time to sit back and see who was behaving peacefully and who wasn't. Innocent people could have been seriously injured, and that's why I don't agree with these violent actions.

Now DH attends these things I have yet another perspective on the situations that arise at these protests.

lozzy
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I agree with you. Protest but don't be violent, my mum always told me violence never gets you anywhere.

mumof2
05-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree with you. Protest but don't be violent, my mum always told me violence never gets you anywhere.

:yes: she's right