PDA

View Full Version : diets that work?

dvcjane
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi all :wave: are there any diets or plans that have worked for you :( I keep yoyoing and Im so depressed

tb2830
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
the break up diet works a treat for me :donald:

luvthemansion
05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
:laugh: smae here

princess-pink
05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Just eat healthy food, put half normal portion on a small plate, (your stomach will shrink and get used to small portions) no snacking in between meals or if you are still hungry have fruit, drink lots of water to fill you up and flush out your system.
Maybe at the weekend have a treat as a reward.

I only eat healthy food, my stomach can't cope with something like greasy fish and chips from the chip shop, just gives me indigestion, but oven chips or potato wedges and fish in breadcrumbs would be a healthier version.

Are you stuck on eating takeaway food? I think some people get stuck on stuff like that as a habit and they get used to it and enjoy that rather than healthy stuff, it becomes their way of life, they don't think about what is in it.

You must remember, you are what you eat, eat healthy - you will be healthy, eat fatty foods - you will be fat.

Another tip - don't go food shopping on a hungry stomach, you will come home with all the wrong stuff!

You have to be strong and be positive.

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I've lost 4st so far with Cambridge Diet and I know quite a few people who have used it and kept the weight off for several years now.
Have a google for it.:yes:

keith
05-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Thats my problem for sure :( I don't eat tons but I do eat the absolute wrong things at the wrong times

Johnie
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
oh me too Keith. I don't typically eat breakfast. I'm not hungry when I wake up and then I am just gogogogo all day till I realize I am starving sometime in the afternoon. Then, of course, I eat rubbish. Combine all that with a lack of exercise and predisposition to being heavy and voila!

Ok I looked at the Cambridge diet....no wonder your losing weight it's only 850 calories a day.

keith
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM
oh me too Keith. I don't typically eat breakfast. I'm not hungry when I wake up and then I am just gogogogo all day till I realize I am starving sometime in the afternoon. Then, of course, I eat rubbish. Combine all that with a lack of exercise and predisposition to being heavy and voila!

Johnie, that's EXACTLY me :yes: thank goodnes someone else out there is the same!

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok I looked at the Cambrdige diet....no wonder your losing weight it's only 850 calories a day.
It's under 500 calories actually.:tongue:
The diets designed by doctors so it is perfectly healthy to do and you are well monitored while you do it. It's nutritionly balanced so you get everything your body need in a day to not go into starvation...I'm going to stop now because I sound like a walking advert! LOL.:tongue:

keith
05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
It's under 500 calories actually.:tongue:

Seriously? 500? I've got a budgie that eats more than that :lol:

I'll go take a look though because I can imagine if the food is right, we wouldnt need so many calories but everything would count.

Johnie
05-07-2009, 05:28 PM
500 calories?! I can't even imagine what you would eat.

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
You get milkshake and soup packs as well as chocolate bars. Think slimfast but with less sugar and for 3 meals a day rather than just 2.

keith
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Im thinking no more than four packs of polos and lots of water but hopefully there's a bit more than that

Johnie
05-07-2009, 05:34 PM
You get milkshake and soup packs as well as chocolate bars. Think slimfast but with less sugar and for 3 meals a day rather than just 2.

I'd never be able to do that.....I like to chew :tongue:

I've tried all sorts of stuff but nothing really works. Though I will say I had the most success with Atkins.

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd never be able to do that.....I like to chew :tongue:

I've tried all sorts of stuff but nothing really works. Though I will say I had the most success with Atkins.
It work in a similar way to Atkins putting your body into ketosis to burn your fat stores.
You do get chewy chocolate bars on Cambridge so you do get to chew stuff so it's not to bad. I have to admit I've developed a bit of a chewing gum habit whilst I've been on it!:tongue:

goofygal
05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
just want to say please no one try any radical diet before speaking to your doctor. it really can be dangerous :hug2:

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
just want to say please no one try any radical diet before speaking to your doctor. it really can be dangerous :hug2:
Your doctor has to be informed when you start Cambridge Diet don't worry. If you say you don't want to have your doctor informed then you're told you can't do the diet.:yes:

goofygal
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Your doctor has to be informed when you start Cambridge Diet don't worry. If you say you don't want to have your doctor informed then you're told you can't do the diet.:yes:

thats really good :yes:

Britchick
05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
i think that the only real way to achieve long term weight loss is by changing your habits. We all know what to do and there are no quick fixes. I do believe that some are predisposed to being heavier though. I know people that have done the lighter life (meal replacement) diet and have spent a fortune on it then gone back to the same weight that they were before.

Johnie
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM

that is very good to know :yes:

Claire
05-07-2009, 05:54 PM
I've lost 6 stone on 1500 calories a day. I think doing it slowly is the healthiest and most sustainable way.

Johnie
05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
i think that the only real way to achieve long term weight loss is by changing your habits. We all know what to do and there are no quick fixes. I do believe that some are predisposed to being heavier though. I know people that have done the lighter life (meal replacement) diet and have spent a fortune on it then gone back to the same weight that they were before.

I completely agree. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life using the meal replacement plans, you are doomed to gain the weight back. I can see it as being a good tool to kick start weight loss though.

We all want a quick fix but we didn't gain the weight that quickly.

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I completely agree. Unless you plan to spend the rest of your life using the meal replacement plans, you are doomed to gain the weight back. I can see it as being a good tool to kick start weight loss though.

We all want a quick fix but we didn't gain the weight that quickly.
It's been shown that you are no more likely to gain the weight back after a meal replacement diet than you are with any other diet. Provided you don't go back to your old eating habits you will keep the weight off.
The only difference between a 'normal' diet and a meal replacment diet is that with a meal replacement you have to go through a few weeks where you 're-feed' yourself by slowly reindroducing food. After you've done that you're no more likely to gain the weight back than if you had lost the weight on a healthy eating plan.:yes:

Dawn
05-07-2009, 06:26 PM
What Britchick and Julie said. Slow and steady with a reasonable amount of calories.

The essential rule about weight loss is that you need to eat less calories than you burn off each day so upping the exercise will always help.

And I don't know of any doctor that I have worked with that would condone a diet of less than 1500 calories a day. It's not healthy.

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
And I don't know of any doctor that I have worked with that would condone a diet of less than 1500 calories a day. It's not healthy.
It's perfectly healthy as long as you don't stay on it for longer than 12 weeks at a time. There is more scientific proof in very low calorie diets being a good thing than a bad thing (have a google if you don't believe me).
Doctors quite regularly condone things like the cambridge diet and lighter life because it is far better that the person is doing something about their weight than not.
Obesity is a huge (no pun intended!:tongue:) problem in this country so when doctors see someone taking charge of their weight problem most of them are very encouraging.
For the record I've never known a doctor not to agree to let someone do the diet I'm on and I've been around this diet for quite a while now (I've been doing this diet in stages since the beginning of last year due to unrelated health issues).
I really don't want this to be taken the wrong way but that sort of dismissive attitude is very common and it usually comes from someone who knows nothing about the diet (please don't take this as a dig at you I get that sort of responce a lot so I just feel the need to point out that people need to research before commenting).

josh.p.
05-07-2009, 07:21 PM
For me, the key to loosing weight would be not to drink fizzy drinks and snacks, and do a bit more exercise.

For 'main meals' I actually eat really healthily. A low-fat diet (probably because I'm vegetarian so its hard to eat a fatty diet), lot's of veg and fruit.

However, in college, I often grab a quick snack at break, and it's just too convinient for me to grab a chocolate bar or a waffle when I could get an apple or a piece of fruit from home. Plus, a small bottle of water is 1.20, when coke is only like 80p a bottle. I'm not a stinge-bag, but 1.20 for a smaller than usual bottle of water is extortionate!

dvcjane
05-07-2009, 07:26 PM
It's perfectly healthy as long as you don't stay on it for longer than 12 weeks at a time. There is more scientific proof in very low calorie diets being a good thing than a bad thing (have a google if you don't believe me).

:hug2: I think when people hear this they naturally think OMG no way! but I know from my own research that in fact a very low calorie, but with sufficient proteins, vitimins, diet has been linked to longer life in many tribes. I dont think I could necessarily do it but I think youre right

sunsetlakes
05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Im thinking no more than four packs of polos and lots of water but hopefully there's a bit more than that

LOL Keith, but don't forget you can eat as many of the holes in the polo's as you want :thumbsup:

josh.p.
05-07-2009, 10:22 PM
On BBC Three there is a diet program now- one woman in particular uses a meal-replacement thing advised by her GP as she was over 3 stone overweight.

She went on it for 12 weeks at a time, lost 11lbs in the first week, 6 in the next, and 5 each week after that. After a few weeks on the diet she didn't feel right and got rushed to hospital. It caused her to form gall stones (since the gall bladder breaks down fat and she suddenly had a no-fat diet.), and she had to have her gall bladder removed. The person who did the operation said it was the 3rd person in a year that was on the same diet (which was OK'd by each of their GP's- the only specification is that you are 3 stone overweight!)

Quite worrying that it is reccomended by GP's yet causes so many problems. The on-show dietition said that anything less than 1,000 calories a day is going to put serious strain on your gall bladder.

Deb
06-07-2009, 06:03 AM
I agree with Britchick. I believe it's about changing the habits your mind and body have that is the most important and effective thing. My friend and colleague Pete Cohen has a great programme that works for so many people and has done for years - he does lots of tv work (GMTV Inchloss Island, This Morning with Eamon Holmes etc) as well as lots of private clients, and it's a different approach to losing weight. It's worth a look at least:

Weight Loss Programme - Pete Cohen's petecohen.tv (http://www.petecohen.tv/)

Weight Loss Guru - Top weight loss tips and advice from Pete Cohen (http://www.weightlossguru.com/)

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 07:14 AM
On BBC Three there is a diet program now- one woman in particular uses a meal-replacement thing advised by her GP as she was over 3 stone overweight.

She went on it for 12 weeks at a time, lost 11lbs in the first week, 6 in the next, and 5 each week after that. After a few weeks on the diet she didn't feel right and got rushed to hospital. It caused her to form gall stones (since the gall bladder breaks down fat and she suddenly had a no-fat diet.), and she had to have her gall bladder removed. The person who did the operation said it was the 3rd person in a year that was on the same diet (which was OK'd by each of their GP's- the only specification is that you are 3 stone overweight!)

Quite worrying that it is reccomended by GP's yet causes so many problems. The on-show dietition said that anything less than 1,000 calories a day is going to put serious strain on your gall bladder.
Did you know that your gall bladder is an un-needed organ much like your appendix? You can live a perfectly normal life without it. Did you also know that most people have a certain amount of gallstones by the time they die but have gone their entire life without any affects?
Yes this diet does raise more awareness of gallstone (and the problems they can cause) but the stones themselves are actually caused by the high fat diet the dieter was on before not because they are on the diet.
I had my gallbladder removed last year due to gallstones caused by the diet I used to be on (doctors words). I had 2 weeks off my diet when I went to WDW last year and it was the food I ate there that triggered the side affects because my body was now used to living on a very low fat diet it reacted when I had high fat again. This was not the fault of the low calorie diet this was the fault of the high fat diet I used to be on, the low calorie diet had just brought to light what I had been doing to myself for years.
I also watched that programme by the way and the doctor did say when someone has a lot of weight to lose (I had 8 stone to start with) they are great as they are more healthy for that person than staying the weight they currently are.:yes:

Dawn
06-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Did you know that your gall bladder is an un-needed organ much like your appendix?

It is a needed organ as it stores bile produced by the liver and uses it to break down fats. It's not like the appendix that gets removed and you go off and carry on as normal. If you have your gall bladder removed you have no bile to break down fats therefore you have severe problems digesting high fat foods. With no gall bladder you are on a restricted diet for the rest of your life and will probably need enzyme supplements too.

Ursula
06-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Ooh my Dad has had his gall bladder out and we didn't know this.

Claire
06-07-2009, 08:18 AM
It is a needed organ as it stores bile produced by the liver and uses it to break down fats. It's not like the appendix that gets removed and you go off and carry on as normal. If you have your gall bladder removed you have no bile to break down fats therefore you have severe problems digesting high fat foods. With no gall bladder you are on a restricted diet for the rest of your life and will probably need enzyme supplements too.

Ahh! Why wasn't I told this!! Could this be why I got so big since it was removed?

lozzy
06-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Just eat healthy food, put half normal portion on a small plate, (your stomach will shrink and get used to small portions) no snacking in between meals or if you are still hungry have fruit, drink lots of water to fill you up and flush out your system.
Maybe at the weekend have a treat as a reward.

I only eat healthy food, my stomach can't cope with something like greasy fish and chips from the chip shop, just gives me indigestion, but oven chips or potato wedges and fish in breadcrumbs would be a healthier version.

Are you stuck on eating takeaway food? I think some people get stuck on stuff like that as a habit and they get used to it and enjoy that rather than healthy stuff, it becomes their way of life, they don't think about what is in it.

You must remember, you are what you eat, eat healthy - you will be healthy, eat fatty foods - you will be fat.

Another tip - don't go food shopping on a hungry stomach, you will come home with all the wrong stuff!
You have to be strong and be positive.

Great advice, I never diet just try and eat as healthy as poss, I followed the Paul McKenna (I can make you thin) and it is great, eat smaller portions and slower so you brain has time to tell you your full, only eat if you are hungery. Don't get me wrong I do pick sometimes but you get used to thinking do I really want this or am I just eating as I'm bored, etc.

Tink
06-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I'll add one thing to the fray. :)

What works for some, does not work for all. Some of us have metabolic disorders that make the limited advice of "eat less, exercise more" very frustrating and disheartening. Some of us can eat less, exercise more and not drop a pound. I am one of those people.

For me, I had to learn WHAT to eat. Once I learned much of what I cannot eat (for my health) life started to turn around.

So, I'm always a little jumpy (and sad) when I hear "eat less" {piggy} and "exercise more" {lazy} and you'll lose. For some of us it has to be, "eat what works for your body, and you'll naturally eat less, and then you'll have energy enough to exercise (and it will feel good so you will) more."

Always check with your doctor and make it a serious check. Discuss why you want to lose weight. Discuss what you've tried and why it hasn't worked. Discuss what you are willing to do, have the time to do, have the money to do... make it a genuine consult/discussion.

Then work on learning what works for YOUR body. :yes: It most likely won't be what worked for me, or the next person in line.

Good luck, and remember to think healthy, not "weight loss" or "looking better" ok? :hug2:

lozzy
06-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll add one thing to the fray. :)

What works for some, does not work for all. Some of us have metabolic disorders that make the limited advice of "eat less, exercise more" very frustrating and disheartening. Some of us can eat less, exercise more and not drop a pound. I am one of those people.

For me, I had to learn WHAT to eat. Once I learned much of what I cannot eat (for my health) life started to turn around.

So, I'm always a little jumpy (and sad) when I hear "eat less" {piggy} and "exercise more" {lazy} and you'll lose. For some of us it has to be, "eat what works for your body, and you'll naturally eat less, and then you'll have energy enough to exercise (and it will feel good so you will) more."

Always check with your doctor and make it a serious check. Discuss why you want to lose weight. Discuss what you've tried and why it hasn't worked. Discuss what you are willing to do, have the time to do, have the money to do... make it a genuine consult/discussion.

Then work on learning what works for YOUR body. :yes: It most likely won't be what worked for me, or the next person in line.

Good luck, and remember to think healthy, not "weight loss" or "looking better" ok? :hug2:

Great advice tink and sorry if I upset anyone with my idea. My Aunty has under-active theroids so she really has problems losing weight, I feel so sorry for people that suffer with any weight related issus as it can be so disheartening like Tink said.

josh.p.
06-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Did you know that your gall bladder is an un-needed organ much like your appendix? You can live a perfectly normal life without it. Did you also know that most people have a certain amount of gallstones by the time they die but have gone their entire life without any affects?
Yes this diet does raise more awareness of gallstone (and the problems they can cause) but the stones themselves are actually caused by the high fat diet the dieter was on before not because they are on the diet.
I had my gallbladder removed last year due to gallstones caused by the diet I used to be on (doctors words). I had 2 weeks off my diet when I went to WDW last year and it was the food I ate there that triggered the side affects because my body was now used to living on a very low fat diet it reacted when I had high fat again. This was not the fault of the low calorie diet this was the fault of the high fat diet I used to be on, the low calorie diet had just brought to light what I had been doing to myself for years.
I also watched that programme by the way and the doctor did say when someone has a lot of weight to lose (I had 8 stone to start with) they are great as they are more healthy for that person than staying the weight they currently are.:yes:
The lady was off work for 3 months afterwards after the operation.
What the doctor actually said was that it is a hard job to decide whether someone should be on the liquid diet as it is a case of risking it with regards to their health, or letting them stay the weight they are and possibly developing other problems.

I mean, it's great that it's been a success for you, but you don't know how anyone is going to react to them. Apart from the health risks, I would be SO bored eating milkshakes and bars all day.

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I mean, it's great that it's been a success for you, but you don't know how anyone is going to react to them.
This could be said about any diet though.

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Your bile comes from your liver not your gall bladder, the gall bladder is purely for bile storage.
My surgeon informed me that yes you do carry on as normal after you have your gall bladder removed as your liver just carries on producing bile the same way it always did, the only side affect (not felt by everyone) being that you can occationally suffer with indigestion caused by the liver producing that extra amount of bile that it would normally store in your gall bladder. I personally have never had this side affect and can tell you that I can eat exactly the same now as I did before I had my gall bladder removed ( I couldn't do this diet for 3 months after the op and ate rubbish because I felt so sorry for myself:unsure:), and the enzyme supplement thing I've never even heard of that nevermind had to take them.
I get the impression you're from a medical background but I would say it is a little limited where this is concerned (that's not meant in an offensive way so I'm sorry if you take it that way).
Before I had my op I looked into this very carefully (probably a bit to much, I'm a bit of an obsessive person) and by the time it came round to me having it done my surgeon was sick of my questions. I'm very clued up on this procedure being that it was less than a year ago this all happened to me and am a little concerned, if you are from a medical background at some of the things you are saying to be honest as they aren't true for the majority of people that have this op.

Tink
06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
No problem Lozzy! :yes: Yep, thyroid is one of the many metabolic issues that can make a hash of traditional approaches to weight loss. :yes: There are many others, but that is one of the most familiar.

Not well versed in gall bladder function but I do know that Mama, since having her's removed has had to change the foods she is able to eat. Some things now make her dreadfully sick.

At any rate, diet is the food we eat, eh? Weight loss can be an approach that alters the food we eat. If you make a drastic change in what you eat, regardless of the success of that change (rapid, or good weight loss) if you return to eating the foods that you used to eat (that contributed to the weight gain) you will have the weight return.

If you don't learn what works for your body, and how much to eat to maintain the weight loss, and how much exercise to incorporate to offset any gain if you eat off the nutritional approach that works for you, putting on weight is going to happen.

The most valuable thing that I have learned to date is what foods to avoid, and what foods work for me (to lose weight and to keep it off). There are many unsafe approaches, and many that are short term, many that don't address the long term goal of remaining healthy.

All that to say, start with your doc, follow her or his recommendations and learn for yourself as you go along. You have to buy into your own health, and not expect a "diet" a pill, or any other approach to work like magic. It's work. Hard work. Long term, life commitment hard work. :) :yes:

Now, I'll ask you all Gentle People, to realize that this has become a sensitive topic so please everyone be especially committed to being very respectful of one another as you always are. :yes: :grouphug:

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry if I offened anyone Tink I just get very sensitive when people say the diet I'm on is 'BAD' for you and that it doesn't work, when they obviously don't know that much about it. I do understand it's a very contriversial way to lose weight for most people but that's because there is a lack of understanding and knowledge there.
As for the gall bladder thing it's unfortunate that Mama has had problems since having her removed but she one of the minority sadly for her (sorry Mama!:hug2:) and again I get very touchy when someone says it's the diet that causes it when that's simply not the case.
I quite happily respect how other choose to lose weight, be it weight watchers, slimming world or just simlply going it alone with calorie counting and upping the exercise, and good on those people that manage to do lose weight doing it that way; those diets never worked for me and I've finally found one that does, all I ask is that other people show me the same respect and be happy for me that I'm finally losing the weight in a way that suits me. I jonly mentioned it here as it's another route for the OP to explore with regards to their choice of diet.
I'm perfectly happy and healthy (I've been on and off for a year and I've not keeled over yet!:tongue:) on this diet and I'm 4st better off...yay me!!!!:yes:

Tink
06-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Oh no offense taken (never is, where none is intended). Just saying that (what we are both saying actually) what works for one person does not always work for another. :yes:

What one person experiences after the loss of a body part/organ is not necessarily what is going to be experienced by another. That is part of what makes the practice of medicine so very complex and difficult.

Just a reminder, we have discussion here, but never -EVER should anyone base their health needs on what they read on an internet board! That advice must come solely from your doctor or other health professional. :yes:

Ursula
06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Puts bucket and sponge away and tidies up the ropes......

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Puts bucket and sponge away and tidies up the ropes......
Not at all hun...:anxious:

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Did anyone watch House on the Hallmark channel this evening??? Gall bladder fun!:peekaboo:

Ursula
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Not at all hun...:anxious:

:hug2: lol.