PDA

View Full Version : credit card fraud

mainecoon lover
11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Just noticed that some toe rag has spent 470 on our amex card. Thankfully notice before the transaction went through. It means cards are cancelled but now i have to phone car hire company and company we are having shower chair through to change the credit card details . Apparently some one has spent it at Dell computer :furious::furious:

Debbie2
11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Oh what a pain. You wonder how they manage to get such high value items without proper ID checks don't you!

foreverducky
11-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Definitely not fun!

keith
11-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh what a pain. You wonder how they manage to get such high value items without proper ID checks don't you!

thats exactly it!

How come when WE use our credit cards legitimately we get all sorts of checks and phone calls blah blah, yet the toe rags can seemingly get away with ordering all sorts!

Britchick
11-07-2009, 02:00 PM
because they know exactly how the CC companies work? :unsure:

i'm sure i told you before but when we lived in the US i tried to use my barclays connect card they refused it- i rang them and they said that it wasn't authorised because it had been used in the US, i said so where does the statement go? eejits lol

mainecoon lover
11-07-2009, 02:11 PM
thats exactly it!

How come when WE use our credit cards legitimately we get all sorts of checks and phone calls blah blah, yet the toe rags can seemingly get away with ordering all sorts!

It makes you wonder were they get your number, expiry and last 3 digits from (although amex is 4). I always worry now when i phone to order something and give them all these details.
We were lucky i checked and that we had not put anything on there in 3 weeks after buying dh flight tickets.

premier travel
11-07-2009, 02:11 PM
My daughter and hubby had their card cloned in dixons as it was the only place they used their card together and over 1000 each went off their card in germany!

keith
11-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Well I had unknown transactions on my debit card earlier this year. Fair due, they called me up and alerted me, I said nope and they cancelled the card sent the new one out.

BEFORE I EVEN GOT the new one, I got a call, hi there, these transactions on your card. I was spluttering down the phone *I* Cant even make debit card transactions because my cards cancelled and theres a new one been sent out.

They said oh well we'll cancel that one and send you ANOTHER new one. If that one arrives, look to see if its been tampered with.

If it had, it was beyond my detection. envelope shut and so on. Anyway, guess what, yep, ANOTHER call.

This time I said look this is just plain stupid! The cards are being scammed before theyre even in my hands :( . The guy laughed!!!! oh dont worry you wont pay for them etc. I said yeah but come on, I've lost all confidence that its secure! but he just couldnt see to understand why I was bothered as long as I got the money back!

In the end because I really kicked off they did courier a card into my hands and that one has touch wood been ok so far but :/ The post office perhaps? Anyone remember that series where they showed post workers scamming cards :/

I just dont know but I've never felt secure about them since that time

Isafari
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
It is very worrying :yes:
Some of you may remember I had my account emptied last year.

josh.p.
11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I would be fuming- it's a good job I only have about 3 in my bank at the minute! Damn apple store. LOL

The thing that annoys me most about them spending 470 on your card.. is that for an extra 30 they could have bought a mac mini!!! :redface:

Glad it appears to be sorted, but how annoying that you have to re-arrange your plans!

Disneybumble
11-07-2009, 03:56 PM
It is disgraceful. What l would like to do to these toerags.

Mandy
12-07-2009, 12:50 PM
I know how you feel, we have had this done to us twice in two different banks, it isn't no fun. Hope you get it sorted very soon.

Tink
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Makes you want to go back to cash and hiding it in the mattress, eh? :sigh:

We too have had these problems. Herself had her number (NOT the card) stolen, and used in JC Penney when JC Penney would not let her use the CARD a couple of weeks prior, yet they took the number only, without ID and allowed charges to go through. Makes no sense. She's also had her card physically stolen (by a person in the building in which she used to work) which was no fun either. Debit cards in both cases.

Ummm...pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a toe rag? :unsure:

piglet
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Ummm...pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a toe rag? :unsure: :lol: Tink, will scum of the earth do it more for you? :yes:

sunsetlakes
12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Ummm...pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a toe rag? :unsure:

Its a sort of polite British way of calling someone a scoundrel without using excessive language :yes:

Hope you get things sorted out quickly and without too much hassle Michelle :hug2:

Taja
12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Grrrrr! Hope you get everything settled soon, Michelle!

I've been dealing with identity theft for about 10 years. It started with an unsolicited credit card offer in the mailbox, as far as anyone can tell. It still comes back to haunt me periodically. I have one credit card that I use for travel and emergencies, and I check it nearly every day. I don't carry a balance, as it has to be cancelled every year or two when someone pokes around, finds the information and charges the card or electronically accesses my bank account. I'm not even with any of the institutions where it previously happened. How on earth do they do it?

When Leu and Grandpa Sweetie took their anniversary trip to Las Vegas a couple of years ago, someone appropriated their card information at the restaurant where they had dinner. About $150 for dinner and a $10,000 fraudulent charge. :eek: They haven't had any problems since, thank goodness!

Tinker
13-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Very Scary !

Coolape
07-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Beware of key logging software or devices on your computers. These software or even devices can be undetectable in some cases.

Only do your online order from well known websites and from your own computer. I say this because if your doing it in work someone may be watching whether through a video camera, key logging software transmitting either wirelessly or even visually.

You can obtain these key log devices which attaches to your keyboard physically and they're so small unless you suspect it's there you wouldn't go looking for it. And let's be honest not many people even know you can do it. Be wary, be suspicious when ordering online. If it's a new website do your research, google can find a lot of information regarding businesses. I've even gone through the hassle of checking street view to check if a shop has been where their domain was shown to be registered at.

Good luck stay safe.

robertcraig
08-06-2014, 02:54 AM
I always tell the credit card I have the dates I will be in Florida and the only time I use my card is at the Disney resturants or major stores always pay for petrol by cash

Wendy
08-06-2014, 08:38 AM
We always use cash for fuel and restaurants. Chris likes to see his card at all times and doesn't like the card machines they bring to the table.

Esmeralda
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
See I don't get this... you're always told to never give anyone your 3 digit security code on the back of your card, yet anytime you purchase over the phone or internet you are asked for these and you have to give it over or not get the goods. So what are we supposed to do?

Coolape
08-06-2014, 04:25 PM
See I don't get this... you're always told to never give anyone your 3 digit security code on the back of your card, yet anytime you purchase over the phone or internet you are asked for these and you have to give it over or not get the goods. So what are we supposed to do?

I prefer to shop online than over the phone as I can verify the the connection to the website. The padlock thing in the corner. But like I said I also check the domain name registration details and make sure the contacts page and registered details match. I also check street view, and read up on any reviews online and make my mind up then.

People think I over complicate things, but then I've never had any problems from my end.

For instance eBay was recently compromised and I've had to reset my password on that account. Luckily my eBay password and paypal have different passwords and they don't match my email passwords either.

It's hard to keep track of my passwords but that's what the forgot password feature is for !

Oreo
10-06-2014, 03:14 PM
I had to change my ebay password recently as well.

I've not had any issues online (touch wood) but I go through the same process as above.

Genrally I tend to use the same websites amazon, ebay etc and its vary rare I use just a selection from google.

You do have a small amount of protection on your debit card these days (if it's visa) it's not quite as extensive as a credit card but there is a small amount of cover.

Britchick
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
i would not use the debit card on the internet after a couple of episodes of card fraud and certainly won't be doing any telephone transactions after we had 600 instead of 60 taken off our credit card. luckily on all occasions our CC provider has been fantastic and reinstated the money immediately. I see that as their money until i've paid my bill, if it's my current account it's my money

Wendy
10-06-2014, 05:34 PM
I would never use a debit card online, I wouldn't risk my current account.