PDA

View Full Version : Interesting set of pics

josh.p.
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Guys,

Not *my* pics but here is an idea of what is going on inside my eggs:
http://www.testudinae.com/400_fotos/405_ultimos_dias.html

This is a spanish-based site so perhaps Mari can do some translations if she is feeling nice LOL. :unsure:

My torts are about that size/shape now, but obviously my eggs still have their shells :yes:

So far, I've translated this, I'm a bit tired so will translate the rest later :yes::

Due to an accident in the last days of incubation of some indian star tortoise eggs, we could take photos of the activities and behaviour that the tortoise does before leaving the egg.

We can see that in the 2nd images the tortoise is still within the membrane, it is in a state of total lethargy, absorbing nutrients from the delicate veins (probably capilliaries?) that surround the bag. The tortoise remains inactive whilst he stays inside the membrane, which is permeable and permits the exchange of gases from outside.

Mari
09-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Well Lucky you!! hahaha

Here you go Josh

The absence of Chalazas (have no idea what that is ok.. checked wikipedia ) between the egg and the alantoid membrane can be observed in these images. The embryo is developing completly free inside the egg. This is the first reason that when we touch or move the eggs they have to be left in the same position they were found at, otherwise, we may damage the embryo since it wouldnt be protected by the chalaza, and the tortoise could die.

To prevent the loss of humidity and the embryo's dehydration we use a small plastci bag which provides a green house to keep humidity high around the half broken egg. The tortoise barely moves and is practically inactive and asleep.

On the second day of the egg being broken the tortoise is a bit more active. The entrance of oxygen has helped the animal mature and the membrane sorrounding it is starting to break. The tortoise is still not active but moves by stretching its body from time to time

(we'll keep going tomorrow, Tatiana just woke up and wants her milk!!])

josh.p.
09-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you Mari :hug2: was my translation OK?

Mari
09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
your translation was perfect! :)

josh.p.
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I must be better at Spanish then I thought then lol :D

Mari
09-07-2009, 04:56 PM
In the images above and belove we can see the caruncula? (false tooth use by all tortoises to break the egg) it is located below the nose. Aproximetly 2 weeks after their birth this appendix dissappears, since it is only useful for getting out of the egg.

On the 3rd day, the tortoise can breathe outside of the bag. Its movements are slow. It is still absorbing nutrients and opens its eyes from time to time. The Alantoid membrane has completetly dissappeared.

You can observe the huge size of the vitelum. The tortoise can barely move because of it, and continues to absorb nutrients

On the 4th and 5th day the tortoise is still very calm. The vitelum is smaller and it opens its eyes for longer periods of time.

On the 6th day the vitelum is smaller. The tortoise moves more and is more active. To prevent dehydration water if offered and the tortoise drinks it without problems.

the water drinking elevates the torts activity level and it leave behind the egg. By moving for over an hour it is able to break the reminder of the egg.

Outside of the egg, it rests for a long time. It is in perfect health and very active.

Vitelum size when tort left the egg

2 days after it has dissapeared

first food

Getting some water next to one of its sisters

5 months later weighing 49 grams.

:)

there you go :)

sunsetlakes
09-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks Josh for the link - how fascinating. Mari, I was all on edge waiting for the translation - hope Tatiana got her milk on time today - thank you so much for taking the time to let us know what the text said :hug2:

josh.p.
09-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Thank you :hug2:

The carancula is an 'egg tooth' which is a tiny little white blip that torts have to break out of the egg. A vitelum is what we call a 'Yolk Sack' where they get all their nutrients from :yes:

Thank you so much for translating :hug2:

Mari
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
you are more than welcomed :)

she did get her milk on time :)

Disneybumble
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Thank you Josh and Mari.
Goodness knows how your doing Josh. But Lily and l are getting very eggcited(sorry couldn't help it). Every day she asks about them.

josh.p.
09-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Thank you Josh and Mari.
Goodness knows how your doing Josh. But Lily and l are getting very eggcited(sorry couldn't help it). Every day she asks about them.
It'll be another 7-10 days before they start hatching :D Of course after what happened with Jade being so late going into labour, they will probably be 9 days out!

Disneybumble
09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Don't feed them curry then like you did to Jade then.:tongue:

josh.p.
09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
ROFL. Unfortunately eggs don't have toes :(

KelBelle
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
They r sooo cute. I want some lol xx

Mandy
10-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the link Josh the pics were amazing. :)

Karen
10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Those pics were really interesting. Thanks for the link.

Mari
10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
hahahaha... curry.... hahahaha