PDA

View Full Version : Whats the advantage of shooting

ukwdwnut
04-05-2009, 07:51 PM
photos in raw mode and i understnd you have to photshop them, exactly what you you have to do?

daveann
04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
its effectively a negative of a picture and you can minipulate it much more, its a bigger file size that gives you more to play with when you are doing things with it...........its the capacity to do things with the picture................. this from himself as he is on the ps3 dictating

Britchick
04-05-2009, 08:15 PM
you will need to convert them to JPEG to do most things with them.

there is a thread where i asked the same question, very basically the JPEG is the result of the camera processing the image that you have taken with it's little computer thingie. the benefit of RAW is that you can process it yourself in a program. I use digital photo professional- it came with the camera. The major benefit i have found is that if you accidentaly under or over expose an image you can adjust it and it has on some occasions saved a photo from the recycling bin. You can also tweak the levels, sharpen and reduce noise - i'm sure there is a lot more- haven't worked that out yet. Also when you start editing a JPEG you damage the photo which you don't do in RAW. Keith please correct me if i've got it wrapped round my neck lol

oh and they take up lots and lots and lots of space- i get just over 200 shots on a 2gb CF card- normally around 600 so they take up 3 x more space.

foreverducky
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I am so glad you asked this question Mick, as I was wondering the same thing. :D

mumof2
04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
whooosh, that one flew straight over my head ~ no surprises there! :tongue:

ukwdwnut
04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
ok thanks ann and brit oh and dave the dictator :lol: i will have to have a play

brit dont you have the 400D as well

lozzy
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I shoot all my photo's in RAW then once I have happy with the photo's look I convert to JPEG.

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I shoot all my photo's in RAW then once I have happy with the photo's look I convert to JPEG.

ok will have a play when i get in from work tomoz :)

keith
05-05-2009, 01:27 AM
ok will have a play when i get in from work tomoz :)

It really is worth a go but you have to really have a good idea what you want to achieve by shooting raw otherwise it's just a slower way to get the same, or worse, results.

Basically when you shoot jpg, the camera does a load of work for you. All digital cameras produce unsharp images and so when you specify jpg, the camera will automatically sharpen the image, it'll often balance the colours, play with the levels and so on. It's why you can pick up a camera, point click and get a decent result almost every time!

Only when you've got past that stage and start wanting more control over the image do you start to see the benefit of raw. Since RAW as the name implies, gives you the raw data from the sensor, it won't be corrected in the camera and without processing can lead to dull images.

Luckily, or not, there's no way to do anything with a raw image without processing. You HAVE to take it into a computer and at the very least convert it to a viewable format like JPG and at that stage, again, the application will tend to offer you adjustments. The easiest thing will be to click auto levels and let the application do what the camera would have done if you'd taken jpg only chances are it'll make a better job of it!

Once you get the feel for it though you can pull back detail, drastically change colour balance, levels all to suit the effect you were trying to get. It's only at this stage that you REALLY see the benefits of shooting raw.

What I'm trying to say is, loads of people shoot raw and feel underwhelmed when they fail to see an instant improvement. Just shooting raw, in general, won't give you anything more than shooting jpg. It's not a magical solution to better quality images in and of itself, but it facilitates production of better images in the digital darkroom if you take the time to post process.

As a PS. Many award winning pro photographers shoot JPG straight out of their cameras so no one should feel like they have to shoot raw. It really is all about knowing when shooting raw would give you an advantage :yes:

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM
cool thx keith i will have a go at it and see. what apps are good for the conversion and tweaking

Britchick
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
what Keith said lol!!

there was a review in my magazine this month Nut and lightroom came out quite favourably- quite expensive though.

keith
05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
what Keith said lol!!

What you said too! I just repeated it longwindedly and more boringly :lol:

there was a review in my magazine this month Nut and lightroom came out quite favourably- quite expensive though.

yep lightroom is really good as is phase one capture one and photoshop to be honest!

You'll also have something with your camera whether it's canon or nikon that'll do the same job.

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 05:43 PM
what Keith said lol!!

count that out then :lol:

What you said too! I just repeated it longwindedly and more boringly :lol:

yep lightroom is really good as is phase one capture one and photoshop to be honest!

You'll also have something with your camera whether it's canon or nikon that'll do the same job.

yeah was a bit wasnt it :wink: :lol:

oooo PS got that will be good then :D might get it out now and have a bash as it will let you know how it goes :)

Britchick
05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
you can get a free trial of lightroom nut- i use digital photo professional which came with the camera, i'm sure that others are better but i'd rather put the money towards a new lens.............. or camera - sorry i do have the 400d nut forgot to answer that earlier.

I'm going to photography bootcamp this weekend and really looking forward to it!!

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
you can get a free trial of lightroom nut- i use digital photo professional which came with the camera, i'm sure that others are better but i'd rather put the money towards a new lens.............. or camera - sorry i do have the 400d nut forgot to answer that earlier.

I'm going to photography bootcamp this weekend and really looking forward to it!!

ok thx brit..i was just wondering then if i would have that app as well then if its bundled with the 400D...thats ok no probs...if its loads id rather put it towards a new lens too seeing as the 50mm got broken on the flight to orlando and didnt even get to use it there lol was thinking of the 17-85IS is it

have a great time and post what you take here ok :)

Britchick
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
canon?

you'll need to update the DPP from the canon website- it now has extras like noise reduction on it- all free

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
canon?

you'll need to update the DPP from the canon website- it now has extras like noise reduction on it- all free

huh!!! canon what lol

does that mean it updates the camera, sorry for my ignorance

Britchick
05-05-2009, 06:38 PM
huh!!! canon what lol

does that mean it updates the camera, sorry for my ignorance

canon lens that you want?

it updates your software on your computer

ukwdwnut
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
canon lens that you want?

it updates your software on your computer

yes sorry seeing as i have the 400d that would be a good idea to get a canon one :wink: :lol:

ok cool, thought you meant the firmware on the camera or something