PDA

View Full Version : Princess card

wdwgrandma
28-06-2009, 11:08 PM
I made the following card using my Cricut, Cricut Design Studio, and a .cut file from the Custom Crops website:

disneymom
28-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Thats flat out the most beautiful hand made card I've ever seen wdwgrandma. How long did it take??

wdwgrandma
28-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Believe it or not, it didn't take that long. The hardest part was picking out the papers to use.

The card front is 3 layers thick - with pop dots between the layers.

Johnie
28-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Gorgeous!!

foreverducky
28-06-2009, 11:39 PM
That's beautiful!

Long time no 'see' donna. :D

wdwgrandma
29-06-2009, 11:10 AM
That's beautiful!

Long time no 'see' donna. :D
Thanks, Ducky! It has been awhile. There just aren't enough hours in the day, it seems.

Isafari
29-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Beautiful card Donna :yes:

jojo
29-06-2009, 11:15 AM
thats stunning, whats the cricut? is it a special card marking template?

wdwgrandma
29-06-2009, 11:18 AM
The Cricut is a machine used to cut out shapes in various sizes. It uses cartridges that you purchase separately, and the cartridges are usually themed. I have one that is called Mickey and Friends. It has the Fab 5 along with their "icons'. I also have Dreams Come True and Happily Ever After, which are both Disney Princess based.

wishonastar
29-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I cant believe someone made that it looks so professional :worship:

jojo
29-06-2009, 12:04 PM
The Cricut is a machine used to cut out shapes in various sizes. It uses cartridges that you purchase separately, and the cartridges are usually themed. I have one that is called Mickey and Friends. It has the Fab 5 along with their "icons'. I also have Dreams Come True and Happily Ever After, which are both Disney Princess based.

wow thats amazing! Which is the best cricut machine to get, I'm just looking on ebay and there are a few different kinds?

also what would I need to get with it to make it useful to me immediately

wdwgrandma
29-06-2009, 12:13 PM
There are 3 different styles of Cricut.

1. Original "baby bug" Cricut - uses 6"x12" paper
2. Cricut Create - also uses 6"x12" paper but has more functionality
3. Cricut Expression - uses 12"x12" paper and has the most functionality and creates items in more sizes than the other two.

I have the Expression although I did start out with the baby bug. To get started you need the Cricut (obviously), a cartridge, a mat, paper, and your imagination! All cartridges work on all three Cricuts. Mats are made for each of the Cricuts.

To this I've added the Cricut Design Studio software (which runs on my PC - I can then connect my PC to my Cricut), and I have a device called a "Jukebox". When you are using the Cricut by itself, it can only hold one cartridge. If you need a design off another cartridge you have to turn off the Cricut, remove the current cartridge, and then replace it with the new cartridge. The Jukebox holds 6 cartridges and connects to your Cricut. This gives you access to those 6 cartridges.

Mari
29-06-2009, 05:43 PM
wow!!

thats beautiful Donna!

ukwdwnut
29-06-2009, 06:10 PM
great card donna, but then again thats all you expect from a card that you make :)

wdwgrandma
29-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks, Mari! I keep thinking of all the little "princesses" I know who would like this card. I'm trying to figure out how I can give a version of it to my 3 older granddaughters who are all in their teens...

Mari
29-06-2009, 09:29 PM
maybe if you change the colors so they arent as girly, but more grown up? reds, black, browns....purples..

wdwgrandma
29-06-2009, 09:31 PM
maybe if you change the colors so they arent as girly, but more grown up? reds, black, browns....purples..
Maybe... That's a good idea! Fortunately their birthdays are done for the year, so I have time to figure it out.

sunsetlakes
29-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Your card is beautiful, well done. I agree for the older girls a more grown up colour scheme would be great - they would make lovely graduation cards if you knew the colour scheme of the girls dresses, so you can co-ordinate them. :thumbsup:

wdwgrandma
29-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Got a few years before I have to worry about graduation cards, but it could also make a gorgeous wedding dress - or maybe a witch's gown for Halloween!!

Debbie2
30-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Beautiful card, Donna. You have inspired me to go and make something. I have been scrapbooking and haven't made a card for ages and have quite a few birthdays coming up :)

wdwgrandma
30-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Beautiful card, Donna. You have inspired me to go and make something. I have been scrapbooking and haven't made a card for ages and have quite a few birthdays coming up :)
I can't wait to see what you create!

But I know how you feel... I haven't scrapbooked in absolute ages! I always seem to have a card to make. I never seem to get ahead!

mumof2
30-06-2009, 05:09 PM
oh wowzer! that's beautiful Donna :hug2:

you've inspired me to try something like that too only mine would have to be freehand instead.

wdwgrandma
30-06-2009, 05:38 PM
oh wowzer! that's beautiful Donna :hug2:

you've inspired me to try something like that too only mine would have to be freehand instead.
Thank you! I don't think it would be too difficult to free hand. Now, I couldn't do it because I can't draw, much less cut, a straight line! LOL

Mandy
02-07-2009, 07:22 AM
They are beautiful cards!

mumof2
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
ooh ooh i made a dress! it's not the same as yours though donna, i gave it to Mum to give to my aunty for her birthday as i made it in the colour she loves. will post a piccy later!

thanks for inspiring me!:hug2:

Wendy
02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Beautiful card Donna :hug2:

wdwgrandma
02-07-2009, 10:59 AM
ooh ooh i made a dress! it's not the same as yours though donna, i gave it to Mum to give to my aunty for her birthday as i made it in the colour she loves. will post a piccy later!

thanks for inspiring me!:hug2:
I can't wait to see it! I bet it's gorgeous! And I wouldn't expect it to be the same as mine. I'd expect to see YOUR flair...YOUR imagination...YOUR interpretation!

Heck, if I were to make that card for someone else, it would be different because I'd base my design on what that person likes. My mom, for example, loves the color green. And she loves roses. And pearls. So a dress card for her would contain those elements. But my oldest granddaughter loves zebra print. Now, can you imagine that ball gown with zebra stripes on it? LOL

Using someone's design is called "scraplifting", and it should be considered an honor when someone "scraplifts" your design to use. So if I've inspired you, that's fantastic!

mumof2
02-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I can't wait to see it! I bet it's gorgeous! And I wouldn't expect it to be the same as mine. I'd expect to see YOUR flair...YOUR imagination...YOUR interpretation!

Heck, if I were to make that card for someone else, it would be different because I'd base my design on what that person likes. My mom, for example, loves the color green. And she loves roses. And pearls. So a dress card for her would contain those elements. But my oldest granddaughter loves zebra print. Now, can you imagine that ball gown with zebra stripes on it? LOL

Using someone's design is called "scraplifting", and it should be considered an honor when someone "scraplifts" your design to use. So if I've inspired you, that's fantastic!

you have Donna, you certainly have! As you've seen it was very different to your design. I loved creating it, it was great fun. I have made a template for another dress but have no suitable papers at the moment.

Scraplifting, I'll remember that - thank you Donna! :hug2:

wdwgrandma
02-07-2009, 10:01 PM
You are most welcome! And thank you for giving me an idea to scraplift!!!

Ursula
04-07-2009, 08:06 AM
All I can say is this.... You're in the wrong business Donna... get to and start a card making business would ya. I would buy... who else is sick of what's out there now.

wdwgrandma
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
All I can say is this.... You're in the wrong business Donna... get to and start a card making business would ya. I would buy... who else is sick of what's out there now.
Thank you! That is quite a compliment! I wish I could afford to do it for a living. I occasionally make cards for co-workers, but I never charge for them.

Ursula
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
It's never too late X

wdwgrandma
04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
The next problem... How do you know how much to charge?

Wendy
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
The next problem... How do you know how much to charge?

I know what you mean Donna, that's why I gave up making cakes, I just never knew what to charge for them. I do miss it, especially seeing people's faces when they see the cakes - that was all part of it for me :yes:

I only make cakes for people I know now and I don't charge.

wdwgrandma
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
You got it, Wendy. How much do you charge? Your labor is worth something...

Wendy
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
You got it, Wendy. How much do you charge? Your labor is worth something...

:yes: that's the problem. When you spend hours making something, in my case flowers out of icing it can take a couple of days to make all the flowers and then turn them into posies or bouquets and people just aren't prepared to pay for that.

wdwgrandma
04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
So true...

mumof2
04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
the cards my sister and i sell in the shop, we make the prices up as we go along. As long as we scrape a few pennies back that's all we want! We'll never be rich on it and certainly don't make a profit, but it's fun and gives us the chance to experiment!

My Mum insists on paying us for the cards we make for her but we don't take a lot from her of course, and I make more cards as 'samples' which I give to her for her own use - that's my way round the problem of her wanting to pay for them!

I think most crafters, whatever their craft is, don't make anywhere near a profit, I know some do but i believe most don't!

XpunkyXduckyX
21-08-2009, 01:15 PM
your cards are amazing! :)