PDA

View Full Version : You'll all be eggsasperated!

josh.p.
18-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Here are more egg pics:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/DSCF1094.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/DSCF1090.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/josh7456/DSCF1091.jpg

More development going on. When you candle them from one side all you get is shadow because of the embryo. It's that gunk on the side of the egg nearest to the camera!

Mari
18-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I cant see the pics from work, but just had to say Im LOVING the titles on all your egg threads :)

Great job Josh!

catrancher
18-06-2009, 07:12 PM
If you don't stop shining your flashlight on those little guys they won't get any sleep and then they'll be all grumpy when they hatch! :taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... needs his beauty sleep, he does!)

Watchinherskip
18-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Josh I have been thinking about you a lot. This past week or so, we had three nesting eastern box tortoises in our yard. I almost ran over one while mowing my lawn this week. She was almost entirely burried in my lawn. Can't wait for the little ones to hatch. I think we may have caused the change in their egg laying. We put up a border along the shrubs next to our house and I think they can't make it over it easily. They always used to lay the eggs amongst the low shrubs.

josh.p.
18-06-2009, 09:01 PM
If you don't stop shining your flashlight on those little guys they won't get any sleep and then they'll be all grumpy when they hatch! :taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... needs his beauty sleep, he does!)
LOL- I only do it once a week!! :rotfl:

Josh I have been thinking about you a lot. This past week or so, we had three nesting eastern box tortoises in our yard. I almost ran over one while mowing my lawn this week. She was almost entirely burried in my lawn. Can't wait for the little ones to hatch. I think we may have caused the change in their egg laying. We put up a border along the shrubs next to our house and I think they can't make it over it easily. They always used to lay the eggs amongst the low shrubs.
If a gravid tortoise or box turtle wanted to lay her eggs in a place- she would make it across! If she is doing it your lawn area then the chances are it is a suitable site for them. Try not to disturb them until they actually start to drop their eggs- they go into a sort of trance and then it is safe to approach them. I set up a tripod so that Yanni could be left alone and watched her from a distance. You are very lucky to get them to lay in your garden! They are very nice looking turtles, particularly the males with their red eyes. They do require different care to a tortoise- a lot more humid. Perhaps there is percipitation in your grass and that is why they are nesting there.

sunsetlakes
18-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow!! It's no eggsageration to say that I'm really impressed............. Are you still going to do the eggsfactor? It's great to see the photo's, thank you :thumbsup:

josh.p.
18-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow!! It's no eggsageration to say that I'm really impressed............. Are you still going to do the eggsfactor? It's great to see the photo's, thank you :thumbsup:
Thats a CRACKING pun.... :rotfl:

I will do the eggsfactor thing but I've got to wait a while first as they aren't due to hatch yet and I need to position the webcam at the particular egg that is hatching- incubator isn't big enough to focus on all of them

Dawn
19-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Eggxcellent!!

Isafari
19-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Eggxcellent!!

....eggxactly! :yes:

sunsetlakes
19-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Thats a CRACKING pun.... :rotfl:

I will do the eggsfactor thing but I've got to wait a while first as they aren't due to hatch yet and I need to position the webcam at the particular egg that is hatching- incubator isn't big enough to focus on all of them

Great to hear you are still hatching your plan. I'm not yolking when I say I can't wait for June to be ova so we can get cracking with the hatching - bet you wished you'd never egged me on, i'm becoming a right eggomaniac so think i'd better eggxit fast :exit:

josh.p.
19-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Great to hear you are still hatching your plan. I'm not yolking when I say I can't wait for June to be ova so we can get cracking with the hatching - bet you wished you'd never egged me on, i'm becoming a right eggomaniac so think i'd better eggxit fast :exit:
:rotfl: I am CRACKING up!!! You are a real yolker!

Disneybumble
19-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Superb LInda.:thumbsup:

Josh you will never bore me always very happy to hear about the babies.