PDA

View Full Version : Kitten potty training!

Kate
27-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Now ive vertainly had my fair share of kittens and cats, and in all the years ive had them not once have i had problems with getting them to use the litter tray - until now!!

As you all know i have a beeeautiful litter of 5 kittens, 4 of them use the tray perfectly, 1 however will not!! I cannot get her to wee in the tray by her own accord. I have spent the last 3 days putting her in there frequently and she will go, but she will not choose to go in there if that makes sense? Needless to say im continuously cleaning up little puddles and im completely paranoid that my house will start smelling of wee! Bleurgh!

Any suggestions as to how i get her to use the tray - ive tried everything i can think of - apart from moving the tray to her favourite "spots" because i dont want to mess up the other 4!

Any help greatly received! :worship:

Ursula
27-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm no expert believe me... but I would get her her own little tray and different litter?????????

Johnie
27-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I'd try her own litter and tray as well. Some cats do not want to use a tray that other cats have used.

uscwest
27-06-2009, 10:59 PM
When we had Tom (we lost him a year and 1/2 ago) and brought Oreo into the house she would NOT use the same litter box as he. We bought her one of her own and she has happily used it since.

Ursula
27-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Ah see! There ya go.. I do have some common sense somewhere then!

Kate
28-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks everyone. I dont think thats a problem to her though because she will happily use it when you put her in there, she just doesnt seem to want to go in there if that makes sense? Saying that though, she will always go in there for her, erm, number 2's just never for wee's!

Johnie
28-06-2009, 04:38 AM
Is she fighting with any of the other cats? I have one cat who is skittish of another of our cats and she will not go in any room that she can't easily get out of.

You might also want to take her to the vet to see if she has a urinary tract infection since she's just having problems with peeing.

mainecoon lover
29-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Do you have a closed or open litter tray. I would be getting her checked out at the vets as well. This could be a bad habit she has just gotten into and it needs breaking. Limit were she can go. Wash the area with biological washing pwd/liguid, it gets rid of the smell.

josh.p.
29-06-2009, 12:08 PM
If they are anything like dogs, then she may just be able to smell her wee and therefore is using the same places (the carpet etc) again and again.

Mix some biological washing powder with warm water and and a squeeze of lemon, the biological washing powder has enzymes in that will get rid of the smell so she will stop 'scenting' (If cats even do that)

Kate
03-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Sorry everyone, i read your replies but didnt get round to posting (ok, i forgot, brain just hasnt been the same since having a child!!!)

Sooooo, things are good now! I was home for a couple of days and was periodically putting her on the litter tray, as soon as she woke up, any sign of sniffing round and she was on there and bless her she would wee straight away. We have now cracked it - hurrah! No accidents now for a good few days and i can finally relax!!

Thank you for your suggestions though, they were greatly appreciated!

Ursula
03-07-2009, 09:18 PM
aw bless her heart XXXXXXXX

Johnie
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
YAY!!