PDA

View Full Version : An update on a slightly wobble Basil Puppy

Deb
06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
**Title should read "wobbly", not "wobble"! Must be slightly wobbly myself!!!**

I've not been around too much here over the weekend, I guess in the UK a lot of us have been enjoying the lovely weather! I have though, also been busy with Basil.

Unfortunately (and there's no nice way to say this :unsure: ), when he's been going to the toilet he has been very loose since 24 hours after he came home. We put this down to the stress of all of the changes he's been though, and so did the vet of the shelter we got him from when we had him checked on Wednesday. On Saturday morning we took him to our own vet as it seemed a long time for it to go on. Basil had also been lifting up his back legs as if he had maybe hurt one of them. Well, to cut a long story short, my vet thinks the two things may well be connected. Rather than just an inflamed intestine, he thinks it may be symptomatic of a generalised inflammatory infection that has gone to his legs too, and could spread. Poor Basil screamed when the vet squeezed his legs and knees :(

He is being treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, but the vet has warned me that often in puppies this is something that can't be healed as it's probably tied in with an immune system deficiency, and the dog either has to be put to sleep or is disabled with low quality of life(which in such a young pup could mean the same thing). This could be confirmed soon, or it could take a few months to diagnose through a process of elimination.

Of course, it could also be just a coincidental set of two different things that will heal themselves fast, and of course that is how we're choosing to see it. But at present he wants to see him every two days. Some pixie dust wouldn't go astray though, if you have any lying around.

He is ok in himself most of the time though, despite being starved for a day, and now having only rice and eggs!! He is so happy and active, and whatever happens he is loving his life with us!!

Here are a couple of pics of him with his favourite toy, and with his big brother Mr Darcy, who he adores and respects!!!

josh.p.
06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
:hug2: Poor you and Basil! I hope he gets better, I'm sure it is nothing so serious :yes:

mumof2
06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
oh no poor Basil :hug2:

:pixiedust::pixiedust:

uscwest
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh poor Basil. Hope he is OK.

SleepinCatz
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

foreverducky
06-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Ah Deb! :hug2: I am soooo hoping that they are seperate problems that both heal quickly!

He's just so cute

Disneybumble
06-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Deb, l am so sorry. Lets hope it is two isolated coincidences(if that makes sense) Lots of:hug2::hug2: for yu and Mr Deb.
And lots of :pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust: for sweet Basil.

Tinkerbell
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Aw Deb :hug2: I'm keeping everything crossed that they are separate problems and it heals up quickly.
Saw you message on DP but had no advice to offer, could his outbursts be connected to the pain do you think :unsure:

Isafari
06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
So sorry baby Basil is poorly :sorry: I so hope it is something that can be cured Deb. :fingers:

:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

Taja
06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
:hug2: Aw, poor Basil--and the entire Deb family!

:pdust: that the issues are separate and he recovers soon.

He is well loved by your entire family! :yes:

Shellyamc
06-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Poor little Basil pup :(

Lots of hugs and pixie dust for you:hug2::pdust:

Dawn
06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
:hug2: for Basil Puppy.

And a little lick from Willow for him too.

Kate
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh no, i hope everything turns out ok for Basil. Hopefully the antibiotics that hes on now will clear things up, but whatever it is doesnt seem to be getting him down does it!
:hug2:

Mari
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM

I sincerely hope it is something that can be fixed...

I am very glad you are giving him the chance to have a wonderful life!... hopefully it will be a very ling one Deb...

daveann
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
im really weapy this evening after crying reading keiths report now basil made my eyes leak :( hugs for him :(

Tink
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
That is just too sad, Deb. :( I surely hope it's not the terribly serious version and that he's on the complete mend soon.

As you say, being with you is wonderful for him and that is what is important in the long run, eh? :hug2:

sunsetlakes
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Hope little Basil is soon on the mend, he looks absolutely gorgeous :wave:

*Bambi-Belle*
06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
OH! NO!!! Poor Basil. Sending lots of hugs and pixie dust. xxxxxxxxx

Claire
06-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm keeping everything crossed for Basil Deb. :fingers:

Tinkfan
06-02-2009, 12:16 AM
:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::lalal a: I refuse to believe that it's serious, but to avoid a hex ...

Have they considered a steroid injection for the inflammation?

Deb
06-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts :hug2: It's much appreciated. Would you believe that the cat knocked him off a step yesterday and we had to rush him off the vet to check for breaks??? :mental: Turns out he has a sprain but as he had an antiinflammatory injection yesterday morning that should sort him out! It's ok, he still has one fully working leg ;) This little one is trouble!

:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::lalal a: I refuse to believe that it's serious, but to avoid a hex ...

Have they considered a steroid injection for the inflammation?

Tinkfan, he is too little at the moment, so if the trouble carries on then that is something they will try when he's older. But if it's what the vet thinks it may be, that wouldn't help long term, just provide some relief. As he is fine in himself at the moment (as evidenced by trying to play with the cat and receiving a mean left hook from her) then it's not so bad. The test will come when he has recovered from what he has at the moment, and the wait to see whather it comes back, or the legs mend.

And I agree, I refuse to believe anythiing's wrong!

lozzy
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
:pixiedust::pixiedust:OH NO poor Basil, I really hope he gets better he is soooooo cute and looks very happy. :pixiedust::pixiedust:

lisaw
06-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Keeping everything :fingers: for poor little Basil :hug2:

Ursula
06-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Hope we have good news soon XXXXXXXXXXXX

Deb
06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks all :hug2:

We're at the vets again this morning to see how he's doing, but to be honest he seems about the same, and I'm worried that with only having rice, egg and now a little fish, he's not getting his nutrition, so I'll have to talk about that to Mr Vet too :sorry:

He is fine in himself though, just dragged me out of bed to play and now has blissfully gone back to sleep while I'm shattered! :)

Skywatcher
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM

Sorry tio hear Basil is faulty at the moment :D ( had to sorry) - its heartbreaking when your pet isn't well - our cat Dipstick had horrendous uti's when we first got her and she was leaving little bloody puddles everywhere and screaming its awful :(

Thinking of you mate - please let us know just as soon as you have any news

:hug2:oh and that pic of Bas with the cat is adorable

Disneybumble
06-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Hoping for some really encouraging news this morning Deb.:hug2:

Deb
06-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Well, things aren't much different, and Basil has to stay on his diet of rice, eggs, fish and chicken. He has put a little weight on though, he was 2.2kg and is now 2.6kg, so the vet has a little more optimism. He reckons the prognosis is 50/50, but may be a little while before we know :(

So we just keep trundling on. A bad thing for us is that we can't really train him as we can't give him any treats at all. It's tough on all levels and I'm really tired out with him, but hey, that's the way it goes.

daveann
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
well least he is gaining weight so it means he is getting something from his food.
with training they can get as much reward from cuddles and fuss as they do food wise. its hard work isnt it! hey you will get there in the end hugs for basil and you too :)

Tinkfan
06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
:comfort: Hope he gets better soon, he's the cutest thing!! It's stressful when our family members are ill,isn't it?

foreverducky
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh, I just hate the waiting game, I am so sorry. I truly hope that by this time next year, this whole issue will have been just a bad dream and that everyone is outside, playing, and having a good time. :hug2:

Skywatcher
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Isafari
06-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I so want little Basil to get well :sorry: