PDA

View Full Version : New Desktop PC help

mumof2
09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
here i go again! We have a budget of around 600 for a new PC.

It needs to be able to:

hold tons and tons and tons and tons of photos,
be good for the boys to watch videos on You Tube and such like,
be good for games,
be wireless ready,
be able to hold even more tons of downloads
be happy to hold all my crafting CD's with all their graphics,
be quick!
not sure what else at the moment!

does anybody have any ideas of an 'off the shelf' pc that would be suitable for all those things?

could probably do with a new laptop as well as this one's on it's way out i think so maybe wherever i buy the pc from would be willing to do a deal...worth a try, in which case does anyone have any recommendations for a lappy as well?

thank you for any help and advice you can give me, i used to know what i was looking for but i have absolutely no idea these days! :tongue:

ukwdwnut
09-07-2009, 02:07 PM
could point you in the right direction of getting a quadcore shed loads of hdd space and a few gig of ram for not much money certainly less than 600 squid

do you need a new screen and Operating System too M?

mumof2
09-07-2009, 02:09 PM
could point you in the right direction of getting a quadcore shed loads of hdd space and a few gig of ram for not much money certainly less than 600 squid

WHAT?!! speak English man - I no understand you foreign language!

do you need a new screen and Operating System too M?

screen, yes - operating system.....huh?

Mick, this is me you're talking to....I know nothing!

ukwdwnut
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
WHAT?!! speak English man - I no understand you foreign language!

screen, yes - operating system.....huh?

Mick, this is me you're talking to....I know nothing!

ok sorry M

OS is xp or vista :)

quadcore is a super fast processor

mumof2
09-07-2009, 02:13 PM
ok sorry M

OS is xp or vista :)

quadcore is a super fast processor

ohhhh! got ya!

whatever i need! i'm on xp2 at the moment which is fine, remember you sent me a disc? is vista any better?

ukwdwnut
09-07-2009, 02:23 PM
ohhhh! got ya!

whatever i need! i'm on xp2 at the moment which is fine, remember you sent me a disc? is vista any better?

ok

nah dont remember that did i really lol

ok

quadcore cpu
1terrabyte hard drive = 1024 gb
4gb memory
20" tft mon
vista home premium

mumof2
09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
ok

nah dont remember that did i really lol

ok

quadcore cpu
1terrabyte hard drive = 1024 gb
4gb memory
20" tft mon
vista home premium

ok, does that need to be built then or can i just unpack it and set it up? also, i think i'll need an external hard drive to transfer my files?

A relative showed me one where you link it (or them) up to 2 computers then just drag and drop the files.

Disneybumble
09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh Mairead :geekon:

ukwdwnut
09-07-2009, 02:57 PM
ok, does that need to be built then or can i just unpack it and set it up? also, i think i'll need an external hard drive to transfer my files?

A relative showed me one where you link it (or them) up to 2 computers then just drag and drop the files.

sugar i forgot you have to have it build etc so yeah 600 complet i think there or there abouts

mumof2
09-07-2009, 03:01 PM
sugar i forgot you have to have it build etc so yeah 600 complet i think there or there abouts

where would i get that from Mick?

mumof2
09-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh Mairead :geekon:

:point:

ukwdwnut
09-07-2009, 03:06 PM
where would i get that from Mick?

its a site that has a shop local to me near southend where i get all my kit from as its localish

email me M i dont have your addy on my lappy

mumof2
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
its a site that has a shop local to me near southend where i get all my kit from as its localish

email me M i dont have your addy on my lappy

okey dokey! :thumbsup:

josh.p.
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Can I just point you in the direction of... the apple store (http://store.apple.com/uk)? :D

Wouldn't be doing my job otherwise... :rofl:

mumof2
09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Can I just point you in the direction of... the apple store (http://store.apple.com/uk)? :D

Wouldn't be doing my job otherwise... :rofl:

oooh this'll make you jealous! My cousin we stay with in Ireland, their son in law is a techy for Apple and they've lived in Cali for years now after moving out there for his work!

anyway, my craft cds won't work on an Apple.

josh.p.
10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
oooh this'll make you jealous! My cousin we stay with in Ireland, their son in law is a techy for Apple and they've lived in Cali for years now after moving out there for his work!

anyway, my craft cds won't work on an Apple.
They will if you use parallels and install a copy of windows that can run alongside your OSX programs, as though they where made for mac :yes:

iluvdisney
10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I got a mac mini its a really tiny little thing, works with my old pc monitor and all my pc programs work perfectly on it :thumbsup:

josh.p.
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Download Q emulator for Mac - Feature packed Cocoa port of QEMU to run Linux, Windows, others. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20830/)

There is a free utility (it's not as polished as parallels, but it's gratis!) that acts like parallels.

mumof2
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
oh blimey, now I'm getting confused!

keith
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
oh blimey, now I'm getting confused!

Basically macs now run windows programs too so you can get the best of both worlds :yes: the mac mini is about 499

mumof2
10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
the thing is i know even less abpout Apples than i do about windows pcs!

keith
10-07-2009, 05:17 PM
the thing is i know even less abpout Apples than i do about windows pcs!

I dont want to sound like an advert but you dont NEED to know much about computers to use Macs. They just kinda "work"

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 05:21 PM
so there wont be a problem if you know nothing about any kinda a computer, but if you wanna get widows on a mac coz of your software who will do it for you something to think about M

mumof2
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
so there wont be a problem if you know nothing about any kinda a computer, but if you wanna get widows on a mac coz of your software who will do it for you something to think about M

mmmmm, there's a point

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
mmmmm, there's a point

sometimes its best to stick to what you know, why not wait til windows 7 comes out and get one then?

mumof2
10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
sometimes its best to stick to what you know, why not wait til windows 7 comes out and get one then?

when will that be Mick? we need to get one fairly soon as i'm not overly confident that my laptop will cope with all the abuse much longer!

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
when will that be Mick? we need to get one fairly soon as i'm not overly confident that my laptop will cope with all the abuse much longer!

what kind of abuse? will go check

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 05:38 PM
hmmmmm not until the 22nd of october but who is to say that wont change

mumof2
10-07-2009, 05:55 PM
what kind of abuse? will go check

well i shout at it a lot.....

and tell it off a lot for being too slow......

i haven't slapped it though.

but have probably overloaded it, and the usb ports are rubbish as they are so floppy, and the screen doesn't work so it's plugged into the pc screen!

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
well i shout at it a lot.....

and tell it off a lot for being too slow......

i haven't slapped it though.

but have probably overloaded it, and the usb ports are rubbish as they are so floppy, and the screen doesn't work so it's plugged into the pc screen!

omg :lol: no wonder its given up the ghost :lol:

why not get a new lappy then

mumof2
10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
omg :lol: no wonder its given up the ghost :lol:

why not get a new lappy then

wellll, we need a desktop AND a laptop to try and keep everyone happy. we hope to go wireless you see then 2 people can use the internet at once :thumbsup:

we do have a couple of older pc's here too that we were given but no internet connection on them although i would look into it if we went wireless.

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 06:08 PM
wellll, we need a desktop AND a laptop to try and keep everyone happy. we hope to go wireless you see then 2 people can use the internet at once :thumbsup:

we do have a couple of older pc's here too that we were given but no internet connection on them although i would look into it if we went wireless.

ok so what budget do you have overall....i just had to order 3 laptops for the school so can help on that

you only need some wireless dongles for those two and away you go

a router isnt too bad on your pocket either

let me know :)

mumof2
10-07-2009, 06:08 PM
i don't want to tempt fate but it *is* still going at the moment!

i was given a laptop, a toshiba or a panasonic i can't remember now but it may even be something else! it wouldn't switch on so i gave it to the techy relative and he took it to pieces at his workplace.

he's waiting for bits and pieces to see if he can get it going again but it's been a while now so i don't hold out much hope!

he does know what he's doing, works for one of the computer companies but the name escapes me right now. his house is full of computer stuff, he's just not too quick at sorting things out!

mumof2
10-07-2009, 06:11 PM
ok so what budget do you have overall....i just had to order 3 laptops for the school so can help on that

you only need some wireless dongles for those two and away you go

a router isnt too bad on your pocket either

let me know :)

we need to start with the pc first then maybe get round to the laptop later but if we can get the others 2 pc's linked up we should be good for a while!

overall budget, erm - 600-700 for now i guess, but less would be good!

ukwdwnut
10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
we need to start with the pc first then maybe get round to the laptop later but if we can get the others 2 pc's linked up we should be good for a while!

overall budget, erm - 600-700 for now i guess, but less would be good!

well i gave you a quote for some kit, top notch brands and real quick if you go the pc route :D

wireless dongles are from a tenner upwards

a router around 50 upwards for a good brand so all in your price range without the lappy and a good tosh for 350 dual core

mumof2
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
well i gave you a quote for some kit, top notch brands and real quick if you go the pc route :D

wireless dongles are from a tenner upwards

a router around 50 upwards for a good brand so all in your price range without the lappy and a good tosh for 350 dual core

ok thanks Mick, will talk to DH if he ever gets home from work today!

see how brainless I am, after i said i'd send you an email i went oto do it, read the emails i had there then logged out and only remembered when i read your one today! D'oh!

i opened the link and started to have a look but it just froze which is nothing unusual so i'll leave it 'til tomorrow now thanks :thumbsup:

josh.p.
10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
If you can install a program then you can install Windows onto a mac. It's really that simple (if not more simple!)

I don't wanna be ramming them down everyone's throat all the time, but seriously, if my Mum can use my mac, anyone can. :yes:

mumof2
10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
If you can install a program then you can install Windows onto a mac. It's really that simple (if not more simple!)

I don't wanna be ramming them down everyone's throat all the time, but seriously, if my Mum can use my mac, anyone can. :yes:

hmmmm, ask Mick whether he thinks I'll be able to!

josh.p.
10-07-2009, 07:57 PM
hmmmm, ask Mick whether he thinks I'll be able to!
You literally open parallels... install desktop.... enter the CD into the CD drive and then follow the instructions. Muy simple!

mumof2
11-07-2009, 08:53 AM
You literally open parallels... install desktop.... enter the CD into the CD drive and then follow the instructions. Muy simple!

ok, sounds simple.

haven't spoken to DH yet as he was late home and is at work again now so will do when i get the chance!

ieuanr
11-07-2009, 10:51 AM
If you look for a machine with Vista Business instead of Vista Home you will get a voucher to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it becomes available in October (ask before you buy.)

Vista Business is about 30 more expensive than Home Premium.

mumof2
11-07-2009, 11:11 AM
If you look for a machine with Vista Business instead of Vista Home you will get a voucher to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it becomes available in October (ask before you buy.)

Vista Business is about 30 more expensive than Home Premium.

cool! thanks for that info