PDA

View Full Version : Flea question!

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:17 PM
My cat gave birth to 5 beeeautiful kittens last thursday so they are just 6 days old at the moment. Before mum had them i made sure she had been done with her frontline spray as i didnt want them to catch fleas - well, ive just been out chatting to them (as you do!) and noticed a flea on one of them. Im pretty sure that i cant put anything chemical on them at the moment cus they are so little but im also conscious that they are so small and should it get out of hand it could be quite serious.

Soooo, does anyone know of anything i can use on them?

Thank you in advance!

Britchick
20-05-2009, 07:19 PM
no but just wanted to say

:worthless:

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Oooh - hang on, let me see if i can get some on here!

Deb
20-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Kate

First, we need pics of your lovely kittens!! :)

I really would call your vet for advice. It's highly dangerous to apply anything to little ones without advice, and at that age if there was something to give them they would have to be weighed properly so it was enough to help, and not too much to hurt. Fleas can be very bad for littlies :sorry:

There is an ace forum www.catchat.org (http://www.catchat.org) with a forums who have loads of people who know tons about cats! They have a Health section on their forums and they may have better advice However, I suspect they would tell you to contact your vets.

I love kittens!!!! :)

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Im trying to upload some photos, but its taking a long time thinking about it - i expect itll come back telling me they are too large! I will get some on though, promise!

Deb, thanks for that link - i will have a look at it in just a sec. I know they can be really bad in such tiny kittens, when i got 1 of my cats she was absolutely riddled with them and i thought it was very touch and go. She was treated properly though and i sat for practically 2 days picking them off, it was just awful.

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Got this message - what did i do wrong?!!

Deb
20-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Im trying to upload some photos, but its taking a long time thinking about it - i expect itll come back telling me they are too large! I will get some on though, promise!

Deb, thanks for that link - i will have a look at it in just a sec. I know they can be really bad in such tiny kittens, when i got 1 of my cats she was absolutely riddled with them and i thought it was very touch and go. She was treated properly though and i sat for practically 2 days picking them off, it was just awful.

It is awful isn't it? The things we do for our little furry friends! Picking fleas off one at a time :unsure: Yuk! And ticks! Double yuk!!!!!

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:36 PM
But what kind of mummy's would we be to leave them? Actually - as awful as this may sound - i quite enjoy flea picking!
Ticks are just grim though, we used to live by some lovely fields, but the cats picked them up all the time, bleurgh!

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Hope this works!

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Woooooo! I love it when i manage to do things haha! :wiggle:

Deb
20-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh Kate, they're beautiful!!!!! So sweet!!!! Are you keeping them all :D Surely you can't let them go!!!!!! ;)

Mari
20-05-2009, 07:42 PM
We had that problem once with 3week old rescued kittens

What I did.. yes, its yucky... but we did pick fleas one at a time... and combed them with a flea comb daily

When they were about 5 weeks old we gave them a bath

We just filled a bucket with warm water, but the kitten in, all the way up to his neck and held it... one of us would hold the kitten and the other would kill the fleas that immediatly climbed on top of their little heads.... we would then use some baby soap on them and keep them in the warm water for at least 10 minutes...

afterwards we changed all the blankets.... problem solved!!

dont worry about them getting crazy in the water, at least in our case, they were so tiny that it didnt bother them, one of them even fell asleep....

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh my lord no!!! Id truely love to, but i have 4 already, 1 more may might possibly slip through the net though! :wink:

Mari
20-05-2009, 07:43 PM
wow!!

they are GORGEOUS!!

two of my four rescued kittens were the same color as yours :)

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Thank you - they are very beautiful arent they, but im a bit biased!!

Dizneyblonde
20-05-2009, 07:44 PM
OMG they are gorgeous!

Stick one in the post to me please?

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:46 PM
OMG they are gorgeous!

Stick one in the post to me please?

Will do! :thumbsup:

lozzy
20-05-2009, 07:51 PM
OMG how cute are they I would love one but I don't think my cat Chewy would be very pleased with me if I got another cat.

3243.vB

Britchick
20-05-2009, 07:52 PM
can i have the grey one? i've always wanted a grey one:yes:

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:53 PM
He is very beautiful Lozzy! One of my cats is 20 now, she just looks and growls, its as if she's saying "oh god, not another one"!

Kate
20-05-2009, 07:53 PM
can i have the grey one? i've always wanted a grey one:yes:

Yep - you've had first choice! The people who are wanting them havent seen them yet so you've pipped them to the post!

Dizneyblonde
20-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I want the ginger one!

Kate
20-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Thats when it gets tough - there are 4 and they are all just so sweet!
They should be opening their eyes very soon. I was watching them today and the dark ginger and white one was washing his little foot - so sweet!

Figment
20-05-2009, 08:07 PM
OMG! Sooo cute! Jordan and I want all 5....until they get bigger, then you have to take them back. :lol:

Kate
20-05-2009, 08:14 PM
OMG! Sooo cute! Jordan and I want all 5....until they get bigger, then you have to take them back. :lol:

:lol:

Disneybumble
20-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Kate they are so cute. Call the vet but i think they are still to lickle for flea powder or frontline.
Lozzy i have one like your chewy and l have a ginger one.

Dizneyblonde
20-05-2009, 08:32 PM
l have a ginger one.

As Helly isn't here i will try not to :theline:

Disneybumble
20-05-2009, 08:35 PM
As Helly isn't here i will try not to :theline:

Thank you missy:slap: . As i have 3 kidlets and two of them are ginger ,we thought he would match. ............................oh l so want to say something about matching now.

Mari
20-05-2009, 09:30 PM
:) they are all lovely

Lozzy.. what a BEAUTIFUL cat!

lozzy
20-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Kate they are so cute. Call the vet but i think they are still to lickle for flea powder or frontline.
Lozzy i have one like your chewy and l have a ginger one.

A friend of ours has a ginger cat like Chewy which came from the same cat as ours but a different litter.

Dizneyblonde
21-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Thank you missy:slap: . As i have 3 kidlets and two of them are ginger ,we thought he would match. ............................oh l so want to say something about matching now.

LOL all my cats match.They are all black and white.Every cat i have ever had has been black or white or both except the ginger one(Smudge) we had when we first moved to Cornwall which is why i want another ginger one.
Don't think my other 3 would be too impressed with a baby though :(

uscwest
21-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Cute kitties Kate. Interesting considering mum is gray.

Lozzy, your Chewy looks at lot like our Oreo.

Dawn
21-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I want a kitty. Smuggle one to me while Adrian isn't looking please. :D

Kate
21-05-2009, 07:10 PM
They take after their daddy!
Dawn, consider 1 smuggled, might be a problem hiding it after a couple of months though!
The little grey one has managed to open an eye today, Isabelle keeps saying its winking at her! :lol:

Tink
22-05-2009, 02:29 PM
One of the simple pleasures in life is catching up on Secrets threads and finding little kitties hiding in one! :yes:

Pretty babies! Thank you for sharing them with us. Good luck with the fleas though! :eek: Nasty things. :(