PDA

View Full Version : My laptop is no more....

MystikPiglit
17-06-2009, 05:01 PM
:cry1:

.... but DH, who is possibly the best husband in the world, has offered to buy me a new one. :worship:

Any suggestions please? I don't want to spend more than 300 if possible.

Thank you.

ukwdwnut
17-06-2009, 06:27 PM
one word toshiba :D

tbh diane you wont get anything decent for 300 on a good brand

ieuanr
17-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Try and get something with XP Home and not a version of Vista - at this sort of money you will not get anything powerful enough to run Vista.

Some places offer graded notebooks for sale - often with damaged packaging or ex-demo machines. Some of the netbook type small notebooks come with XP Home and they are fine for browsing the internet and sending email.

Samsung have a couple of models you can pick up for 300 pounds. The cheapest Toshiba netbook is about 320 I think.

MystikPiglit
18-06-2009, 09:39 AM
one word toshiba :D

tbh diane you wont get anything decent for 300 on a good brand

Thank you. :-) I had an Advent. Until it died it was excellent, but that has put me off a bit now so I will have a look at the Toshibas.:thumbsup:

Try and get something with XP Home

Some places offer graded notebooks for sale .

:yes: DH has also told me I need XP Home. I have my little netbook, thank goodness or I'd be cut off from Secrets :eek: , but I need a bigger screen for everyday use.

ukwdwnut
18-06-2009, 09:55 AM
a minimum of a core duo or a core2duo is best or the dual core x2 amd based processors are real good too and cheaper than the intel variants :) i bought a few for the school for about 350 i think

ukwdwnut
18-06-2009, 10:00 AM
this (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_L300D-224_Laptop_PSLC9E-01200KEN&pagetype=version&page=) is the best priced and spec for the money tosh on one site

MystikPiglit
18-06-2009, 10:05 AM
a minimum of a core duo or a core2duo is best or the dual core x2 amd based processors are real good too and cheaper than the intel variants

Me no speako geek. :wink:

this (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_L300D-224_Laptop_PSLC9E-01200KEN&pagetype=version&page=) is the best priced and spec for the money tosh on one site

Now, shopping I do understand. :D :thumbsup: I'll pass that on to DH. Thank you. :thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
18-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Me no speako geek. :wink:

Now, shopping I do understand. :D :thumbsup: I'll pass that on to DH. Thank you. :thumbsup:

lol that was for hubs to look at as i know you wont have a clue what im on about lol

your welcome diane :D

MystikPiglit
18-06-2009, 11:56 AM
DH said, 'Thanks Mick, that looks like a good bet. :thumbsup:'

ukwdwnut
18-06-2009, 02:30 PM
DH said, 'Thanks Mick, that looks like a good bet. :thumbsup:'

your welcome diane :D

ieuanr
18-06-2009, 05:20 PM
That Toshiba will come with Vista pre-loaded. You have to install the recovery CD that comes with the machine to load XP Professional. It is very straightforward.

Incidentally they have a couple of quid in hand on that machine - you may be able to get them to shave off another 10.

Also Toshiba offer an extension to a 3 year collect and return warranty for 50 + VAT might be worth considering.

MystikPiglit
18-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you very much for that info. :thumbsup: