PDA

View Full Version : Disney in the Nation's Capitol

Watchinherskip
20-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Just heard about a new Disney hotel/conference center being developed near DC. They said that no theme park will be part of the plan. They ran into a stink over building a park near Manassas a few years ago, but I don't think there will be a lot of objection to the newest development.

Disney hotel could boost or hit D.C. tourism - Washington Times (http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/20/disney-hotel-could-boost-or-hit-dc-tourism/)

catrancher
20-05-2009, 02:01 PM
And see the opening splash page here:

National Harbor (http://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/consumer.htm)

Tom (:macwave:... a new reason to visit D.C.)

Watchinherskip
20-05-2009, 03:27 PM
What is up with these faux cities? They put two of these things in our area. One in Virginia Beach and one in Newport News. At least in our area they remind me of a Las Vegas sort of thing. They are trying to recreate a city centered theme. Why not just re invest in our actual cities? Ok off the soapbox.:arg:

catrancher
20-05-2009, 03:29 PM
:yeahthat:

Tom (:macwave:... a bit tired of "yet another development")

Johnie
20-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh I remember the problems when Disney wanted to do the historical park here in VA.

Well if the other cities are anything like Richmond, there is too much political bs to deal with to do anything good for the city. I think that's why they build these new developments.

Watchinherskip
20-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Good point Johnie. Have you seen the Town Centers here in southside? They are kind of freaky...totally contrived. Now don't get them wrong they are sort of cool, having all the ammenties at one location, but that was what cities used to be for. For all purposes, it looks as goofy seeing "sky scrapers" (VA style only 39 floors, but stands out like a sore thumb) Nothing over 3 stories nearby even commercial buildings. You look a them like....why?:unsure:

Johnie
20-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh yes. It never fits in with the surroundings.

Mari
20-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I agree.. however... with the crisis, not many cities can just shut down that kind of investment that easily, dont you think?

Watchinherskip
20-05-2009, 06:13 PM
True Mari, but you get what you get. They look out of place because they ARE out of place. They look temporary to me. Sort of like a mall or something. They look sort of plasticy to me. At least the two city centers around here. The buildings that were built when the cities on the East Coast were being developed were meant to last with classic architecture and made of durable materials...