PDA

View Full Version : Off to see the Wizard...

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Well actually off to see Wicked tonight in Norfolk. We got DD Alex the tickets back in January for her birthday. I just realized that today is the day!

I know some of you have seen it. This is a national touring company. I hope they pull it off. Last touring one we saw was Lion King and it was AWESOME!

Britchick
13-05-2009, 04:49 PM
wow!! i'm jealous, hope you have a fab time

MystikPiglit
13-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Have a great evening!

Slowhand
13-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I REALLY hope you enjoy the show Dan...especially as my DW have tickets to see it in London tomorrow evening. :lol:

lisaw
13-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Have a fantastic time! Pack the Kleenex :D

Dizneyblonde
13-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I wanna go!

Have a fab time.

Britchick
13-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I wanna go!

Have a fab time.

we're going dumbo! :tongue:

Dizneyblonde
13-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah but not tonight!

Britchick
13-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah but not tonight!

it will be all the better for waiting, i promise!

Isafari
13-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Have a good night :thumbsup:

Johnie
13-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Have a great time Dan! We're going to see it again on Sunday afternnon.

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks all! Looking forward to tonight. Weird, I sort of forgot about it, well that made the time pass faster I guess!

Popping in for a quick dinner somewhere tonight. I will leave the place to Alex since the evening is part of her birthday present.

Lisa...pack kleenex Oh Boy....:sorry:

DW said we have to get her her t shirt - she likes them.

Johnie...too bad we didn't hit it the same night.

Pretty cool we will be seeing the shows in VA and in UK....

lisaw
13-05-2009, 05:46 PM
The Tshirts are fab! I love the umbrellas as well :D

foreverducky
13-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Have fun Dan! It's a great show and goes by very quickly! :D

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Time flies when your having fun...or is it monkeys fly...hmmmmm

Should be awesome. When did you see it Billie?

foreverducky
13-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Here's a photo my cousin took of the stage when I went in 2007. A little tease of good things to come Dan
3227.vB

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 06:29 PM
This is going to be SWEET.

Britchick
13-05-2009, 06:32 PM
This is going to be SWEET.
:yes:

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I REALLY hope you enjoy the show Dan...especially as my DW have tickets to see it in London tomorrow evening. :lol:

Hey that is really cool. We must compare our reviews...ok, here is a dumb American question. Will the actors have British accents or will they do in with American accents. Just askin;:unsure:

foreverducky
13-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Time flies when your having fun...or is it monkeys fly...hmmmmm

Should be awesome. When did you see it Billie?

I saw it 2007 in Tampa. The theatre was awesome and I was blown away at how fantastic the show was.

Johnie
13-05-2009, 06:43 PM
The actors in NYC all spoke with an American accent so I imagine they will in Norfolk as well.

It was truly a phenomenal show Dan. If you love the Wizard of Oz, you will be in for lots of surprises too.

Ohhh I forgot all about souveniers.....off to count my money......

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 06:46 PM
The actors in NYC all spoke with an American accent so I imagine they will in Norfolk as well.

It was truly a phenomenal show Dan. If you love the Wizard of Oz, you will be in for lots of surprises too.

Ohhh I forgot all about souveniers.....off to count my money......
:tongue: No kidding there! You saw it on Broadway..wow...hope this tour is a good group. Johnie, are you going to try to eat somewhere around Granby Street? Let me know if you need a recommendation - can't go wrong with Freemason Abby.

I was sort of asking Terri if the UK show would have a British accent.

Johnie
13-05-2009, 06:47 PM
:tongue: oh gotcha!

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Johnie, do you have a big crew going Sunday?

Johnie
13-05-2009, 07:02 PM
No, it's just 2 of us going to the play. Krista is thinking of driving down from Delaware to go with me. If so, she's bringing the kidlets and Alysia is taking them to the zoo or Nauticus (if it rains).

Watchinherskip
13-05-2009, 08:02 PM
That sounds like a plan.

*Bambi-Belle*
14-05-2009, 12:15 PM
We have booked to go to London to see it in November. Can't wait.

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Well the show last night was excellent! Billie, the stage front looked just like the one you sent. We went out to eat at Guadilajara (sp?) on Granby Street. Food was ok, service was terrible! I don't think they were aware of the amount of business Wicked was bringing in. I came to find out that most of the people there then went to Wicked. I like to peope watch and Sally and I were picking them out. Sally got the biggest margarita I have ever seen and it packed a punch. Had to help her finish it.:tongue:

Chrysler Hall isn't intimate but the show still convey well. Lisa warned me to bring kleenex but big boys don't cry. DW and DD may have needed it. As promised there are some surprises (although being forwarned I played detective and was just one jump ahead of the storyline).

The lead Elphaba was just a tremendous talent. Looking at the program I saw that she was a Cast Member at Disney. I am sure her talent shown there and it wasn't long until she was on Broadway. She just finished a run as Elphaba on Broadway. Man can that girl sing!

Glinda was very good too and her song "Popular" (DD's favorite) stole the show.

The Wizard was recognizable as he had recurring roles on Fraiser and a few other TV shows. His Who's Who had an interesting tid bit. He thanked his wife, and kids especially his young daughter who introduced him to Wicked. It seems that she and a friend played Wicked in the back yard all summer in 2004.

It was a great idea to do the back story to the Wizard of Oz. Baum would be proud.

Johnie..you are in for a treat! For those going to the show in London, you will just love it too. (now if someone could answer if the UK show's actors have British accents...not that that really matters..just curious)

lisaw
14-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Glad you enjoyed it!

The leads had (put on) American accents in London :)

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Glad you enjoyed it!

The leads had (put on) American accents in London :)

Thanks for the information Lisa! I wondered about that being sort of set in a mythical land not too far from Kansas.

I found this review of sorts from our local paper.

Something 'Wicked' this way comes | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com (http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/something-wicked-way-comes)

There is a picture with the leads in it.

foreverducky
14-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Glad you had a good time! :D Too bad about that bad food service. Always a bummer when that happens.

Johnie
14-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed it Dan. I can't wait till Sunday. I can't seem to find anyone who can actually go with me though. I feel like I have cooties lol.

Britchick
14-05-2009, 04:02 PM
yes they do Dan :thumbsup: can you ask your wife how handsome fiyero was in your version please :tongue:

Watchinherskip
14-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Sorry about that Johnie, think there were a few people looking for a ticket last night!:yes:

Krista not making it?

Oh, Fiyero, DD Alex thought he was pretty good! Funny we all said he looked just like Gaston from B and the B.

Johnie
14-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Nope, Krista can't make it. Alysia doesn't even want to go. My sister will be celebrating her 1 year anniversary. Everyone else seems to have plans. Maybe I can scalp my extra ticket? lol

Britchick
14-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Nope, Krista can't make it. Alysia doesn't even want to go. My sister will be celebrating her 1 year anniversary. Everyone else seems to have plans. Maybe I can scalp my extra ticket? lol

i wonder if it would be madness to fly out to watch wicked then fly back the next day :lol: i have the airmiles :lol:

Johnie
14-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Of course it would be madness but it would be awesome!!!

Dizneyblonde
14-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Ooooh i can't wait to see it!

Britchick
14-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Ooooh i can't wait to see it!

we need to start thinking of a date!

Slowhand
17-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Dan, just returned for London where we saw "Wicked" and apart from the Wizard [who had a pseudo US accent], none of the others in the cast had anything other than a British accent. Maybe it was a different cast or format from the earlier experiences of others.:shrug1:

Watchinherskip
18-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Dan, just returned for London where we saw "Wicked" and apart from the Wizard [who had a pseudo US accent], none of the others in the cast had anything other than a British accent. Maybe it was a different cast or format from the earlier experiences of others.:shrug1:

That is very interesting to me. Trying to put it in perspective, sor of like Brideshead Revisited with American accents... guess it would still work.:tongue:

lisaw
18-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Hope it's OK to post this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/76FIcM9QfNw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/76FIcM9QfNw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kerry Ellis was Elphaba when we saw it in April in London - she is English but definitely uses an American Accent.
:)

Pretty sure she has left now though (I know it was May) - I'm sure they all do it the way they think - listening to the original cast it sounds to me like Kerry Ellis tries to sound like Indina Menzel.

Watchinherskip
18-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, I can never see the linked photos on my work computer. I will have a look see this afternoon. Thanks

Slowhand
18-05-2009, 02:26 PM
A girl named Alexia Khadime played the role of Elphaba and she was English through and through.
She had previously played the role of Nana in the Lion King apparently.

Watchinherskip
18-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Ok, so now I have to ask...were all the characters in the Lion King playing with their British accents too?:tongue:

Why do I find this so fascinating?:unsure:

Slowhand
18-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok, so now I have to ask...were all the characters in the Lion King playing with their British accents too?:tongue:

I honestly can`t recall Dan as it was quite a while back since we saw that show. :sorry: