PDA

View Full Version : Thomas' latest cube thingy

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Last night we had a bit of an 'incident' I ordered 2 rather exclusive cube thingies from a place in Hong Kong that do twisty puzzles that my 8 year old Thomas just loves

anyway they did a spcial one for easter called the golden egg

http://www.mefferts.com/products/photos/245_big.jpg

Its pretty big about the size of a pint glass and it moves very nicely along all the lines you can see so when it is scrambled ( ho ho ) it is not even vaguely egg shaped - it was a limited edition and as such noone has been able to put on the internet any solve tutorials or algorithms for him to learn so he has put it in pride of place amongst his other cubes just to look at as its special

Unfortunately last night as I was rading 'Order of the Phoenix' to him in bed he was playing wih it and it well - got very very scrambled.

He was hyper upset and in all honesty went a bit :mental:

I spent an hour online looking for help - joining cube message boards ( they do exist and WOW :eek: ) but noone could help and I ended up e-mailing the inventor last night to ask if he had any tips as Thomas was stumped.

Anyway we calm him down and off to sleep he goes.

Up this morning and I get an e-mail from the inventor saying why did we buy it for an 8 year old and in all honesty the only way he could think to help us was to tell us how to take the thing apart so we could rebuild it as the algorithms are too complicated frohim to explain by e-mail.

I go upstairs to tell the boy this....

and he'd solved it.

:unsure:

help

Dawn
15-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Run...

foreverducky
15-05-2009, 05:03 PM
This is obviously a case of the body snatchers.

Isafari
15-05-2009, 05:09 PM
We need a fainting smiley!

foreverducky
15-05-2009, 05:12 PM
How's this: :thud:

Sky' you may to come to terms that your son is not from Earth. Maybe this has something to do with all that sky watching you have been doing.

catrancher
15-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Print this one out on a slip of paper, throw it in the room with the boy and let's see what he comes up with:

What is the meaning of life?

Just be prepared to run! :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... reserving his spot under the bed)

mumof2
15-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Sky' you may to come to terms that your son is not from Earth. Maybe this has something to do with all that sky watching you have been doing.

ohhh good thinking......:unsure:

and I'll pinch your smiley while I'm at it! :thud:

mumof2
15-05-2009, 05:16 PM
oh, and I hope you email that inventor back and tell him Thomas solved it withouthishelpthankyouverymuch. :yes:

Skywatcher
15-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I did indeed :lol:

Dawn
15-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Still going with the "run" option.

Britchick
15-05-2009, 05:36 PM
bizarre!!!

Claire
15-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

daveann
15-05-2009, 05:53 PM
what a star he is do you realise one day we will all be buying something he has invented and will be saying we knew his dad :)
well done for solving the puzzle

Mari
15-05-2009, 06:08 PM
WOW!

WAY TO GO THOMAS!!!!!!!

Dizneyblonde
15-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Send him down here please to help me put my Dyson back together!

josh.p.
15-05-2009, 07:07 PM
:thud: Whilst quite intimidating, that is an amazing accomplishment. I see a MENSA invite coming towards your household!

Ursula
15-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh wow that is fantabulous! I would be over the moon with joy! What a little star you have there... and no, no puns intended at all. I think he's brilliant!

mumof2
15-05-2009, 07:53 PM
he is amazing isn't he :yes:

Tink
15-05-2009, 09:08 PM
What a kid, Doc. Hugs for the boy!! He is destined for great things. Does he need any more Twinkies to fuel his blood glucose? :D

kazzaqld
15-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I am looking forward to saying "I knew him when..."
:yes:

Dawn
16-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I knew Thomas when he'd throw a tantrum playing mini golf. :rotfl:

Disneybumble
16-05-2009, 12:21 PM
That is superb and l am thrilled you emailed the inventor. I think he should keep that email as evidence that Thomas was the youngest ever to complete it.
Also when you look at schools for Thomas. You seriously need to look at scholarships as any school would be falling over themselves to have a boy with that potential in there school.

mumof2
16-05-2009, 12:23 PM
That is superb and l am thrilled you emailed the inventor. I think he should keep that email as evidence that Thomas was the youngest ever to complete it.
Also when you look at schools for Thomas. You seriously need to look at scholarships as any school would be falling over themselves to have a boy with that potential in there school.

of course! what a good idea Mrs Bumble :thumbsup:

Dawn
16-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Have you looked at Lancing College or is that too far for you? They have music scholarships available.

Tinkfan
16-05-2009, 12:47 PM
:jawdrop::thud:Seriously, has Thomas been tested? I don't know if he frequently has melt downs but often a sign of a brilliant but bored mind in the young. All our children were rather placid!!:ROFL1: He seems to be a rather gifted child. Explore the possibilities!! Try a summer course at a local junior colleege!!

Skywatcher
16-05-2009, 04:18 PM
:sigh: no such support for the gifted on this side of the pond I am afraid

Tinkfan
16-05-2009, 06:54 PM
:sorry: Truly there must be something?! A mind is a terrible thing to waste. ( corny quote I know) What grade is he in?

ukwdwnut
16-05-2009, 07:00 PM
omg thats one clever lad you have chris :)

Skywatcher
16-05-2009, 07:41 PM
:sigh: fraid not hun looked at a lot of stuff - the decision we have come to is that all we really want is for him to be happy and not to 'push him' into becoming some sort of social pariah.

I asked him how he solved it and he said that while he was asleep he was thinking about how they could have made the puzzle and what the internal mechanism must have looked like - he said once he had figured that out it was easy

I don't know how your grades work in the states but he has been at school for 4 years now - we call it year 3 with the 1st year being 'reception'

After another 'interesting' day can confirm he is rubbish at 10 pin bowling and Matthew beat him

which is no bad thing I can tell you :D

uscwest
16-05-2009, 08:20 PM
WOW. I think you have a young man bordering on genius there Chris.

PsychoAlice
16-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Chris darling have you tried this?

NAGC (http://www.nagcbritain.org.uk/)

josh.p.
16-05-2009, 11:34 PM
:sigh: no such support for the gifted on this side of the pond I am afraid
What annoys me is that in this country if he was gifted with kicking a football or swinging a cricket bat then he would have offers from all the colleges already! Why do we live in a society where such trivial things are seen over true potential?

A 'friend' (Term use loosley) of mine is brilliant at Rugby. He got offers from 3 of the local grammar school's colleges in July '08, before he'd even recieved his GCSE results.

He did pass his exams but got C's or D's in everything (except P.E and Humanities) and now goes to a better college than I do. I got 7 A's, 4 B's and a C (which was in P.E since I refused to put any effort in for- it was not optional as our high school was a 'sports college') To get into this college you need an A in English maths and Science- of which he got none.

He is the type of person who will not listen or reason with anyone and must have guessed his way through GCSE's as in each and every subject (except P.E) he got sent out or argued with teachers!

I didn't apply for the better college as my local one is much nearer and it does all the subjects I wanted to do, but if I had then I wouldn't have gotten in anyway!

PsychoAlice
17-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Umm Josh you do not know that you wouldnt have gotten in because you didnt try...so you really cant say that.

So what you all are telling me is Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham and Southampton are not academic universities and they are only Sports universities? I find that kind of hard to believe.

PsychoAlice
17-05-2009, 01:02 AM
And some people just are not good at academics but can do other things (I for one have a learning disability yet I learned a 3rd year college computer sciences class in 3 days because I can do it with my hands) saying things like that is like saying you dont deserve anything because you arent good at sports...that doesnt seem so fair when you put the shoe on the other foot does it?

Taja
17-05-2009, 01:20 AM
What annoys me is that in this country if he was gifted with kicking a football or swinging a cricket bat then he would have offers from all the colleges already! Why do we live in a society where such trivial things are seen over true potential?

A 'friend' (Term use loosley) of mine is brilliant at Rugby. He got offers from 3 of the local grammar school's colleges in July '08, before he'd even recieved his GCSE results.

He did pass his exams but got C's or D's in everything (except P.E and Humanities) and now goes to a better college than I do. I got 7 A's, 4 B's and a C (which was in P.E since I refused to put any effort in for- it was not optional as our high school was a 'sports college') To get into this college you need an A in English maths and Science- of which he got none.

He is the type of person who will not listen or reason with anyone and must have guessed his way through GCSE's as in each and every subject (except P.E) he got sent out or argued with teachers!

I didn't apply for the better college as my local one is much nearer and it does all the subjects I wanted to do, but if I had then I wouldn't have gotten in anyway!

There's a lot of that in the US, as well, Josh. But as Sarah says, we're all good at different things and approach learning differently. And we never know if we'll succeed at something until we try. I'm the polar opposite of PA when it comes to learning methods--I like to read, understand a concept, then apply it! :rolleyes:

But it can be a tad annoying that someone who is good at sports--which isn't supposed to be a career--earns millions of dollars a year while teachers and others who work in the community barely can make ends meet. :sigh:

But we've gone there before in other threads, haven't we? And I'm sure we'll revisit the subject many times in the future! :)

Tinkfan
17-05-2009, 02:51 AM
:sigh: fraid not hun looked at a lot of stuff - the decision we have come to is that all we really want is for him to be happy and not to 'push him' into becoming some sort of social pariah.

I asked him how he solved it and he said that while he was asleep he was thinking about how they could have made the puzzle and what the internal mechanism must have looked like - he said once he had figured that out it was easy

I don't know how your grades work in the states but he has been at school for 4 years now - we call it year 3 with the 1st year being 'reception'

After another 'interesting' day can confirm he is rubbish at 10 pin bowling and Matthew beat him

which is no bad thing I can tell you :D

:wave: That really is too bad, I'm going to assume that he is 8 going to be 9( or just turned 9) Most of our schools, at least the public ones have a gifted and talented program( although they go under many different names as not to damage the childs psyche!!) We also have a variety of summer programs at the local level that combine academics with sports. Our local universities also offer special programs. Even our local zoo and Science museums offer programs. Keep his mind active!! Bowling is also good!!( our youngest is pretty bright as well, sometimes he can be a bit dorky!! His interests are pretty wide, but he is not mechanically inclined at all!!)

Dawn
17-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Our school has a gifted and talented programme.

I still think there is financial aid available but it may only be from 11+

ukwdwnut
17-05-2009, 10:27 AM
josh my boy is on course for distinctions and merits in every subject at college, got good grade gcse's and still got turned down for portmouth uni where he really wanted to go and a guy in his class at college got no gcse' but got in....errrrrmmmmmm how does thwt work go figure. we contacted them and asked why and they wouldnt give a reason...so we just said right if thats how they are we dont want him going there they aint good enough for him, so hes off to brighton instead :)

MystikPiglit
17-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Pssst...perhaps you shouldn't be letting people know about your little genius. Watch out for the men in black...... :hide:

josh.p.
17-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Umm Josh you do not know that you wouldnt have gotten in because you didnt try...so you really cant say that.

So what you all are telling me is Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham and Southampton are not academic universities and they are only Sports universities? I find that kind of hard to believe.
Umm.. I do know as I only just met the criteria (I only got a B in maths), and there are about 4x more applicants than there are places, their minimum specs are B's in all subjects but you are unlikely to get in with just B's because of the sheer majority of people wanting to go there.

College here is different from universities. To get to university it is based on, firstly your results, and secondly any extra-curriculum activities you can do :yes: However, sports scholarships are available.

And some people just are not good at academics but can do other things (I for one have a learning disability yet I learned a 3rd year college computer sciences class in 3 days because I can do it with my hands) saying things like that is like saying you dont deserve anything because you arent good at sports...that doesnt seem so fair when you put the shoe on the other foot does it?
It isn't about his academics though, that's not the point. My point was that he got in to a college simply because they wanted him on their rugby team- he did not meet the criteria, and people with straight A's got turned down because they where full. They have a set intake from their high-school, where your GCSE results become irrelevant (so if you go to their high school you instantly have a place in their college) and the rest of the intake is from 'outsiders' who have strict policies on getting in.