PDA

View Full Version : Moving house to get kids into a better school

pigletpete
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
ok a bit of a dilemma here. If the only schools in your catchment area were rubbish, would you move house just to get your kids into a better school? or do you think it's dishonest?

I dont mean the schools are a little worse or we're biased against them for no reason, the schools are a lot worse and always in the low end of the statistics.

If we move 10 miles we'll go from that to some of the best anywhere but friends have told us that its cheating basically and stupid to move house, what do you think??

Dawn
05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I'd do it if we could afford it. The secondary school we are in the catchment for is appalling and I'd move like a shot if we could afford to.

Disfan
05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I agree :yes: you have to do what you think is best for your children

I think what your friends may be thinking of is the people who've lied about where they live and pretended to live with grandparents and things like that to get in.

Ursula
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I think your *friends* are idiots and possibly jealous that you have a chance to move and they do not. You have ONE life so live it.... Move if you need to. End of and no explanantions needed to anyone because it's none of their damn business. :image103:

josh.p.
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Is the school statistically bad or does it just have a bad reputation?

My old high school had a terrible reputation, if you mentioned to someone that you went to Park High School they'd instantly think you where dumb or stupid. I went there because I liked the facilities and my sister went there and really liked it. It was a brilliant school, great teachers, some badly behaved students but that happens everywhere, and I came out with excellent results.

If the school is rumoured to be bad, I'd go along and have a look at it's facilities, ofsted reports etc, and see what it has to offer. Your children will only do as well as they try.

Taja
06-07-2009, 12:41 AM
As Josh says, check out the school(s) personally. We moved from an excellent school district to Los Angeles school district when I was in high school. We needed a larger house to accommodate my grandmother and my parents couldn't afford it in the other school district--it was double the price! :eek: Luckily, there was an optional school, which had an excellent music and art program and decent academic program, so I was able to go there, as long as my parents provided transportation. No school buses, unfortunately, and we lived about 20 miles from the school. Not ideal, but it worked.

Definitely do what is best for your family and ignore friends and neighbors who are naysayers. You certainly are not cheating if you move to a better school district (or catchment area, as you call it). You most likely will be paying a higher purchase price or rent in the new area. If it's what you want and you can afford it, do it. :)

Disneybumble
06-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Ignore your "friends" it's not cheating it's doing what you think is best.

Debbie2
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
If you can afford it I would move. Education is so important. My DD went to a school out of our area having successfully passed (in the top 120 applicants) the entrance exam. I invigilate in the school she would have attended and give thanks every day I go in that she didn't have to go there. Some of her old primary school friends are there and they had such potential at end of Year 6 and have been so let down by the school...that could have been my DD.

I would have moved house had I needed to at the time.

wishonastar
07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I agree with everyone else, I dont understand anyone complaining at you at all!