PDA

View Full Version : BA in the news....

Isafari
16-06-2009, 01:51 PM
HERE (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8102862.stm)

Claire
16-06-2009, 01:52 PM
61,000 a month salary! :thud:

daveann
16-06-2009, 02:49 PM
i dont make that in 15 years :(

ukwdwnut
16-06-2009, 03:10 PM
dont surprise me, my friend who has a villa out in FL had to fly back with them last trip as he missed his VA flight and said they arent a patch on VA

Britchick
16-06-2009, 04:34 PM
i disagree, my experiences with them have been better than BA.

i hope they don't go bust because of the employees first off but

i have enough air miles with them for 4 plane tickets to the US - i would be very very very sad if I lost them.

Ursula
16-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I think the wrong people are being asked to give up their salaries IMO. :shrug:

uscwest
16-06-2009, 06:50 PM
61,00/month is almost my entire annual salary. In fact two years ago it was more than my annual given the state of the $. If I were making that kind of money I could probably afford to take a month without pay.

keith
16-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Have to agree. The average BA worker can do his/her individual bit to do their job well but the chief executive is one of the people who has the power to make huge decisions and thus must take a huge part of the responsibility when things go badly.

61k a month maybe market rate when the company is doing well, but given it's doing so badly they need normal pay cheque to pay cheque people to volunteer to take no money, he should be doing a heck of a lot more than a month IMHO.

You'd kinda hope he'd be saying "I'll work for a token 1 this year because I've been in charge when it's gone badly and because it'll be 61K a month saved without hurting our employees or customers"

Never happens though does it

Disneybumble
17-06-2009, 06:54 AM
My BFF husband is a baggage handler at BA. They couldn't manage a week let alone a month without his salary. Shows how out of touch the CEO is. Makes me furious that his understanding of his employes is zero.

Debbie2
17-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I think this is the thin end of the wedge and will have little effect at the rate BA is losing money - over 400m so far this year. As CEO of a failing Company it is a grand gesture (and will surely have no major financial impact on the Walsh household...shame on him if it does) to give up a months salary but a different matter for those on the the average wage who are struggling to make ends meet. If BA has found itself in this position then a recovery strategy/package is needed. I can see Messrs Brown and Darling getting the cheque book out again.