PDA

View Full Version : have you ever been to an internet meet?

daftaboutdisney
05-07-2009, 06:25 PM
catching up on all the posts here and I read one about meeting up.

Have you ever been to an internet meetup and how did it go? I keep wondering it it'd be all awkward or really good fun?

piratekelly
05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
There's another forum I go on quite regularly that has the same subject matter as on here and they have meet ups all they time. Everyone seems to have a really great time and it doesn't seem awkward at all.:yes:

Dawn
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
A few. One in Blackpool, camping in the new forest, regular meets with Dizneyblonde and the odd trip to the Skywatcher residence. Chessington meet with another forum.

No one has turned out to be an axe murderer yet. :D

keith
05-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm rather shy (stop laughing at the back I AM!!!!!) but I have been to meets over time yep.

I usually go to various mousefest events in December including illuminations cruises etc. I've been to some lovely weddings between fellow Disney fans, I've been to the most wonderful party up in one of the mega expensive suites in the contemporary hotel where we watched wishes before having a treasure hunt around Disney!

I haven't really been to any in the UK, although I've watched a few on webcam :D

Dawn
05-07-2009, 06:31 PM
And a meet in Epcot on last trip to Disney.

keith
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
And a meet in Epcot on last trip to Disney.

oo yes I went to a dessert party meet too, but it was very dark and other than people standing on my foot, and a kid emptying his glass of orange down my pants, I didn't really have much interaction :lol:

Britchick
05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
i haven't been to a meet as such at Disney but i met Johnie in a bar there and i've also met a few others off here and some of them are now very good friends. :thumbsup:

wdwgrandma
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
We've been to quite a few. We've made some very wonderful friends - in person!

josh.p.
05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I've been to a miniture iPhone meet at the Trafford Centre :D

I've been to a fair few tortoise meets aswell.

sunsetlakes
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Like Keith - i've done the webcam meets (i'm the good girl on those occasions) I've also done a couple of other meets in person, and am organising one in our area (Wiltshire) in 3 weeks time - they've always been great fun, we all have something in common before meeting anyway, so even if you're shy like me you won't be short of something to say :whistle::halo:

Dizneyblonde
05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I've met up with loads of people on here and have made some very good friends.
I first met up with people when we all went camping.
Been on holiday with some.
On holiday at the same time as some.

Meeting up with Johnie,Becca and Dorothy in August.
Lisa and Tracy are at Disney the same time as us and we are meeting up with them.

justme
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
i have done the webcam meet and am attending one in 3 weeks time :) should be great fun

luvthemouse
05-07-2009, 08:02 PM
We've done a few...:tongue: I think it was the Rainforest Cafe one that had the most impact on my life... (Johnie, Becca, John, Donna....) A couple at O'hana, one in early December YEARS ago that I would like to forget some parts of...

wdwgrandma
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Of course there was that impromptu "meet" in front of the restrooms at AK...

Taja
05-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Attended one good-sized meet at WDW in December, 2004 and have met with various individuals at WDW from time-to-time. It's lovely to meet people the people we chat with all the time! :)

Haven't had any local/regional meets, as we're a bit short on members in the western US. :shrug:

luvthemouse
05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Of course there was that impromptu "meet" in front of the restrooms at AK...

Ah yes..my favorite!!! :hug2:

Johnie
06-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh my goodness, I think I've met a good number of people here.

Some of my very best friends in the whole wide world I've met online :yes:

Though I think my favorite meet wasn't planned at all. I was just sitting on a bench in MK and this couple passes me by and I start yelling "Diane!" but she didn't hear me so I had to go chase them down :tongue: I think I totally shocked our dear Isafari that day.

keith
06-07-2009, 01:02 AM
I love that some of you met people by accident in the parks! that's just amazingly cool

Johnie
06-07-2009, 01:04 AM
I love that some of you met people by accident in the parks! that's just amazingly cool

and puts the fear of God into your heart doesn't it? :tongue:

keith
06-07-2009, 01:22 AM
and puts the fear of God into your heart doesn't it? :tongue:

totally :laugh:

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 08:01 AM
i went to a big BBQ meet at the weekend there were about 60 people there had a good laugh and i set up the webcast that keith mentioned

ive also gone on camping holidays, and me dizneylblonde, lisaw, britchick, claire, been and stayed at DB's house and visa versa, and on a caravan holiday with her and her two kids, also met tracy [tb2830 there too] met dawn & skywatcher and his family at the very first meet

and i class all of them as very good friends we always have a laugh its great fun. we need to arrange one big one on secrets where most peeps can make it

would love to meet some of our US members over in disney if ever we are over the same time but thats not happened so far, also some more UK folk too :D

Isafari
06-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Though I think my favorite meet wasn't planned at all. I was just sitting on a bench in MK and this couple passes me by and I start yelling "Diane!" but she didn't hear me so I had to go chase them down :tongue: I think I totally shocked our dear Isafari that day.

:lol: I'm still not over it! It was the last thing I thought would happen on our search for a cold drink in MK
It was way cool meeting the two of you though (Johnie's daughter Alysia was there too) I can still remember the two seconds it took for me to register who this woman was in front of me and how she knew my name.

I've also met our Wendy and her husband who are an adorable couple :yes: We had planned on spending time together at WDW but due to illnesses, the time was spent in the villa. Still great to meet them though :yes:

tb2830
06-07-2009, 09:17 AM

NOT YET :donald:

tb2830
06-07-2009, 09:27 AM
teresa(dizneyblonde) and i got talking when i was going through another one of my rough time :donald: we swapped numbers etc then me and my friend went and stayed and had a blast. also meeting up with her and the kids while in the us and hopefully johnie too xx

also met mick (ukwdwnut) and dawn at teresa's.

and diane (isafari) and sarah (physcoalice) keep me going with there lovely messages that they send.

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 09:28 AM

mikey still laughs when i remind him he said that :lol:

he has ventured down to teresas a few times since and went to newquay caravanning with us and hers, he won the disney trivial persuit, i didnt know he knows so much about it

Mandy
06-07-2009, 09:38 AM
I haven't meet anyone yet:cry1:but I have spoken to some one on another forum a few times on the phone. :)

I am hoping to meet some of you if ever there is a meet that I can get to, even though I am VERY shy. :)

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 09:43 AM
i think we should get something together and see if we can get as many members go as possible

what about a 4 day sun holiday meet thats cheap and there are loads of holiday parks to choose from....that would be such a laugh and great to meet up again with some already met and some new peeps too????

Mandy
06-07-2009, 09:53 AM
i think we should get something together and see if we can get as many members go as possible

what about a 4 day sun holiday meet thats cheap and there are loads of holiday parks to choose from....that would be such a laugh and great to meet up again with some already met and some new peeps too????

It would be great Mick, but I think it might be difficult for some who are working to have a 4 day meet.:unsure:

sunsetlakes
06-07-2009, 09:56 AM
even though I am VERY shy. :)

:jawdrop:

Mandy
06-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I knew you were going to say that but it very true honest! :laugh:

sunsetlakes
06-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I knew you were going to say that but it very true honest! :laugh:

:point:I believe you Mandy................................ 'cos i'm really shy too :slap:

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
It would be great Mick, but I think it might be difficult for some who are working to have a 4 day meet.:unsure:

yeah maybe during kids holiday time would be easier for some tho

but just a day/weekend meet somewhere would be cool

Mandy
06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
yeah maybe during kids holiday time would be easier for some tho

but just a day/weekend meet somewhere would be cool

Yeah that would be great Mick! :)

(As you can see I have change my Username)

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah that would be great Mick! :)

(As you can see I have change my Username)

yep i did see :)

it would be cool if it could be arranged, i think this year would be a nono as kelly tried to set one up without much response. a themepark would be a good idea, done a few of them.

whats the one in the midlands, pretty central for a few to get toand quite easy from a lot of areas too and if everyone could do a weekend and get a cheapy at a travel lodge or something would be even better

Mandy
06-07-2009, 10:37 AM
yep i did see :)

it would be cool if it could be arranged, i think this year would be a nono as kelly tried to set one up without much response. a themepark would be a good idea, done a few of them.

whats the one in the midlands, pretty central for a few to get toand quite easy from a lot of areas too and if everyone could do a weekend and get a cheapy at a travel lodge or something would be even better

We have a couple here, Alton towers and Drayton Manor Park.
They are both very popular themeparks but I think Alton Tower is the most famous one to people further a field.

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 10:40 AM
We have a couple here, Alton towers and Drayton Manor Park.
They are both very popular themeparks but I think Alton Tower is the most famous one to people further a field.

that was the one drayton manor, never been to that one is it any good?

i know alton towers is huge and great to have a picnic and a laugh too so maybe that would be a goer as its pretty central for a lot of people, thats if people are interested of course lol

Mandy
06-07-2009, 10:48 AM
that was the one drayton manor, never been to that one is it any good?

i know alton towers is huge and great to have a picnic and a laugh too so maybe that would be a goer as its pretty central for a lot of people, thats if people are interested of course lol

I haven't been there for ages, it also has a zoo for people like me who don't like big rides. :)

Here is a link Mick!

Welcome to Drayton Manor (http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/)

uscwest
06-07-2009, 10:49 AM
As Donna says we have met many people over the years at either planned Disney meets or impromptu meets at other locations. We have become very good friends with many of you. There are still some we would love to meet (are you listening Keith and Tink?) and hope to do so some day. And of course Slowhand and his lovely wife and Wendy and Chris were most gracious hosts when we were in the UK in 2007. I wish we had a chance to spend more time on that trip also with Teresa, Robyn and Jack.

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I haven't been there for ages, it also has a zoo for people like me who don't like big rides. :)

Here is a link Mick!

Welcome to Drayton Manor (http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/)

well im not allowed to do the rides anymore because of my condition but would do either park maybe AT would be better if its a bigger park who knows. maybe put it to the test and see if anyone is interested

thx for the link mandy :)

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 10:53 AM
oh and also ive spoken to john [uscwest] on the phone via skype a few years back :)

Isafari
06-07-2009, 10:54 AM
oh and also ive spoken to john [uscwest] on the phone via skype a few years back :)

ahem ahem....you've chatted to me too....bet ya forgot :lol:

Mandy
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
well im not allowed to do the rides anymore because of my condition but would do either park maybe AT would be better if its a bigger park who knows. maybe put it to the test and see if anyone is interested

thx for the link mandy :)

Yeah maybe AT would be better!
Glad I could help Mick! :)

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
ahem ahem....you've chatted to me too....bet ya forgot :lol:

oh bummer yeah of course i called you when you did the dance at asda's

no no never forgot but did forget to post it :lol: sorry hun :hug2::hug2:

sunsetlakes
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Count us in for a theme park meet if we are around................... we'll behave, I promise! DM is easier to get to I think as AT has some back roads that get quite congested, but we'd be happy with either :thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
will have to start a thread on it then and see who is interested :D

Tink
06-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I've been brave enough to meet some folks. I've been at a large gathering (not a meet per se, but it was Disney oriented) and although I'm sure this may be misunderstood, I can't imagine my doing so again.

I've tried a very few small meets (with the exception of the one large gathering) and honestly, it's gone sour thereafter far too many times (granted with some, not all of the people at the gatherings, but it seems it goes sour with those you would least likely expect it to... :unsure:). Yes, I'm sensible enough to realize that it wouldn't always be that way, but it's happened often enough to scare me witless and drive me back into the shadows (where I do prefer to be).

So, I'll not be at any more meets, or future meetings. :sorry: I have come to the conclusion that I am far better a 'net personality than an in person-ality. :)

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 01:04 PM
awwwwww thats a shame as id have luvved to have met you tink at some point over there....nevermind :D

Johnie
06-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I've been brave enough to meet some folks. I've been at a large gathering (not a meet per se, but it was Disney oriented) and although I'm sure this may be misunderstood, I can't imagine my doing so again.

I've tried a very few small meets (with the exception of the one large gathering) and honestly, it's gone sour thereafter far too many times (granted with some, not all of the people at the gatherings, but it seems it goes sour with those you would least likely expect it to... :unsure:). Yes, I'm sensible enough to realize that it wouldn't always be that way, but it's happened often enough to scare me witless and drive me back into the shadows (where I do prefer to be).

So, I'll not be at any more meets, or future meetings. :sorry: I have come to the conclusion that I am far better a 'net personality than an in person-ality. :)

:hug2::hug2:

uscwest
06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
oh and also ive spoken to john [uscwest] on the phone via skype a few years back :)You know Mick I had forgotten all about that. LOL

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 05:06 PM
You know Mick I had forgotten all about that. LOL

:lol: obviously i hadnt :lol:

had that much of an impact did i :lol:

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
will have to start a thread on it then and see who is interested :D
I started one a couple of weeks ago and no one was interested :sorry:
Now this thread is started and everyone seems interested....was it something I said???:sorry::sorry::sorry:

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I started one a couple of weeks ago and no one was interested :sorry:
Now this thread is started and everyone seems interested....was it something I said???:sorry::sorry::sorry:

no of course not kelly :hug2::hug2::hug2:

i guess different place different response i dont know

Mari
06-07-2009, 05:11 PM
A few. One in Blackpool, camping in the new forest, regular meets with Dizneyblonde and the odd trip to the Skywatcher residence. Chessington meet with another forum.

:sorry: you forgot about meeting me :sorry:

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 05:12 PM
no of course not kelly :hug2::hug2::hug2:

i guess different place different response i dont know
I did say I was open to suggestions for places but no one answered me.....:sigh::lipwobble::cry1:

Mari
06-07-2009, 05:18 PM

:hug2:

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I did say I was open to suggestions for places but no one answered me.....:sigh::lipwobble::cry1:

awww sorry kelly, its happened to me too i wouldnt worry about it tho :hug2::hug2:

so stop your snivveling woman :wink: :lol:

sunsetlakes
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Awww Kelly, I haven't answered either yet so i'll answer you first (creep creep) :comfort: We'd love to come if the dates fit........................ as long as you'll let the rabble in :thumbsup:

sunsetlakes
06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
so stop your snivveling woman :wink: :lol:

Tell it how it then Mick, you're sooooo cruel :rotfl:

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Awww Kelly, I haven't answered either yet so i'll answer you first (creep creep) :comfort: We'd love to come if the dates fit........................ as long as you'll let the rabble in :thumbsup:
Are we going to a karaoke????:tongue:

sunsetlakes
06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Are we going to a karaoke????:tongue:

:ROFL1: Do you know any good songs :whistle:

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Tell it how it then Mick, you're sooooo cruel :rotfl:

:lol: no use beating about the bush is there :wink: :lol:

Mags
06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Ive met quite a few Disneyholics, including Mick! :taunt: I think I have been to 4 or 5 meets. They have all been good fun.

Margaret

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Ive met quite a few Disneyholics, including Mick! :taunt: I think I have been to 4 or 5 meets. They have all been good fun.

Margaret

oh thats very nice im sure :taunt: :lol:

piratekelly
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
:ROFL1: Do you know any good songs :whistle:
Heard some great songs lately...can't think where though! LOL.

Mags
06-07-2009, 06:00 PM
oh thats very nice im sure :taunt: :lol:

You wait! - Im off to post the pic you didnt want posted! :slap:

Margaret

Mandy
06-07-2009, 06:04 PM

Margaret

Go on Mags I can't wait to see that! :stirthepot::laughhard:

Dawn
06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
:sorry: you forgot about meeting me :sorry:

:doh:

I knew there was another one.

I met Mari and Tono at London Zoo. :D

ukwdwnut
06-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Margaret

i have the power to remove it :taunt: :lol:

Johnie
06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
and you smooched Tono! How could you forget that? :tongue:

Mags
06-07-2009, 06:59 PM
i have the power to remove it :taunt: :lol:

You do, but that would make you a power hungry Mod Mick :yes: and you would go waaaay down in my estimation. :lol:

Margaret

Mari
06-07-2009, 07:00 PM
and you smooched Tono! How could you forget that? :tongue:

exactly!

hahahahahahaha

Johnie
06-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Poor Tono is going to need some smooches from us Secrets ladies in order to get over this slight :yes:

ukwdwnut
07-07-2009, 07:17 AM
You do, but that would make you a power hungry Mod Mick :yes: and you would go waaaay down in my estimation. :lol:

Margaret

oh i better leave it where it is then :wink: :lol:

Mike
07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Through another similar site we went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach several times a few years ago, and generally had a good time.. if, as Tink found, some peoples' personalities weren't quite as attractive in the flesh as online, you could just leave them to it and go off in your own group.

There's also a core of closer mates and aquaintances that we have met up with in smaller groups whilst in WDW, including Mags, and we socialise with others who live near us in Lancashire.

Dorothy
07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
We've been to quite a few. We've made some very wonderful friends - in person!

That goes for me too and Donna and her husband John were my very first meet in person and fell in love with couple :hug2:

wdwgrandma
07-07-2009, 05:50 PM
That goes for me too and Donna and her husband John were my very first meet in person and fell in love with couple :hug2:
Meeting you at the airport, Dorothy, was a great honor and pleasure for us! The look on your face, and the big hug we received, made it all worth while!

wdwgrandma
07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Ah yes..my favorite!!! :hug2:
I'm pretty fond of that "meet" as well! :hug2: It was such a surprise to have someone walk up and ask if I was wdwgrandma! Oh my gosh! Holly was SO little then!

Beccaberry
07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I've met some of my dearest and best friends at 'net meets. :) There is something special about "meeting" someone who already "knows" you :)

keith
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I waved at you when you were on the monorail does that count as a meet?

Beccaberry
07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
For you and I? Absolutely. :D

Johnie
07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I waved at you when you were on the monorail does that count as a meet?

hmphm....not for me

kazzaqld
09-07-2009, 04:52 AM
I've not been to a "meet" as such but I've met lots of people on here! Oh wait we did have an informal meet at the GF in September last year with Slowhand and Rosie and their spouses, and Johnie, Becca, luvthemouse and families.

I've even lived at luvthemouse's house!

Spent a lovely day in Washington with wdwgrandma and uscwest

I've spoken to Dorothy on the phone!

Maybe we should try a Skype "meet" again sometime soon! (once I'm over this d*mn cold ok!)

iluvdisney
10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Id love to meet some of you especially at Disney :wiggle:

Jodie
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah I have, luckily it went well 'cos Teresa said she'd kick me out if I didn't behave and my train home wasn't for two more days after I got there!

Since that weekend we've met a couple more times at Claires adding a new friend each time, growing the group slowly!

I seem to behave better with fewer people, not sure why but it's why I avoid bigger gatherings but a smal group is great