PDA

View Full Version : Please help. What should we do?

*Bambi-Belle*
07-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a problem!!!!!!!!and don't know what to do!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!

My oldest son Liam who will be 14 in June applied for a student exchange program to Tanzania October 2009. We knew he wouldn't get it due to him being so young, but I just received a letter through the post saying that the school and head teacher were very impressed with the depth and maturity of his application, but due to insurance reasons he couldn't go this year but have given him an automatic place October 2010. This is a huge honor as only two students are chosen every year and they are normally from the senior classes.

So here is the problem, we are booked for Florida the very same weeks the exchange is.

Do we cancel/move our holiday or go without him.

My Mum and hubby both think we should go without him but It seems all wrong to me. I can't imagine being In Florida without Liam or being out of the country when he is in Africa.

I don't know what we should do. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I'm so chuffed for him though. He wanted this soooooo much:thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
07-05-2009, 11:45 AM
see what he would like to do

on the one hand hes going on holiday so to speak but could you honestly go without him, if not change your dates. hard one hun :hug2:

Dizneyblonde
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Definitely change the dates.

Well that's what i would do.I couldn't imagine going without either of my two and i'd much rather be at home while he was away.
Changing dates shouldn't be a problem this far in advance so fingers crossed.

And well done Liam.What an achievement!

Tink
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm with you, Mama. I'd certainly be thrilled that he was chosen, and support him to the ends of the earth on this adventure, but I'd not want to be in Florida while he was away.

I simply wouldn't be comfortable, and therefore wouldn't be able to enjoy my holiday.

I'd change my dates so that he could come on the WDW holiday, but mostly because I'd want to stick close to home and be accessible if he needed me for anything at all while he was in Africa.

*Bambi-Belle*
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys, :hug2:I think it's always a good idea to trust your Mum instincts.:thumbsup:

Deb
07-05-2009, 12:05 PM
And for what it's worth Bambi, my advice would be exactly the same as DB and Tink's :yes:

Whata brilliant achievement for Liam!!

Dizneyblonde
Yep that's what makes us so special.

Hope you get it sorted hun.X

Tink
ALLLLLLLLways. :yes:

And congratulations to the young Liam!!! :yes:

Ursula
07-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Yep what they say... I'd have to be home just in case. WDW will still be there.

josh.p.
07-05-2009, 01:08 PM
WOW! How lucky is your Son! That is a fabulous oppurtunity.

If I was in your sons position I would definatley want to go to Florida and wouldn't want everyone to go without me. I wouldn't say it but I'd want you to change the dates, however, I'd probably feel too cheeky and awkward to tell my Mum that <G> I would change the dates :yes:

*Bambi-Belle*
07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
WOW! How lucky is your Son! That is a fabulous oppurtunity.

If I was in your sons position I would definatley want to go to Florida and wouldn't want everyone to go without me. I wouldn't say it but I'd want you to change the dates, however, I'd probably feel too cheeky and awkward to tell my Mum that <G>I would change the dates :yes:

Lol Liam will be the same, I know deep down he would be gutted if we were to go without him, but he would never tell us that.

I've been looking at alternative dates all afternoon but can't decide.:unsure:

I would have loved to have changed it to this October but My husband will be working in Australia from July to September but possibly with an extension to October so can't make plans just in case he's still in Oz lol

So I'm thinking July 2010 or Christmas 2010. We would lose free dining but that was a bonus anyhow. :wiggle:

daveann
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
well done liam

i would change dates whats a few weeks later gonna harm :)

uscwest
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I guess the first question to ask is how long will Liam's program in Tanzania last? Most exchange student programs here in the US anyway are the entire school year.

Taja
07-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Lol Liam will be the same, I know deep down he would be gutted if we were to go without him, but he would never tell us that.

I've been looking at alternative dates all afternoon but can't decide.:unsure:

I would have loved to have changed it to this October but My husband will be working in Australia from July to September but possibly with an extension to October so can't make plans just in case he's still in Oz lol

So I'm thinking July 2010 or Christmas 2010. We would lose free dining but that was a bonus anyhow. :wiggle:

:applaudit: Congratulations, Liam!

Realistically, unless the economy makes a dramatic turn-around, free dining probably will be available next year. Can you adjust your dates forward or back by a week or two to still be in that arena--and school holidays--in case it's offered?

What ever you do, you'll have a wonderful family holiday!

Dawn
07-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Well done Liam!! :mental:

Oooh and it has to be Christmas at Disney. :D

*Bambi-Belle*
07-05-2009, 03:08 PM
It's a four week experience, he goes to live with a family and goes to school there for two weeks, he will also go on safari and to mount Kilimanjaro which he will be ecstatic about. Liam loves geography so this will be a dream come true for him. I suspect his Geography teacher may have had something to do with him being offered this place. She always calls him her third son lol as she thinks he's like her two boys. After his trip a pupil from Tanzania will come and live with us and go to school with Liam for two weeks. I must say I very excited about that part lol It's going to be fab.:thumbsup:

I need to take my holidays during school holidays too so term time isn't an option. The next October might be a plan but it seems sooooo far away.:sorry:

I must say I wish I knew what he had put on his application. I never looked at it as there was an age limit and knew he wouldn't have been picked, but he wanted to show he was interested and be involved in the events leading up to the exchange so they would consider him in the future I just left him to it lol

*Bambi-Belle*
07-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks again everyone xxxxxxxx

ukwdwnut
07-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I need to take my holidays during school holidays too so term time isn't an option. The next October might be a plan but it seems sooooo far away.:sorry:

i had to wait 4 yrs from one trip to another laura and i know PA 's was 10 yrs so if it has to be another year it will soon go. why not go at chrimbo, ive wanted to go then for ages :D

Mari
07-05-2009, 05:14 PM
First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!

I think you should just talk to him, and go with your heart

HE will probably wont mind if you go without him, since he is really looking forward to Tanzania... but if you wont feel comfortable and feel you wont have as much fun without him there, you can always move your trip 2 weeks or a month.... you have enough time (I think) to move things around if you wish to do so

Tinkfan
07-05-2009, 06:11 PM
:stocking: Christmas time I'm told is beautiful there!! What a special Christmas present for Liam it would be! Congratulations, what an honor! ( how long is the flight from UK to Africa?) can he fly to Orlando instead and meet you there?