PDA

View Full Version : An EGGciting update..!!!

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Another update on the eggs... for anyone that missed my last thread, Yanni, my female tortoise (and the matriarch of the creep) laid 5 eggs on Bank-Holiday Monday. (25th of May)
Here is the thread:
http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/chit-chat/8595-she-did-now-video.html
with the video of her laying in.

Today, I candled them, and it looks like ALL FIVE are fertile :thud:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/thumb_IMG_0597.jpg
You can see the bloodsac in this picture. Inside the egg is a large sac that encompasses the yolk, the embryo and also a sac of air. The yolk gives the embryo the nutrients it needs.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/thumb_IMG_0599.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/thumb_IMG_0605.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/thumb_IMG_0604.jpg

Not sure which picture is of which egg as they all look the same, but hpoefully gota good mix of pics in there so that you can see it :yes:

foreverducky
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
They're alive!!!!....(said in my best Dr. Frankenstein voice). :D

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 12:01 PM
They're alive!!!!....(said in my best Dr. Frankenstein voice). :D
:rofl: can you see the blood-sac? It's fairly obvious from here as I know what it looks like and where to look for it... not sure if I need to highlight it :unsure:

foreverducky
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
No need to highlight, can definitely see darkened area on the eggs. :yes:

Claire
02-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Looks like you're going to be building an extension to your tortoise enclosure Josh!

*Bambi-Belle*
02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Ooooooooooh! That's fantastic.

Skywatcher
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
:mental:

This is soo cool

PLEASE can we call one Keith if its a boy :D

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM

This is soo cool

PLEASE can we call one Keith if its a boy :D
Well.... I'm kinda hoping they are girls :yes: I have one male, two girls, and 2 unknowns. The thing is, I have a feeling at least one of the smaller two are male and that leaves me in a sticky situation :thumbsdown: I already have 1 female with a man's name... Gus!!! You can't tell their sex until they are about 5 really..

Skywatcher
02-06-2009, 01:11 PM
OK call it Keith and if it turns out to be a girl call it Penelope Keith :thumbsup:

Deb
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
They're cool Josh! :thumbsup:

Penelope Keith....sheesh! :rolleyes3:

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
OK call it Keith and if it turns out to be a girl call it Penelope Keith :thumbsup:
:rotfl:

ukwdwnut
02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
would you believe it my DD want a flippin tort :lol:

Isafari
02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
How exciting Josh :yes: you can definately see the blood sac.

I found a tortoise once :wiggle:

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 03:59 PM
would you believe it my DD want a flippin tort :lol:
Did you give her those links I gave you?

Dawn
02-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Steven
02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Ohh how cool! My sisters Ghekkos have hatched about 10 eggs in recent weeks, two have hatched in the past week and they are sooooooo cute!

lisaw
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Looking good! :mental:

Mari
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
wow!!!!!

this is really very EGGciting Josh!!!! :)

Britchick
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
we're pregnant!!! yay

Dorothy
02-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Josh are you going to keep all the babies when they hatch?

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Ohh how cool! My sisters Ghekkos have hatched about 10 eggs in recent weeks, two have hatched in the past week and they are sooooooo cute!
What type of Geckos does she have? I love geckos but my Mum does not like the idea of live foods!! :unsure:

wow!!!!!

this is really very EGGciting Josh!!!! :)
That's a cracking joke!!! I hope they don't eat much.. I don't want to be SHELLING out :rotfl:

we're pregnant!!! yay
I now have a strange image of a baby tort with Shakira's head!

ukwdwnut
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Did you give her those links I gave you?

nah lost em when i closed the window :lol: DUH!!!!

Claire
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Can you have the words Ghekkos and cute in the same sentence? :unsure:

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
nah lost em when i closed the window :lol: DUH!!!!
:rotfl:

Here they are again:
Tortsmad.com ~ UK tortoise guides and Caresheets (http://www.tortsmad.com)
Tortoise-world.com - Home of the original UK Tortoise Breeders list, by Josh Parry (http://www.tortoise-world.com) << My Site
Tortoises (http://www.tortoises.net) (Has a brill downloadable guide)

and DO NOT BUY ONE FROM A PET-SHOP/GARDEN CENTRE/ONLINE! :nono:

Britchick
02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I now have a strange image of a baby tort with Shakira's head!

it's your hormones love :hug2:

Claire
02-06-2009, 05:56 PM

:ROFL:

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
:rotfl: Yanni is clearly ready for more children. I seperated Tommy today and he was fine, he didn't want to climb back in. I went out to check them an hour later, and lets just say they where enjoying the sun-shine :unsure: Yanni had climbed the divide!!!

Kate
02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Brilliant news Josh! Are you going to be keeping all of them? Wont they be getting naughty with one another or doesnt that make a difference with torts? :unsure:

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Brilliant news Josh! Are you going to be keeping all of them? Wont they be getting naughty with one another or doesnt that make a difference with torts? :unsure:
Well... they are about 15 before they can mate so it's a while away yet. I won't be keeping them all though... maybe just the first two :yes:

Steven
02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
What type of Geckos does she have? I love geckos but my Mum does not like the idea of live foods!! :unsure:
!

She has 3 adult Leopard ghekkos and now 2 babies. Haha the live things bother me, it's horrific. The babies are here in my room, I won't let her feed them the baby locusts/crickets (forget which) in here! :sorry:

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 10:16 PM
She has 3 adult Leopard ghekkos and now 2 babies. Haha the live things bother me, it's horrific. The babies are here in my room, I won't let her feed them the baby locusts/crickets (forget which) in here! :sorry:
I love Leopard Geckos! Moving them about to feed them probably stresses them out alot, if you think about it, it's no different from you eating steak or chicken!! :yes:

Ursula
02-06-2009, 10:33 PM
So what is candling? and why do you take the eggs out of the hole once she has spent 45 mins digging and putting them in? Do they go back in hole once candled? and if not why not, is it too cold for them?

josh.p.
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
So what is candling? and why do you take the eggs out of the hole once she has spent 45 mins digging and putting them in? Do they go back in hole once candled? and if not why not, is it too cold for them?
Candling is just shining a torch into the egg so you can see the development of the hatchlings inside :yes: The reason they go in the incubator is because our weather is so rubbish that the temps do not stay stable enough. They are incubated between 29 and 32 degrees so there is no chance of those temps staying stable during that time. In the wild it would happen but not here unfortunatley, so they are artificially incubated.
They literally dig their nest and then forget about the babies, they have no involvement with them what-so-ever, baby torts get treated exactly the same as older ones but on a small scale :yes: The mother has no part in raising them.

Ursula
02-06-2009, 10:47 PM
OMG! They don't look after them? Wonder why? I took some pics for you in Barbados of some of the turtles sunning themselves.

Skywatcher
03-06-2009, 06:52 AM
:mental: really excited about this and learning loads - thank you for sharing this with us Josh!

Disneybumble
03-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Josh we can see the blood sac. This is so exciting. Can we do a comp to name the first Tort. Please Daddy Josh.

Skywatcher
03-06-2009, 07:05 AM
:dozey:

Its Keith either way

:lol:

josh.p.
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Josh we can see the blood sac. This is so exciting. Can we do a comp to name the first Tort. Please Daddy Josh.
:yes: But perhaps It will be a tort I am not keeping- I'd hate to think some of the names you lot will come up with :rotfl:

:dozey:

Its Keith either way

:lol:
:slap:

sunsetlakes
03-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Only just picked up on this thread and love the photo's, I love the way you can see the embryo's through the shell. Ooooh now I can't wait to keep popping back on - how long do they take to hatch?

josh.p.
03-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Only just picked up on this thread and love the photo's, I love the way you can see the embryo's through the shell. Ooooh now I can't wait to keep popping back on - how long do they take to hatch?
They take 8-11 weeks to hatch, at the temps I am incubating at, it should be about 8 weeks. :thumbsup: They have been in for a bout a week now, so 7 LONNGGGGGGG weeks left! At least I shall be in college for most of it so the time will pass slowly.

sunsetlakes
03-06-2009, 10:01 PM
They take 8-11 weeks to hatch, at the temps I am incubating at, it should be about 8 weeks. :thumbsup: They have been in for a bout a week now, so 7 LONNGGGGGGG weeks left! At least I shall be in college for most of it so the time will pass slowly.

And I thought Tort's were slow................ wished us human females only had to incubate for 8-11 weeks. Do we get to see more photo's of the eggs being candled at different stages or is that it until they hatch - can't wait to see them. I love going to Cotswold Wildlife Park as they have some beautiful Torts, takes me right back to my childhood when I had one called Speedy. Thanks for sharing :wave:

josh.p.
03-06-2009, 10:07 PM
And I thought Tort's were slow................ wished us human females only had to incubate for 8-11 weeks. Do we get to see more photo's of the eggs being candled at different stages or is that it until they hatch - can't wait to see them. I love going to Cotswold Wildlife Park as they have some beautiful Torts, takes me right back to my childhood when I had one called Speedy. Thanks for sharing :wave:
I will share photo's when I next candle them. There are delicate veins fused at this stage in development and even the slightest of knocks can tear them so I don't like taking the chance at the minute. I will definatley take more in a week or so.