That worked well!

Seriously! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... told ya!)

foreverducky
10-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Who's buying me one? Any takers? :D

Beccaberry
11-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Last night at our annual auction, one of my student's dad's donated 10 mac laptops to our classrooms :)

Can I *tell* you how excited I am?

Tink
11-05-2009, 01:24 AM
There you have it folks!!! Do as the good Doctor orders! :yes: :D :D :D

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 06:47 AM
:macwave:

I am still learning ut everything is soooooo easy - the hardest part has been trying to learn to do things easily and not as complicated as windows made you do things :unsure: does that make sense?

Disneybumble
11-05-2009, 07:06 AM
But l am to scared. I have lived so long now with my windows.

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 07:10 AM
The one I have runs windows as well as OS :yes:

Disneybumble
11-05-2009, 07:24 AM
But l think l am brainwashed because all you hear is the "evil" of Mac......................but saying that DD just got an ipod touch. And sweet niblets is that impressive.

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Well there you go :D

ukwdwnut
11-05-2009, 08:07 AM
whats complicated with windows? not being funny just asking :) still looking for a macbook on ebay, no luck tho :(

keith
11-05-2009, 09:44 AM
whats complicated with windows? not being funny just asking :)

I pretty much wrote my masters dissertation on that :lol: the short answer is "a lot!"

Modal Dialogue boxes which sit there demanding answers, you try and swap to another window to FIND the answer but they wont let you, it just beeps. so you have to cancel it go find the answer and come back repeat grrrrrr

Boxes that say ok/cancel and you have to work out what happens if you press ok what happens if you press cancel (versus mac that would say Save/Don't Save etc.)

Inconsistent drag and drop. Sometimes you drag a document or photo into an application and it works then the next time you do it you just get a link to the file on your desktop or something.

I mean literally I could spend all day typing about the problems. It's a very poorly thought out user interface. Of course, people get used to it and even become comfortable with it so it's not like I'm saying no one could possibly use it, just that it's not intuitive.

The mac is considerably better though sadly not perfect. It's VERY close though :yes:

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 09:49 AM
i have had mine a week or so and am doing things on it I would have had no idea how to do in Windows and I spend all day in windows at work. It just all makes sense so far anyway.

Plus you don't get the infernal pop ups every 30 seconds or asking you to reboot.

There are no mac virus'

As I understand it it defrags as it goes so no problems there either.

It makes a nice 'Booom' when you turn it on as opposed to ' ding dong ding dong' 'pop'

ukwdwnut
11-05-2009, 09:53 AM
I pretty much wrote my masters dissertation on that :lol: the short answer is "a lot!"

i wont even get into this answer :lol:

i have had mine a week or so and am doing things on it I would have had no idea how to do in Windows and I spend all day in windows at work. It just all makes sense so far anyway.

Plus you don't get the infernal pop ups every 30 seconds or asking you to reboot.

There are no mac virus'

As I understand it it defrags as it goes so no problems there either.

It makes a nice 'Booom' when you turn it on as opposed to ' ding dong ding dong' 'pop'

thats one great thing with macs....no virii :)

cool glad you like it chris :)

still looking :)

Tink
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Plus, Macs are just downright, super D duty uber sexy. :yes: :D :D :D

Stuffy old clunky windows. :wink: :D

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
yes at no point have I wanted to lick my PC :D

catrancher
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
It just all makes sense
:worship:

What Chris said!

Told ya! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... Appareo Decet Nihil Munditia?)

Tink
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
:laugh:

Oh, I do so know what you mean!!! :laugh:

Tink
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Oh, I do so know what you mean!!! :laugh:

Watchinherskip
11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Cool Dr. Chris. And for your astrophotography..it is a natural!

I think my DD used the requirement of a Mac for her major to help her decide upon Longwood University. Macs are required for all BFA majors!

So guess what we will be buying in a few weeks?:tongue:

catrancher
11-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Get two!

Then, with iChat AV, you can have a video chat with her anytime you want! It'll be like she's right in the room with you. Helps avoid that nasty "empty nest" syndrome!

Tom (:macwave:... ain't technology great!)

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I have to say the clincher is the Windows compatability though as much of what I need still has to run through that - but once I have what I need from that side of things I just shunt it over into the loveliness of the OS

Watchinherskip
11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Get two!

Then, with iChat AV, you can have a video chat with her anytime you want! It'll be like she's right in the room with you. Helps avoid that nasty "empty nest" syndrome!

Tom (:macwave:... ain't technology great!)
Actually thought about that...

Thanks Tom.

Skywatcher
11-05-2009, 04:45 PM
:evil:

one by one they fall

I even love the power lead - its magnetic and has a little light on it to tell you what its doing

Claire
11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
:evil:

one by one they fall

I even love the power lead - its magnetic and has a little light on it to tell you what its doing

And I've been thankful it's magnetic more times than I care to think about when one of my children have caught their foot around the wire.

Britchick
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
i had a bit of a play on one at the weekend, sigh need lens first though :thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 09:54 AM
i had a bit of a play on one at the weekend, sigh need lens first though :thumbsup:

what one you thinking of brit?

josh.p.
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
How did I miss this thread?!?!?!

josh.p.
12-05-2009, 12:07 PM
ps... its nice to have a computer I don't have to trick into doing what I want!!!

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
ps... its nice to have a computer I don't have to trick into doing what I want!!!

oh come on you dont have to trick a windows pc josh :lol:

Skywatcher
12-05-2009, 12:56 PM
:sigh:

One day he will understand Josh, one day......... ;)

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 01:00 PM
i know what macs are like and i want to get one but come on tricking a pc for it to do what you want never heard such tosh ;):lol:

Britchick
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM
what one you thinking of brit?

any one!! need to convert Jon first though :yes:

Skywatcher
12-05-2009, 03:01 PM
interms of a lens I want a canon fit 200mm fixed telephoto lens f2.8 if anyone has gathering dust they want to donate :D

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 03:03 PM
any one!! need to convert Jon first though :yes:

i mean the lens you donut :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Britchick
12-05-2009, 03:19 PM
interms of a lens I want a canon fit 200mm fixed telephoto lens f2.8 if anyone has gathering dust they want to donate :D

is it an L series? i want a 24-70 2.8L :yes:

Britchick
12-05-2009, 03:19 PM
i mean the lens you donut :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:slap:

Skywatcher
12-05-2009, 03:26 PM

indeed , I don't want the zoom though just the 200mm

can't see it happening as at best on ebay they are 600

Britchick
12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
mine's a little dearer than that:unsure: i wouldn't need another though:surrender:

pigletpete
12-05-2009, 03:51 PM

thats a great lens :yes: matched with the 70-200 2.8L and you have everything covered

Britchick
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
thats a great lens :yes: matched with the 70-200 2.8L and you have everything covered

:drool:

Skywatcher
12-05-2009, 03:56 PM
:nono: do NOT drool on the lens!!

Britchick
12-05-2009, 03:57 PM
:nono: do NOT drool on the lens!!

can't help it :sorry:

Skywatcher
12-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I know - my scopes are effectiveley just whacking great lenses as all I do is take photos through them and I feel the same about them, so i do understand

josh.p.
12-05-2009, 04:30 PM
oh come on you dont have to trick a windows pc josh :lol:
You DO!!! Nothing is plain and simple with them and you constantly run into errors! :yes: Perhaps they don't think in the same way that I do.

I installed a new printer on my mac a while back... because I'm sooo used to windows I plugged it in and spent ages trying to find an install function... turned out OSX had discovered it, installed it etc without me knowing and it was already done :yes:

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 07:09 PM
You DO!!! Nothing is plain and simple with them and you constantly run into errors! :yes: Perhaps they don't think in the same way that I do.

I installed a new printer on my mac a while back... because I'm sooo used to windows I plugged it in and spent ages trying to find an install function... turned out OSX had discovered it, installed it etc without me knowing and it was already done :yes:

i get no errors on mine :)

Britchick
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM

it's easier to accept that they're better Nut :tongue:

denial is a river in Egypt!! :lol:

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
i luv my 70-300 macro :D

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
it's easier to accept that they're better Nut :tongue:

denial is a river in Egypt!! :lol:

that they may be and im not arguing that point at all :)......but im just saying you dont need to TRICK a windows pc do do anything on it :lol:

catrancher
12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
<center>Resistance is useless!</center>

Signed,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz (at your service)

Britchick
12-05-2009, 07:20 PM
i luv my 70-300 macro :D

you have the same as me nut- the tamron i believe- it is fine but having touched and played with the real thing you can really tell the difference. Will have to get a few more clients before i get that one though lol

Britchick
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Signed,

i know, sniff

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 07:23 PM
you have the same as me nut- the tamron i believe- it is fine but having touched and played with the real thing you can really tell the difference. Will have to get a few more clients before i get that one though lol

nah mine is the sigma, lozzy has the tamron...and the real thing was what hun?

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Signed,

I WANT ONE I WANT ONE but cant find one at a decent price :lol:

Britchick
12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
nah mine is the sigma, lozzy has the tamron...and the real thing was what hun?

the canon 70-200

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 07:28 PM
the canon 70-200

is it an L if not why is that the real thing whats the difference sorry for my ignorance

also why a 200 when you have a 300 :unsure:

Britchick
12-05-2009, 07:33 PM
is it an L if not why is that the real thing whats the difference sorry for my ignorance

also why a 200 when you have a 300 :unsure:

the quality of the glass that makes it so much better- sharper shots and better function at low light as it has a bigger aperture and for the whole range of the lens.

i'll be selling my 50mm 1.8 next month Nut if you're interested:yes:

ukwdwnut
12-05-2009, 08:01 PM
the quality of the glass that makes it so much better- sharper shots and better function at low light as it has a bigger aperture and for the whole range of the lens.

i'll be selling my 50mm 1.8 next month Nut if you're interested:yes:

what because its a canon[better glass] or is it an L glass lens you didnt say

ok cool, that explains that thx

how much and is it the canon one same i had that got broke on the plane ? :(

catrancher
13-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Right...

Ok, you've got to see a couple of the new Mac vs PC commercials:

<center><object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zjLBFV8yN1Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zjLBFV8yN1Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

and

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5wiomEPivU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5wiomEPivU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
</center>

Tom (:macwave:... still chuckling!)

josh.p.
13-05-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.1pstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pewter_trophy_lrg.jpg

ukwdwnut
13-05-2009, 03:14 PM
http://www.1pstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pewter_trophy_lrg.jpg

lol cheers mate....well i did build it :wink:

most of the time its just badly written drivers that cause the BSOD thats a major gripe i know.

right where can i find a cheap macbook???

josh.p.
13-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I dunno but when you find it let me know :rotfl:

ukwdwnut
13-05-2009, 03:53 PM
if i do i will show you it lol

Skywatcher
13-05-2009, 07:41 PM
lol cheers mate....well i did build it :wink:

most of the time its just badly written drivers that cause the BSOD thats a major gripe i know.

The master of the double standard then there :laugh:

ukwdwnut
13-05-2009, 07:48 PM
The master of the double standard then there :laugh:

noooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

ask keith ive been asking him for a price on his macbook for over two years now :lol:

keith
13-05-2009, 07:55 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

ask keith ive been asking him for a price on his macbook for over two years now :lol:

You have indeed sir :yes: but I suspect he meant if windows is so good, how come you want a mac then :taunt:

I do understand though, it's good for us to try different systems especially when we have to support them :yes:

I think the best way to describe the mac difference these days is simply to say, you can do pretty much everything on either system, but a lot of people agree that it's more fun on a mac.

I'm sure you'll like it when you get one

ukwdwnut
13-05-2009, 08:02 PM
i luv the pc's dont have a prob with them but ive wanted a mac for ages now, would have got one instead of the lappy i got now but didnt have the xtra 200 quid. i know how good the macs are from what ppl say and as you say its good to try new thing, i might have to supprt them one day if i start to buy them for the school :lol:

ooooo now theres a thought :lol:

josh.p.
14-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I installed parallels today.... another reason to add to the 'I hate windows' list!!!!

The *RUBBISH* that comes with windows is unbelievable!!

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I installed parallels today.... another reason to add to the 'I hate windows' list!!!!

The *RUBBISH* that comes with windows is unbelievable!!

ok name the rubbish that comes with windows josh me ol mukker...if it were that bad do you expect corporates across the globe to still be using it, no i dont think so..ive work in the corporate workplace all over london and it works fine. sure there are problems but if a pc is build properly then it will work well for you

josh.p.
14-05-2009, 03:48 PM
ok name the rubbish that comes with windows josh me ol mukker...if it were that bad do you expect corporates across the globe to still be using it, no i dont think so..ive work in the corporate workplace all over london and it works fine. sure there are problems but if a pc is build properly then it will work well for you
If you buy a new PC with windows pre-installed on it then it is 99% certain to come with about 10 'free trials'.
My version of vista was on my tosh... after installing I had;

30-day Norton trial
DestkopSMS
Link to eBay
Configfree
Toshiba Config free
Toshiba Dr
Back-up software
Toshiba DVD
Kids 'games' (that are free-trials after like 3 plays)

and other junk. Literally took me about an hour to sieve though it all- imagine how long it'd take someone who isn't very good on PC's?!

Most corporate machines are purpose built or at least not bought from a place such as PC world etc. You also have to take into account that corporate places are more likely to buy in bulk, use software they are used to, get the cheapest deal on a bunch of PC's, and use the OS that the majority of their employees will use at home. :yes:

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, I think I know the answer, but I will ask it anyway. DD Alex is required to get a Mac computer for her major at Longwood U. She is accepted into the B of Fine Arts school and is concentrating on photography. Do I go with the (two recommended machines)

1. 13 inch Mac book ($1,357)

2. 15 inch Mac book Pro ($2,058)

this one besides the bigger screen has a faster processor 2.0 Ghz v. 2.4 Ghz, both have 2 gig ram, formers is DDR3 Ram, second is just listed ad RAM, upgraded video and bigger hard drive (160 GB v. 250 GB)

Britchick
14-05-2009, 05:31 PM
i know i've said this before Dan, but i wish you were my Dad!! :lol:

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 05:32 PM
i know i've said this before Dan, but i wish you were my Dad!! :lol:

You are one funny girl Brit!:tongue:

catrancher
14-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Well, I think I know the answer, but I will ask it anyway. DD Alex is required to get a Mac computer for her major at Longwood U. She is accepted into the B of Fine Arts school and is concentrating on photography. Do I go with the (two recommended machines)

this one besides the bigger screen has a faster processor 2.0 Ghz v. 2.4 Ghz, both have 2 gig ram, formers is DDR3 Ram, second is just listed ad RAM, upgraded video and bigger hard drive (160 GB v. 250 GB)

If she's doing graphics type things, I'd recommend the larger one. All the things on the 15" one are going to contribute to her experience. Especially with Photo/graphics manipulation. I've got a 17" one and could never go back to the smaller one. And I'm not even a graphics major! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... bigger is better)

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 05:43 PM
That is what I am thinking Tom. It should take her her four years at school. We are purchasing it through the university. They have the tech support for it that way. Now another goofy question. We got an all in one for her, wireless, (actually it sort of came with her Nikon purchase - rebate for all but $30) unit. I take it the Mac will just support it without installing a driver? It is a newer Lexmark.

catrancher
14-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I take it the Mac will just support it without installing a driver? It is a newer Lexmark.

It should support it natively as a printer. There may be additional functionality (scanner, fax, etc) that may be "custom". Usually, the vendor (Lexmark in this case) will have the necessary software available to use the other functions. In my case, I've got an HP all in one and HP had the Mac software to make the other stuff go. Printer part worked out of the box.

Edit --- just glanced at the Lexmark site and they do have downloadable software for these all-in-ones. Depends on the model you've got though.

Hope this helps!

Tom (:macwave:... vendor support is a wonderful thing!)

keith
14-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Definitely the macbook pro if you can. I think that line is the best thing Apple have ever made. Given that manipulation of photos can need more resources, it's a better bet

josh.p.
14-05-2009, 06:29 PM

You aren't looking for an adopted son are you? :unsure:

p.s... 2nd one ;)

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 06:54 PM
You aren't looking for an adopted son are you? :unsure:

p.s... 2nd one ;)

:point:LOL.....well Alex always wanted a brother and sister....:thumbsup:

Britchick
14-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Josh- i have airmiles :thumbsup:

josh.p.
14-05-2009, 07:47 PM
:point:LOL.....well Alex always wanted a brother and sister....:thumbsup:
Well... it wouldn't be fair to buy her a MBP and not me? :unsure: :yes: :exit:

Skywatcher
14-05-2009, 07:49 PM

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 07:54 PM

defo a 15 dan but jeez over 2k what a price to pay :unsure:

josh.p.
14-05-2009, 08:03 PM
defo a 15 dan but jeez over 2k what a price to pay :unsure:
But when she comes to sell it (if she ever does) then, it'll still be worth at least 1.2k! Whereas the windows equivalent would only be about 400

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 08:21 PM
But when she comes to sell it (if she ever does) then, it'll still be worth at least 1.2k! Whereas the windows equivalent would only be about 400

i dont pay 400 for a new top spec pc what you on about lol

keith
14-05-2009, 09:25 PM
What can we say, some of us just appreciate the finer things in life ;)

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 09:30 PM
What can we say, some of us just appreciate the finer things in life ;)

oh here we go the boss is having his two penneth :lol:

im just meaning it no where near as bad as ppl say it is, if they dont like it that fine

still want a macbook tho lol and wont get rid of the erst of me kit either :D

keith
14-05-2009, 09:51 PM
oh here we go the boss is having his two penneth :lol:

im just meaning it no where near as bad as ppl say it is, if they dont like it that fine

still want a macbook tho lol and wont get rid of the erst of me kit either :D

yeah I understand I really do. Both systems work at the end of the day and let you do what you need :yes: It's just the mac side has this certain feel to it. I mean to be honest, not EVERYONE likes that feel, but to me it has that quality feel to it

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 10:04 PM

yeah I understand I really do. Both systems work at the end of the day and let you do what you need :yes: It's just the mac side has this certain feel to it. I mean to be honest, not EVERYONE likes that feel, but to me it has that quality feel to it

they both have their own place, if windows didnt work the workplace would be using macs everywhere....one day i will let you know how the feel is for me :lol:

keith
14-05-2009, 10:21 PM
they both have their own place, if windows didnt work the workplace would be using macs everywhere....one day i will let you know how the feel is for me :lol:

Welllllll there are very good historical reasons why windows is in the workplace and it's not related to quality, it's related to business decisions early on. (apple went for a closed business model for it's operating system whereas Microsoft licensed Dos all over the place to anyone who wanted it which was the more successfull strategy)

There are millions of fords around the place and far less ferraris but I know which one I'd rather have ;)

Heck we all sound so snobby about our Apple macs :lol: ah well

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Welllllll there are very good historical reasons why windows is in the workplace and it's not related to quality, it's related to business decisions early on. (apple went for a closed business model for it's operating system whereas Microsoft licensed Dos all over the place to anyone who wanted it which was the more successfull strategy)

There are millions of fords around the place and far less ferraris but I know which one I'd rather have ;)

Heck we all sound so snobby about our Apple macs :lol: ah well

yeah know all about that. the userbase is sooooo vast that i dont think it will come about anytime soon that anything wil replace it, if ever.....no not snobby at all :lol:

yep fords are **** :lol:

josh.p.
14-05-2009, 10:50 PM
i dont pay 400 for a new top spec pc what you on about lol
I mean that the windows PC would only be worth about 400 after a while, where as a mac would retain the majority of it's value!

ukwdwnut
14-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I mean that the windows PC would only be worth about 400 after a while, where as a mac would retain the majority of it's value!

yeah i know, i dont pay 400 for a top spec one thats what i meant so god knows how much other pays when they are ripped off in pc world lol

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 06:56 AM
yep fords are **** :lol:

I'm afraid you a re wrong once more 'nut :D

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm afraid you a re wrong once more 'nut :D

and your opinion is right i take it :lol:

it was meant in jest :taunt::taunt::taunt::taunt: they are ok all look the same tho, still dont like em never have

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 09:12 AM
thats it all gang up on me

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :lol:

Claire
15-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't say no to a GT40.

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Indeed, and I have to stick up for them as my Dad worked for Fords all his life - they tend to be very well engineered and handle very nicely - much better than any French manufacturers I can assure you

We went off them for a while but Lisas S-MAX 2.5l turbo goes very nicely - thank you very much ;)

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't say no to a GT40.

bit different from a run of the mil fiesta me thinks :lol:

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Indeed, and I have to stick up for them as my Dad worked for Fords all his life - they tend to be very well engineered and handle very nicely - much better than any French manufacturers I can assure you

We went off them for a while but Lisas S-MAX 2.5l turbo goes very nicely - thank you very much ;)

go to agree with you there mate on the french motors....now if the smax has the same seating config as a zafira then id be interested

they are a different kettle of fish from a few yrs back yes totally agree :)

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 10:13 AM
it does indeed the back sseats fold into the floor

and as an MPV to go from 0-60 in 7.4 seconds means it moves a bit too :D

josh.p.
15-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Dad has the same car!! I love it. He had a lexus is200 sports before that but when Niamh came along he upgraded to a bigger car as the lexus couldn't fit a baby seat in :rotfl: I must say I do prefer the looks of the lexus but for long journeys you can't beat the s-max! It's SOO comfortable!

tb2830
15-05-2009, 11:12 AM
i hate windows and specially vista i have nothing but trouble with all of them ....im certainly going to get a mac once ive sorted my holiday out.

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 11:46 AM
it does indeed the back sseats fold into the floor

and as an MPV to go from 0-60 in 7.4 seconds means it moves a bit too :D

how many seats in all chris....when i was looking for a motability car i looked at the cmax nope didnt like it at all

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 11:47 AM
i hate windows and specially vista i have nothing but trouble with all of them ....im certainly going to get a mac once ive sorted my holiday out.

did you ever get that software to work trace, i still dont have a prob with it works everytime i install it, must of been just your lappy :lol:

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 12:58 PM
7 Seats in an Smax of which 2 fold down in the back and it is the same size as a Galaxy - a lot bigger car than a Zafira - decent boot even with all seats up

I think the whole windows/mac thing would have been an entirely different debate if we hadn't all been trained and programmed to use windows for the last decade

if you took a computer 'virgin' and plopped them down infront of both machines they would in my opinion be able to do more and nderstand more easily on the mac. I have used windows all of my working life Mick and I'm not having a go - its just the plain fact that I have been so very impressed by an entirely different system in a short period of time - I have XP running in paralells on the macbook pro which I have to do for my astro stuff - but already I wish I didn't have to

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 02:08 PM
ok cool, im gonna go on the motability site for a look and see how much the advanced payment is and compare the two

mate i know your not having a go :hug2:[man hug :wink:]

ive not been on a mac for a couple of years now so not sen the new os's....my opinions are from my own experiences and ive not had any problems that all im saying and i dont think windows is as bad as its made out, but that might just be b'cos ppl say that coz the macox is so much better, untill i have played with it i have no opinion on it just now that its good :) and i have tons of software for windows too :D

Tink
15-05-2009, 03:09 PM
OOoOOOOooOOOoooOO!!! MAN HUGS!!! :D :D :D :lol:

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 03:12 PM
:dozey:

We are comfortable with that young lady , it is a shame you are not

:wink:

Tink
15-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Uhhhhhh, who said I wasn't comfortable with it? :D :D :D

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I would prefer my man love not to be highlighted though :wink:

wonder why the logo is an apple with a bit out of it - does it mean that to own an Apple is in essence original sin - hmmmm

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 03:31 PM
OOoOOOOooOOOoooOO!!! MAN HUGS!!! :D :D :D :lol:

:unsure: :lol:

tb2830
15-05-2009, 05:39 PM
did you ever get that software to work trace, i still dont have a prob with it works everytime i install it, must of been just your lappy :lol:

nope wasnt my lappy infact the whole windows issue is a problem on all five laptops in the house

and even thou i have a 250gb hard drive the stupid stystem still freezes when you do anything even with the 3gb memory

Britchick
15-05-2009, 05:39 PM
i like fords! i have a CMAX and it's very practical and surprisingly nippy.

josh.p.
15-05-2009, 06:56 PM
ok cool, im gonna go on the motability site for a look and see how much the advanced payment is and compare the two

mate i know your not having a go :hug2:[man hug :wink:]

ive not been on a mac for a couple of years now so not sen the new os's....my opinions are from my own experiences and ive not had any problems that all im saying and i dont think windows is as bad as its made out, but that might just be b'cos ppl say that coz the macox is so much better, untill i have played with it i have no opinion on it just now that its good :) and i have tons of software for windows too :D
Speak to me on MSN if you want to know about mac software :thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Speak to me on MSN if you want to know about mac software :thumbsup:

lol ok mate

ukwdwnut
15-05-2009, 10:39 PM
nope wasnt my lappy infact the whole windows issue is a problem on all five laptops in the house

and even thou i have a 250gb hard drive the stupid stystem still freezes when you do anything even with the 3gb memory

are they all the same makes trace, what makes are they i cant remember what you had back then

tb2830
16-05-2009, 08:57 AM
are they all the same makes trace, what makes are they i cant remember what you had back then

that software did work on my new laptop so it must of been aol as i ve since changed provider
but i still have loads of problems with windows vista and all the kids have windows xp

ukwdwnut
16-05-2009, 09:22 AM
that software did work on my new laptop so it must of been aol as i ve since changed provider
but i still have loads of problems with windows vista and all the kids have windows xp

AOL is such a pain in the ass really is. its funny how some people have problems and some dont, not sure if its just the hardware thats not good in whatever brand of lappy.......now its sounding like windows is **** :lol: but i really have had no problems with vista whatsoever. to that i will add there are laptops and there are laptop, and you only get what you pay for. im a big fan of vista, but it still doesnt stop me from wanting a mac too as i have done for a few years still looking on ebay lol

Tink
16-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Well man love should be the highlight of many a person's life! :yes: :D :D

Vista! Mick, I have to tell you, I've had nothing but the worst trouble with Vista. Thank heaven, thank heaven, thank heaven that work took it off and we are running xp.

As for the bite from the apple? The tree of all knowledge, eh? :yes: :D :D Not to mention it was a woman that had the courage to eat the fruit from the tree, but we won't go there! :lol:

Apple is wicked intuitive, that is why here in this country they took off in schools so very fast. :yes: Plus, they were a great price for institutions. Even SU was an Apple school. :yes:

ukwdwnut
16-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Well man love should be the highlight of many a person's life! :yes: :D :D

Vista! Mick, I have to tell you, I've had nothing but the worst trouble with Vista. Thank heaven, thank heaven, thank heaven that work took it off and we are running xp.

As for the bite from the apple? The tree of all knowledge, eh? :yes: :D :D Not to mention it was a woman that had the courage to eat the fruit from the tree, but we won't go there! :lol:

Apple is wicked intuitive, that is why here in this country they took off in schools so very fast. :yes: Plus, they were a great price for institutions. Even SU was an Apple school. :yes:

yeah i know macs are huge over there, every pc you see on tv is a mac :) i know they are great machines ive never doubted that, and one of the things thats so good about them is that they suffer no viruses that has to be a good thing. we have no macs in the school whatsoever. as i said funny how some people have problems and others dont

OK I GIVE IN MACS ARE BETTER THAN PC's

:lol:

Tink
16-05-2009, 09:36 AM
:lol: :hug2:

Mick! I do so love your spirit, sense of humor and willingness to see the other person's point of view!!! :yes: :hug2:

ukwdwnut
16-05-2009, 09:43 AM
:lol: :hug2:

Mick! I do so love your spirit, sense of humor and willingness to see the other person's point of view!!! :yes: :hug2:

:lol: very rare will i say no your wrong, everyone has their own opinions and experiences which has been good or bad :)

sometimes i will just go against somethings said on purpose to have a laugh and a bit of a wind up BUT will alway say after....its all fun....sorry i just have a warped sense of humour sometimes

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

:hug2::hug2:

josh.p.
16-05-2009, 10:58 AM
:thud: Surely the apocalypse is coming?!

catrancher
18-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't know if any of you have seen it, but Apple has been running PC vs. Mac ads on various internet media sites. Here's a couple of interesting ones I think. Rather an interesting use of "new media":

This from the "Wired" web site:
<center>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OlkLuuxmPOQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OlkLuuxmPOQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
</center>

And this from the NY Times web site:
<center>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzWLUknuI-I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzWLUknuI-I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
</center>

Fascinating!

Tom (:macwave:... who's easily entertained!)

Dawn
18-05-2009, 05:49 PM
He's so busy playing with the new toy he's forgotten about the half-finished trip report... :evil:

josh.p.
18-05-2009, 06:15 PM
He's so busy playing with the new toy he's forgotten about the half-finished trip report... :evil:
Or perhaps the rest of it is in a stunning iMovie presentation?! :unsure:

catrancher
28-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I think my DD used the requirement of a Mac for her major to help her decide upon Longwood University. Macs are required for all BFA majors!

If you haven't gotten it yet, Apple now has a Back to School special going. Buy a Mac and get a free iPod Touch. Details here (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school?cid=WWW-NAUS-BTS20090507-00033).

HTH

Tom (:macwave:... OK. Now that's done, cocktail anyone?)

Watchinherskip
28-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Well DD Alex is off to her prom tomorrow night and we are popping over to the Apple store at MacArthur Mall to get her her Ibook. Tom I went to the site last night and yup...a free touch..well the 8 gig one anyway. You can pay $70 and get the 16 gig one or something like a hundred more and get the 32 version.

So we are looking at the 13 in MacBook 2.4 ghz 2GB DDR3 RAM, 250 GB hard drive and 3 years of Apple Care.

Now for you Mac Folks..very important question :unsure: Maybe deserves its own post...

I works or the Office Suite? Any experiences with them? Short comings?

catrancher
28-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I works or the Office Suite? Any experiences with them? Short comings?

iWork or MS Office? :questionmark:

For me, it's no contest. iWork win's hands down. iWork is so much more elegant than Office it's not even funny. And, you can do things with iWork that you can only dream about with MS Office. iWork has the capability of reading Office documents so if someone sends her a Word document, she can read and edit it in the iWork version of Word (called Pages). Seriously, I have both iWork and MS Office on my Mac. I've had Office since before Apple released iWork. Since I've gotten iWork, I've only had one time that I've "had" to use Office. And that was because someone had insisted on putting what's called an ActiveX control into an Excel spreadsheet. Other than that, I don't touch MS Office any more on my Mac.

Ohhh... and iWork is significantly less expensive than MS Office. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... she'll love Keynote, Pages, and Numbers... the iWork applications)

keith
28-05-2009, 05:56 PM
iWork for me too, it's a joy to use :yes:

Watchinherskip
28-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I was thinking that way Keith and Tom. Def. leaning that way. I read the reviews for both software titles on the Apple pages and there were a lot of unhappy Office users - kept locking up and losing stuff.

The cost is a big difference. The education bundle for the I works cost $71 with a $30 off coupon for college bound students. Hard to pass it up. Only down side is after talking to her university, most students have Office and the help desk is sort of set up to support MS. Maybe it needs it and Iworks doesn't?:wiggle:

I know they have a presentation title, sort of like Powerpoint. Is it easy to use and can you run PP on Iworks? Seems like most presentations for class are done on PPoint.

catrancher
28-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I know they have a presentation title, sort of like Powerpoint. Is it easy to use and can you run PP on Iworks? Seems like most presentations for class are done on PPoint.

The iWork version of PowerPoint is called Keynote. And yes, you can use it to read or edit PowerPoint presentations. Even save the edited presentation in PowerPoint format so if you have to give the presentation back to someone who only has Office, it will still work.

Here's the actual breakdown of the applications:

Word processing in MS Office is "Word"; in iWork, it's "Pages"
Spreadsheet in MS Office is "Excel"; in iWork, it's "Numbers"
Presentation in MS Office is "PowerPoint"; in iWork it's "Keynote"

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more information.

Tom (:macwave:... more Apple goodness!)

keith
28-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Keynote in iwork will do PP :yes:

Office on a mac is a nightmare for me :( only thing that doesnt work well on a mac for me in fact. Almost every time I install it I get database errors within a few days. I mean I hardly use it so how it gets corrupted I dont know.

iWork is just a joy to use by comparison

catrancher
28-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh... and one other thing (with apologies to Steve Jobs).

PDF (as in Adobe PDF) is a native file format on the Mac. What this means and the benefit it has is that if she creates presentations, documents, or anything in iWork or any other program (even Office), she can create a PDF of that document as easily as if she were printing it. In fact, that's exactly how you do it. You choose "Print" off the menu but instead of hitting the "OK" button in the Print dialog box, you choose another option that's there called "Save as PDF". Then any document she'd produce could be read universally.

Quite handy actually. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... who's not above stealing a good tag line!)

keith
28-05-2009, 06:47 PM
PDF (as in Adobe PDF) is a native file format on the Mac. What this means and the benefit it has is that if she creates presentations, documents, or anything in iWork or any other program (even Office), she can create a PDF of that document as easily as if she were printing it. In fact, that's exactly how you do it. You choose "Print" off the menu but instead of hitting the "OK" button in the Print dialog box, you choose another option that's there called "Save as PDF". Then any document she'd produce could be read universally.

yep yep yep

Easy to read this and not understand how significant it is. On the pc I'm forever having web browser crashes with adobe pdf reader. The mac reads/writes pdfs natively as Tom says and this makes it ideal for document sharing.

Tom, I'm SURE we should be on commission?

ukwdwnut
28-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Tom, I'm SURE we should be on commission?

you should be on something, thats for sure :wink: :laugh:

keith
28-05-2009, 06:51 PM
you should be on something, thats for sure :wink: :laugh:

You will all become one with the mac. Resistance is futile.

catrancher
28-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Resistance is futile.

So sayeth Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz!

Tom(:macwave:... Oh dear. I've just discovered that there's a Vogon Poetry generator app for iPhone)

catrancher
28-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm SURE we should be on commission?

And here I thought it was our sacred duty to spread the gospel and evangelize to the unwashed masses. :mental:
Now you tell me we're supposed to be getting PAID. I guess I'm just not living right!

Tom (:macwave:... there's that pain in my diodes again!)

ukwdwnut
28-05-2009, 07:06 PM

You will all become one with the mac. Resistance is futile.

see thats the thing im not resisting id luv a mac, and i think id have had one by now if you had got your finger out of your ass 2yr ago :wink: :lol:

keith
28-05-2009, 07:10 PM

see thats the thing im not resisting id luv a mac, and i think id have had one by now if you had got your finger out of your ass 2yr ago :wink: :lol:

What can I say! It's my sacred duty to home my apple macs with true believers. We need to see much more apple worship before we can approve your adoption of one ;)

catrancher
28-05-2009, 07:15 PM
<center>:sitsback:</center>

Tom(:macwave:... I got 5 bucks on the big guy!)

ukwdwnut
28-05-2009, 07:22 PM
What can I say! It's my sacred duty to home my apple macs with true believers. We need to see much more apple worship before we can approve your adoption of one ;)

:lol:....worship as in :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:, not a bloody chance in hell mate :wink: :laugh:

keith
28-05-2009, 07:26 PM
:lol:....worship as in :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:, not a bloody chance in hell mate :wink: :laugh:

:nono:

ukwdwnut
28-05-2009, 07:31 PM
:nono:

oops is that a formal tellin off, shall i edit?

keith
28-05-2009, 07:32 PM
oops is that a formal tellin off, shall i edit?

no :lol: it's fine but honestly, you'll HAVE to get a macbook :yes:

ukwdwnut
28-05-2009, 07:44 PM
no :lol: it's fine but honestly, you'll HAVE to get a macbook :yes:

i will one day dont worry. but ive decided im gonna replace my kits lens with the 17-85IS first :wink:...what did you say a while back make sure its a UK spec one?

keith
28-05-2009, 07:48 PM
i will one day dont worry. but ive decided im gonna replace my kits lens with the 17-85IS first :wink:...what did you say a while back make sure its a UK spec one?

:yes: yep, warranty issues with non-uk lenses abound! don't take the chance with an import

ukwdwnut
28-05-2009, 08:06 PM
:yes: yep, warranty issues with non-uk lenses abound! don't take the chance with an import

yeah thats what i thought. thx mate

Watchinherskip
29-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Keynote in iwork will do PP :yes:

Office on a mac is a nightmare for me :( only thing that doesnt work well on a mac for me in fact. Almost every time I install it I get database errors within a few days. I mean I hardly use it so how it gets corrupted I dont know.

iWork is just a joy to use by comparison

You guys would have to bring the Borg into this right!:tongue:

I appreciate your input. Off to get her computer tomorrow night.:surrender:
Thanks Tom and Keith

ukwdwnut
29-05-2009, 09:58 AM
You guys would have to bring the Borg into this right!:tongue:

I appreciate your input. Off to get her computer tomorrow night.:surrender:
Thanks Tom and Keith

get a tosh :wink: :laugh:

josh.p.
29-05-2009, 11:11 AM
get a tosh :wink: :laugh:
Have to say... that's the biggest load of TOSH I've ever heard! :point:

Skywatcher
29-05-2009, 12:41 PM
This thread still seems to be going :laugh: why are people still buying PC's :unsure:

josh.p.
29-05-2009, 12:59 PM
This thread still seems to be going :laugh: why are people still buying PC's :unsure:
Not sure... BUT I converted a non-believer yesterday. Went to set up a network for someone and they where also looking for a new computer and wanted recomendations... they are going to the apple store some time during the week :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
29-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I feel part of an elite club now - went into PC world in Tunbridge wells and they have an 'Apple Corner' which just looks sooo slick compared with the rest of the store

I enjoyed being in there

When the pC blows up I am seriously thinking about replacing it with a Mac - I think there is far less chance of my 8 year old breaking it by clicking on the multiple popups that come up all the time on windows - gawd knows what settings he has changed when I havent been looking

josh.p.
29-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I feel part of an elite club now - went into PC world in Tunbridge wells and they have an 'Apple Corner' which just looks sooo slick compared with the rest of the store

I enjoyed being in there

When the pC blows up I am seriously thinking about replacing it with a Mac - I think there is far less chance of my 8 year old breaking it by clicking on the multiple popups that come up all the time on windows - gawd knows what settings he has changed when I havent been looking
iMac!!!!

Skywatcher
29-05-2009, 04:25 PM
probably is that what we call the desktop version :unsure:

Britchick
29-05-2009, 07:47 PM
at an opportune moment i mentioned that i 'needed' a Mac desktop and when our desktop dies why doesn't Jon get one? he still wants his PC so isn't adversed to me getting one :tongue:

i can hear my lappie creaking as i type..............oh dear :tongue:

josh.p.
29-05-2009, 11:26 PM
at an opportune moment i mentioned that i 'needed' a Mac desktop and when our desktop dies why doesn't Jon get one? he still wants his PC so isn't adversed to me getting one :tongue:

i can hear my lappie creaking as i type..............oh dear :tongue:
Wouldn't it be a shame if a nice big glass of wine got spilt all over it!! :rotfl:

ukwdwnut
30-05-2009, 11:06 AM

thats cos most of the brands they sell are rubbish :D

catrancher
30-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Ahhh... Mick! C'mon, don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

tb2830
30-05-2009, 01:04 PM

all of the brands but the apple are rubbish

ukwdwnut
30-05-2009, 04:47 PM

obviously you have no idea of pc/laptop hardware :taunt: :wink: :lol:

ukwdwnut
30-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Ahhh... Mick! C'mon, don't be shy. Tell us how you really feel! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

:lol: there are only a few brands id say are any good to buy from PCW or anywhere else come to think of it.

from configuring/installing/maintaining all the big manufactures in the workplace i have quite a bit of experience in the field...even HP are totally different from their business and home machines

josh.p.
30-05-2009, 11:23 PM
probably is that what we call the desktop version :unsure:
Yup! It is my weapon of choice and comes highly reccomended. It has 1 wire- the power lead (thats if you get the wireless keyboard) it is just so compact and sooo nice :wiggle:

tb2830
31-05-2009, 07:22 PM
obviously you have no idea of pc/laptop hardware :taunt: :wink: :lol:

i know more than you think.............and ive certainly had my fair share of laptops all of which have been naff

Dawn
31-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Most sensible post in this thread. :evil:

josh.p.
31-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Most sensible post in this thread. :evil:
:thud: was that being sarcastic or have you finally seen the light? :unsure:

Watchinherskip
01-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Well it is done then. Friday night when DD was at her prom we went to the apple store. We were looking at the mac book and mac book pro. We went with the pro due to DD's declared art major/visual arts requirements. We bought the three years warranty (Icare I believe it is called), IWorks, and got the "free" Ipod touch for her. $2500 before the $229 rebate!:jawdrop: I know this was the right option for her. So now at least one of the family has joined the dark side.:tongue:

josh.p.
01-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Well it is done then. Friday night when DD was at her prom we went to the apple store. We were looking at the mac book and mac book pro. We went with the pro due to DD's declared art major/visual arts requirements. We bought the three years warranty (Icare I believe it is called), IWorks, and got the "free" Ipod touch for her. $2500 before the $229 rebate!:jawdrop: I know this was the right option for her. So now at least one of the family has joined the dark side.:tongue:
Doe she know that you've bought it yet? :thud: that's amazing!

catrancher
01-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Did that include the Apple Education discount? I know that Apple has a discount program for higher education students and faculty. Here's the info about it at the Apple store:

Higher Education (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/)

Tom (:macwave:... I know she'll like it!)

ukwdwnut
01-06-2009, 10:50 AM
i know more than you think.............and ive certainly had my fair share of laptops all of which have been naff

i know you know quite a bit, im not doubting that at all, you are probably one of the most knowledgable woman i know on computers....what i said before was meant tongue in cheek trace you should know that by now....maybe youve just bought naff brands we have 4 toshibas in the house and never had a problem with any even the old work one which ive still got from 1998 :lol:

Watchinherskip
01-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Doe she know that you've bought it yet? :thud: that's amazing!

No, not yet. She was really stoked when upon meeting her faculty at the accepted students event in May to find that fine arts majors must have a mac. Her eyes got wide and was really happy about that. She doesn't know that we went with the pro option. I think she was thinking that she would just get the little white one. I think she will freak.:wiggle:

Watchinherskip
01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Did that include the Apple Education discount? I know that Apple has a discount program for higher education students and faculty. Here's the info about it at the Apple store:

Higher Education (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/)

Tom (:macwave:... I know she'll like it!)
Yes, she got it -$100 off the computer 30% off the service contract and the Iworks sold for something like $50 instead of the normal $80. The Ipod touch had to be paid for and will be refunded to make it a "free" Ipod.

catrancher
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes, she got it -$100 off the computer 30% off the service contract and the Iworks sold for something like $50 instead of the normal $80. The Ipod touch had to be paid for and will be refunded to make it a "free" Ipod.

Oh good! Just wanted to be sure you got all the discounts that were available. :yes:

She's gonna love it! Now, we've just gotta get you one! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... Hello! I'm a Mac!)

Disneybumble
01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Dan does she know yet.

Watchinherskip
01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Siobhan, no I don't think so. The university gave us a list of acceptable computers for the fine arts majors and I think she believes that she will be getting a mac but a lower end one. I don't think she is aware of the Ipod touch offer. That on top of the higher end computer should be quite a good surprise for her.:thumbsup:

Watchinherskip
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh good! Just wanted to be sure you got all the discounts that were available. :yes:

She's gonna love it! Now, we've just gotta get you one! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... Hello! I'm a Mac!)
Funny you should mention it Tom. I get a laptop from work but I don't have administrator's rights so it is very inflexible. I told DW that when our desktop computer goes that I would like to replace it with a comprable Mac.

catrancher
01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Funny you should mention it Tom. I get a laptop from work but I don't have administrator's rights so it is very inflexible. I told DW that when our desktop computer goes that I would like to replace it with a comprable Mac.

I've got Administrators rights on my work laptop and I still can't stand the thing! :thumbsdown:

That's why I use my MacBook Pro for most all of my "real" work that requires anything more than email. Then I just email a copy to myself. Crude, but effective. :mental:

If you get a Mac desktop (iMac I assume), I can just about guarantee that you're gonna love it! Don't believe me? Just ask Skywatcher! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... iChat is your personal "keep in touch" tool!)

Watchinherskip
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Well Tom, may have to be a while, I am in my master's program too. So with two college tuitions to pay...not much left for a lot of purchasing. Praying that our cars hold up and our computers too.:tongue:

Watchinherskip
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Well DD graduated Tuesday night and she got her Mac Book Pro. She was just floored! She said it was the best gift she ever got (then thought about the D60 Nikon kit we got her...hehe:tongue:) and said it was a tie. She loves it. I want to get the picture of her opening the wrapping posted...maybe today or tomorrow.:thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
11-06-2009, 06:15 PM
cool well done dans DD :D

Britchick
11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Well DD graduated Tuesday night and she got her Mac Book Pro. She was just floored! She said it was the best gift she ever got (then thought about the D60 Nikon kit we got her...hehe:tongue:) and said it was a tie. She loves it. I want to get the picture of her opening the wrapping posted...maybe today or tomorrow.:thumbsup:

sigh................ i still want you to be my Dad!! :worship:

Watchinherskip
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
sigh................ i still want you to be my Dad!! :worship:

You crack me up!!!:tongue:

As promised...here she is and she was floored! Literally.

Watchinherskip
11-06-2009, 09:54 PM
cool well done dans DD :D
Thank you mate. I am as proud as a peacock.:wiggle:

catrancher
12-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Great piccies, Dan!

Congratulations on a job well done! :thumbsup:

BTW - I love the second to last one where Alex is truly "floored"!

Tom (:macwave:... Ok... who do we convert next?)

josh.p.
12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Excellent pics, looks like a brilliant day was had by all! She is truly astounded about that MBP! She is a very lucky girl. Well done to her for graduation.

Josh

ukwdwnut
12-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Thank you mate. I am as proud as a peacock.:wiggle:

awwww man you must be soooooooo proud of her and rightly so

she dont look that happy with the lappy she said she wanted a tosh i bet :wink: :laugh:

my boy leaves college today then onto uni in sept, just didnt think he wanted to go a year ago but he is so doing well im proud as punch :)

Disneybumble
12-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Great pictures Dan. I was wondering if you had given it to her yet.

Watchinherskip
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks Josh, Tom, DB....it was a great day to be sure.

Mick, she was speechless, maybe for the first time in her life!:tongue: She stammered and all. She was totally taken with it.

Congrats on your boy mate, well done! It feels wonderful to feel so proud of your kids. :yes:

Kudos Mick's boy!

ukwdwnut
13-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Josh, Tom, DB....it was a great day to be sure.

Mick, she was speechless, maybe for the first time in her life!:tongue: She stammered and all. She was totally taken with it.

Congrats on your boy mate, well done! It feels wonderful to feel so proud of your kids. :yes:

Kudos Mick's boy!

awwwww luv her :)

it sure does what with lauren doing so well in her new beauty room as well im off the wall i can tell you :D

Skywatcher
15-06-2009, 06:48 AM
:lol: awesome mate