PDA

View Full Version : More Ryan Air madness!

mumof2
27-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Has Michael O'Leary lost the plot? I just saw this on a travel news website

Right now Ryanair is considering the possibility of banning check-in luggage.

This is all part of a new system that will have passengers carry their own bags all the way to the tarmac beside the aircraft themselves.

Michael O’Leary, the chief executive of Ryanair, detailed the proposal just the other day.

He went over how all the passengers will pass all of their bags through the security checks and then carry them to the terminals to their flight.

However, right now, the security checks have only been used for carry on bags, not for all passenger bags.

Mr O’Leary went on to say that this new plan could save as much as €20 million for the airline alone.

A lot of this would be through not having to pay baggage handlers, which would be a job passed down to the consumers.

However, Mr O’Leary did not give a time line in which this new plan would be introduced; nor was he able to say what airports it could operate this new plan in. After all, not all airports will be willing to check in all bags through security.

Mr O’Leary went on to say that it was envisaged that some passengers would be allowed unlimited carry on baggage for free. However, this would be subject to airport regulations.

The plan right now has customers carrying their baggage to the airplane, checking it into the cargo hold at the steps of the plane, and then collecting their items as they leave the plane at their destination.

The exact details of the system still remain unclear. However, it is expected that this could cause unwanted delays.

Presumably the next stage will be him charging you to carry your own luggage to the plane, or to walk up the steps, or to breathe!

Kate
27-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh its just ridiculous isnt it - people will stop using the airline!!

Debbie2
27-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Will that man will consider anything to increase revenue.

I can't see this happening for security reasons. Dangerous items could be placed into the cases after they have been screened.

mumof2
27-06-2009, 12:10 PM
i was told recently that he wanted to cut the huge salaries of some staff members by over half - they were huge but i can't remember the details, can you imagine having a boss like that?!

Ursula
27-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Next you'll be expected to fly yerselves there!

mumof2
27-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Next you'll be expected to fly yerselves there!

i'd pay for that!