PDA

View Full Version : Oh my gosh

Tink
22-05-2009, 06:42 PM
It is just pouring, lashing down rain again. I know this is going to cause more flooding. :(

I feel terrible for those folks visiting Disney. This is a major holiday weekend, and the weather is absolutely terrible. Unfortunately, the forecast is NOT for the better. :(

Be glad you aren't here this weekend, folks. :sigh:

It's not three pm yet, and I have to have the lights on to see, it's so dark. :(

Claire
22-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Ironic that we are forecast better weather than Spain for this weekend Tink. Can't be very often we fare better than you huh? :hug1:

Isafari
22-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Poor Tinker!

Mari
22-05-2009, 06:54 PM
We have had a whole week of THAT weather.... maybe its now heading your way...

:hug2:

I hope the weather improves, its no fun when it rains all day

Beccaberry
22-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I just heard from Johnie (and PA) she said the same thing...she said it was TORRENTIAL there....they are currently taking shelter in the Tiki Room.

Tink
22-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Ugh. I forgot they were here.

I've been stuck in three weeks of this mess. :( Two of them in SC, partial in VA and now finishing it up here. :sigh:

Stuck in the Tikki Room is about right. It's lessening up a bit, but still rumbling and lightning. I'm north of WDW, so things may be a bit different (YIKES!!! LOUD ONE THERE) here... you know, Florida. It can be raining on one side of the road and dry on the other. :sigh:

I really thought we might nip off to WDW this weekend with Seth, but that's not likely. At the risk of sounding too pathetic for words, the damp and cold really bothers my shoulder/arm so I'd be useless (and miserable). Phooey!

Watchinherskip
22-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I just heard from Johnie (and PA) she said the same thing...she said it was TORRENTIAL there....they are currently taking shelter in the Tiki Room.

Oh terrible! I guess there are worse places to seek shelter! I would hate to be in the Swiss Family Robinson's treehouse.

Only upside is that Florida was in dire need of rain wasn't it Tink?

Does this event officially end the drought?

Tink
22-05-2009, 07:17 PM
It should, given the flooding that is not happening. When we returned from VA on Tuesday we knew something was "up" as the roadsides were all filled in with water. Not to mention our pool at the brink (literally) of overflowing. Herself has taken the pool down twice since our return, and will have to do it again tonight, I'm sure.

The roses love it though. :) The 'matoes not so much. :sigh:

foreverducky
22-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Definitely don't miss those down pours....it's like the sky opens up and DUMPS water on you.

More than once I have shelted myself with the TTA (isn't that the initals or is TAT...) any way, you guys know what I mean. Sheesh

Tink
22-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Yep. The TTA. :yes: That's what's happening here, Billie. Torrential downpours with thunder and lightning, lessening to steady rain, then back to the stormy stuff. :sigh:

The sort of day where you just give up and get back in bed. :(

Isafari
22-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Awe, I thought Johnie was back home by now. :sorry:

mumof2
22-05-2009, 07:51 PM
oh crikey, stay indoors and snuggle Tink. :hug2:

Tink
22-05-2009, 08:09 PM
It's picked up again. :(

Sad news too. I've just learned that a woman I knew (many years ago now) and really admired, has died. I feel incredibly sad. I enjoyed the times we spent together (those were the years of collecting antique jewelry, and selling some, she was into antiques too) at the antique shows. :sigh: I've not seen nor heard from her in years, but I'll still miss her, as strange as that may seem to read. :( :cry2:

mumof2
22-05-2009, 08:21 PM
oh gosh, I'm so sorry Tink. It's still a shock to hear the sad news even if you haven't seen somebody for a very long time. Thinking of you :hug2:

Claire
22-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh Tink. :hug1:

foreverducky
22-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Tink :hug2:

Tink
22-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Thank you. She was a super nice person (and wicked pretty two). I didn't realize that she was old enough to be my mother! :cry2: She was always so vital, full of energy and life. I learned so very much from her, and about more than antique jewelry too. We lost a good one with her passing. :(

Tink
22-05-2009, 09:24 PM
We have just surpassed Faye as the wettest storm. There is more rainfall now than there was during that storm, and may become a named storm. :( :( :(

Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach are shut down. There is a shelter there that is filled to capacity. Nearly 30 inches of rain in Daytona Beach.

This is no longer too much rain, this is a state wide emergency.

The governor is very concerned. He's partying at a luxury resort (Mar a Lago) in West Palm or thereabouts. :(

Now I'm worried about Seth and his Da driving in this. :(

Isafari
22-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Now I'm worried about Seth and his Da driving in this. :(

Are they out on the road right now Tink? :unsure:

Tink
22-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes. :(

Isafari
22-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes. :(

:hug2: how long does it take normally for the journey?

Claire
22-05-2009, 09:35 PM
They will be just fine Tink. :yes: Welcome them with open arms and a mug of something warm.

Isafari
22-05-2009, 09:37 PM
They will be just fine Tink. :yes: Welcome them with open arms and a mug of something warm.

:yes: of course they will. It will just make the journey longer as they will be driving even more carefully. If the weather got too bad, they would pull over somewhere for a while.

Tink
22-05-2009, 10:41 PM
It's a solid three hours. :( He'll be cold and tired. We've just run out to the grocery. Mug of hot chocolate? Our Seth loves his chokkit milk, so we'll just warm it up.

Herself is making banana bread (another of the boy's favorites) right now, so it'll be warm when he gets here.

They are going to be coming through Arcadia, and that place floods in a heavy rain, never mind days of heavy rain. :(

We've not heard anything, so we are going to force ourselves to picture them having a peaceful drive on dry (ok, maybe not dry but not flooded) roads. It's stopped raining for the moment, here so perhaps the same can be said for where they are.

Thank you all for being so sweet to me. I know I'm a horrid worrier, stupidly so but there isn't much I can do about that. Heaven knows I've tried. :sigh:

Mags
22-05-2009, 10:49 PM
The weather sounds dreadful Tink. When is it ever going to stop? I feel so sorry for all the people on holiday at the moment. So sorry about your friend too. I hope everyone arrives safely too.

Margaret

Tink
22-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Thank you Mags. I've just had a call from his Da. It's slow going, but they are ok. They have moved from the surface roads (through Arcadia) and gone to the major highway routes (75 to I4) which are not the best choice (traffic and accident prone) but will be safer in terms of less water.

There is a bit of good news. The girlfriend got Monday off so they can stay a bit longer! :yes: :D :D

Now if we can just get the weather to clear up. Can you imagine having spent thousands of dollars on holiday only to have it rain miserably the entire (or at the majority) time you were here? :sigh:

kazzaqld
23-05-2009, 05:03 AM
Tink that is not good news!

It's been raining on and off here again today but luckily more off than on!

Hope all are ok! :yes:

Deb
23-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh Tink, so sorry about your friend, I really am :hug2: Some friends remain special for life whether you're in touch or not.

And the rain! Sounds horrific! I do hope Seth and his Da are there now safely. You'll all just have to snuggke up and do cosy indoor things. So glad you get the extra day with him Tink :hug2:

Can you save me some banana bread please? :D I can just smell it now, wafting through my laptop.....:yes:

Isafari
23-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Pleased they've been in touch Tink....although by now Seth will be with you :yes:
Enjoy the extra time with him rain or no rain (hopefully the latter)

*Bambi-Belle*
23-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I hope the rain eases up soon for the locals and the holidaymakers.

Hugs Tink xxxxxxxx:hug2:

Tink
23-05-2009, 11:31 AM
They are here! :D They arrived late last night about 10:30 pm. Our Seth came bursting through the door with an, "I'M HEEEEERRRE!!!" :laugh: As if we needed to have him announce himself, eh? :lol:

The banana bread is divine, Deb. Herself snuck a few dark chocolate chips in and whoooeeee... I even broke down and had a slice. :sorry: (It didn't spike the blood glucose, how weird is THAT? :unsure: ). Now the challenge will be to stay away from it!

I think we are going to grill chicken over charcoal today, regardless of the hateful weather. We have a roof over a portion of our lanai (for just this reason) and can cook out there even in the rain. We have a really nice savory barbecue sauce that we use for chicken. It's NOT tomato based :nono: and is a real favorite of ours so that will be one thing to do.

Seth does expect to go to WDW. :oops: Not sure if he'll care that it's raining buckets! You know how little ones are, everything is an adventure and very little is a deterrent!

They are all still sleeping right now, so I'm having some quiet time, before the festivities begin! :D

We may (stress on MAY) actually put in a new kitchen sink! :eek: Seth's Da says it will be easy peasy :unsure: and we loathe the sink we currently have. We'll see...

So, thank you all for your good wishes for their safe arrival. :yes: It worked splendidly as they did arrive safely.

Now if ya'll could just wish the rain away? Please? :sigh:

Deb
23-05-2009, 11:41 AM
"Rain rain go away, come again another day (when Seth isn't there preferably :unsure: )"

Banana bread with dark chocolate chips in, oh my goodness!!! *drools* Of course it didn't spike your blood glucose levels! It's made out of love which overules all the bad stuff!! :D Is the sauce for the chicken one you make up yourselves? I'm guessing so. If so, any chance you could share the recipe please? Pretty please? :angel: I love barbecued type chicken, and preferably without the tomatoey base.

Glad they are all with you safely. Yep, raining or not, Seth will want to go to The World! Mickey ponchos at the ready!!! :yes:

Tink
23-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Sure I'll share the recipe. :yes: It's a oooooold one. Used to be called Cornell Sauce by the old folks. I was given the recipe by a very old woman that I once knew.

Here it is:

1 egg beaten until foamy
Add very slowly as you beat, 1 cup olive oil (you can use other oils, but we only like olive oil). It should act like mayonnaise-be thick and creamy.
Add 1 tablespoon each of ground black pepper, salt, and poultry seasoning. (The original recipe called for FOUR tablespoons of salt, but we cut it back to one without any damage to the flavor or performance).
To the thickened sauce add 1 pint (2 cups) apple cider vinegar.

Baste the chicken as it cooks slowly over the fire (charcoal, gas, wood...). The sauce will keep it very moist, and with cooking turn it a golden brown (and crispy skin). :yes:

Hope you get a chance to try it! :yes:

Deb
23-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Oh thanks Tink I will! It's made in an unusual way for that type of sauce! Not sure exactly what poultry seasoning is though so will have to find out :unsure:

4 tablespoons of salt! Oh my!!! :eek:

Tink
23-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Poultry seasoning is a mix of herbs that is sold here under that name. Bell's is one manufacturer of it, but there are other spice/herb companies that sell "poultry seasoning" too. I'll go have a look at the ingredients...

mumof2
23-05-2009, 12:09 PM
have a wonderful weekend with young Seth, and I'll wing some 'go away rain' wishes over to you right now!

Tink
23-05-2009, 12:10 PM
The ingredients are "a mixture of rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, marjoram, thyme and pepper."

They are ground together to make a fine powder, and if the labeling is true to what it should be, the proportions are in order of listing (with rosemary being the herb with the largest proportion).

Hope that helps a bit!

Tink
23-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Thank you Mairead!!! Keep doing whatever you are doing!!!! The SUN is OUT!!!!! :9: :9: Haven't seen it in days!!!

Let's hope it sticks around awhile. :yes: The forecast did not include sun, so you must have some kinda' power! :D

Deb
23-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Hurrah for the sun! :bounce:

Thanks Tink, that does indeed help! :yes: We have a new firepit/barbecue that's ready to be used when the Summer eventually arrives and I will definitely be trying this :thumbsup:

Tinkfan
23-05-2009, 12:37 PM
:flowerbounce: Glad everyone is safe and sound!! It doesn't matter how old the kids get you worry just the same!! How old is Seth Tink? Is he your only grand child? If you like banana bread ,I have a recipe for one called Gift of the Magii!! It's wonderful. I'm going to make your marinade today for the holidays!! Thanks

Deb
23-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Sure I'll share the recipe. :yes: It's a oooooold one. Used to be called Cornell Sauce by the old folks. I was given the recipe by a very old woman that I once knew.

Here it is:

1 egg beaten until foamy
Add very slowly as you beat, 1 cup olive oil (you can use other oils, but we only like olive oil). It should act like mayonnaise-be thick and creamy.
Add 1 tablespoon each of ground black pepper, salt, and poultry seasoning. (The original recipe called for FOUR tablespoons of salt, but we cut it back to one without any damage to the flavor or performance).
To the thickened sauce add 1 pint (2 cups) apple cider vinegar.

Baste the chicken as it cooks slowly over the fire (charcoal, gas, wood...). The sauce will keep it very moist, and with cooking turn it a golden brown (and crispy skin). :yes:

Hope you get a chance to try it! :yes:

Oh, I meant to ask Tink. Why Cornell sauce? Or is it just one of those names that comes from nowhere in particular? :unsure:

mumof2
23-05-2009, 01:01 PM
hurrah - sunshine!! i suspect it may have been encouraged by that little ray of sunshine that's staying with you :yes:

Tink
23-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I think it's Cornell Sauce because it may have come from Cornell (the university) back in the day.

The sun is desperately trying to retain its foothold, but the black clouds are very aggressive and pushy. :sigh:

Our Seth is working with Herself right now, learning to spell his full name on the computer. We're still convinced there are learning issues there, but he sure tries. :yes:

minnie-me
24-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope the weather gets better for you - but i'm sure you will still have a great time with Seth xx

uscwest
24-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Tink, so sorry to hear about your old friend.

Glad to hear that Seth and is Da arrived safely though. We are here in No. FL being inundated with rain ourselves. Beginning to look like the golf clubs will stay in the car.

Tinker
24-05-2009, 10:11 PM
We drove through it yesterday ... looked real bad, dark clouds in the horizon . We decided to go straight to the airport rather than go to Epcot .
We had two days of rain showers while at WDW and it rained in the morning while at Nassau and Castaway Cay, but lucky for us, it cleared up .

Taja
25-05-2009, 12:20 AM
So sorry to hear about your friend, Tink. :hug2: Friends are friends, regardless how frequently you communicate.

And so glad everyone is safe.

:fingers: for good weather for everyone. Hope Seth is able to visit WDW this trip! :)

Tink
25-05-2009, 01:30 AM
It poured with lightning and thunder again tonight. :sigh: Our Seth isn't getting to WDW this time. :( No sense in taking the child out in the bad weather. We get to go often enough when it's good, eh?

Thank you all for your kindnesses about my friend. It's still hard for me to get used to-her being gone. :(

John, I'd forgotten you were here now. Keep a sharp eye out "up there." There have been tornado warnings for that area, and the rumor of one touching down. :(