PDA

View Full Version : Arthur's at the vets

foreverducky
22-05-2009, 09:04 PM
So, I have had one hell of a day. Took Arthur to groomers at a local petshop. Picked him up and they said that he moved slightly while the groomer was dealing with his eye and they SCRATCHED his eye lid.

I may not have non-furry kids, but Arthur is my son and my heart and soul. I was instantly furious, but kept it underwraps. At the time it was pink but hard to see really. They said that if it didn't heal they would call a vet.

Anyway I took him home, was about to get in the shower when I noticed a blood tear!! I called vet and after talking I decided I could not not take him in.

Am currently home waiting...the results fromt the vets:
1. the groomer in reality SLICED his eye lid
2. needs a stitch or two (trying to keep on outer side of his eye lid as to not scratch his eye)
3. being placed under 'light' anthestic for this procedure
4. they are putting dye in his eye to make sure it wasn't damaged
5. Will have to go back to get the stitch(es) removed
6. Will have to wear cone for 7 days

That's the preliminary. Please send anything you have to help make sure nothing more is damaged and that he has no problems with the anthestic, and that he heals fine with no lasting problems.

Called groomers/pet store and talked to manager. While I was upset I knew that getting my information across was better than screaming at the manager. They will be paying for his vet bills.

It took all I had to keep it together at the vets when they took him away. :sorry:

Tink
22-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Ah no. :cry2: I was so afraid to open this. I knew something was wrong given your post to the cocktails thread.

Poor sweet Arthur. :( :( :( Poor YOU! :hug2: I'd be pretty darn upset too. I admire you for staying calm and doing what Arthur most needed you to do.

:pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust:

Tinkerbell
22-05-2009, 09:21 PM
:hug2::hug2: for both of you

Well done for staying calm, you did better than I would have done :yes:

Claire
22-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Poor baby! I am sending all the :pdust: I can gather for him and you Billie. :hug2:

Isafari
22-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Awe, poor Arthur :sorry: I hope his eye heals well and that he isn't put through too much pain and discomfort. I wish I could give him a gentle :hug2:

foreverducky
22-05-2009, 10:50 PM
We are home and he is still stoned from the anathesia. My poor baby! I feel so bad for him. You know, I do my best to protect him and it bothers me so much when this kind of thing happens.

Thank you everyone! It means so much to have you guys, really.

He and I both have not eaten today yet as it has been so crazy. He unfortunately can't eat anything for a while yet.

foreverducky
22-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Here are some pre and post pictures. In the last pictures, it's his right eye (looking at him the left) that has stitches at the corner on the outside.
3252.vB

3253.vB

3254.vB

3255.vB

3256.vB

Tink
22-05-2009, 11:20 PM
:cry2: The poor pitiful sweetie. :cry2:

I'd be so upset with that groomer!

josh.p.
22-05-2009, 11:23 PM
:hug2: for you and :hug2: for little arthur. I bet hes already forgotten about it. I know from my experience that dogs are wriggly when you are near their eyes. I bet you are just glad its not something really serious such as blindness.

foreverducky
22-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Yes, so thankful it's not worse! So thankful!

SleepinCatz
23-05-2009, 12:15 AM
poor darlin...I am so sorry you both had to go thru this today.

Deb
23-05-2009, 06:03 AM
Oh Billie, I'm so glad that he is at least throught this first part of his ordeal and he's ok after the anaesthetic. I know how you feel about Arthur as I'm the same about my furries :hug2:

Last year a groomer sliced through a chunk of Sorrel's skin near her neck, and 3 slices through her ears. She had put some white healing powder on to disguise it, and when I asked if it was bad enought to need vet treatment she said no I was so sort of shocked I believed her. when I got her home I realised something wasn't right and rushed her to the vet. The vet was appalled and immediately put her under anaesthetis, had to remove the flap of skin as it was so damaged, and sew it up best he could. The ears healed eventually with the antibiotics.

We have not been able to take her to a groomer since and now just shave her and trim her ourselves. She doesn't look as pretty but at least she knows she's safe :(

Keeping my fingers crossed for Arthyr that he makes a full and fast recovery and that he is not too spooked by the experience.

Isafari
23-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Awe, bless him. :hug2:
I wish him a speedy recovery :yes:

Dizneyblonde
23-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Poor little thing.

:hug2: for both of you.

Fingers crossed it is all healed and better soon and you have your baby back to his usual self.

mumof2
23-05-2009, 09:17 AM
oh no poor Arthur. :hug2::hug2: hugs for you both, hope he's much better very soon.

foreverducky
23-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I finally was able to get him to eat a slice of ham. We are sitting at the computer so I took collar off, but he just went for his eye...so now it's back on. I will be gone a good portion of the day, so I hope that he will be okay.

Tink
23-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Deb! That's terrible!

I'm afraid I'm getting a very poor opinion of groomers. :(

A girl I went to elementary school with... her Mom clipped poodles. I remember seeing her bathe one and then attaching his collar to a chain in the wall and directing a blow dryer on the dog to dry it. The poor little thing was shaking like a leaf. She was kind to it, but I still felt bad that it was so scared and cold.

Tink
23-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Ugh, Billie. Poor little guy. :( At least you did get him to eat something. I'm sure he'll be fine when you are gone, but I know you'll worry about him. :(

foreverducky
23-05-2009, 11:26 AM
I can only imagine Deb!

I use to have a fabulous groomer in FL, she was at the vets. I trusted her completely but then she left. I will never take care to this pet store again. NEVER.
I must fine someone else.

foreverducky
23-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, I will Tink. I worry about even when he's healthy and I'm gone all day, so this definitely wont ease my worries.

I kept offering his dog food, but he kept refusing and i would rather him eat something than nothing at all. So I went with one of his favorite people foods.

Deb
23-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Glad he's eating something Billie, even if it's just a little ham. If he has his cone on he'll be fine - he'll probably sleep his way through you being gone, with the after effects of the anaesthetic, his body recuperating and the stress he's been through. It'll probably be worse for you than for him :hug2:

The groomer I first used for Sorrel was at the vets too, and she was great. Since I've moved to a different part of the country I haven't really managed to find one I trust totally. It's so tough as every time you try a new one you're worried it's going to be yet another bad experience. It would be easier if vets would recommend one but over here they're not really allowed to :sigh: As Sorrel has a real fear of boarding kennels the larger ones aren't an option either.

foreverducky
23-05-2009, 12:01 PM
There's a similar issue here. The vet doesn't endorse anyone so they kind of just look at you with a blank look. I plan to ask the front ladies at the vet's office and see if they have heard about any good experiences anywhere.

This soooo makes me miss my old vet and groomer, and really the entire staff. I trusted them explicitedly. :sigh:

And here I thought I had anxiety about it before. Like you Deb, I will be worried that we'll have another bad experience

Tinkfan
23-05-2009, 12:50 PM
:hug2: So glad he came through all right. They are as much a part of us as any family member aren't they!!It's not uncommon for them not to want to eat much for the first 24 - 36 hours, as long as they are drinking. My poor baby this past Feb, came down with Horners Syndrome and scared the --- out of me!! I knew it existed in humans but had not heard of it in dogs before. Give him lots of hugs and kisses!! Trish

Kate
23-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Oh no, thats just awful, poor arthur! poor sorrell to!
I hope that the groomers will pay - was it very expensive?

Disneybumble
23-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Billie:hug2:furry or non furry he is family. I am so sorry that you have both had to go through this. I hope he recovers well and starts to eat some more.
Your heart breaks in those pictures.:hug2::hug2::hug2:

foreverducky
24-05-2009, 04:39 AM
I was gone a lot of the day and thought of him a lot and wished that I had stayed home with him. But I am hoping he rested. I gave him some more ham this evening. I also have someone visiting and unfortunately he spends more time watching them than thinking about food. He seems to be a little more aware today.

The vet cost about 300. They paid for all of it. Got a call from the manager of the grooming area. I wont go too much into the detail of the call, but it did have some excuses running through it. While I was offered a free session I will never go there again.

Arthur would likely be even more shook up if I don't him back the same place and they have lost any confidence I had in them.

Kate
24-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Excuses?! What excuses could they have - doesnt matter if Arthur wriggled, they still did it to him!
Dont blame you for not going back to them

Tink
24-05-2009, 09:21 AM
There are no excuses. Dogs are going to wiggle and move. The groomer is responsible for knowing how to manage that without injuring the dog. Period.

A free session? As if. I hope he's feeling a little better today? Those cone things look so uncomfortable. :(

Ursula
24-05-2009, 11:28 AM
OMG :( Poor little thing XXXXXXXXXX Get well soon X

Dorothy
24-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Billie, I know it's a bit of a drive, but I have the best place here in town that I've always used for our dogs. Not once has any dog we've ever had for the last 15 years ever had a cut or nick or anything horrible like what happened to Arthur!!! You can come hang out here while they're grooming him and we can talk Disney :D

Isafari
24-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I hate it when animals hurt!:sorry:
I can see lots of extra pampering coming Arthurs way from you Billie :yes: Give him a gentle :hug2: from me.

uscwest
24-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh my. Poor Arthur for suffering this and poor Billie for having to go through it with him. Hope you are both feeling better soon. :hug2::hug2::hug2:

Tinker
24-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh, Billie :hug2::hug2::hug2: I am so sorry that this has happened to Arthur . He is the sweetest little boy and I know just how you feel . I was worried sick over my Toby . They are just like our children .
When we were in The Bahamas . There was a stray dog and his ribs were showing . We saw him once more , eating what looked like lobster shells . Well, did I start tearing up . I even told one of the guards( that was dressed like a green berut ) to see that he gets fed . He saw how upset I was and tried to reasasure me that he fends for himself and most times , they do feed him .
It made me feel so bad . If I could have taken him on the ship with me , I would have given him a home .

Taja
25-05-2009, 12:26 AM
:hug2: :hug2:

For both you and Arthur!

Hope he is better soon--and you're able to quit worrying! I know you won't until he's pronounced fit by the vet!

foreverducky
25-05-2009, 02:38 AM
Thank you everyone! Yes, there should be no excuses, dogs do move, but in reality mine is very still. This is the guy who can get x-rays with no meds as he becomes stoic without me.

Dorothy, definitely pm me with the place and I'll see how far it is exactly from here. :yes:

He seems to be doing better today, which makes me happier, but yes, I won't stop being worried until we get the clean bill of healthy this coming Friday.

Mari
26-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I just read this

I am soo sorry! :hug2:

Im glad he is doing better....

He's such a cutie!!

lisaw
26-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Poor Arthur :(

So glad he seems to be doing better now :yes:

Disneybumble
28-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Good to hear he's doing better. But l will welcome the vets news on Friday.

Britchick
28-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Geez, poor puppy and poor Mummy, i would have been really angry.

foreverducky
28-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Update: doing better...eating more and drinking, but he seems to be constipated, likely from the sedative. He gets his stitches out tomorrow.