PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

ieuanr
03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi there

I have a weighty issue with which I need some assistance - I could do with losing a few pounds. I know all of the theory - eat less and do more excercise.

Seeing as we are making a new start here I thought maybe someone could offer some motivational tips - or should I just borrow some Tony Robbins tapes? :hippo5:

Tink
03-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Funny you should bring this up. :D

I've just had a doctor visit and she's advised me to try yet another weight loss approach. I've some metabolic issues that apparently are making it quite difficult for me to lose the weight that I must.

It's called Medifast and is a meal replacement program. I'm going to give it a go, as I figure it just might work. It's a no brainer and doesn't involve a lot of interaction with your food, which is my problem. I love to cook and one thing leads to another.

So, with this plan, I just open a packet, eat the contents and get on with my day. You need to see your doctor first though, as it's quite low calorie. It's a glycemic index approach and you eat something every 2-3 hours.

Motivation for me? Health and mobility. :sigh;

Dawn
03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Adrian has just lost about 15lbs by buying using the wii fit.

mumof2
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
hey ieuanr! great minds think alike

i was going to post on here about my diet....i lost 2 stones last year which took me over 8 months, i put them all back on again over a period of around 3 months. How silly am I?

it's not the first time i've done that though i must admit.

anyway, i went to slimming club yesterday and have lost my first 1lb of many (fingers crossed) but i soooo fancied an indian takeaway tonight that I had one, i have been excellent all day though and will be now for the rest of the week....

My motivation is the same as Tinks, i also want to be able to buy clothes that actually fit nicely.

Weight is a *very* emotional issue......it helps to chat to others who feel the same way you do, you know they understand what you're going through.

i go to a slimming club once a week - i always managed to lose it on my own before, but need the support from the group now.

i don't have any motivational tips to offer but i'll often be here for a chat if it'll help

mumof2
03-07-2008, 06:47 PM

wow that's brilliant - we got DS a wii for his 13th birthday last August, then he sold it in Feb as he didn't really use it ~ couldn't believe it when we saw the wii fit advertised afterwards :mad:

Tink
03-07-2008, 07:01 PM
mumof2, it's good to have another person doing the same thing! :D I've not received my start up kit yet, but it should arrive sometime next week.

This week I'm aiming for eating healthy, watching portion size and drinking enough water to float a yacht. :sigh;

mumof2
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
oh Tink, it's so hard sometimes isn't it.

the only way I'll ever shift any of this excess is if *I* do something about it ~ I've made all the excuses I can think of now...:lol:

I rejoined my gym a couple of months back and started going 3-4 times a week - phew, that was HARD! I hurt my back a few weeks back and have had problems with my legs but they're passing now so I hope to get back there with a vengeance....if i can just find the energy :wink:

Tink
03-07-2008, 07:21 PM
It is very hard. :( I have to lose some weight before I can even somewhat comfortably exercise. :( I love to walk, but even that has fallen by the wayside. The doc says this new (although it is over 20 years old) approach will help me lose weight fast and then I can step back into the exercise regime.

One saving grace for me is that I do have the pool. I can do water aerobics and the like. I could swim if it weren't for my miserable shoulder. :( See? I have an excuse for everything. :sigh;

Dizneyblonde
03-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I have found that cutting as many carbs out as possible is helping me.

I also drink nothing but water.No tea or coffee or alcohol!!!

Loads of salad and the gym 3 or 4 times a week.

I've lost nearly a stone in a month but it's just not shifting at the moment.
The weight isn't going down but i seem to be toning up as i can fit into some clothes that i haven't worn for ages.

Good luck everyone.

My motivation is my countdown!!!

mumof2
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
It is very hard. :( I have to lose some weight before I can even somewhat comfortably exercise. :( I love to walk, but even that has fallen by the wayside. The doc says this new (although it is over 20 years old) approach will help me lose weight fast and then I can step back into the exercise regime.

One saving grace for me is that I do have the pool. I can do water aerobics and the like. I could swim if it weren't for my miserable shoulder. :( See? I have an excuse for everything. :sigh;

come on, chin up....we'll get there :hug2:

Tink
03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes! We will! Didn't mean to be all flummpy and depressing! :sorry: One step at a time.

DizneyBlonde, that is part of this medifast plan, low carbs. I have to be careful with salad though. I have thyroid issues and lettuce can hold ground water chemicals that slow down the thyroid and that is the LAST thing I need! :eek:

I eat it at home when I am assured the ingredients are organic, but not out because I can never be sure.

I'm looking forward to just being a bit more comfortable!

Dizneyblonde
03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
We're here wit you all the way Tink.

We can support each other.X

ieuanr
03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Well done everyone - at least we can chat to each other about it.

Dawn that is pretty impressive from Adrian - we got a Wii fit and it certainly improved my balance but we haven't used it for a while so Diane has sold it to her sister!

Come on then Tink let's give it a go. Are medifast actual meals or liquid things like slimfilth? I am just going to eat small quantities of healthy stuff such as salad - I've started eating fish (which is a big deal for me!) I shall try to eat more fruit and drink a vast quantity of water.

I've been out and weeded the front garden.

I thought just this morning that I need to lose a few pounds before I start excercising seriously - but I fear this may be a delay tactic (in my case)

I feel more motivated already! Cheers :champers3:

Tink
03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
:hug2: Thank you! :hug2:

Tink
03-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, there are shakes, puddings, oatmeal, soups, ... can't remember the rest. You have one "real meal" a day, called lean and green. You choose a lean protien and something from the veggies list.

I'm truly willing to give it a go, especially as she calls it a rapid weight loss program. If I could just get started losing. I know that once the weight starts to come off (even a small amount, but regularly) that will keep me going.

I've done it before, but it seems like it's much harder this time!

I never had a single weigh problem until I hit the mid forties. :sigh; Now it's a major health issue.

So! We fix it, eh?! :D

ieuanr
03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Yes, we can fix it - no worries! I mean if I can eat fish anythings possible - right?

Claire
03-07-2008, 08:44 PM
So far I have lost 53lb since Jan 19th by counting calories. You need to start of by finding out your Basel Metabolic Rate. This will tell you how many calories you use on a daily basis just to live. By subtracting 3,500 calories from that figure (3,500 calories equals 1lb of fat) and only consuming that amount of calories you will, in theory lose 1lb. By adding exercise into the equation you can increase your calorie intake but still lose that 1lb. For a 2lb a week loss you will need a deficit of 7,000 calories per week.

The other secret to success is to consume a minimum of 2L of water a day to keep your metabolism going at a good rate, thus burning more calories than you otherwise would!

If you do a search on BMR you'll find a few sites that will work out your rate for you.

Tink
03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, Ieuan! I was surprised to see that you are eating fish!

Claire, that is a wonderful accomplishment! :smiley4:

Claire
03-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Yes, Ieuan! I was surprised to see that you are eating fish!

Claire, that is a wonderful accomplishment! :smiley4:

Thank you Tink. It was a turning 40 kind of thing that spurred me on. I've got another 45lb plus to shift yet though!

Tink
03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
What is it with turning forty for some of us? :dozey:

My doc once said, "you didn't wake up fat." I replied, "Oh Yes I DID! Everything was fine until one morning in my forties I woke up and I was fat!"

It really did seem that way too. Came on wicked fast. Lost some, and then put it back with more and that is where I am now. Hoping to lose all and end up with better metabolism, health and "numbers." :penguinscarf:

Taja
03-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Another one working on healthy! And trying to get my exercise program back in gear. It went south after injuring both legs in December (temporary, thankfully!) and a couple more injuries relating back to the December injury. *sigh*

I just managed to start walking regularly in the morning when summer arrived. It's already 90 degrees at 5:00 a.m. lately--not overly enthused about outdoor exercise! It's difficult enough just taking care of the yard and pool! *LOL*

I don't weight myself regularly--just base things on how my clothes are fitting. And they're a shade looser than two weeks ago, so I'm going in the right direction. Slowly!

Definitely can relate to the 40s thing. Mine was late 40s--didn't take care of myself while taking care of others. Dumb! :)

SleepinCatz
03-07-2008, 11:14 PM
I can't have a scale where I can get to it. If I do I go from weighing myself once a week...to 2xs a week...to everyday...then everytime I drink or eat something....the last time my husband took the scale away and hid it....he realized i was waking up every 20 mins at night and weighing myself....so I go by clothing size. And no..I'm dead serious about the scale thing...it got to the point where i was scared to eat or drink anything...

I lost 42lbs with weight watchers...went once a week to meetings...then this new lady started weighing ppl in. I had just gotten out of the hospital because of a kidney stone...was in there for 3 days on IVs....of course i put on weight....wasn't bad enough I gained 8lbsin those few days but she had to yell at the top of her lungs. embarrassed doesn't even cover it. I went back a few more weeks...tried to tough it out...lost a puond here and there...periods started...hello weight gain...yelled at again....the meeting leader did nothing about it. so I left....alittle over 2 yrs now. Gained all 42lbs back...but happily no more. lately I've noticed the clothes fitting a little more loosely.

just cutting the carbs...and when i do eat them it's high fiber and just enough to feel satisfied...groceries are getting so dang expensive that we have had to put some carbs back in to make food stretch.

But i want to drop some weight before the next trip...2 years as ya'll can see lol...not looking to lose alot...just want to be comfortable...lately not feeling too comfortable lol...so yeah...I'm in on this thread if it's ok :)

Ursula
03-07-2008, 11:52 PM

Wow! really!

Tink
04-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Of course it's ok that you are in on this thread! I would have died if someone did that to me. My doc originally talked about WW, but I told her the public weigh thing was not going to work for me. Waaaaay to embarrassing. :eek:

SleepinCatz
04-07-2008, 12:21 AM
it was great until that lady came...they never say outloud how your weigh in went...but the meeting leader gives out goal awards and such...it was great for the self esteem...but then that woman showed up. I know alot of ppl changed locations becasue of her....I just can't bring myself to face any of them...it's too embarrassing.

But I'm good with support this way :) so Bring on the weight loss :)

mumof2
04-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Yes! We will! Didn't mean to be all flummpy and depressing!

Tink, you weren't being flummpy (i love that word!) and depressing at all :hug1:

I thought just this morning that I need to lose a few pounds before I start excercising seriously - but I fear this may be a delay tactic (in my case)

delaying tactic? noooo :wink:

So far I have lost 53lb since Jan 19th

that's fantastic Claire - well done you! :bravo1:

isn't it great to know there are enough of us in the same situation to be able to help each other out? :D

what do all think - should we start a 'slimmers' social group?

SleepinCatz
04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes indeedy!

mumof2
04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes indeedy!

done! :smileyrainbow: come and join me over there!

http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3

BevW
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, I've had an issue with my weight...and it's been since I started being perimenopausal. Yes, it's that 10 lbs that women get during that unpleasant time in their lives. I can't seem to get it OFF!!!! I've tried several things...so at least I haven't gone over that 10 lb limit (GRRRRRR) but my pants are a bit snug and very uncomfortable. I'm just a bit vain to go to the store and purchase larger pants...is that insane or what!

I've cut out sodas, but I never really drank that many to begin with. MY downfall is potatoes and bread. I don't eat many sweets or cookies or cakes or such. I've gone to fruits and raw veggies to snack on and I'm trying to do the eat many small meals during the day instead of 3 big meals. Seems to work ok, but I'm not loosing anything. This is SO depressing. But I'm going to do this!!!! :lol:

Tink
04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
It's horrid, isn't it Bev? :sigh; Sometimes the smaller amounts are the most difficult to get rid of. :sigh;

Shall we join the slimmers group? Can't hurt to have support from friends! :D

Claire
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm dreading it when I get towards the end of my journey so to speak. I know the last 14lb or so will be the hardest to shift.

BTW, I'm currently walking from Orlando to Key West on a treadmill challenge set up on my weight loss site!

Tink
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh my gosh! That's a LONG walk! :eek: Let us know when you get there! :smiley4:

BevW
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
CLAIRE!! I love that idea! I have an eliptical and it gets so boring to just glide! I'll have to set up a goal thingy too!

Tink...yes....it's awful...I mean, I don't want to sound whiny cos it is just 10 lbs, but it's extra weight and it's so not going away. BUT maybe gliding from Denver to WDW is just the thing! Gotta go figure out the mileage on this trek! :lol:

Tink
05-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Great motivators! :D

mumof2
05-07-2008, 08:58 AM
just a quiet little reminder....

COME AND JOIN ME AT THE SLIMMERS AND HEALTHY EATING GROUP YOU GUYS!! ....please! :D

Tink
05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh right! Be right over! :D

Dizneyblonde
05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Yay just done my Saturday morning weigh in and i've reached my first goal of 14lb.

I've lost a whole stone!!!

Tink
05-07-2008, 10:56 AM
:champers3::bravo1:

HURRAH FOR DIZNEYBLONDE!!!!!

Dizneyblonde
05-07-2008, 11:20 AM
And my treat for getting to my first goal.

A new hairdo!

Any ideas?

Tink
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Oh geez. Does your hair still look now like it did in the photos of you and your children at Disney?

If so, I have no suggestions! I thought that style looked very nice on you! :yes:

Dizneyblonde
05-07-2008, 11:34 AM
No it is a lot longer than that now but has no shape.

I'm tempted to go back to that but fancied a change!!

mumof2
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Yay just done my Saturday morning weigh in and i've reached my first goal of 14lb.

I've lost a whole stone!!!

:champers3: Hurrah! Well done!!

mumof2
11-07-2008, 08:31 PM
had my weigh in at club on Weds...i lost 3lbs this week! :yes:

i was thrilled, but i've been fighting off the munchies since....not too bad today but weds and thurs were tough and i have to admit to giving in a bit too much so we'll see what next weds brings. :rolleyes008:

tb2830
11-07-2008, 08:36 PM
i just wanted to wish you all lots of luck :yes: unfortunately for me i have the opposite problem i need to put some weight on now but with everything thats going on in my life its still just dropping off:( so your all welcome to send some of your weight to me :lol:

mumof2
11-07-2008, 08:45 PM
i just wanted to wish you all lots of luck :yes: unfortunately for me i have the opposite problem i need to put some weight on now but with everything thats going on in my life its still just dropping off:( so your all welcome to send some of your weight to me :lol:

ooh yes please!

but seriously, you be careful hun - i'm sure it'll sort itself out once you're feeling better.....:hug2:

tb2830
11-07-2008, 08:53 PM
ooh yes please!

but seriously, you be careful hun - i'm sure it'll sort itself out once you're feeling better.....:hug2:

yep im sure it will:yes:

Tink
11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Ach. Tracy. :hug1: Do you like milkshakes? That will help give you some concentrated calories and good calcium. :yes: Egg nogs? Same idea only protien and calcium. :yes:

Take care. It's a step at a time. :hug1:

luvthemouse
12-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Wow..I know that I am way late joining in on this thread, but I'm glad I did. It's good to know that there are more out there like me. I seriously need to lose weight...around 70-80lbs. It's hard for me to get out to exercise, and don't get me started about cooking! I love to cook!! I also really love to eat. I need to get the weight off not only for my health, but to hopefully inspire Holly (DD) to be healthy. She's a bit on the chunky side. And you know how cruel kids can be...

I finally got to try out a wii this past weekend. That is the exercise for me!!! LOVE IT!! I boxed for 45 mins straight. I was sweaty and my arms and hips were sore by the time I was done. Now we just have to find a wii to buy. They are still very scarce around here. It's like when I was playing raquett ball on a regular basis; it's excercise with a purpose! To beat somebody! Plus Chris and the kids loved it too. So it's something we can all do together...